Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

Round One - Three Commentary - July Mock 2022

Getting it started a little early, but there's really no other choice here. As I stated in the June mock, I'm not a fan of having a high pick this year. I don't think Taylor repeats, and there's not a whole lot of separation of talent in the rest of the round.

1.02 I went back and forth on 2 players, the decision point for me was being a PPR league. Ekeler can be a great receiver. And, the Chargers are a better offense than the team the other player is on.

Mike: was this too early to make a selection?

1.03  I struggled with this a bit.  I've honestly never taken a WR this early in a draft before.  but I feel given what Kupp did last year, its hard to ignore that kind of upside.

Even if he only ends up with what fftoday predicts for him its still a solid pick at this point in the draft by any metric you can think of.

its like hes controlling his picks remotely (boo bad pun)

I think I like the first eight picks in the draft this year, so of course I have No. 9.

I'm still trying to decide if I like Mixon's TD upside enough (and the likelihood Cincy gives him a career-high workload behind an improved o-line) to offset what can be sporadic usage in the passing game.

• Like 1

The first round went about as expected.  When I saw I was the glorious 12th pick, I pretty much started eyeing four players I thought would make it to me.  All four did.  Of the four, I decided to play it safe and go with the two with the least question marks.  

Diggs stats dipped a little last year, but he's still the #1 (more-so now without Beasley and Sanders) in a high-potent passing offense.

Lamb steps into the #1 role in Dallas (another high octane offense) and will be without Gallup for the beginning of the year.  Plus, he plays for Dallas.

I was hoping for Jefferson for I feel he is the safest wideout in the draft.  Chase will work.  These two went 9 and 10 in the June mock also.

2 minutes ago, Mike FF Today said:

We've past 2 hours waiting for Ralphster, so I'm making the pick for him. Top ADP player on the board...

Fred Taylor was the top ADP available.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mike FF Today said:

We've past 2 hours waiting for Ralphster, so I'm making the pick for him. Top ADP player on the board...

you gotta do what you gotta do.  The rules were laid out.  by participating we are obligated to follow them.   

I do think its a reasonable pick.

Adams was one of the other players I was considering at 1.12/2.01, if that helps.

ETA:  And Fournette was the other....

2 minutes ago, The Football Guru said:

Don't mess with Mike 😠

Ok then……. Johnny Manziel is available.

Just now, Mike FF Today said:

B) Just trying to keep things moving along...

You did the right thing Mike! Thank you.

I get the sense that I will have a ton of Barkley this season. I strongly considered passing in hopes he would last until the third round, but there is no reason to take that chance with mostly lead backs or committee backs remaining.

Sorry guys. I'll repick now. It's a little early to be this much of a dope.

ICEMAN

I strongly considered swift where I took Kelce. Nice pick this late in PPR. 

35 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

I strongly considered swift where I took Kelce. Nice pick this late in PPR. 

Swift was my pick if he lasted to #11. Yes, great selection.

As much as I don't like a high pick this year, the 2/3 turn can be a HELL of a spot for talent this year. A couple guys went earlier than I thought they would, so I'm very happy with Deebo and Javonte.

1 hour ago, robb said:

Swift was my pick if he lasted to #11. Yes, great selection.

he wouldnt have got to you.

I would have taken him.   But alas, twas not meant to be.

for my picks in round 2 and 3, a fair number of players I thought might be available at this point in the draft were taken.  

I finally settled on Zeke and Jacobs.    Zeke looked pretty good last year up until the point where he got hurt.   he didnt miss time last year, but the injury clearly affected him as he was not the same player for the rest of the year.

I'm hoping for a bounceback there and maybe a pivot by the Dallas offense to run a bit more due to the loss of Cooper.

For Jacobs, the offense in LV will be a whole lot better with the addition of Devonte Adams and the team will be better.  RB stats tend to mirror what the team is doing so better team  usually means better fantasy stats for the RB.   Specifically more TDs.  and more garbage time carries.  so I expect a bump in his stats fully into RB1 territory similar to what we saw in Mixon last year when his team became a playoff team.

Nice value on Tyreek. I briefly considered going WR/WR at the turn with him and Deebo, but had to go with Javonte because the RB options at the next turn are probably going to suck.

That was my feeling as well, V4E.  I was not expecting Tyreek to be there so that was a tough decision, but ultimately went with Conner (who I like anyway) because I knew the drop off was looming.

Agree with both of you. I thought of going RB too at the turn, but since this is PPR, figured I had better get a WR1. I’ll get my RB2 later and be okay with it.

not high on Hill, thought about another WR and Allen but went with high upside with AJ

Well the plan was for Conner to fall to me 😔

would have strongly considered Keenan Allen as well. 

Montgomery feels like a gross version of Conner

I don't think that Miami paid him all of that money to not make sure that Hill gets fed the ball. Obviously, Tua is a big step back in QB, but I think that there will be a lot of play designs to get Hill involved.

ICEMAN

Higgins was the other WR I was considering. Nice pick Guru!

• Like 1