Sign in to follow this  
Djgb13

Nothing says democracy like banning the opposition

Ukraine banned the country’s main opposition party and seized all its assets. In other words, they’ve been imprisoning or executing the opposing party 

Because nothing says accurate reporting like some far-right fruitcake who sucks off Alex Jones and contributes to the most biased, facts-free propaganda source in the land.

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 3

1 minute ago, Pimpadeaux said:

Because nothing says accurate reporting like some far-right fruitcake who sucks off Alex Jones and contributes to the most biased, facts-free propaganda source in the land.

Yeah but it’s true. 

1 minute ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Yeah but it’s true. 

Likely so, but I'd like to think we'd crack down on the Nazi party if we were at war with Nazi Germany.

But I don't like banning free speech. 

Just now, Hardcore troubadour said:

Yeah but it’s true. 

Yes, they also shut down media outlets that didn’t agree with them. This has been known for awhile and before the Russian invasion.

25 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Yeah but it’s true. 

You can’t tell that retard anything. Just look at how he posts. Juvenile and ignorant 

16 minutes ago, Herbivore said:

is the main opposition party really Russia?

Many people of Russian lineage are citizens of Ukraine 🇺🇦 

2 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

You can’t tell that retard anything. Just look at how he posts. Juvenile and ignorant 

He’s a homer. 

24 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Many people of Russian lineage are citizens of Ukraine 🇺🇦 

thanks for not answering the question..it was typically unhelpful

Ukraine’s Opposition Platform – For Life (OPPL) party was officially banned by a Ukrainian court on Monday. The Ministry of Justice announced on Facebook that all of its assets, property, and funds are to be transferred to the state.

The ruling to ban the party was carried out by the Eighth Administrative Court of Appeals in the western city of Lviv, following a request from the Ministry of Justice. The OPPL had all of its operations suspended by the authorities in Kiev in March after the launch of Moscow’s military operation, and the party and its leaders were accused of having ties to Russia and being “anti-Ukrainian.”

In its Facebook post, the ministry noted that Ukrainian courts have so far banned 11 so-called “pro-Russian” parties suspected of acting to “undermine the sovereignty” of the country.

Before its operations were suspended, the OPPL was Ukraine’s largest opposition group and second-largest party in the country. In 2019, it won 13% of the vote in a parliamentary election, and in 2021, polls showed that it surpassed President Volodymyr Zelensky’s ‘Servant of the People’ as the most popular party.

Since 2018, it was led by Viktor Medvedchuk, a businessman who called for better relations with Russia and saw Kiev’s western turn as detrimental to national interests. In May 2021, Medvedchuk was placed under house arrest after being accused of treason amid Zelensky’s crackdown on dissent.

Medvedchuk had repeatedly denied accusations against him as “politically motivated,” and insisted he was never “pro-Russian,” but merely wanted what was best for the Ukrainian people.

On April 12, the OPPL leader was captured by the Ukrainian Security Service (SBU) as he allegedly tried to flee the country. The arrest was made public after Zelensky published a photo of the man in handcuffs. The politician has since been held in custody by the SBU at an unknown location.

Medvedchuk’s wife, Oksana Marchenko, has been pleading with world leaders to organize her husband’s release or exchange and has accused the SBU of beating and torturing him.

Last week, Ukrainian courts banned two more political movements – the Left Opposition and the Party of Shariy – both of which were previously featured on the list of 11 political factions suspended by Ukraine’s Security Council.

On May 14, President Zelensky signed into law a bill that simplifies the process of banning political parties deemed to be ‘anti-Ukrainian’. Under the law, any party that opposes or challenges the official position of the government, especially when it comes to the ongoing conflict with Moscow, can have its operations banned and assets seized by a court ruling that cannot be appealed.

The bill outlaws denial of the ‘aggression against Ukraine’, or referring to the conflict as ‘internal’ or a ‘civil war’. It also prohibits positive statements regarding the ‘aggressors’, and makes it illegal to refer to the forces of the Donetsk and Lugansk republics as ‘insurgents’, insisting that they should be called ‘terrorists’.

