• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Pimpadeaux said:

I have a pool. Forget the price. I've never been there. They tell me it's nice 

Life has been good to you.

1 hour ago, MLCKAA said:

is basically a pathetic loser.

15 minutes ago, Gepetto said:

Above ground pools don't count.

Yep.  Only a hot tub right now.  Retirement compound in a few years a pool is mandatory.   

Thankfully I put mine in in 2019. The price for one now is about double. 

10 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

🤬

6 hours ago, Gepetto said:

Above ground pools don't count.

Definitely not 

6 hours ago, frank said:

We have a pool and a pond... Pond'd be good for you.

Koi

We got our pool 20 years ago.  It's been great, the kids have enjoyed it, but every year it gets less and less use, and I know we're getting closer and closer to needing a major renovation.  It's a time and money sink and I'm looking forward to moving and getting rid of it.

7 hours ago, BeenHereBefore said:

So far.

No pool, but have access to many and never go. 

• Like 1

Salt water hot tub is the way to go. 

9 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

I forgot to to thank Donald Trump.  Thanks President Trump! 

• Like 1

20x40 inground salt water pool

3 hours ago, vomit said:

We got our pool 20 years ago.  It's been great, the kids have enjoyed it, but every year it gets less and less use, and I know we're getting closer and closer to needing a major renovation.  It's a time and money sink and I'm looking forward to moving and getting rid of it.

Our previous house had one; like you it was great when the kids were younger but got less use as we aged.

When we downsized a pool was sort of a don't care either way (most houses here have them), and our new smaller house has one.  I wish it didn't, as it would be prime patio space.  Moreso, it's a little deeper than a usual play pool here -- usually they are like 5 ft in the middle, this is maybe 6 ft.  Problem is I can't submerge with my stoma in my neck (another reason not to have a pool), and because of the depth I can't walk through the middle and need to keep to the edges.

I may look into the cost of making it shallower.

2 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

I don't think there is any way, at least any "right" way.  Any kind of hack would cost so much you're probably better off just filling it with dirt or getting a whole new pool.

9 minutes ago, vomit said:

I don't think there is any way, at least any "right" way.  Any kind of hack would cost so much you're probably better off just filling it with dirt or getting a whole new pool.

I've suspected this, which is why I've never really looked into it.  Bummer too, because the previous owners redid it and it is beautiful, including a planter lining the back with plants that attract butterflies and birds.  We're doing a major remodel of the inside this year; next year we'll look into the back yard pending finances.  At a minimum we want a much larger roof over the patio we have, perhaps expanding the covering over the pool a bit.  :thumbsup: 

19 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

That would be super easy to do, even something you could do yourself.  Find a self leveling high bond strength grout.  It would require some surface preparation and raising of the drain, but other than that all you have to do is pour it.  Let me know if you need any technical help, I have a background as a materials engineer.  

7 minutes ago, Horseman said:

That would be super easy to do, even something you could do yourself.  Find a self leveling high bond strength grout.  It would require some surface preparation and raising of the drain, but other than that all you have to do is pour it.  Let me know if you need any technical help, I have a background as a materials engineer.  

Sorry.  Vomit already said it’s a no go. Unless you have a minor in finance I’m going with him.  

Just now, Horseman said:

@jerryskids

I assumed your pool was lined with concrete.  Is it fiberglass, concrete or some sort of polymer vinyl?

No pool is lined with concrete.  A gunite pool has either a plaster, tile or pebble finish, or you have a vinyl liner.  Any kind of hack to build up the bottom would mean a new inside of the pool, which costs thousands, less for vinyl, but still expensive.

2 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Sorry.  Vomit already said it’s a no go. Unless you have a minor in finance I’m going with him.  

Just fill it with dirt!  🤣

4 minutes ago, vomit said:

No pool is lined with concrete.  A gunite pool has either a plaster, tile or pebble finish, or you have a vinyl liner.  Any kind of hack to build up the bottom would mean a new inside of the pool, which costs thousands, less for vinyl, but still expensive.

Gunite is a concrete blend of sand, cement, and water that's applied through a high-pressure hose.  We call it shotcrete, but if I said "shotcrete" or gunite" Jerry wouldn't have known what I was talking about.  You're out of your league here, you might just want to back away.

Me. 

I am a loser. Also in hot as fock CA. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Horseman said:

Gunite is a concrete blend of sand, cement, and water that's applied through a high-pressure hose.  We call it shotcrete, but if I said "shotcrete" or gunite" Jerry wouldn't have known what I was talking about.  You're out of your league here, you might just want to back away.

Again, no pool is lined with concrete, because there is a layer of plaster, tile, stone, etc on top of the gunite.

If he wanted to add a foot to the bottom of his pool, he would need to remove the plaster, raise the drain that is likely on the bottom, add a layer of rebar, add the new concrete, then replaster the pool.  I don't even know how structurally sound it would be.  It's easily a 10k job.

Now, shut the fock up with your solution of just pouring some grout on the bottom of the pool, you're focking retarded.

40 minutes ago, Horseman said:

@jerryskids

I assumed your pool was lined with concrete.  Is it fiberglass, concrete or some sort of polymer vinyl?

It's concrete/shotcrete with a pebble finish.

11 hours ago, BeenHereBefore said:

so far

2 hours ago, vomit said:

Again, no pool is lined with concrete, because there is a layer of plaster, tile, stone, etc on top of the gunite.

If he wanted to add a foot to the bottom of his pool, he would need to remove the plaster, raise the drain that is likely on the bottom, add a layer of rebar, add the new concrete, then replaster the pool.  I don't even know how structurally sound it would be.  It's easily a 10k job.

Now, shut the fock up with your solution of just pouring some grout on the bottom of the pool, you're focking retarded.

Let me help you out with the structural engineering - no rebar needed, you are just raising the deepest level of the floor, it's entirely in compression which is what the grout is designed for.  And you can finish the self leveling grout to match whatever whatever finish you have.  Like I already said, the biggest cost is in the labor for surface prep (that means removal of the existing finish plaster/tile/stone for people without a clue).  It would cost several thousand unless you did it yourself which would be super easy to do.  Probably impossible for you, but for someone with knowledge on how to use the materials, easy peasy.

@jerryskids Send me the dimensions of the pool, including the limits that you want to made shallower and I will work you up an estimate.  I'll show you how much it would cost for a contractor to do it and how much you can save by doing it yourself.  Include how it's lined (fiberglass, concrete, poly-composite) and how it's finished (plaster, tile, stone, other) and I will work up an estimate for you, for free.

Whatever you do don't just fill it with dirt because that would be dumb and would clog up your filter and ruin your pump!