Sign in to follow this  
Utilit99

UPDATE: Deshaun Watson Suspended 11 Games, $5 million fine

The other 4 are just holding out for more money

I still see him getting at min 8 game suspension, likely a full year. 

56 minutes ago, crackills said:

The other 4 are just holding out for more money

I still see him getting at min 8 game suspension, likely a full year. 

Most likely. I bet the Browns are very much behind him settling instead of going to trial. 

Everybody was surprised at how much the Browns are paying Watson in that contract. I would not be surprised in the least if the Browns told him they would give that massive amount of money if he uses part of it to pay the nuisance fees. It's 100% in the Browns interest for that to disappear and not have Watson fighting this in court all of next year. Those civil trials were not scheduled to even start until February of next year.

1 hour ago, Utilit99 said:

I bet the Browns are very much behind him settling instead of going to trial. 

of course.  nobody wants a PR nightmare.  every testimony by a victim will rehash this in the news again.

from his perspective its smarter to pay the cash and make this ugly situation go away.   the sooner you get it out of the news the better.

It looks like he will just grease their palms and massage a happy ending out of all this.

• Haha 2

Florio brought up a good point. When you settle with 1 or 2 people, it’s easy to enforce and monitor a non disclosure agreement. With 20 folks, it’s next to impossible. He expects these details to hit the news cycle very quickly. 

Great, so there is no proof and the man was convicted of nothing in any court at all.  However, because a bunch of eh hem "victims" made a claim then That’s good enough to suspend him for a whole year and make the eh hem victims rich? I see. Yeah, that feels right.  Excellent system.  Sure, Jan. 

Amazingly whenever these harassment claims come out, it’s always right when the accused gets a big payday.  Peculiar.  Also funny how poor people never seem to get accused of sexual harassment.  Hmmmm. Ok then.

That’s not true, poor people as one put it, do get accused of sexual harassment, it’s just not news worthy, just like poor people as one described one, do good things, but it’s not news worthy unless someone famous does something good which society finds news worthy.  

1 hour ago, RoadLizard said:

Great, so there is no proof and the man was convicted of nothing in any court at all.  However, because a bunch of eh hem "victims" made a claim then That’s good enough to suspend him for a whole year and make the eh hem victims rich? I see. Yeah, that feels right.  Excellent system.  Sure, Jan. 

Tell me you own DeShaun Watson in dynasty without telling me you own DeShaun Watson in dynasty...

Why would someone sue a person who doesn’t have any assets to offer in compensation in a civil trial? A poor person couldn’t even cover legal fees…

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AxeElf said:

Tell me you own DeShaun Watson in dynasty without telling me you own DeShaun Watson in dynasty...

I don’t, but this is more about the innocent until proven guilty system that I thought we had.  Whole thing feels like a total sham.  All of a sudden these victims are hurt and now need money to "heal".  Sure, Jan.

3 hours ago, jrokh said:

Why would someone sue a person who doesn’t have any assets to offer in compensation in a civil trial? A poor person couldn’t even cover legal fees…

Well, they wouldn’t but it’s also funny how poor people never seem to get accused of this.  Hmmm. Maybe because there is no payout? Just a theory. Dunno, sexual harassment claims have become a cry wolf thing at this stage. I think a lot of these women are just made and regret doing whatever they did.  But at the time it was consensual so they got nothing. 

54 minutes ago, RoadLizard said:

I don’t, but this is more about the innocent until proven guilty system that I thought we had.

That's in the court system, and we haven't even gotten to the court system yet.  No court has made any ruling against Watson, and no court has imposed any penalty on Watson--so how is he not "innocent until proven guilty"?

As far as I know, no CRIMINAL charges have even been filed.  24 cases were filed in civil court, and rather than waiting to chance being found guilty, Watson--while still presumed innocent--voluntarily paid a sum of money to settle 20 of those cases.  Still innocent until proven guilty.

He signed a contract with the NFL that makes him subject to the NFL's Player Personal Conduct Policy, which itself is not subject to any presumption of innocence or proving of guilt.  The NFL would be well within their right to suspend Watson just for the tarnish that his actions have cast upon the Shield thus far.

