Sign in to follow this  
wiffleball

So I used to be a degreed corporate tax director. For the largest companies in the world.

5 minutes ago, Strike said:

Why don't we try educating people on investing, such as teaching the theory of compounding?  You know, teach a man how to fish and all that.  Also, let's get rid of government run lotteries.

I have been preaching money management in grade schools and high schools forever. Not just some dumb ass class on how to write a check, but rather what debt can do to a person's life if they don't take responsibilty. 

They should have 4 years of it in high school. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jerryskids said:

We'll see if inflation goes up or down as we slowly increase the rates.

Unless all the recent policies that caused this massive inflation on EVERYFOCKINGTHING change it's going to get worse and this administration focking knows it. 

I took basic business administration in 9th grade.  They went over concepts like compound interest.  The only problem was the teacher was terrible.  He barely understood the concepts himself.

IIRC, the reason interest rates correlate to inflation can be seen in a simple bank account.  If inflation (i.e., cost of living) goes up X, then interest on, say, a savings account needs to go up X or greater.  Otherwise people are losing money on the savings and nobody will do that investment (theoretically).  In other words, expected returns on investments are set at some delta up from inflation, correlated to risk/reward.

This is how it worked in the mid 90s.  A whole lot has changed since then though, so maybe the old model doesn't work any more.  :dunno:

5 hours ago, JustinCharge said:

i didnt say it had to be a 401k.  could be anything, really.  but it should be something to rekindle the American people's interest in investment over spending.

whats funny about this BTW is the guy who falsely claimed i predicted a civil war tried to mock me in this thread, and now people are falsely claiming i called for two different 401ks  where the fock is the reading comprehension? :lol:

6 hours ago, Strike said:

Why don't we try educating people on investing, such as teaching the theory of compounding?  You know, teach a man how to fish and all that.  Also, let's get rid of government run lotteries.

Compound fish?  🐠🤨

1 hour ago, JustinCharge said:

whats funny about this BTW is the guy who falsely claimed i predicted a civil war tried to mock me in this thread, and now people are falsely claiming i called for two different 401ks  where the fock is the reading comprehension? :lol:

1)  Can't speak for anyone else but I never said you called for two different 401k's.  However, I wanted you to clarify WHY someone wouldn't just use their pre-existing 401k instead of whatever type of investment you're proposing.  I was hoping you had thought it through a little more.  There are a lot of investment options NOW.  If people aren't using them already why would they use the new, improved option pushed by the government no one trusts?

2)  You said, and I quote,

then also create a NEW investment vehicle, something like a 401k

Yeah, I can't even imagine why anyone might think you were proposing something like a 401k.  It's not like you said "something like a 401k."  Oh, wait, except you did.

I award you no points and may god have mercy on your soul.

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, JustinCharge said:

That's how they fixed the inflation in the 1970s.  The Fed jacked up interest rates to the sky.  It ended inflation and crashed the economy, creating what we refer to as the "recession of 1982".  In 1982, people felt Reagan was a one-termer due to the crash.  But the economy rebounded strongly by 1984 and he got a second term.  Most economists expected inflation to take off again in 1983, 1984, etc.  But it did not.  Economists say the reason inflation stayed low during the rebound was the emergence of discount brokerages and popularity of 401ks, which meant when people regained purchasing power, they used a lot of it to buy stocks instead of things, so the inflation was transferred into stock prices as we got the start of a 20 year stock market boom.

this actually is pretty good. 

By the way, I swear to god, I hope real estate agents go the way of travel agents. Most worthless m************ on the planet.

I'm no expert on this and reading this thread it's obvious that lot of people know more about it than me. That said, since apparently this tactic is the same one that succeeded in reigning in inflation in the early 80s, the lat time it was this bad, I'm on board. Hopefully it works.

16 hours ago, GutterBoy said:

OK, how would you reduce inflation?

He could jump in front of a train which would decrease the amount of people demanding things by 1.

It's worth a shot. 

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, JustinCharge said:

You don't think this sounds like someone predicting a civil war?

These are direct quotes from you,

"I predict they will shift their tone & threaten Civil War before election day."

"you realize the same thing is probably gonna happen here when a civil war happens?"

"It wasn't until we were deep into the civil war that people started to say "Hey! This is actually a really real war here!"  I expect that to repeat in a second civil war.  The first attacks will be seen as minor skirmishes but nothing big."

"Traditionally, the final act before war is to close the borders between the two rivals.  So just before civil war starts, we might lots of right wing and left wing cities and states banning trade and travel with each other.  Maybe i need to get out of california."

"Were damn lucky a civil war didn't start off of 1/6.  We had a few elected Republicans call for some kind of secession but it was muted.    won't be as muted the next time there's a divisive event.  I predict some of you will listen to my advice and get passports.  Make sure you get them by December 2022 tho.  There's a massive backlog btw."

"liberalism is a mental illness.  They wont see the danger behind these sort of actions.  If we cant stop it peacefully, there will be a civil war."

"there pretty much has to be a civil war because the democrats wont allow for any reasonable thought.  with trump gone and the public seemingly accepting that, they are gonna push ten times as hard now."

1 hour ago, Hawkeye21 said:

You don't think this sounds like someone predicting a civil war?

These are direct quotes from you,

"I predict they will shift their tone & threaten Civil War before election day."

"you realize the same thing is probably gonna happen here when a civil war happens?"

"It wasn't until we were deep into the civil war that people started to say "Hey! This is actually a really real war here!"  I expect that to repeat in a second civil war.  The first attacks will be seen as minor skirmishes but nothing big."

"Traditionally, the final act before war is to close the borders between the two rivals.  So just before civil war starts, we might lots of right wing and left wing cities and states banning trade and travel with each other.  Maybe i need to get out of california."

"Were damn lucky a civil war didn't start off of 1/6.  We had a few elected Republicans call for some kind of secession but it was muted.    won't be as muted the next time there's a divisive event.  I predict some of you will listen to my advice and get passports.  Make sure you get them by December 2022 tho.  There's a massive backlog btw."

"liberalism is a mental illness.  They wont see the danger behind these sort of actions.  If we cant stop it peacefully, there will be a civil war."

"there pretty much has to be a civil war because the democrats wont allow for any reasonable thought.  with trump gone and the public seemingly accepting that, they are gonna push ten times as hard now."

I know you read that but he totally didn't predict a Civil War.....just a war that would be civilly done. 

Two totally different things. 

3 hours ago, Sean Mooney said:

He could jump in front of a train which would decrease the amount of people demanding things by 1.

It's worth a shot. 

You would be much less missed I'm sure. You provide no skills that can't be replaced by a grade school graduate. You provide no positive impact on anyone's life. And the world would have one less groomer which would help in many ways.  :thumbsup:

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1