Sign in to follow this  
wiffleball

Is America the most jingoistic country in the world?

I'm going to have to leave this up to a few of the folks have been living in other countries. But I would argue yes. If you listen to commentators and even comedians, we just really over display the American flag way too much. I mean, check any of your banner ads you're going to find American flag t-shirts and America blah blah blah apparel. Any given minute I look at our street and there's some idiot with a trump flag or an American flag or a Confederate flag or a queefanon flag or some flag in the back of his pickup truck. And I'm guessing there's not a Chinese equivalent or North Korean or French or what the f*** ever.

And I'm guessing, again just guessing, that most global sporting events don't have military flyovers. Jesus christ. That makes us so f****** North korean. Except the North Koreans can't afford the fuel.

Again, not so sure, but I think the term jingoistic was meant specifically for americans. Yeah sure, every few years, when the British have some sort of big event, they all wear British flag nonsense. But they do it almost ironically. We do it like it's our f****** duty.

Proof of that? Take a look at any gathering of the Chinese or North Koreans versus let's say January 6th. Same thing with the Russians or Germans or you name it.

I think I live in a particularly bad town. Seeing as how we have 37 f****** military bases. And like 275 mega churches. And apparently they all feel like they should literally wear their flag on their sleeves. But you don't see that elsewhere in the world.  Because they're not as insecure as Americans are. We keep trying to say that we're number one. But like you saw in the other post, we sure as hell ain't. Except in a very few specific and retardly stupid categories.

And let's not forget a few years ago when the NFL quietly got busted for getting paid by the US military  to do soldier reunions and flyovers and whatnot. They literally paid the billionaires money from the taxpayers. For recruiting purposes. Because it was good advertising. And all along, we assumed that the owners were just good guys footing the bill. But for them it was a f****** profit center.

I think that's probably America in a f****** nutshell.

Jingoism is nationalism in the form of aggressive and proactive foreign policy, such as a country's advocacy for the use of threats or actual force, as opposed to peaceful relations, in efforts to safeguard what it perceives as its national interests. Wikipedia

Maybe, by this definition.  Nationalistic by itself, no way, not even close.  I haven't lived in other countries but I've traveled to enough to know that there is a lot more nationalistic pride in many European and Asian countries.  I haven't been to Africa or South America to comment on those.  Japan is an obvious example.

Add in the aggressive military and it's hard to say.  I feel like the general direction of the country is for less aggressiveness and more isolation.  And I suspect that if a lot of other countries could pretty much take on the rest of the world and have a fighting chance, well, they'd be singing a much more jingoistic tune than we currently do.

Watch a soccer game from anywhere in the world. 

3 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Watch a soccer game from anywhere in the world. 

They have B2 bombers flying over the top do they? Because if that's your standard, let's go ahead and take a look at univision. Or the spelling bee.

8 minutes ago, wiffleball said:

They have B2 bombers flying over the top do they? Because if that's your standard, let's go ahead and take a look at univision. Or the spelling bee.

They don’t really need a military. They have us. The suckers. 

Probably not the most nationalistic but I can’t think of a more jingoistic country than the US.

Half the country hates itself and it's history, culture, norms, and values.

I've been around the world a bit and I haven't seen another country where people fly the country's flag on their house like you see in the US. I can't remember ever really noticing it anywhere, actually. 

• Like 1

If the military was such a good deal they wouldn’t have to advertise so much. 

I’ve seen plenty of Canadian flags in Canada. And I see plenty of Irish and Italian ones here. And other countries. 

1 minute ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

I’ve seen plenty of Canadian flags in Canada. And I see plenty of Irish and Italian ones here. And other countries. 

I've seen more Irish and Italian flags in the US than I saw in Ireland or Italy. Maybe Americans just like flags?

1 minute ago, Brad GLuckman said:

I've seen more Irish and Italian flags in the US than I saw in Ireland or Italy. Maybe Americans just like flags?

We are a melting pot. And jingoism goes both ways. How many “in this house” signs have you seen? In my area plenty. 

3 hours ago, Brad GLuckman said:

We like them so much we make boxer shorts out of them. 🩳 

6 hours ago, Voltaire said:

Half the country hates itself and it's history, culture, norms, and values.

Honestly, now that I think about it? The only other government that proudly displays their flag in the back of a pickup truck? Is isis. And Trump

Yes so again it's just me, but I can't imagine that there are other countries that have jackasses with deliberately loud pickup trucks with Trump and Queefanon and whatever flags flying from the back of their pickup truck.

53 minutes ago, wiffleball said:

Honestly, now that I think about it? The only other government that proudly displays their flag in the back of a pickup truck? Is isis. And Trump

Trump drives a pickup truck with a flag in the back?

30 minutes ago, wiffleball said:

Yes so again it's just me, but I can't imagine that there are other countries that have jackasses with deliberately loud pickup trucks with Trump and Queefanon and whatever flags flying from the back of their pickup truck.

How's your rusted out 1995 Toyota Corrola covered in Hillary, Biden, blm, antifa, and gay pride ("I'm so gay I can't even drive straight") bumper stckers getting on these days? 

7 hours ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

Israel would be another contender for most jingoistic.

Solid

15 hours ago, Brad GLuckman said:

I've been around the world a bit and I haven't seen another country where people fly the country's flag on their house like you see in the US. I can't remember ever really noticing it anywhere, actually. 

This was generally done by veterans... until 9/11, when everyone got into the act.

8 hours ago, wiffleball said:

Don't forget the BLM & Pride flags too.

13 hours ago, MDC said:

We like them so much we make boxer shorts out of them. 🩳 

It's like this makes me laugh when people get all up in arms about kneeling during the Anthem(disrespecting the country), but getting on the flag(literally) is a :dunno:

15 hours ago, Mike Honcho said:

It's like this makes me laugh when people get all up in arms about kneeling during the Anthem(disrespecting the country), but getting on the flag(literally) is a :dunno:

Screw that. Protesting during the anthem is protesting your right to protest. Don't protest at your job and keep it all outside of work. Then maybe people would respect you more and want you around at work. 

You've obviously never been to many other countries if you think the US is the most jingoistic.