Sign in to follow this  
Utilit99

UPDATE: Deshaun Watson Suspended 6 Games

Why can't the NFL just take care of this once and all. Why go through the whole bringing a judge in if they already have a punishment in mind. Couldn't they have been in this spot months ago and therefore the team would know what's up?

3 minutes ago, jrokh said:

I’ve heard that not only will the NFLPA sue the league if they do a fully year, but there is actually a chance Watson plays the whole year before this all gets sorted out. Could be messy. Stay Tuned…

and the NFL is ok with that.

why?

the contract was structured so he would lose amost no money if the suspension happened right away.

if they appeal and it takes a full year to resolve, he then sits portions of year 2.  at a substantially higher rate of pay..   Maybe this was the plan for the NFL all along.  they knew he was playing the system so by pushing this as far as they can get it, they are forcing him to lose substantial money.

Watson would be smart to just take any suspension that doesnt go more than 3 or 4 games into year 2.   if he fights all year and ends up with a 6 game suspension and has to serve it next year, hes actually out money.  probably a lot of it.

2 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

they appeal and it takes a full year to resolve, he then sits portions of year 2.  at a substantially higher rate of pay..   Maybe this was the plan for the NFL all along.  they knew he was playing the system so by pushing this as far as they can get it, they are forcing him to lose substantial money.

Maybe, but numerous reporters have stated the contract being structured that way had nothing do to with the suspension. The Browns have done similar deals with other players, who weren't in any trouble. Now causation doesn't equal correlation, but I don't think the NFL is as concerned with the fine as they are with the length of the suspension.

2 minutes ago, jrokh said:

the contract being structured that way had nothing do to with the suspension.

I truly find this hard to believe.   maybe it is standard procedure for the Browns I have not looked into their contract history (nor do I care to)

but year 1 has nearly no salary and it feels like this cannot be by accident.    but if they had to sign the guy and Desean proposed something like this if thats what it takes to get him to sign and you want the player, thats what you do.

typically players get the contract frontloaded so they dont lose much if they get released for cap reasons later but this smelled a bit strange when the contract was signed.

Not that I blame them.   If I were in his shoes I'd be doing the same thing most likely.   why take a large salary in year 1 when its likely to get eaten up in a suspension anyhow?

Prudent planning.   but thats not gonna stop the NFL from trying to get their pound of flesh.

Just sayin.

1 hour ago, Ray_T said:

I truly find this hard to believe.   maybe it is standard procedure for the Browns I have not looked into their contract history (nor do I care to)

but year 1 has nearly no salary and it feels like this cannot be by accident.    but if they had to sign the guy and Desean proposed something like this if thats what it takes to get him to sign and you want the player, thats what you do.

typically players get the contract frontloaded so they dont lose much if they get released for cap reasons later but this smelled a bit strange when the contract was signed.

Not that I blame them.   If I were in his shoes I'd be doing the same thing most likely.   why take a large salary in year 1 when its likely to get eaten up in a suspension anyhow?

Prudent planning.   but thats not gonna stop the NFL from trying to get their pound of flesh.

Just sayin.

Just sayin…

interesting.  I wonder if thats because player took a large signing bonus and so took it in lieu of a large year 1 salary.

not sure if there is anything to this or not.   but its interesting info.

16 hours ago, Ray_T said:

interesting.  I wonder if thats because player took a large signing bonus and so took it in lieu of a large year 1 salary.

not sure if there is anything to this or not.   but its interesting info.

It's for salary cap reasons.  You're able to give them cash now and spread it out over the life of the contract.  Because of that, they backload the contracts because they expect to have more money to spend in following years with the cap going up.  That said, I think your original line of thought might be right with Watson because every year after this year, he has the same $46M base salary.

That's not the case with Garrett (his contract fluctuates - when roster bonuses kick in), Chubb (his contract increases), Cooper (has 2 voidable years), Teller (his contract fluctuates - when roster bonuses kick in).  Godwin has 2 voidable years.  Gallup's increases.  Watson's contract from this aspect is very unique.  It's not like it's because Watson is a QB.  Aaron Rodgers' contract fluctuates.  Stafford's goes up and then decreases.

12 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

It's for salary cap reasons.  You're able to give them cash now and spread it out over the life of the contract.  Because of that, they backload the contracts because they expect to have more money to spend in following years with the cap going up.  That said, I think your original line of thought might be right with Watson because every year after this year, he has the same $46M base salary.

That's not the case with Garrett (his contract fluctuates - when roster bonuses kick in), Chubb (his contract increases), Cooper (has 2 voidable years), Teller (his contract fluctuates - when roster bonuses kick in).  Godwin has 2 voidable years.  Gallup's increases.  Watson's contract from this aspect is very unique.  It's not like it's because Watson is a QB.  Aaron Rodgers' contract fluctuates.  Stafford's goes up and then decreases.

either way, it feels like the NFL is pushing for more perhaps because of the structure of the contract.  Maybe I'm wrong and its more along the lines of not wanting to look soft on this sort of thing.

could be something else entirely.  who knows.

7 hours ago, Ray_T said:

either way, it feels like the NFL is pushing for more perhaps because of the structure of the contract.  Maybe I'm wrong and its more along the lines of not wanting to look soft on this sort of thing.

could be something else entirely.  who knows.

I don't if the money was a part of their plan, but I think the Browns structured the deal just in case he was suspended the whole year.  This way, they'd be able to have money to spend on a QB.  Honestly, I think that if Watson is suspended the whole year, they go after Garoppolo.