Sign in to follow this  
Utilit99

UPDATE: Deshaun Watson Suspended 11 Games, $5 million fine

On 6/26/2022 at 3:16 PM, polecatt said:

Let's not forget the complete piece of human debris named Donte Stallworth, who ran over a man crossing the road while he was drunk, speeding down the road in his sports car. It's not that the POS didn't see him, he did, and honked his horn to tell the guy to get out of the way, then ran over him, killed him.

He played two seasons after this happened

That's not really all the facts in that case, but why should that matter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TBayXXXVII said:

That's not really all the facts in that case, but why should that matter.

It's the main idea, the important parts, I guess I could do a full legal breakdown of the case, but that's no that's not really important.

It only takes about 5 minutes of Googling to find out anything about it

I think that anything less than 1 year, will get appealed by the league.  With the Texans now being sued by this, the league would have to assume that they're next.

11 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I think that anything less than 1 year, will get appealed by the league.  With the Texans now being sued by this, the league would have to assume that they're next.

maybe they suspend the texans for a few games?    kidding of course.  

but I would not be surprised if the league hands out some form of discipline for not putting a stop to this behaviour.   its all about showing the league is not to blame. haha

13 hours ago, Ray_T said:

maybe they suspend the texans for a few games?    kidding of course.  

but I would not be surprised if the league hands out some form of discipline for not putting a stop to this behaviour.   its all about showing the league is not to blame. haha

LOL, might be better if they did suspend the Texans, they may not lose so bad in those games.

I don't know how the league could do anything to the team.  How were they supposed to know that this is going on?  I think by doing anything to the team, you send the message to the league (and the players), that the only way for teams to be more aware of what's going on, they have to be more intrusive in the players lives, and I don't think anyone wants that to happen.  I heard on NFL Radio that Goodell and the NFL want an indefinite suspension because "they don't know what else is down the road", as one guy put it.

12 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

LOL, might be better if they did suspend the Texans, they may not lose so bad in those games.

I don't know how the league could do anything to the team.  How were they supposed to know that this is going on?  I think by doing anything to the team, you send the message to the league (and the players), that the only way for teams to be more aware of what's going on, they have to be more intrusive in the players lives, and I don't think anyone wants that to happen.  I heard on NFL Radio that Goodell and the NFL want an indefinite suspension because "they don't know what else is down the road", as one guy put it.

indefinite isnt entirely reasonable unless the evidence against him is better and more conclusive than what it is.

I think his suspension tops out at a year.    but could be less than a year.

please be aware I am not condoning the behaviour in any way.  dude is definitely a slimeball.    but if levying a suspension of this length, I think you need reasonably decent evidence.

if they give him more than that, he will appeal the suspension and it may well be reduced unless of course the league has evidence the courts never had.....

On 7/8/2022 at 9:05 PM, Ray_T said:

please be aware I am not condoning the behaviour in any way.  dude is definitely a slimeball.    but if levying a suspension of this length, I think you need reasonably decent evidence.

Well, no more of a slimeball than a certain team owner (or probably several).  I guess if you've got billions rather than just millions to throw around things like this fade away more easily.  Watson already essentially served a full season suspension - the league should consider that as time served (and retroactively dock any game-checks as would be done for a normal suspension).  A full season suspension would rank as one of the stiffest penalties ever applied.  Is this transgression really one of the worst ever committed by a player?  I honestly think that the desire for an indefinite or full season suspension is based more on the league/other owners wanting to punish the Browns for offering the stupid fully guaranteed contract that reset the market for player contracts.  

I think suspensions should be based on criminal convictions or provable league rule violations. With criminal being out the window, what is the league rule they will nail him on? I don't know the NFL conduct rules that well other than drugs are no good.

3 hours ago, Showboat said:

Well, no more of a slimeball than a certain team owner (or probably several).  I guess if you've got billions rather than just millions to throw around things like this fade away more easily.  Watson already essentially served a full season suspension - the league should consider that as time served (and retroactively dock any game-checks as would be done for a normal suspension).  A full season suspension would rank as one of the stiffest penalties ever applied.  Is this transgression really one of the worst ever committed by a player?  I honestly think that the desire for an indefinite or full season suspension is based more on the league/other owners wanting to punish the Browns for offering the stupid fully guaranteed contract that reset the market for player contracts.  

I wouldnt go that far.  people with money can make things like this disappear quickly.   but that does not make them innocent.   League will never do this

but I do believe if levying a suspension of longer than one year they should probably have some pretty good evidence in place.    if it turns into a lawsuit the cost could be big if things dont turn out the way they would want.

That said, watsons contract rear loaded means likely there is not a lot of risk to the league if the court finds against them.  if he was getting 20+ mil in year 1, a full year suspension is risky if you expect to go to court.   Knowing that he wrote the deal in this way actually allows the league a bit more latitude in levying a suspension.

12 hours ago, Showboat said:

Trevor Bauer got a 2-year suspension for having consensual rough sex.  I have a very hard time with thinking what Watson did was less severe.  But maybe that's just me.

17 hours ago, Showboat said:

Kind of a grey area. Culley said he asked Watson if he wanted to play and Watson said no. 

2 hours ago, Super Cubs said:

Kind of a grey area. Culley said he asked Watson if he wanted to play and Watson said no. 

He also got paid $10M.  People who are suspended don't get paid at all.