Russia attacked the neighboring state in late February, following Ukraine’s failure to implement the terms of the Minsk agreements, first signed in 2014, and Moscow’s eventual recognition of the Donbass republics of Donetsk and Lugansk. The German- and French-brokered protocols were designed to give the breakaway regions special status within the Ukrainian state.

The Kremlin has since demanded that Ukraine officially declare itself a neutral country that will never join the US-led NATO military bloc. Kiev insists the Russian offensive was completely unprovoked and has denied claims it was planning to retake the two republics by force.

Seriously: Who cares? One big corrupt backwater attacked a smaller corrupt backwater. If you have a “side” in this conflict you’re a straight up moron.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Herbivore said:

thanks for not answering the question..it was typically unhelpful

Sorry it went over your head.  The point was that in a democracy those people would have a voice.  But then again, Ukraine is no democracy.  Or anything resembling one. You ought to pay attention more. 

This is not a good look for them. The spiggot of international aid is turned on by playing the :democracy under siege by a totalitarian outsider bully" card. It's a much harder trick to pull off when you crush your opposition party.

And here I thought this thread was going to be about the US liberal democrats blocking the republican house minority leader from choosing who he wants to represent on the 1/6 commitee. You know, the commitee that is putting on a farcical over produced, over edited, one sided public attack on an ex president that the left has been falsely accusing of crimes for nearly 6 years now.

Well, the similarities are at least worth noting. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MDC said:

Seriously: Who cares? One big corrupt backwater attacked a smaller corrupt backwater. If you have a “side” in this conflict you’re a straight up moron.

Millions have been displaced, tens of thousands killed, entire cities are rubble. If you root against the guys doing this then you're a moron?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Brad GLuckman said:

Millions have been displaced, tens of thousands killed, entire cities are rubble. If you root against the guys doing this then you're a moron?

It’s a big corrupt backwater attacking a small corrupt backwater with the US playing geopolitics. You’re a moron if you think we’re involved to “protect democracy” or whatever shiit they’re peddling. I do feel bad for the Ukrainian people though. Their government can get focked.

1 minute ago, MDC said:

It’s a big corrupt backwater attacking a small corrupt backwater with the US playing geopolitics. You’re a moron if you think we’re involved to “protect democracy” or whatever shiit they’re peddling. I do feel bad for the Ukrainian people though. Their government can get focked.

Corrupt government or not, it's easy to pick a side here. You can be against the billions of dollars the US is sending Ukraine while also hoping Ukraine wins. Instead, many here (not necessarily you) are overjoyed to point out that Ukraine is losing because they are against the aid. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MDC said:

Thread winner. Bigly 

1 hour ago, Brad GLuckman said:

Corrupt government or not, it's easy to pick a side here. You can be against the billions of dollars the US is sending Ukraine while also hoping Ukraine wins. Instead, many here (not necessarily you) are overjoyed to point out that Ukraine is losing because they are against the aid. 

In the sense that it’s sad to see people displaced, hurt, killed sure. These kinds of conflicts go on everywhere. This one isn’t special and it was arguably instigated in part by us and NATO. The reason we care about Ukraine is geopolitics and business interests $. Waving a Ukrainian flag around is just emboldening these people to keep meddling all over the world.

Im not rooting for Russia and the Geeks cheering Putin on are ghouls fwiw. I’m just not drinking the Kool Aid on this one.

i am, after all, a well known Geek Club moderate. :bandana: 

8 hours ago, Herbivore said:

is the main opposition party really Russia?

I would venture to guess that there is a Russia backed opposition party. That's been their MO... Flood an area with Russian settlers, claim the right to "protect them" and then annex said area. Did it in crimea. Doing it in donbass.