So if you're talking about in the court system, Watson IS innocent until proven guilty, and there is no evidence to suggest otherwise.  If you're talking about in the NFL (or even in the court of public opinion), the presumption of innocence is not a factor.

1 hour ago, RoadLizard said:

it’s also funny how poor people never seem to get accused of this.  Hmmm. Maybe because there is no payout?

Yes, that is exactly what I just posted.  You don't hear about it because no one would waste the time and money to sue someone that has nothing to give. If a poor person sexually assaults someone, they likely go to prison. Or at least they used to...

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

That's in the court system, and we haven't even gotten to the court system yet.  No court has made any ruling against Watson, and no court has imposed any penalty on Watson--so how is he not "innocent until proven guilty"?

As far as I know, no CRIMINAL charges have even been filed.  24 cases were filed in civil court, and rather than waiting to chance being found guilty, Watson--while still presumed innocent--voluntarily paid a sum of money to settle 20 of those cases.  Still innocent until proven guilty.

He signed a contract with the NFL that makes him subject to the NFL's Player Personal Conduct Policy, which itself is not subject to any presumption of innocence or proving of guilt.  The NFL would be well within their right to suspend Watson just for the tarnish that his actions have cast upon the Shield thus far.

So if you're talking about in the court system, Watson IS innocent until proven guilty, and there is no evidence to suggest otherwise.  If you're talking about in the NFL (or even in the court of public opinion), the presumption of innocence is not a factor.

yeah, this is a society where the very rich can make a lot of problems go away by spending some money.  Whether guilty or not...... the money will resolve matters for him.   Guilty or not,  hes definitely a slimeball.   That much I'd conclude for sure.

the fact he has the money likely does make him a target, and when you are a target like this you need to take precautions.    There are high priced services for the rich and famous who guarantee discretion.   if hed have spent the money he probably wouldnt have 42 or 44 lawsuits.

by going cheap what has he lost?   probably millions in endorsements.

if you are going to be a slimeball, do it right and at least keep your name out of the press.   Thats what most of the rich and famous do.

what he did is wrong, but its also stupid.   Its like the bank robber who wrote a note on the back of his bank statement to tell the bank he was robbing them.  duh.

either way,  I am getting sick of hearing about it.  Hopefully he pays off the last couple gals and the story dies after he serves a medium sized suspension

21 hours ago, RoadLizard said:

Amazingly whenever these harassment claims come out, it’s always right when the accused gets a big payday.  Peculiar.  Also funny how poor people never seem to get accused of sexual harassment.  Hmmmm. Ok then.

They do, just when it's a poor person, it's called sexual assault, and they end up in jail and/or on the SO registry.

Rich people make pay offs to avoid that.

• Like 1

On 6/23/2022 at 8:37 AM, polecatt said:

They do, just when it's a poor person, it's called sexual assault, and they end up in jail and/or on the SO registry.

If it's proven they assaulted someone then yeah.

4 more to go with Watson. It will be interesting to see the suspension.

On 6/23/2022 at 6:37 AM, polecatt said:

well it is also a case where a poor person cannot afford the best lawyer money can buy.

so when you are poor  you may have a crappy lawyer assigned by the state who puts in up to 10 hours on your behalf.   or you may not even get that, so you need to defend yourself or you pay what you can afford (which usually isnt much) to put up a crappy defense.

if you are rich, you have a whole legal team scrutinizing the evidence in every way possible.

as a prosecutor, your job is to make a judgement as to whether you can make the charge stick.   the evidence in a sexual assault is rarely open and shut.  more often than not its one persons word against that of another with no witness to speak of.

easy to make that stick if the legal council is poor or non existant.   but not when you are facing a legal team hired by a millionaire.   so the rich guy often gets off.  sometimes on a technicality, sometimes due to a hole in the case found by said legal team.    so when the decision is made not to pursue criminal charges it is often because the state feels it will be costly to pursue and if the evidence isnt perfect a good legal team can fight it.

at some point the prosecution needs to decide if it is a good use of public funds.   in some of these cases, the alleged acts took place years ago.  what kind of evidence do you think you will drum up as a prosecutor other than the testimony of the victim who may not even 100% remember everything that happened.