7 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Trevor Bauer got a 2-year suspension for having consensual rough sex.  I have a very hard time with thinking what Watson did was less severe.  But maybe that's just me.

Oh - MLB.  I knew there was a reason I had no idea who you were talking about.  Not sure anyone should point to MLB as an example of how things should be done.

2 minutes ago, Showboat said:

Oh - MLB.  I knew there was a reason I had no idea who you were talking about.  Not sure anyone should point to MLB as an example of how things should be done.

While that's a fair point given who the current commissioner is, some would argue that Goodell is just as bad, if not worse.

7 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

While that's a fair point given who the current commissioner is, some would argue that Goodell is just as bad, if not worse.

No doubt.  And don't get me wrong - I'm not going to be protesting in the streets if a 2-year suspension comes down.  All actions have consequences.  The Watson situation just strikes me as a bit of a shake down.  We'll never really know what happened.  If he was threatening violence for not getting his happy ending. that's one thing, but if his victims were willingly servicing him for a big tip, referrals, and repeat visits, that's quite another.  

2 minutes ago, Showboat said:

No doubt.  And don't get me wrong - I'm not going to be protesting in the streets if a 2-year suspension comes down.  All actions have consequences.  The Watson situation just strikes me as a bit of a shake down.  We'll never really know what happened.  If he was threatening violence for not getting his happy ending. that's one thing, but if his victims were willingly servicing him for a big tip, referrals, and repeat visits, that's quite another.  

I read about half of the affidavits filed against him.  I'm pretty confident that he wasn't threatening violence, but I wouldn't be surprised if one or two women took it that way.  I don't think the women were looking for a big tip after "helping him out", and didn't get one and that's why they're filing a civil suit.  I do think there are a couple of women who were exaggerating and I wouldn't be surprised if 1 or 2 were flat out lying and looking for some cash.  That said, I'm thinking there's about 22 of the 24 who have a legit complaint... and since 4 haven't settled yet, I'm willing to bet they're the ones who thought things were a lot worse "to them" (and probably other women who've went through this), than a lot of people would think.

Looks like Watson decision is coming tomorrow. Line is set at 8 game suspension. Who’s going over? Who’s going under?

It would be kind of wierd if the league appeals. Weren't they the ones to bring the judge in for this?

honestly I thought the suspension would be longer.    

But.... Im glad the drama is almost over.

I think the league will appeal.  They've said they want at least a year and open ended.  They want to be able to extend this if more info comes out at a later date, without having to go through all of this again.  To me, that seems reasonable.

That's the same suspension Ezekiel Elliott got for one supposed incident in which he wasn't charged with anything, and the league's own investigator who interviewed the supposed victim and said she wasn't credible.

The NFL fought in court over that one

1 hour ago, polecatt said:

That's the same suspension Ezekiel Elliott got for one supposed incident in which he wasn't charged with anything, and the league's own investigator who interviewed the supposed victim and said she wasn't credible.

The NFL fought in court over that one

One difference is that Watson already sat out 1 year.  Now, technically he wasn't suspended and was paid (not his full contract though), but I think anything extra this year is still more than anyone else got.  That said, the ladies attorney is now trying to sue the Texans.  That's a big reason why the league wants a longer and open ended suspension.  They want to make sure if the team is found culpable and possibly the league, they want to be able to take further action without having to go through this whole rigmarole.

4 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

One difference is that Watson already sat out 1 year.  Now, technically he wasn't suspended and was paid (not his full contract though), but I think anything extra this year is still more than anyone else got.  That said, the ladies attorney is now trying to sue the Texans.  That's a big reason why the league wants a longer and open ended suspension.  They want to make sure if the team is found culpable and possibly the league, they want to be able to take further action without having to go through this whole rigmarole.

The big difference is Watson had 25 incidents or whatever, and paid to cover them up, while Ezekiel Elliott had one and it was a very shaky one at that.

I remember Adrian Peterson sat out pretty much the whole season with his incident on the commissioner's list. The Texans chose to sit him last season, and that really shouldn't be considered part of his suspension

The Texans did not choose to sit him. That was Watson's own decision. They chose not to make a bigger deal of the issue. I think the Texans have already settled with most if not all of the ladies several weeks ago.

24 minutes ago, Super Cubs said:

The Texans did not choose to sit him. That was Watson's own decision. They chose not to make a bigger deal of the issue. I think the Texans have already settled with most if not all of the ladies several weeks ago.

I believe you are correct and the Texans settled all their cases. Watson has settled all but one, which is the only one currently standing ATM…

12 hours ago, craftsman said:

It would be kind of wierd if the league appeals. Weren't they the ones to bring the judge in for this?

I'm pretty sure the Union (via the CBA) brought in the Independent Consultant on disciplinary matters.  They were sick of Goodell being Judge, Jury and Executioner.

20 minutes ago, Bills04 said:

I'm pretty sure the Union (via the CBA) brought in the Independent Consultant on disciplinary matters.  They were sick of Goodell being Judge, Jury and Executioner.

Well, there's the CBA screwup. Even with this arbitor, Goodell has last say. The players union should have demanded it the other way around.

I’ve heard that not only will the NFLPA sue the league if they do a fully year, but there is actually a chance Watson plays the whole year before this all gets sorted out. Could be messy. Stay Tuned…