But this thing that zolinsky and Ukraine are white nights is not true at all. My two ukranian friends think a lot of the stuff you're seeing now is absurd. One basically says that the whole war is just a mafia war writ large, the ukranian mafia vs. The Russian one.

• Thanks 1

40B.  We just sent one of them most corrupt nations on the planet 40B to cover up Bidens ties. When the right asked for oversight on it, rustydouche and worms screamed like girls. 

• Thanks 3

56 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

40B.  We just sent one of them most corrupt nations on the planet 40B to cover up Bidens ties. When the right asked for oversight on it, rustydouche and worms screamed like girls. 

Yeah, none of the Bidens' ties to Ukraine and the $40B is a coincidence.

10 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Yeah, none of the Bidens' ties to Ukraine and the $40B is a coincidence.

Bidens ties, 40B to who knows where or what, a war that Ukraine is getting slaughtered in, that Biden and the left have fostered.  Nothing to see here.  

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

Bidens ties, 40B to who knows where or what, a war that Ukraine is getting slaughtered in, that Biden and the left have fostered.  Nothing to see here.  

Are they getting slaughtered?  If that was the case wouldn’t it be over by now?

12 hours ago, shorepatrol said:

Thread winner. Bigly 

It matters because we're giving them billions in tax dollars in the name of "democracy", which is obviously a bunch of bullshite.

I’m on the American side in this.  As in we shouldn’t be involved to the extent we are. Never should have been. 

I surmise that the Democrat Party would applaud the political attacks, its more or less their design. 

50 minutes ago, iam90sbaby said:

we're giving them billions in tax dollars in the name of "democracy"

I agree this is complete horsehit. But it has nothing to do with agreeing anyone that roots for one side or the other of this is a dipshit 

1 hour ago, shorepatrol said:

I agree this is complete horsehit. But it has nothing to do with agreeing anyone that roots for one side or the other of this is a dipshit 

I don’t think anyone here is supporting either side. Ppl are pissed we are sending money to a corrupt regime but condemning the other corrupt regime all because our president and his political party have back door deals going on with Ukraine

11 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

I don’t think anyone here is supporting either side. Ppl are pissed we are sending money to a corrupt regime but condemning the other corrupt regime all because our president and his political party have back door deals going on with Ukraine

Mmmm.... the side that got invaded is side to help. There were missteps before the war but I've got no issue for how Biden*/NATO has behaved since then. They aren't putting NATO lives at stake, they exposed Russian flaws, and are recovering some credibility after the Afghanistan debacle.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Voltaire said:

Mmmm.... the side that got invaded is side to help. There were missteps before the war but I've got no issue for how Biden*/NATO has behaved since then. They aren't putting NATO lives at stake, they exposed Russian flaws, and are recovering some credibility after the Afghanistan debacle.

:thumbsup:

7 minutes ago, Voltaire said:

We’re doing a lot more than NATO. Even the Polish president says so. 

1 hour ago, Djgb13 said:

There are definitely people that are supporting Russia here.

But as Voltaire said, Ukraine is the side we should be supporting, even if they may not be the beacon of democracy.

1 hour ago, Voltaire said:

Humanitarian aid.  Giving weapons to them is like giving a gun to your 5 year old and telling him good luck against a gang.  The $40B is straight up cash money for his globalist friends.  The Biden progressives have handled this perfectly to line their pockets and destroy Ukraine. 

2 hours ago, Voltaire said:

I agree. However I prefer us not to get involved. Not our country. Not our war. Yet we insert ourselves every single time. No way we should’ve sent $40 billion to them. Let the UN help or other countries. Every single one of them sticks their hand out at america asking for money. And we oblige 

1 hour ago, TimHauck said:

There are definitely people that are supporting Russia here.

But as Voltaire said, Ukraine is the side we should be supporting, even if they may not be the beacon of democracy.

Why? 

3 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Even the Polish president says so. 

Yea, but how many pollacks does it take to screw in a lightbulb? 

10. 1 to hold the lightbulb and 9 to turn the ladder.