Sign in to follow this  
bostonlager

USC and UCLA to join the B1G

I don't like it. 

all unprofitable college sports will die.  unless they want to pay huge bucks to fly the tennis teams across the nation.

11 minutes ago, bostonlager said:

I don't like it. 

Well hell, I don't like it as an ASU guy.  It's the beginning (or perhaps continuation) of the end as the PAC...10 again? to lose its status as a Power 5 conference in football.  It could be the end of the conference, at least for football, maybe basketball.  The west coast just doesn't have the population density to compete, other than LA and NorCal, and the NorCal schools are more into academics.

I always kinda liked the "conference of champions" and their commitment to diverse sports excellence, both men and women.  Baseball, softball, golf... sports I personally care or have cared about.  Lots of other more "obscure" sports.  It's a throwback to what sports used to be in college.  It'll be interesting to see if they continue with this model.

I could see the AZ schools getting into the Big 12, there has always been a little bit of a Texas rivalry.

1 minute ago, jerryskids said:

Well hell, I don't like it as an ASU guy.  It's the beginning (or perhaps continuation) of the end as the PAC...10 again? to lose its status as a Power 5 conference in football.  It could be the end of the conference, at least for football, maybe basketball.  The west coast just doesn't have the population density to compete, other than LA and NorCal, and the NorCal schools are more into academics.

I always kinda liked the "conference of champions" and their commitment to diverse sports excellence, both men and women.  Baseball, softball, golf... sports I personally care or have cared about.  Lots of other more "obscure" sports.  It's a throwback to what sports used to be in college.  It'll be interesting to see if they continue with this model.

I could see the AZ schools getting into the Big 12, there has always been a little bit of a Texas rivalry.

Sure looks like we are going to end up with 4 -25 team conferences. 

Looks like the B1G is taking over the nation.  All they need now is Florida and Texas then they'll be in every major market.

2 minutes ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

What’s the BIG?  I am looking for a number?  Serious question. I don’t follow college much

The Big Ten Conference.

15 minutes ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

Ty I woulda guessed the big 12. How many teams are in the big 10?  Is that the Ohio state Michigan one?

Ohio State

Michigan

Iowa

Illinois

Northwestern

Nebraska

Minnesota

Wisconsin

Purdue

Indiana

Rutgers

Penn State

Maryland

Michigan St.

20 hours ago, bostonlager said:

Sure looks like we are going to end up with 4 -25 team conferences. 

How do you think it will turn out?

SEC

B1G

Big 12 + PAC 12?

ACC + whoever else?  Or will ACC fold into SEC?

26 minutes ago, TimHauck said:

How do you think it will turn out?

SEC

B1G

Big 12 + PAC 12?

ACC + whoever else?  Or will ACC fold into SEC?

Basketball is what I think will keep the ACC afloat separately. I could see the big 4 being B1G, SEC, ACC and B12/PAC merger. It all depends on how much poaching is still in the plans. I’ve heard B1G wants to get into the Florida market. Do they try to swipe Miami or FSU?

1 hour ago, bostonlager said:

Miami or FSU?

Why not both?

5 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

Why not both?

That could happen too. Ultimately, I hate what is happening because yesterdays deal essentially killed the Rose Bowl. At the same time I’m being optimistic in that I hope they split D-1 in half. As a Miami (OH) alum, I have always had a soft spot for football mid-majors. No matter what they did outside of Cincinnati this past year, they had no chance of playing for a championship even if they go undefeated. Go ahead and realign the Power 5 into a super league and let the mid-majors play out their own championship 

17 minutes ago, bostonlager said:

That could happen too. Ultimately, I hate what is happening because yesterdays deal essentially killed the Rose Bowl. At the same time I’m being optimistic in that I hope they split D-1 in half. As a Miami (OH) alum, I have always had a soft spot for football mid-majors. No matter what they did outside of Cincinnati this past year, they had no chance of playing for a championship even if they go undefeated. Go ahead and realign the Power 5 into a super league and let the mid-majors play out their own championship 

Random fact I was scouted by Miami (OH) for swimming. That was until I moved away from Pontiac to Oxford which didn't have a swim team even though they were 99% white and Pontiac 60% black.

2 minutes ago, TimHauck said:

The major conf member shouldn't play ND until they join one.

1 minute ago, Cdub100 said:

Random fact I was scouted by Miami (OH) for swimming. That was until I moved away from Pontiac to Oxford which didn't have a swim team even though they were 99% white and Pontiac 60% black.

Miami is in Oxford, Ohio. Is that the Oxford you are talking about or is there one in Michigan? Either way, they are lib turds and we’re probably hoping you were a brotha that could swim. 

2 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

I played golf for their juco regional campus my freshman year. Could not make the team on main campus though. 

Just now, bostonlager said:

Miami is in Oxford, Ohio. Is that the Oxford you are talking about or is there one in Michigan? Either way, they are lib turds and we’re probably hoping you were a brotha that could swim. 