also it  is worth noting that the bar is higher on a criminal conviction.    you must be sure 100% that the individual is guilty. 

for a civil suit, the bar is lower.   it is better than 50% on a balance of probabilities.    This was the largest threat all along.  the only ones that legitimately had a chance of putting him in jail were likely the most recent ones or ones where there would be additional evidence such as hotel cameras confirming she went into his room (or something of the like)

and that would only be if the hotel kept the recordings long enough.   some likely only keep surveilance files going back a certain amount of time.

either way, we now will find out how the NFL feels about this.  I wouldnt be surprised if the penalty is substantial.  but it wont likely exceed a full year suspension. (worst case scenario)

my bet is like 8 or 10 games but its a wild guess.   I dont have anything to base it on.

We'll probably never know all the details of Watson's situation. But putting aside those details for a moment I found it curious that the NFL is insisting, according to ProFootballTalk, on an indefinite suspension to shield the league against additional plaintiffs/suits that may come forward.

On the surface that makes some sense. But what also makes sense is that the league wants the fully guaranteed contract voided that the Browns gave Watson. My suspicion is that upset the owners more than his appetite for erotic massages. A fully guaranteed $230 million deal sets a precedent that I can imagine has pissed off a lot of owners and GM's. It's a game changer financially.

What happens in Cincinatti when Burrows rookie deal expires? Lamar Jackon, Herbert, Allen, as well, will cripple their team's ability to build around them. We'll see more trades like we saw recently with Hill, Brown, and Adams. The cheaper teams that aren't concerned about winning as much as making money, could just replace the QB every 4-5 years in the draft.

I'm not sure if the deal can be voided because of a personal conduct clause or if the plaintiffs sue the league or the team, but this issue is far from a resolution. Florio said the trade can't be reversed but the contract is different. The trade is between two parties that agreed to a deal knowing there are ongoing and an undetermined number of unresolved present and future civil cases against the player. The Browns agreed to a contract with the player based on available information, 24 civil suits, and the word of the player and agent. If additional suits are filed, can the team argue they were duped? 

Of course, the easiest solution for the league is a lifetime ban. That essentially makes the contract null and void. The financial concerns are resolved, their brand is protected, while appearing to care about womans rights. A win, win, win for the league. Not so much for the team and player.

I really believe the guilt or innocence of Watson is burying the lead. This is a league that let a player, Leonard Little, continue his career after he killed a woman while driving drunk. You think they care about massages? No, this is threatening the one thing they hold sacred. Money. Just like everything in sports, business, politics, and yes, even some religions. Money. It's the great motivator.

Watson and his agent would have been better off taking a standard deal from Cleveland instead of the fully guaranteed offer. He could have taken a suspension of some kind and moved on. Greed is a terrible thing.

Tortured and killed dogs ✔️
Convicted, and sent to prison ✔️
Came back as a starting QB for Philly✔️
Put butts in the seats, and viewers on TV✔️
NFL made millions off of grown men playing a kids game✔️
Who cares?✔️

Let's not forget the complete piece of human debris named Donte Stallworth, who ran over a man crossing the road while he was drunk, speeding down the road in his sports car. It's not that the POS didn't see him, he did, and honked his horn to tell the guy to get out of the way, then ran over him, killed him.

He played two seasons after this happened

3 minutes ago, polecatt said:

Let's not forget the complete piece of human debris named Donte Stallworth, who ran over a man crossing the road while he was drunk, speeding down the road in his sports car. It's not that the POS didn't see him, he did, and honked his horn to tell the guy to get out of the way, then ran over him, killed him.

He played two seasons after this happened

dude there are tons of cases like this going back in time.

its only in recent years that the NFL has cared about trying to rehab the image as a league who cares only about winning at all costs.

It’s amazing what money will let people overlook.  If it wasn’t for Vegas, and fantasy players the NFL would’ve never become what it is.

By a show of hands, how many of the thousands of people that frequent this one website would even watch a game if ff didn’t exist?

19 minutes ago, JagFan said:

It’s amazing what money will let people overlook.  If it wasn’t for Vegas, and fantasy players the NFL would’ve never become what it is.

