Cloaca du jour

Media Event!! Jan 6th Propaganda!! Tonight!! Official Thread!!

51 minutes ago, Fnord said:

This is a good summary with plenty of links

Appreciate you and your willingness to look into this. If you have questions after looking this over, just ask. I don’t have time to try to summarize the largest investigation in DOJ history in a readable post.

But to your point about the 187 minutes rising to the level of criminality, he was the POTUS, and he took an oath to defend the US against enemies foreign and domestic.  He let a violent riot go on at the Capitol, where one of the most fundamental procedures in our nation was occurring, for over three hours. He knew the crowd was armed, and he knew what they were there to do. He knew members of Congress and his own VP were in danger. He did nothing other than watch Fox News and make phone calls to people like Rudy Giuliani; not to police, National Guard, or any other agency that could lend support to the police on the ground. Calling that a gross dereliction of duty is being incredibly gracious.

Did you get this from IMDb? Actually, probably from a site not as reputable. :lol:

35 minutes ago, Fnord said:

This is a good summary with plenty of links

Appreciate you and your willingness to look into this. If you have questions after looking this over, just ask. I don’t have time to try to summarize the largest investigation in DOJ history in a readable post.

But to your point about the 187 minutes rising to the level of criminality, he was the POTUS, and he took an oath to defend the US against enemies foreign and domestic.  He let a violent riot go on at the Capitol, where one of the most fundamental procedures in our nation was occurring, for over three hours. He knew the crowd was armed, and he knew what they were there to do. He knew members of Congress and his own VP were in danger. He did nothing other than watch Fox News and make phone calls to people like Rudy Giuliani; not to police, National Guard, or any other agency that could lend support to the police on the ground. Calling that a gross dereliction of duty is being incredibly gracious.

I appreciate the link and will check it out.  I agree that his delay in calling off the protestors was not nice, and I concede again that he delayed, but I'm still not clear that it was a crime.  Regarding the bolded, let's be clear -- unless I'm missing something, I'm guessing that the ability to increase security at the Capitol at no point hinges on a direct order by the POTUS.  That is, there were plenty of channels available to provide security independent of Trump.  I believe that police and National Guard would fall under such available channels.  Actually I think everything short of deploying the military would be as such.  So I don't believe that is part of the potential crime he committed.  If you disagree, let me know.  Otherwise, the crime was waiting 3 hours to send a message to the protesters. :cheers: 

@Fnord I just scanned through your link; that's a lot of info, not what I would call a brief summary.  Or even a summary.  But looking at the intro:

Thursday night’s prime-time January 6 committee hearing explored the 187 minutes that Donald Trump refused to call off his violent mob during the Capitol insurrection, featuring damning live and video testimony from former senior officials, along with text messages from GOP allies, family members, and Fox News hosts. The message, over and over, was that those close to Trump wanted him to do something for hours. Instead, he watched TV. 

The latest public hearing follows previous proceedings in which the bipartisan congressional committee further exposed Trump’s election lies (which even some close allies privately dismissed); his pressure campaigns on Mike Pence and Republican state election officials; his efforts to subvert the Justice Department; his allegedly heated exchange with Secret Service agents; and the role of right-wing extremist groups in the deadly attack on the U.S. Capitol, an attempt to stop the certification of Joe Biden’s clear and decisive victory. 

Looks like the main thing is the delayed message.  The second paragraph lists four things; going backwards:  it doesn't appear that he is directly linked to the right wing groups' actions, so that is nothing.  Heated exchange with secret service, pfft.  The first two could have some legs; I've long said that the phone call Trump had with the Georgia SoS is the most damning thing I've heard.  But I'm not sure asking people to delay in and of itself is grounds for a crime, if he truly believed the election was fraudulent.  It's hard to distill it from your source, which is severely Left biased.

1 hour ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

“The crowd was armed”. Lol 🤡

ARMED

Dunno where to post this. Could've made it's own thread but seems too minor.

There's a good chance that another of the ten pro-impeachment Republicans that initially looked like they prevailed on August 2nd, gets tossed aside in the primaries after all. That'd be Jaime Herrera-Beutler in Washington. 

As more and more late breaking ballots are going Joe Kent's way, her initial lead has been cut from ~5000 to 247. Counting has to be finished by August 16 and it's so close a recount will likely result one way or the other, by whoever finishes in third (Washington is an open primary state, the Dem candidate came in first with 31%. Also voting there is conducted by mail which accounts for the maddeningly slow results).

https://www.opb.org/article/2022/08/06/southwest-washington-congressional-primaries-joe-kent-herrera-beutler/

Anytime I see someone bring up January 6th (usually in Twitter comments) to try and demean Republicans I chuckle and move on. It’s sad that some people still think it was real. 

2 minutes ago, avoiding injuries said:

Anytime I see someone bring up January 6th (usually in Twitter comments) to try and demean Republicans I chuckle and move on. It’s sad that some people still think it was real. 

Yep, sad to see so many Americans brainwashed into thinking this was a big deal.

4 minutes ago, avoiding injuries said:

Same people that didn’t care that cars were lit on fire and store windows broke at Trumps inauguration. 

• Confused 1

It’s amusing, and sad, that those on the left attempt to shield the catastrophic multitude of violence done by the left by hiding behind the short lived incident on Jan 6.  It’s like comparing a Boulder to a pebble. 

3 minutes ago, craftsman said:

And yet this liberal administration acts like a bunch of Hitlers in how they operate. 

Strange, huh?

Fascism is a far-right ideology. 

When launch at attack on your own government, get giddy over the possibility of your vice president getting executed and do everything from filing lawsuits to attempting to mobilize the military to keep yourself in power, that's fascism at its funny.

