Sign in to follow this  
Fumbleweed

**2022 British Open (Open Championship) Thread**

After 2 rounds we will have a top 5 of the 3 players who are playing the most consistently great golf in the world over the past 6 months, a hofer, and Cam Young, who is merely a top 20 player.  Anyone who predicted an underdog or no name couldn't have been more wrong. 

2nd to last group of DJ and Rory 😃😃😃

Hovland ruins everything. 😒

1 minute ago, remote controller said:

Will Dustin get Scottie or Hatton?

First in last out. I think Hatton finished before Scottie if I'm not mistaken. 

2 hours ago, remote controller said:

Will Dustin get Scottie or Hatton?

2 hours ago, bostonlager said:

First in last out. I think Hatton finished before Scottie if I'm not mistaken. 

I was wrong. DJ and Shiffler tomorrow 

The Open (and golf) losing Peter Alliss was like football losing John Madden. 

That being said, they may have something in Sam Torrence - what a find behind the mic. 

• Like 1

Anyone notice how old and feeble Jack is looking? It's alarming how much he's aged and how bad he looks. 

The same happened with Arnie. He looked fine one day and then almost overnight, he looked ill. I'm seriously worried his days are...well, I just won't be suprised is all. 

You mean like everyone else Jack is going to die? Oh my soul.  

8 hours ago, Cruzer said:

Anyone notice how old and feeble Jack is looking? It's alarming how much he's aged and how bad he looks. 

The same happened with Arnie. He looked fine one day and then almost overnight, he looked ill. I'm seriously worried his days are...well, I just won't be suprised is all. 

I noticed it a few years ago in the booth with Faldo and nance at his tournament. So I know what you’re saying but I think he’s been this way for the past two-three years. 

it makes me envy Gary Player so much more when you figure he is 86 and aside from his amazing  physical shape, he’s so mentally sharp. If you close your eyes and just listen you think you’re listening to a 55 year old. 

Normally I'd be pulling for and be excited to see Rory win 2moro. 

But gawd, the mere thought of him going off on a LIV soapbox makes me want to puke. And if he wins, you know it's coming. 

On 7/15/2022 at 11:21 PM, weepaws said:

You mean like everyone else Jack is going to die? Oh my soul.  

If you're gonna die, die with your boots on, if you're gonna die :wave:

9 hours ago, Cruzer said:

Normally I'd be pulling for and be excited to see Rory win 2moro. 

But gawd, the mere thought of him going off on a LIV soapbox makes me want to puke. And if he wins, you know it's coming. 

You couldn't be more wrong.

Glad Cam beat Rory. 

I don’t dislike Rory in general but I agree with cruzer. He would have been high up on his soapbox with a win in an event if this magnitude. 

6 hours ago, BufordT said:

You couldn't be more wrong.

Well since Rory didn’t win, obviously. 

On 7/13/2022 at 11:54 AM, Cruzer said:

Give me:

Cam Smith to win

Rose and Kisner as sleepers 

👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Rory played bogey free golf today and hit every green in regulation. He didn’t lose it. Smith just putted like the superhuman boss on the greens that he is. 

So much harder to win majors now than 15-25 years ago. Rory comfortably beat Hovland head to head which should have been enough given their lead to begin the day. There are so many guys with firepower these days. 

33 minutes ago, Fumbleweed said:

So much harder to win majors now than 15-25 years ago. Rory comfortably beat Hovland head to head which should have been enough given their lead to begin the day. There are so many guys with firepower these days. 

Playing bogey free golf and hitting every green is nice (though GIR isn’t tough for these guys at the old course), but a 70 on a day when the course was getting shredded wasn’t going to cut it. 

I think Rory had too Much of a play not to lose mentality and a focus on head to head with Hovland. Guys like Cam Smith and Young and even DJ, Tommy etc played more aggressive. They had to, of course, but it also was kind of the smart play given the conditions and how easy the course was playing. 

Smith putted great and Rory didn’t and that was the difference but I also think Rory could have won with a more aggressive game plan. 

24 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

Playing bogey free golf and hitting every green is nice (though GIR isn’t tough for these guys at the old course), but a 70 on a day when the course was getting shredded wasn’t going to cut it. 

I think Rory had too Much of a play not to lose mentality and a focus on head to head with Hovland. Guys like Cam Smith and Young and even DJ, Tommy etc played more aggressive. They had to, of course, but it also was kind of the smart play given the conditions and how easy the course was playing. 

Smith putted great and Rory didn’t and that was the difference but I also think Rory could have won with a more aggressive game plan. 

Great point…I’m just saying if Tiger in his prime was playing in the final group four shots ahead of everybody sans his partner,  he just locks in on beating his partner. He knew there was nobody dynamic enough to catch him from that far behind. This era is different. You’ve got assassins in every major field now. There are no more Ben Curtis, Shaun Michael, Todd Hamilton, or Rich Beem winners. Fields are much deeper and much more dangerous overall. 

23 minutes ago, Fumbleweed said:

Great point…I’m just saying if Tiger in his prime was playing in the final group four shots ahead of everybody sans his partner,  he just locks in on beating his partner. He knew there was nobody dynamic enough to catch him from that far behind. This era is different. You’ve got assassins in every major field now. There are no more Ben Curtis, Shaun Michael, Todd Hamilton, or Rich Beem winners. Fields are much deeper and much more dangerous overall. 

Agreed.  Though rory doesn’t make anyone wilt the way tiger mostly did. 

4 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

Agreed.  Though rory doesn’t make anyone wilt the way tiger mostly did. 

