Sign in to follow this  
cyclone24

When do you let your kids go to the pool by themselves?

So we live close enough to an outdoor aquatic center that I can see it from the end of my driveway. So my 11-year-old daughter who is a good swimmer and very responsible wants to go there by herself if I don’t want to go every single day. So twice I’ve let her go unbeknownst to her mother. She found out and had a fit about it.  

now even when we all go with her younger sisters she doesn’t wanna hang out with us and she runs often does the waterslides whatever so I’m not with her anyway. 

is 11 too young to let them go to the pool by themselves? 

15 minutes ago, cyclone24 said:

So we live close enough to an outdoor aquatic center that I can see it from the end of my driveway. So my 11-year-old daughter who is a good swimmer and very responsible wants to go there by herself if I don’t want to go every single day. So twice I’ve let her go unbeknownst to her mother. She found out and had a fit about it.  

now even when we all go with her younger sisters she doesn’t wanna hang out with us and she runs often does the waterslides whatever so I’m not with her anyway. 

Does she go there with friends? Or simply on her own? 

We had all my kids pass a swimming test.  I forget exactly what it entailed, but you had to tread water for a certain amount of time, be able to dive 8 feet and back, float for a certain time, etc.

Once each kid passed the swimming test, then we let them swim unsupervised.  I think it was around 13 or so, but I forget, later for my girls, earlier for my son.

9 minutes ago, GutterBoy said:

We had all my kids pass a swimming test.  I forget exactly what it entailed, but you had to tread water for a certain amount of time, be able to dive 8 feet and back, float for a certain time, etc.

Once each kid passed the swimming test, then we let them swim unsupervised.  I think it was around 13 or so, but I forget, later for my girls, earlier for my son.

Maybe he's more worried about pedos stealing his kid? Not sure. :dunno: But you know that subject well and maybe you can speak about it.

• Sad 2

I think 11 is ok for the swimming part if they are good at it. It’s the other stuff that would concern me. Does the place tolerate misbehavior? How’s the supervision? 

I mean we live in a nicer part of town so there’s not a lot of trouble over here. I’m probably more worried her crossing the street that I am being at the pool and something happening. 

She one time met some friends over there and the other time didn’t see anybody she knew and just swam around/ slides, etc. I’m not terribly worried about the pedophile thing. There’s a lot of kids and people running around.

i’m trying to give her a little bit of a leash of responsibility and I’ve talk to her about building that trust with me that I know she’s where she’s at and she’ll be on time coming home so later on we don’t have this battle where she’s sneaking around. 

35 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

Maybe he's more worried about pedos stealing his kid? Not sure. :dunno: But you know that subject well and maybe you can speak about it.

Dude. Just focking stop already with the pedo stuff. Come on. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheNewGirl said:

Dude. Just focking stop already with the pedo stuff. Come on. 

You wouldn't worry about your young kid being around and about on their own? I mean, everyone is trustworthy out in the world right?

25 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

You wouldn't worry about your young kid being around and about on their own? I mean, everyone is trustworthy out in the world right?

You're ridiculous. 

This isn't about worrying about my kids being out and about. 

This is about you never failing to call the poster a pedo; it's tired and old. 

3 minutes ago, TheNewGirl said:

You're ridiculous. 

Groomer/Pedo, whatever. They are both bad in my eyes. :dunno:

I would rather be over cautious with the very young ones than not. You have your take which is fine I guess.

Unfortunately, since many children are never reported missing, there is no reliable way to determine the total number of children who are actually missing in the U.S.

When a child is reported missing to law enforcement, federal law requires that child be entered into the FBI’s National Crime Information Center, also known as NCIC. According to the FBI, in 2021 there were 337,195 NCIC entries for missing children. In 2020, the total number of missing child entries into NCIC was 365,348.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

Groomer/Pedo, whatever. They are both bad in my eyes. :dunno:

I would rather be over cautious with the very young ones than not. You have your take which is fine I guess.

This isn't about caution, this is about YOU calling Gutter a PEDO every chance you get. 

My kids are 19 and 16 and they never went to a pool without me or my husband, and it had nothing to do with "pedos"  It was about my being a responsible focking parent. 

1 minute ago, TheNewGirl said:

This isn't about caution, this is about YOU calling Gutter a PEDO every chance you get. 

My kids are 19 and 16 and they never went to a pool without me or my husband, and it had nothing to do with "pedos"  It was about my being a responsible focking parent. 

Gutter has been defending grooming and pedo since he has been on this site. He's a name caller that needs some chick to stand up for him on a fantasy web site. Nuff said. 

I am about ready to start leaving my almost 9  year old son home alone. They did it in the movies

3 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

Gutter has been defending grooming and pedo since he has been on this site. He's a name caller that needs some chick to stand up for him on a fantasy web site. Nuff said. 

Gutter was just banned, presumably because of you.  I've never defended a pedo, and you're a piece of sh1t for continually saying that.

Also don't be jealous because no person would ever defend your BS here.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, vomit said:

Gutter was just banned, presumably because of you.  I've never defended a pedo, and you're a piece of sh1t for continually saying that.

Also don't be jealous because no person would ever defend your BS here.

