Sign in to follow this  
edjr

NFLPA planning aggressive defense for ‘unprecedented’ Deshaun Watson punishment

https://nypost.com/2022/06/16/nflpa-preparing-aggressive-defense-for-deshaun-watson/?dicbo=v2-855999fa4a5bd385379c04dae1084623

As the NFL continues to prolong its investigation into the sexual misconduct allegations against Deshaun Watson, the NFL Players Association is reportedly preparing an aggressive defense strategy in support of the Browns quarterback.

In the chance that Watson faces an “unprecedented” punishment by the league, the union will take specific aim at the NFL’s handling of Commanders owner Daniel Snyder, Patriots owner Robert Kraft, and Cowboys owner Jerry Jones concerning their separate off-field controversies, according to Pro Football Talk.

The union’s argument will reportedly be that the punishment of Watson is not proportional to the punishment of those owners — with an emphasis on the NFL’s Personal Conduct Policy, which states: “Ownership and club or league management have traditionally been held to a higher standard and will be subject to more significant discipline when violations of the Personal Conduct Policy occur.”

According to PFT, the union will argue that Snyder, Kraft and Jones received little to no punishment in the aftermath of their separate situations.

Snyder found himself in hot water this year after accusations of a toxic workplace, including sexual harassment allegations within the Commanders organization. A separate report stated that Washington was hiding money from the rest of the league by using two different accounting systems.

In 2019, Kraft was seen on camera engaging in sex acts in a South Florida massage parlor, not long before the Patriots team won its sixth Super Bowl. Although Kraft was charged with solicitation, a judge ruled in January that the footage of Kraft and other customers must be erased because they were filmed during unlawful surveillance, according to the South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

As for Jones, the union will argue that the league failed to investigate the voyeurism scandal involving former Cowboys P.R. chief Rich Dalrymple — including questions of what Jones knew, and whether he knew that Dalrymple was secretly recording multiple cheerleaders while they changed their clothes, PFT reported.

Even if he gets an entire year, he only loses 1 million in salary due to that joke of a contract.

He'll get a year minimum, and he needs to settle fast, probably for at least a mil each, $26M

1 minute ago, GutterBoy said:

He'll get a year minimum, and he needs to settle fast, probably for at least a mil each, $26M

Each ho will get 250 and the lawyer gets 750 per

Wow. Two expressions come to mind:

Is that (DW) really the hill you want to die on?

And, killing the golden goose...

Krafty Bob was pretty much caught yellow handed at the massage parlor. Everyone knows he went there to get a tug. 

3 hours ago, edjr said:

Krafty Bob was pretty much caught yellow handed at the massage parlor. Everyone knows he went there to get a tug. 

They had him on focking video getting that tug. :banana:

Goodell said no to the Commissioner's Exempt list a while back, but he could bring it back on the table for the additional lawsuits. Then suspend him next year when his salary jumps.

4 hours ago, MDC said:

The Browns :doh: 

Top ten organizations of any type dumber than the brownies. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, MDC said:

The Browns :doh: 

Doubtful they were winning anything with Baker this year. Worth it for Watson in 2023 and beyond. 

4 hours ago, shorepatrol said:

They had him on focking video getting that tug. :banana:

As much as I would love to see Kraft get crucified for this at least it was a clear cut rub and tug situation.  No harm no foul (unless he popped off in her eye).

A lot less creepy than going thru 66 massage therapists while claiming it was legit. 

7 hours ago, DonS said:

As much as I would love to see Kraft get crucified for this at least it was a clear cut rub and tug situation.  No harm no foul (unless he popped off in her eye).

A lot less creepy than going thru 66 massage therapists while claiming it was legit. 

The kraft thing is ridiculous. It was clearly consensual. Yes, it is illegal, but solicitation is a pretty minor thing in comparison to sexual assault.

Now, if there were trafficking issues, that is on the spa owner, not kraft.

17 hours ago, edjr said:

https://nypost.com/2022/06/16/nflpa-preparing-aggressive-defense-for-deshaun-watson/?dicbo=v2-855999fa4a5bd385379c04dae1084623

Even if he gets an entire year, he only loses 1 million in salary due to that joke of a contract.

Joke? You do realize they set it up that way because they figured he would get cancelled.

By the way, what did Watson do again?