Yes Oxford, MI. This was the 90's so maybe but I don't think they went full retard that soon.

21 minutes ago, bostonlager said:

I think the BCS pretty much already killed the Rose Bowl.

And didn’t Cincinnati just prove the mid majors do have a chance?  Even moreso if they expand the playoff which I’d bet will happen.

1 minute ago, Cdub100 said:

Yes Oxford, MI. This was the 90's so maybe but I don't think they went full retard that soon.

That was about the time they changed the mascot from Miami Redskins to the RedHawks. They were in full retard mode 

1 minute ago, TimHauck said:

I think the BCS pretty much already killed the Rose Bowl.

And didn’t Cincinnati just prove the mid majors do have a chance?  Even moreso if they expand the playoff which I’d bet will happen.

Cincinnati Bengals as lucky in that a lot of powerhouse teams has losses. How many times did Boise State go undefeated and not sniff a chance to play for a title? Central Florida a few years ago too 

2 minutes ago, bostonlager said:

That was about the time they changed the mascot from Miami Redskins to the RedHawks. They were in full retard mode 

Either way I wasn't going there. I wanted to stay local, but moving changed that anyway.

My swim coach wanted me to take class in the fall at pontiac and switch to Oxford after swim season so I could still swim. But as I've mentioned before Pontiac was a hell hole.

2 minutes ago, bostonlager said:

Cincinnati Bengals as lucky in that a lot of powerhouse teams has losses. How many times did Boise State go undefeated and not sniff a chance to play for a title? Central Florida a few years ago too 

Got lucky. Not bengals. I’m drink and phone likes to auto correct 

2 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

Either way I wasn't going there. I wanted to stay local, but moving changed that anyway.

My swim coach wanted me to take class in the fall at pontiac and switch to Oxford after swim season so I could still swim. But as I've mentioned before Pontiac was a hell hole.

You didn’t miss much. Oxford, Ohio is in the middle of nowhere. I was there when Rothlisberger was there. I was at some of the same parties as him, but he didn’t pay me no attention. I did learn from him when it came to women though - Yes means yes and no means anal 

4 hours ago, bostonlager said:

Basketball is what I think will keep the ACC afloat separately. I could see the big 4 being B1G, SEC, ACC and B12/PAC merger. It all depends on how much poaching is still in the plans. I’ve heard B1G wants to get into the Florida market. Do they try to swipe Miami or FSU?

This is my thoughts as well.  PAC and B12 “Merger” as well as some shuffling here and there.  End up with 4, 16 team conferences.  Then a few second tiers.  I personally hate it but it’s about money, whatever.  

10 minutes ago, KSB2424 said:

This is my thoughts as well.  PAC and B12 “Merger” as well as some shuffling here and there.  End up with 4, 16 team conferences.  Then a few second tiers.  I personally hate it but it’s about money, whatever.  

We have no choice at this point. I’m old school so I hate the thought of change, but on the other hand it has potential. If THE Ohio State Buckeyes play powerhouse house teams week 1- though the Xhichigan game - I’m down. Enough with the gimme games. Let’s take a sharp knife and cut what is now. Division 1 in half. 

I’m using my home state team as an example here. THE Ohio State Buckeyes this year - 

week 1 - Arkansas Starw

week 2 - Toledo 

so dumb those teams are in new same division. Let’s blow it up and start over. 

19 hours ago, bostonlager said:

I’m using my home state team as an example here. THE Ohio State Buckeyes this year - 

week 1 - Arkansas Starw

week 2 - Toledo 

so dumb those teams are in new same division. Let’s blow it up and start over. 

Any school using THE when it isn’t part of their name is gayer than wiff

On 7/1/2022 at 9:55 AM, Hawkeye21 said:

Ohio State

Michigan

Iowa

Illinois

Northwestern

Nebraska

Minnesota

Wisconsin

Purdue

Indiana

Rutgers

Penn State

Maryland

Michigan St.

Fixed

The deterioration of college conferences/play started in 2005 (or thereabouts), when a bunch of schools left the Big East to go to the ACC and Big 10.  The O'Bannon case just stepped on the gas pedal.  No one should be tied to any of their hearts in the college athletics arena anymore.  What you knew, if not gone yet, will be gone soon.  In the next few years, there'll just be "The top 50" and everyone else.

1 minute ago, TBayXXXVII said:

The deterioration of college conferences/play started in 2005 (or thereabouts), when a bunch of schools left the Big East to go to the ACC and Big 10.  The O'Bannon case just stepped on the gas pedal.  No one should be tied to any of their hearts in the college athletics arena anymore.  What you knew, if not gone yet, will be gone soon.  In the next few years, there'll just be "The top 50" and everyone else.

Yup...  I miss the old Big East Conference...

23 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Really started in 1991 when the BE added football to begin with.  The ACC didn't grasp the gravity of football.  The SEC and others were sitting on their hands, while the BE changed the whole landscape.  Then the others came to their senses and destroyed the BE.  The damage had been done.