"Presumable because of me"? Why would I be a rat? I have too much fun watching you flail. :lol: 

Welcome back so quickly gutboy. 

1 hour ago, TheNewGirl said:

You're ridiculous. 

jesus focking christ.

it is a serious issue.  one of the most important issues weve ever faced as a nation.  its not something to joke about.

Depends on the kid but I let my 12 and 8 y/o swim by themselves.

4 hours ago, cyclone24 said:

Whatever age our resident Pedo's say, add 5 years to it... then triple it, just to be safe.

Seriously though, I'd never send a child under 15 by themselves.  Now, your daughter is 11, if she went with a friend, that's fine.  I think her mother was right to be upset.

Depends on how much they are pissing me off that day and whether or not I want to thin the herd a bit or not. . .

48 minutes ago, porkbutt said:

did this to my 2yo

My dad would take us out in a row boat on a lake we vacationed at, and put us in the water and tell us to swim back to the shore. 

34 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

My dad would take us out in a row boat on a lake we vacationed at, and put us in the water and tell us to swim back to the shore. 

He must have been disappointed when you made it.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, MDC said:

He must have been disappointed when you made it.

Oh boy what a zinger. You must have been a joke writer on Two Broke Girls. 

1 hour ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Whatever age our resident Pedo's say, add 5 years to it... then triple it, just to be safe.

Seriously though, I'd never send a child under 15 by themselves.  Now, your daughter is 11, if she went with a friend, that's fine.  I think her mother was right to be upset.

Thats fair. 

We let our kids walk around town on their own around age 11.  There is no violent crime around here.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Utilit99 said:

2021 there were 337,195 NCIC entries for missing children

https://safeatlast.co/blog/child-abduction-statistics/#gref

Highlights: 99% return alive, less than 1% abuducted by strangers.

https://www.d2l.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Statistics_2_Perpetrators.pdf

90% child sex abuse is someone they know.  60% is someone that the family says they trust.  30% is family.

It's not the strangers that you need to be worry about.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, vomit said:

90% child sex abuse is someone they know.  60% is someone that the family says they trust.  30% is family.

Strangers are more easily to protect against by being more aware and safe.  Not that hard.

14 minutes ago, vomit said:

So 90% is cool and all is good with them? So the parents don't need to watch their young kids when they are alone?

And 10% of 337,195 don't matter? 

And in a previous post they admitted they have incomplete stats because many don't report their kids missing. 

You have a really interesting take on child rearing.

2 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

So 90% is cool and all is good with them? So the parents don't need to watch their young kids when they are alone?

And 10% of 337,195 don't matter? 

And in a previous post they admitted they have incomplete stats because many don't report their kids missing. 

You have a really interesting take on child rearing.

You have a complete inability to understand logic.  I suggest you light yourself on fire and see if that helps.

• Sad 1

Just now, vomit said:

You have a complete inability to understand logic.  I suggest you light yourself on fire and see if that helps.

Yeah. Great logic gutterslime.

1 minute ago, Utilit99 said:

Yeah. Great logic gutterslime.

It's the same logic used by the covid idiots that caused us to be locked up for 2 years, scared they were going to catch the sniffles.  Adults scared their kid is gonna get abducted, makes them sit in their room all day, when it is extremely rare.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, vomit said:

It's the same logic used by the covid idiots that caused us to be locked up for 2 years, scared they were going to catch the sniffles.  Adults scared their kid is gonna get abducted, makes them sit in their room all day, when it is extremely rare.

Ok. Let your young kid go out alone to a busy public place without friends at least. Fine with me. It's your kid. As for as chinese flu, the only times I put a mask on in public was when it was mandated to enter a store. And I was out every day of the lockdown.

Have fun.

yeah I mean in the end your neighborhood plays a factor,  but ultimately I guess we are just talking about risk right? I can get both sides of it and I’ll probably stop letting her do it but the risk of her getting hit by a car crossing that road is probably infinitely higher than a pedophile at the pool just happening to realize she’s by herself amongst 1000 kids and trying to lure her into a bathroom that she won’t go into or leave which she won’t do.  

You know your daughter's maturity level best.  Kids learn a lot and gain a lot of confidence from such experiences.  Make sure she can call you, and that she knows what to do if a stranger tries to take her.  Some useful things are yelling "you aren't my father/mother!", since most people presume a struggling kid is just misbehaving.  Also go for the face and eyes if in reach, most kids wouldn't do that to their parents and it will get attention.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jerryskids said:

You know your daughter's maturity level best.  Kids learn a lot and gain a lot of confidence from such experiences.  Make sure she can call you, and that she knows what to do if a stranger tries to take her.  Some useful things are yelling "you aren't my father/mother!", since most people presume a struggling kid is just misbehaving.  Also go for the face and eyes if in reach, most kids wouldn't do that to their parents and it will get attention.

Yep her verbiage is just yelling this is not my daddy or this is not my mommy help help. 

As opposed to her mother who is always being asked who her daddy is. 

9 hours ago, cyclone24 said:

Are they black??? If so, no.

11 feels borderline in today’s world. 

But that’s about the age when my friends and I would go to the country club pool alone in the 70’s

How many lifeguards are on duty?