13 hours ago, Vikings4ever said:

Goodell said no to the Commissioner's Exempt list a while back, but he could bring it back on the table for the additional lawsuits. Then suspend him next year when his salary jumps.

If they did that, then I would consider quitting the NFL. That's insanity. 

6 minutes ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

If I were a player, I'd be annoyed my dues are going to be spent defending this ass clown.

I disagree. No criminal charges means the more women that come out against him only supports his innocence. Because with the high numbers of women complaining and no one person has evidence of wrong doing, means the more likelihood of innocence. 

I'm not claiming he didn't expose himself to them, which is focking creepy, but that's about it. Why didn't the women just simply walk away? 

This whole thing is bullshlt. Even a court of law with prosecuting attorneys dedicated to getting him couldn't prove anything. 

Just now, Utilit99 said:

I disagree. No criminal charges means the more women that come out against him only supports his innocence. Because with the high numbers of women complaining and no one person has evidence of wrong doing, means the more likelihood of innocence. 

I'm not claiming he didn't expose himself to them, which is focking creepy, but that's about it. Why didn't the women just simply walk away? 

This whole thing is bullshlt. 

Weve had this conversation. You're crazy on this man.

He was using this Instagram massage thing to get laid. Seems like he probably gets off on the excitement of it. Will she? Won't she? Will I have to talk her into it?

Hey, I get it. Is this Asian massage parlor legit or a tug shop was a favorite game of mine for a while too.

And yeah, I find the claims of "trauma" and whatnot a bit eyeroll.

But it's pretty clear the guy was being a complete skeezebag dipshit. And he'll get punished for the only crime the NFL cares about...  He created bad press.

12 hours ago, WhiteWonder said:

Doubtful they were winning anything with Baker this year. Worth it for Watson in 2023 and beyond. 

Three 1st, three more draft picks and  $230m guaranteed. That’s a steep price to pay for a guy with legal problems who may be 2 years removed from football by the time he plays again. Not to mention the PR nightmare.

If Cleveland doesn’t win a SB out if this you’d sort of have to call it a fleecing.

4 minutes ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

Weve had this conversation. You're crazy on this man.

He was using this Instagram massage thing to get laid. Seems like he probably gets off on the excitement of it. Will she? Won't she? Will I have to talk her into it?

Hey, I get it. Is this Asian massage parlor legit or a tug shop was a favorite game of mine for a while too.

And yeah, I find the claims of "trauma" and whatnot a bit eyeroll.

But it's pretty clear the guy was being a complete skeezebag dipshit. And he'll get punished for the only crime the NFL cares about...  He created bad press.

Should you have been outright flagged by the media and forever damaged?

Bad press. Correct. This is why the NFL has to simply suspend the guy now for whatever timeframe and not fock around any longer.  

This should be over by training camp and it will no longer be thought about I'm guessing. No one care about the civil suits that will hit trial next year in February. 

51 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

Should you have been outright flagged by the media and forever damaged?

Bad press. Correct. This is why the NFL has to simply suspend the guy now for whatever timeframe and not fock around any longer.  

This should be over by training camp and it will no longer be thought about I'm guessing. No one care about the civil suits that will hit trial next year in February. 

No. It won't be over by training camp. It won't be over by 2023 training camp.

6 minutes ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

No. It won't be over by training camp. It won't be over by 2023 training camp.

What's going to happen? No decision of suspension will be made until then?

Give us a bold prediction. I predict they make the suspension prior to this training camp. And they will not be able to suspend again. 

Civil suits are stupid. And no one should be paying attention to them. 

7 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

What's going to happen? No decision of suspension will be made until then?

Give us a bold prediction. I predict they make the suspension prior to this training camp. And they will not be able to suspend again. 

Civil suits are stupid. And no one should be paying attention to them. 

I predict the NFL will hand down a one year suspension prior to training camp.

Either that, or they will just put him on the commissioner exempt list until the cases are resolved. And that will not be within a year unless he settles them.

7 minutes ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

I predict the NFL will hand down a one year suspension prior to training camp.

Either that, or they will just put him on the commissioner exempt list until the cases are resolved. And that will not be within a year unless he settles them.

What can you learn from a civil suit that you can't learn from a criminal suit?

All they focking want is money. Meh....