By a show of hands, how many of the thousands of people that frequent this one website would even watch a game if ff didn’t exist?

I’d watch my hometown team. That’s it. Your point is well taken.

58 minutes ago, JagFan said:

I'd still watch football, but I probably would watch less of it than I do now.   

The fantasy football makes me watch a few games I wouldnt normally be incllined to watch.

Lets face it... if 2 teams I could care less about play on Monday night the only reason I watch is if it affects my fantasy game.

1 hour ago, JagFan said:

I have pretty much watched every college and professional football game I could squeeze in since 1970, and I've only played fantasy since 1993.

In fact, now with streaming services, I typically watch about 10 complete college football games every Saturday (in-season), double-speed and without commercials--and I don't play NCAA fantasy.

The first time around, I even watched most games of the United States Football League, the World Football League, the eXtreme Football League, and even the first few years of Arena Football.

I think it's the greatest team strategy game ever devised.

Never really got into the Canadian version, for some reason...

I started watching the game of football at a very young age, loved that game , I started played ff in the late 80es , the more involved I became in ff the less I enjoyed the game, and the final outcome of the game didn’t matter, what did was how much ff points did I score, and how much did my opponent score.  

I haven’t watch any sports in many many moons, I don’t listen to it on radio, I don’t watch any highlights, I’m not interested, I just play ff.  

Looks like they are pushing for 1 full season. Baker doesn't want to play for them or maybe he will now? Or that leaves Brissett? 

53 minutes ago, Phil Simms 11 said:

Looks like they are pushing for 1 full season. Baker doesn't want to play for them or maybe he will now? Or that leaves Brissett? 

Baker better hope he gets to play for them this year.  He better take advantage of the opportunity to raise his game, and correct his attitude because he begged to be traded and there were no takers.

1 hour ago, Phil Simms 11 said:

Baker isn’t playing for the Browns again. It’s a dead issue. It will be Brissett. 

2 minutes ago, jrokh said:

Baker isn’t playing for the Browns again. It’s a dead issue. It will be Brissett. 

Looking back, and it's always easy to look back, it's hard to believe he was drafted ahead of Allen, let alone the #1 pick in the draft. Then again Darnold and Rosen went in the top ten as well. Throw in Barkley, R. Smith, and it was a weak group. 

I remember his rookie scouting portfolio, it talked about his negatives quite extensively and it was accurate.

Poor ball placement

2 hours ago, MTSkiBum said:

I remember his rookie scouting portfolio, it talked about his negatives quite extensively and it was accurate.

Poor ball placement

the bigger problem (at least early in his career) was that he had a tendency to stare down his receivers so the defense knew where the ball was going to go just by watching where hes looking.

I didnt watch too much of him last year so I cant tell you if he still does that (or not)  but early in his career that led to some INT's.

22 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

the bigger problem (at least early in his career) was that he had a tendency to stare down his receivers so the defense knew where the ball was going to go just by watching where hes looking.

I didnt watch too much of him last year so I cant tell you if he still does that (or not)  but early in his career that led to some INT's.

He does a poor job of reading the other team and forces it in there when he probably shouldn't.

Have to hand it to the scouts for identifying his weaknesses.

Steve Young was awful is first two seasons in the nfl with the Bucs, and then he went to SF , and coaching helped make him a better nfl Qb.  The Browns have been a joke, and without any kind of leadership over the time Mayfield as been with them.  

Maybe better nfl coaching might have helped.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, weepaws said:

Steve Young was awful is first two seasons in the nfl with the Bucs, and then he went to SF , and coaching helped make him a better nfl Qb.  The Browns have been a joke, and without any kind of leadership over the time Mayfield as been with them.  

Maybe better nfl coaching might have helped.  

this is certainly possible.

I have not been thrilled with the browns as an organization.    Coaching is a part of that.

https://www.nfl.com/news/texans-sued-for-allegedly-enabling-former-qb-deshaun-watson-s-behavior-during-ma

apparently the Texans are being sued for enabling Watsons Behaviour.  I thought this was announced a while back, but maybe it was just rumour.  either way it is official now.

this likely means the team throws a bunch of money at this to make it get settled quickly.   its about more than Just Watson now.