Sign in to follow this  
Bills04

$175K for Mac Jones' football card?!

The rookies and draft picks, those are the cards that cost big money now

it is mostly a function of how many rookie cards were printed.

likely they did not anticipate the demand because he wasnt a high draft pick so they never printed many rookie cards.

then when he became a player demand outpaced supply.   he may have got crushed in the playoffs, but he made the playoffs in his rookie year.  Not a lot of QB's can say that.

I don't know if you guys read the article or not, but it's not a valuable card just because it's Mac Jones; it's a valuable card because it was the only one of its kind printed.  Opening that pack of football cards from their first box on the first day of its release was like Charlie finding the Golden Ticket.  And the squeals of that kid when he first sees the card (about 4:20 in the video) are priceless.

It could have been David Clowney; the only thing that mattered was its scarcity.

Doesn't surprised a bit with the way some of the new contracts that players have gotten recently. Guess we'll feel that at the stadium too with increased ticket prices, food prices and increased prices for player/team gear. Probably have to pay to go to the bathroom too. Stuff just getting too expensive yet people will pay the price regardless.

9 hours ago, DocNiner said:

Doesn't surprised a bit with the way some of the new contracts that players have gotten recently. Guess we'll feel that at the stadium too with increased ticket prices, food prices and increased prices for player/team gear. Probably have to pay to go to the bathroom too. Stuff just getting too expensive yet people will pay the price regardless.

wut?

On 6/9/2022 at 1:15 AM, Ray_T said:

it is mostly a function of how many rookie cards were printed.

likely they did not anticipate the demand because he wasnt a high draft pick so they never printed many rookie cards.

then when he became a player demand outpaced supply.   he may have got crushed in the playoffs, but he made the playoffs in his rookie year.  Not a lot of QB's can say that.

yes its a function of how many were printed.... in this case, 1. But it's not that they didn't anticipate the demand. when you print the cards, you control their relative worth. The fact that collectors know they might have a shot at a card like this is why the company's boxes of cards sell for the crazy prices they do.

• Like 1

My bigger question, not being a card geek, is how they immediately knew they had a lottery winner card. Does panini list on their site which cards are the rarest for their upcoming releases?

I had always assumed you were just happy to get any rookie card, especially a rookie autograph of a player you thought could become an all star, pro bowler etc and watch it go up in value. 

On 6/10/2022 at 4:38 PM, Donkey said:

wut?

I think he’s trying to say this explains Kaep’s comparison of the NFL combine and a slave auction.

1 hour ago, WhiteWonder said:

My bigger question, not being a card geek, is how they immediately knew they had a lottery winner card.

His father operates a sports card business, Stone Sports Cards, so they probably have a pretty good idea of what's valuable.

50 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

His father operates a sports card business, Stone Sports Cards, so they probably have a pretty good idea of what's valuable.

well, the article Made it sound more like a hobby business…. But…Yes, I’m sure they do. My question was how do they know? I expect avid collectors to know. I was just curious if there is somewhere specific they get their info from. 

6 hours ago, WhiteWonder said:

yes its a function of how many were printed.... in this case, 1. But it's not that they didn't anticipate the demand. when you print the cards, you control their relative worth. The fact that collectors know they might have a shot at a card like this is why the company's boxes of cards sell for the crazy prices they do.

of course.   

its all about money.   though you never know who is going to be valuable.   if less rookie cards were printed for rookie Joe schmo, nobody will care.   a few hardcore collectors might, but when joe schmo becomes a star, then those cards are a gold mine.

I"m sure the shortaged for mac Jones rookie cards wasnt by accident.  it was a speculative move by the card company to get people to buy the cards at top dollar.

I have no doubt of that.  I'm sure they also print some limited numbers of cars for certain stars too for the same reason.

3 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

But you’re an expert on everything 😂

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, WhiteWonder said:

My bigger question, not being a card geek, is how they immediately knew they had a lottery winner card. Does panini list on their site which cards are the rarest for their upcoming releases?

I had always assumed you were just happy to get any rookie card, especially a rookie autograph of a player you thought could become an all star, pro bowler etc and watch it go up in value. 

Because it's a Mac Jones RC Prizm Black 1 of 1.  The Black Prizm 1 of 1 isn't new just this year and Mac Jones is the top or close to the top selling football RC this year.

28 minutes ago, Gepetto said:

Because it's a Mac Jones RC Prizm Black 1 of 1.  The Black Prizm 1 of 1 isn't new just this year and Mac Jones is the top or close to the top selling football RC this year.

Thank you

19 hours ago, WhiteWonder said:

Yes, I believe they list somewhere what special inserts are included in the entire run...along with the ratios.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, shovelheadt said:

Yes, I believe they list somewhere what special inserts are included in the entire run...along with the ratios.

there is a good chance they even know exacly how many cards actually were printed.

On 6/15/2022 at 5:44 PM, WhiteWonder said:

The rarer cards will usually have a number showing how many were printed.  So you can see if it's 1/5, or 1/10  or in this case a 1 of 1They also make different "parallels" which is simply a different pattern on the card but the same picture. They make the rare cards to keep people interested. 

The Hoody said he’s seen dramatic improvement with Jones , his down field game looks better, I think Parker is going to be a steal if, and it’s a big if he can stay healthy at his current adp. 

Thanks