4 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

What can you learn from a civil suit that you can't learn from a criminal suit?

All they focking want is money. Meh....

Dude... The criminal suit isn't up to them.

Basically the DA punted. He or she decided that trying 22 high profile cases against high price lawyers that are going to fight everything to the mattresses in cases where it is a he said she said (like almost all sexual assault cases) was a poor allocation of resources.

They didn't get indictments because they didn't want to. You know this because they allowed the defense to submit statements to the grand jury, which is not usually done.

2 minutes ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

Dude... The criminal suit isn't up to them.

Basically the DA punted. He or she decided that trying 22 high profile cases against high price lawyers that are going to fight everything to the mattresses in cases where it is a he said she said (like almost all sexual assault cases) was a poor allocation of resources.

They didn't get indictments because they didn't want to. You know this because they allowed the defense to submit statements to the grand jury, which is not usually done.

If it was such a big winning trial suit, why couldn't they get a high price lawyer themselves? 

All I want to know, is where is the evidence? 

1 minute ago, Utilit99 said:

If it was such a big winning trial suit, why couldn't they get a high price lawyer themselves? 

You keep saying this...  What sort of evidence could reasonably exist? Are they supposed to record things?

And the fact that at least one of the women requested having someone else present and was denied is damming.

2 minutes ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

You keep saying this...  What sort of evidence could reasonably exist? Are they supposed to record things?

And the fact that at least one of the women requested having someone else present and was denied is damming.

I guess I just live in the land of innocent until proven guilty. :dunno:

12 hours ago, MDC said:

Three 1st, three more draft picks and  $230m guaranteed. That’s a steep price to pay for a guy with legal problems who may be 2 years removed from football by the time he plays again. Not to mention the PR nightmare.

If Cleveland doesn’t win a SB out if this you’d sort of have to call it a fleecing.

The only part of this I have reservations about is the guaranteed contract.  Aside from that, when you're a team like the Browns, who have been through so many QB's over the years but have finally become a respectable squad on the field, a QB of Watson's skill level is almost invaluable in terms of draft picks. I say this because unlike the NBA for example with its smaller draft, it's so easy for even the best front offices to whiff on multiple draft picks. Mayfield wasn't/isn't getting them over the hump. The round one picks were 2022/23/24. 2022 was a weak QB class. So they draft a QB in 2023?.... if they whiff, by the time they get one in 2024 and he develops in 2-3 seasons, you've wasted Nick Chubb's prime, probably Myles Garrett's and Denzel Ward's... the 8th ranked PFF offensive line (missing Jack Conklin) might not hold up.... I'd take Watson in 2023. He's a flat out game changer when healthy and should be 27, I think? Should get 6+ years of elite production. 

It's a QB driven league. Franchise QB > protection for that QB > weapons for that QB. 

If Cleveland never wins a SB with him, I won't call it a fleecing. If Houston uses those picks and hits on studs and becomes the better team after a few years, maybe then I'd call it a bit of a fleecing but there are too many other moving parts to a title in football. Any idea of fleecing will have to coincide with Houston rapidly ascending and surpassing Cleveland and then it would definitely be a fleecing because Watson didn't even want to play in Houston anymore. 

NFLPA is a joke, run by the owners. Ever wonder why they always lose negotiations in the biggest sport in the U.S? The owners are clearly using the NFLPA to separate themselves from the issue and try to get Watson on the field. Well played.

On 6/18/2022 at 11:35 AM, Utilit99 said:

On 6/18/2022 at 11:35 AM, Utilit99 said:

He didn’t say it was a “big winning trial suit,” he said it was he said she said (which means there is little if any evidence but as he said and I said in other threads, I’m not sure how there would be any evidence other than recordings that would probably be inadmissible).

Who do you want to pay for that high priced lawyer?  Taxpayers?

On 6/18/2022 at 10:46 PM, WhiteWonder said:

Watson didn't even want to play in Houston anymore. 

This is kinda the crazy part to me.  Dude’s facing 20 something lawsuits and no one knows when he’ll even be able to play yet somehow still had the leverage to demand a trade that netted them a crazy return (and him a historic contract).

My guess is a 1-year suspension and he settles the suits.   Unfortunately by game 3 or 4 of the season he starts playing this will probably be forgotten about.

I’m not drafting any Browns except Chubb.