Yes. I agree with that. There were just no Cameron Smiths playing in the group in front holing everything in sight. Tiger always had the edge on the guy he was playing directly with (sans Yang of course). 

:pointstosky:    All pretty good points above me.  Rory going into today tied for 1st with a 4 stroke lead would've had to shoot -5 to win outright. Who'd of thunk it.  That said 34 putts in a round for a pro is atrocious.  And how many times did Cam Smith just miss going into one of those pot bunkers.  Probably wouldn't matter with him cuz he's not afraid to sink a 25 footer for par. Helluva job, Cam, now get a haircut.

Just read a stat that said Rory beat 98% of the players in the majors overall this year. And goes home empty-handed. Damn

15 minutes ago, BufordT said:

:pointstosky:    All pretty good points above me.  Rory going into today tied for 1st with a 4 stroke lead would've had to shoot -5 to win outright. Who'd of thunk it.  That said 34 putts in a round for a pro is atrocious.  And how many times did Cam Smith just miss going into one of those pot bunkers.  Probably wouldn't matter with him cuz he's not afraid to sink a 25 footer for par. Helluva job, Cam, now get a haircut.

36 putts actually.

Looks like Smith is headed to LIV. That probably locks in Scheffler as POY on PGA Tour. They would be neck and neck otherwise. 

16 minutes ago, Fumbleweed said:

36 putts actually.

Looks like Smith is headed to LIV. That probably locks in Scheffler as POY on PGA Tour. They would be neck and neck otherwise. 

That would be funny if KSB did indeed draft a LIV guy after all. 

7 hours ago, Fumbleweed said:

Ummm, sure about that? I agree, prolly harder to win majors now than 15 years ago. 

But 25 years ago there was this kid... who was not only kicking everyone's ass like a stepchild, but setting unbreakable records along the way, These guys today have a much easier time winning majors against themselves than they ever would have back then. 

7 hours ago, Cruzer said:

Ummm, sure about that? I agree, prolly harder to win majors now than 15 years ago. 

But 25 years ago there was this kid... who was not only kicking everyone's ass like a stepchild, but setting unbreakable records along the way, These guys today have a much easier time winning majors against themselves than they ever would have back then. 

Maybe that's why he won so much, it was easier. 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

Maybe that's why he won so much, it was easier. 

So Tiger is only Tiger bcoz he was drilling Duval, Phil, VJ, Els, Sergio, DLIII, Lehman, Furyk, etc… Tiger would have only won 17ish tournaments is he were in his 20s today? 

Ummm, I’m gonna say no on that. 

44 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

So Tiger is only Tiger bcoz he was drilling Duval, Phil, VJ, Els, Sergio, DLIII, Lehman, Furyk, etc… Tiger would have only won 17ish tournaments is he were in his 20s today?

I was being facetious---I'll add a smiley next time.  ;)  

45 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

I think you have to look at each major on a case by case basis. Many of Tiger’s major wins happen in any era. Untouchable, like you said. But, in some, he was able to do exactly what Rory did yesterday and still win. If you break them down case by case, it makes it a fascinating thing. Like I said, prior to Yang, Tiger always outplayed the one guy he had to on Sundays- his partner. Guys going crazy low in the group in front of him didn’t happen. 

20 hours ago, WhiteWonder said:

Glad Cam beat Rory. 

I don’t dislike Rory in general but I agree with cruzer. He would have been high up on his soapbox with a win in an event if this magnitude. 

I really wanted Rory to win but I have no issue with Joe Dirt winning.  He sure as hell earned the victory.

2 minutes ago, Bert said:

I really wanted Rory to win but I have no issue with Joe Dirt winning.  He sure as hell earned the victory.

He will happily take that filthy trophy to the LIV tour

2 hours ago, Fumbleweed said:

I think you have to look at each major on a case by case basis. Many of Tiger’s major wins happen in any era. Untouchable, like you said. But, in some, he was able to do exactly what Rory did yesterday and still win. If you break them down case by case, it makes it a fascinating thing. Like I said, prior to Yang, Tiger always outplayed the one guy he had to on Sundays- his partner. Guys going crazy low in the group in front of him didn’t happen. 

I think you're right, in some cases he was able to do exactly what Rory did yesterday and win.  Tiger almost always outplayed his partner on Sunday, like you said.... and yes, guys in groups in front of him never went crazy low. 

I just think that last part had more to do with the mere presence of Tiger scaring everyone in striking distance, not just the guy in his group. Rory does not have that same impact. He doesn't scare anyone. By all accounts, Tiger was not well liked in his prime. He had a killer instinct. Rory seems like a happy go lucky kid in comparison who is probably good friends with most of the other guys. Golf is more like that now. They all seem more friendly with each other than they did in the past. 

No way to ever know but if it was Prime Tiger Woods in that final group on Sunday, I'm not sure if guys like Cam Smith and Cam Young have the nerve to play so loose and aggressive and hole as many putts. I have to imagine that in Tiger's day, there were majors that had guys like Phil, Ernie, Vijay, Goosen, etc who were not in the final group but maybe in the final few groups who did not make the kind of charge Smith made this week.... but those guys were just as talented and certainly capable of it. 

Joe Dirt's caddie said he had a huge set of balls. I have to agree. Rory has very little

Anyone watching the Champions Open? 

Getting to watch C. Pavin is a treat all in itself. Talk about a throwback, damn shame that style of golf is ancient history. 

10 hours ago, Cruzer said:

Anyone watching the Champions Open? 

Getting to watch C. Pavin is a treat all in itself. Talk about a throwback, damn shame that style of golf is ancient history. 

Will this weekend for sure. I like the weekend cause the leaders play last