Sign in to follow this  
wiffleball

Leo Mcgarry on Scotch...and Alcoholism

Only Aaron Sorkin, who is an admitted addict and John Spencer who was an admitted alcoholic, could pair together to create scene s that kills every time.

https://youtu.be/Ma3d-YdLjCs

I mean, there's not an alcoholic out there who wasn't thinking, get the hell out of my head. And the fact that the audio caught the clinking of the ice in the glass how perfectly weighted leaded glass bottom with a perfectly formed ice cube? It's the little things that get you.

Honestly, my favorite character of all time. 

I don't care what your politics are. Useless f**** like UTI will. But I don't. This scene stands alone. As do others. Without agenda or bias. The scene stands alone. Because it captures humanity in a way that is rarely seen in today's television Mass market or Hollywood CGI. 

https://youtu.be/Ll6GxYVJcuo

Man, I really wish you guys would have been more moved by this. It really is probably the most moving television. Most impactful. That I can think of.

I hate that half the country blew the show off because it didn't fit their political agenda. But so much of it was just an homage to pure humanity. To America at its finest.  Not what it was. Not what it should be. But what it could be.

Honestly wonder how many alcoholics  were legitimately moved by this. Because there's never been a more open or honest scene about that that I've ever seen.

As much as I cannot stand you sometimes, I remember you posting this year’s ago. Always resonates with me. Great scene and captures the essence of what it’s like to be an alcoholic. Through and through. The next scene is almost better. Thanks man. 

18 hours ago, wiffleball said:

Only Aaron Sorkin, who is an admitted addict and John Spencer who was an admitted alcoholic, could pair together to create scene s that kills every time.

I mean, there's not an alcoholic out there who wasn't thinking, get the hell out of my head. And the fact that the audio caught the clinking of the ice in the glass how perfectly weighted leaded glass bottom with a perfectly formed ice cube? It's the little things that get you.

Great scene..great episode.   Loved that show.  Even though it was pretty liberal, I still liked it a lot.

19 hours ago, wiffleball said:

I've seen that scene and love it.  

But I've never really watched the show, maybe caught a little of an episode here or there.  Not sure why as I've heard great things about it.  I think initially it seemed odd to have Martin Sheen as the prez; in my mind he was the prez in The Dead Zone, and that was... a different kind of role.  :dunno: 

2 hours ago, jerryskids said:

I've seen that scene and love it.  

But I've never really watched the show, maybe caught a little of an episode here or there.  Not sure why as I've heard great things about it.  I think initially it seemed odd to have Martin Sheen as the prez; in my mind he was the prez in The Dead Zone, and that was... a different kind of role.  :dunno: 

Yaah..I hate everything Leonardio DiCaprio is in now too cause of Titanic  🙄

1 hour ago, supermike80 said:

Yaah..I hate everything Leonardio DiCaprio is in now too cause of Titanic  🙄

It's a little different, he played the POTUS in both.

Also I just said I'm not really sure why I never watched it, but I do remember that Dead Zone role.

Interestingly, The West Wing is essentially a spinoff from the movie The American President. Wherein Martin Sheen played Leo McGarry's role.

Aaron Sorkin wrote that movie. And, just a bit of trivia? Martin Sheen wasn't the only carryover from that to the TV series . Josh Molina  appeared later in the series was as well.

And, from memory, I believe Josh Molina was also in sports night. Which was a deeply underrated Show in and of itself.

1 hour ago, jerryskids said:

It's a little different, he played the POTUS in both.

Also I just said I'm not really sure why I never watched it, but I do remember that Dead Zone role.

Just giving you crap

"Cause thats what sons do for old friends of their fathers...."

What a great line

Sorkin can write

3 hours ago, supermike80 said:

What a great line

Sorkin can write

Yes, he can. 

3 hours ago, supermike80 said:

What a great line

Sorkin can write

So I feel stupid asking for this, but where was this particular line?

I guess I should post this. And maybe I will. But one of the lines that just devastated me. Was when Josh and Donna were arguing about her ex-boyfriend. Her BF apparently stopped for a beer on his way to visit Donna in the hospital after she just had a car wreck.

Josh: (snarky, superior) I'm just saying, if you were in a car wreck I wouldn't stop for a beer.

Donna: (soto voce): if you got hit by a car, I wouldn't stop for red lights.

5 hours ago, wiffleball said:

Elsewhere in the show. Leo asked Josh, who was working for front runner Hoynes, to come see barely running candidate Jed Bartlett. Josh realizes Bartlett is the real thing, quits, and the dream team is assembled.

Season one episode... 2 or 3 I wanna say?

On 6/18/2022 at 2:27 AM, wiffleball said:

Season 2 ep one.   They were walking and Leo asked Josh to come see Bartlet speak at something.  Josh asked him why and that's when Leo gave that line.  

4 hours ago, supermike80 said:

Season 2 ep one.   They were walking and Leo asked Josh to come see Bartlet speak at something.  Josh asked him why and that's when Leo gave that line.  

You know, I remember that now. Thank you. 

"You're right. I Rodgered you good on that one. You're right. And if you vote for the other guy because I tried to keep milk a little bit cheaper for kids and families, I don't blame you at all'.

It's a paraphrase. Probably a bad one. It's been at least 10 years since I saw that last. But it was the moment that he realized that Bartlett was the real deal.

"The streets of heaven are too crowded with angels tonight."

I weep every time. 

Every Damn Time.

One of my and my wife's faves.   When the President was in the hospital and Margaret(Leo's secretary) came up

Margaret:  "I can sign the Presidents name.  I've gotten pretty good at it"

Leo: "You can sign the President's name?"

Margaret:  "Yes!"

Leo: "On a document removing him from power and giving it to someone else?!"

Margaret:  "I guess the white house counsel wouldn't like that huh."

Leo: "I think the white house counsel would call that a coup d'etat!"

Margaret:  "I guess I'd do some time for that"

Leo "I would think!"