If Trump had the same power Hitler had during the 1930s, we'd be living in a real-life version of "The Handmaid's Tale" these days.

Under his eye!

7 minutes ago, craftsman said:

And yet this liberal administration acts like a bunch of Hitlers in how they operate. 

Strange, huh?

Trump was letting people keep their money.  Biden just more than doubled the IRS. More federal agents. Just like Hitler. 🤡

23 minutes ago, Pimpadeaux said:

Fascism is a far-right ideology. 

When launch at attack on your own government, get giddy over the possibility of your vice president getting executed and do everything from filing lawsuits to attempting to mobilize the military to keep yourself in power, that's fascism at its funny.

If Trump had the same power Hitler had during the 1930s, we'd be living in a real-life version of "The Handmaid's Tale" these days.

Under his eye!

No chance. Trump tried to give power to the people. The liberals in this government want full power over every citizen and business as well as their property.

I don't think anyone in this country wants to take over the world, that's why today's liberal leadership are better compared to communists.

take you beatings like men, azzwipes.

20 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Trump was letting people keep their money.  Biden just more than doubled the IRS. More federal agents. Just like Hitler. 🤡

Liberals should stop changing the meanings of words, maybe they wouldn't be so completely backwards on what reality is. 

55 minutes ago, craftsman said:

No chance. Trump tried to give power to the people. The liberals in this government want full power over every citizen and business as well as their property.

I don't think anyone in this country wants to take over the world, that's why today's liberal leadership are better compared to communists.

The people voted him out of office, and he turned into a petulant sore loser, with even his own judges swatting down the frivolous, lie-invested lawsuits.

Worst. President. Ever.

3 minutes ago, Pimpadeaux said:

The people voted him out of office, and he turned into a petulant sore loser, with even his own judges swatting down the frivolous, lie-invested lawsuits. 

Worst. President. Ever.

Absolutely yes to your first sentence. 

Absolutely no to your second sentence. 

2 minutes ago, Bert said:

Are you including Jefferson Davis?

Just now, Bert said:

If Biden and Trump face each other again in 2024, I'll almost certainly be voting for the Forward candidate, depending on how they develop between now and then. 

5 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

Are you including Jefferson Davis?

No just presidents since the 60s.

Worst is Carter hands down.

Biden

Trump

W

LBJ

Obama

Nixon.

7 minutes ago, Pimpadeaux said:

If Biden and Trump face each other again in 2024, I'll almost certainly be voting for the Forward candidate, depending on how they develop between now and then. 

I hope to god neither of those fock chops run again in 2024.

• Like 1

Just now, Bert said:

I totally agree. 

3 minutes ago, Bert said:

2 minutes ago, Pimpadeaux said:

I totally agree. 

Thirded.

Also Bert, you forgot Clinton in your list.  :cheers:

Worst 3 presidents ever.

1. Biden

2. Obama

3. Carter

Some of the worst policies to ever be implemented ever. Obama was just a severe racist. What a disaster they all were/are.

3 hours ago, jerryskids said:

Thirded.

Also Bert, you forgot Clinton in your list.  :cheers:

I'll take 4th on that.

Also, I was wondering why Clinton was missed?

Seeing has Bill Clinton has backtracked and expressed regret for the three biggest legislative measures that he achieved I think his standing has been diminished over time. 

No one who wants to make a list of "worst presidents" and then lists 3 of the last 4 democrat presidents can be taken seriously.

It's pretty universally accepted that Andrew Johnson was the worst- either him or Buchanan. Millard Fillmore. and Harding pretty high up there.

Carter was middle of the road but closer to the back end. 

On the previous 4 before Biden. Clinton is probably close to top 10 without the big scandal. As it is he still is probably top 16-18. W. is usually ranked too low. Obama too high. Trump does not have enough history between his Presidency and the present. Time will tell. I'd say somewhere around Carter overall. 

8 minutes ago, Sean Mooney said:

No one who wants to make a list of "worst presidents" and then lists 3 of the last 4 democrat presidents can be taken seriously.

It's pretty universally accepted that Andrew Johnson was the worst- either him or Buchanan. Millard Fillmore. and Harding pretty high up there.

On the previous 4 before Biden. Clinton is probably close to top 10 without the big scandal. As it is he still is probably top 16-18. W. is usually ranked too low. Obama too high. Trump does not have enough history between his Presidency and the present. Time will tell. I'd say somewhere around Carter overall. 

But what if they in fact are the worst? :dunno:

3 minutes ago, craftsman said:

But what if they in fact are the worst? :dunno:

They aren't. You are just toeing your silly line. 

10 minutes ago, Sean Mooney said:

They aren't. You are just toeing your silly line. 

They are. I'm not toeing any line. 

25 minutes ago, Sean Mooney said:

History by Mooney, a truly unbiased author. What do you think of Clinton repealing Glass Steagall? That worked out great. What am I doing here? You haven’t a clue as to what I’m talking about. 

4 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

History by Mooney, a truly unbiased author. What do you think of Clinton repealing Glass Steagall? That worked out great. What am I doing here? You haven’t a clue as to what I’m talking about. 

Oh you mean the act that created differences between investment and commercial banking? The same Glass Steagall act that the politician who proposed it tried to immediately repeal it in 1933. The same one that had all kinds of controversial court opinions that were put out and overturned in the 60's and 70's. The one that politicians had talked about repealing in the 80's under Reagan. The one that was replaced and that replacement created all kinds of debate as to whether it led to the housing bubble popping in 2007?

I'm familiar. I would have done a little more to assure that the adjustments didn't torpedo anything. 

And I am far more unbiased than you or utilit99.