Sign in to follow this  
peenie

Can you read without saying the words out loud in your brain?

I’ve been playing this matching game on Duolingo. It’s simply picking the English word and then pairing it with its Spanish translation. It’s a timed game. The faster you can match up the words the more points you get. 
I realized that I was saying the words out loud in my head but if I could shut out that voice I would match the words twice as fast. 
However, I can’t seem to shut that voice in my head while I’m reading in general. 
Do you all see words and say them in your mind or just see them and understand their meaning without actual reading it out loud in your brain?

• Confused 1

I read words "out loud" mentally when I see them.

A little while ago I learned that just like there are people without a "mind's eye", there are people who don't have a mind's voice. One of the effects of that is they don't plan what they say in the manner most people do. Not that most people plan what they say ahead of time as a matter of course, but people without an inner monologue "plan" in a visceral way, so when they start talking, to an extent they are also discovering what they're saying.

They have a tendency to prepare for conflict or important questions (like potential interview questions) by discreetly actually verbalizing ahead of time. My mom is in that camp - no mind's voice, while my dad has no mind's eye.

When I read, I sort of mentally hear my own voice (usually without realizing it). People without an inner monologue digest the words with different mental sensations than "hearing." 

I think they have a tendency to express more anger in the heat of moments, because there isn't even a millisecond mental audit of what they're about to verbalize. They can seem highly reactive.

Interesting….

She doesn't have an inner monologue/dialog but she does process thought with a mind's eye. It's interesting to hear from people who have neither. It's wild how their thoughts spark. I'll see if I can find a good example.

You dont need to make up new words/concepts for it. 

People who speak without thinking we call dumb.  

People who talk to themselves in their head we call crazy.  

I don’t have a mind’s eye, the entirety of my thinking is my mind’s voice (which is me talking to myself in my head). As far as reading, I read Naomi’s post switching back and forth, no problem. I never really paid attention before to if I were speaking the words in my head or not and aren’t sure what my default is as I type this.

1 hour ago, naomi said:

He also doesn't have a mind's eye.

He hears the music not the words, I hear the words not the music. I know the music but it’s not drums or guitar or piano, it’s my voice imitating the sound of drums or guitar or piano with the rhythm and beat.

lts also not Tom Petty nor Pat Benatar singing in my head, it’s my voice impersonating Tom or Pat.

5 hours ago, Horseman said:

You dont need to make up new words/concepts for it. 

People who speak without thinking we call dumb.  

People who talk to themselves in their head we call crazy.  

Only when we answer ourselves.