Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

Baker Mayfield headed to Carolina

Every site that I see his ADP  on , he’s listed as a mid to low wr2. So unless you’re contracted to draft from the adp on this site, you will be considering him then.  Congrats. 

13 hours ago, Ray_T said:

I'm not buying that.  sorry man.

I respect your opinion on a lot of other matters, but disagree with you on this.

Darnolds best season of his career he was just over 3000 yards passing.   Baker has eclipsed 3000 yards passing every year.

I acknowledge Darnold may have had worse coaching and worse talent, but his last 2 years he threw more INT than TD.   Mayfield has never had that happen though he did have one year where he threw far too many INT for my liking.   bottom line is if you throw more TD than INT, people will find a way to work with you.  but more INT than TD... not so much.

so I dont blame the team for moving on.  

Not suggesting Baker will be the Savior of the team but he will be an improvement on what they have there now.   The bar is pretty low.

Both aren't good... I'm just saying that the reason people think Mayfield is good and Darnold blows, is because of the teams they were surrounded by.  Like I said, we're talking about backup level QB's, so it doesn't really matter.  I just think that it's funny where some people have this fantasy that Mayfield is a good QB.  That's just insane.

46 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Both aren't good... I'm just saying that the reason people think Mayfield is good and Darnold blows, is because of the teams they were surrounded by.  Like I said, we're talking about backup level QB's, so it doesn't really matter.  I just think that it's funny where some people have this fantasy that Mayfield is a good QB.  That's just insane.

Who is saying Baker is ‘ a good QB’? I mean compared to Darnold he’s good but that’s not the same thing. You were the one to post that Darnold is much better than Baker, and some including myself pushed back on that hyperbolic statement.  I think it’s funny how quickly you are backtracking, but better late than never…

13 minutes ago, jrokh said:

Who is saying Baker is ‘ a good QB’? I mean compared to Darnold he’s good but that’s not the same thing. You were the one to post that Darnold is much better than Baker, and some including myself pushed back on that hyperbolic statement.  I think it’s funny how quickly you are backtracking, but better late than never…

I said we're talking about the #40 and #50 best QB's in the league.... Darnold being #40, I don't know, to me, I'd say being 20% better than someone else is "much better".

20 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Darnold is easily a better QB than Mayfield.  Though, neither are that good.  Keep in mind though that 2 of Darnold's wins came against the Jets and Houston.

How is Darnold easily better then Mayfield, that doesn’t look like 20% better 🧐

39 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I said we're talking about the #40 and #50 best QB's in the league.... Darnold being #40, I don't know, to me, I'd say being 20% better than someone else is "much better".

Maybe you are just trolling, if so, then well done, I guess. If not, then I am still waiting for you to explain or demonstrate what Darnold has done on the actual football field that is better than what Baker has achieved. All you have provided thus far are meaningless phrases like 'common sense' or 'logic' with nothing to support your position.  Here I will show you what it might look like: ...

https://stathead.com/tiny/HXjIt

10 hours ago, jrokh said:

Maybe you are just trolling, if so, then well done, I guess. If not, then I am still waiting for you to explain or demonstrate what Darnold has done on the actual football field that is better than what Baker has achieved. All you have provided thus far are meaningless phrases like 'common sense' or 'logic' with nothing to support your position.  Here I will show you what it might look like: ...

https://stathead.com/tiny/HXjIt

well, based on what hes suggesting I dont think there is a way to prove it.

Darnold did have less to work with in New York, but I felt the talent in Carolina was fine.  Teddy Bridgewater put up reasonable stats there before they ditched him for Mr. Darnold.

Darnold didnt do as well as Teddy so I"m inclined to say Teddy is better than he is.  once again, thats not saying much.   neither of them lit the world on fire with this roster.

That said I feel the talent in Carolina is different from that of the Browns.   Browns had (in my opinion) a better O line.   they had some good WR and so does Carolina.  but Carolina has had a pretty bad line.  I have hopes for this year as I think they made some offseason changes to help the situation. but I do think that Baker is Better than Darnold.   Not by enough that I'm excited but certainly Baker appears to be an average to slightly below average starting NFL QB  I think he tops out at average to slightly above average if in the right situation..   Darnold does not.     Darnold is borderline in terms of being a starter.     He may be better suited to being a backup.

Lol I recall another poster saying the sane thing going into last season, Bridgewater is better then Darnold. 

I think T Marshall is on my watch list now that the Panthers picked up a better Qb.  

On 7/7/2022 at 7:57 AM, JagFan said:

No, I don’t understand football 😂

Yes, I think the team as a whole is better with Darnold.  They are both mediocre at best, but Baker’s personality is more disruptive.

And the Panthers were 3-1 last year with both Darnold and CMC on the field together.

The problem there is, the season isn't 4 games long.

They looked good at the start of the season. Darnold looked like a decent QB, and fit well with the Panthers.

It didn't take long though for the wheels to fall off...

They beat up on basement dwellers in the first 3 games, and then they got beat up by the Cowboys. Darnold played decent in that game, but it was just clear the Panthers couldn't keep up with a low level playoff team.

17 hours ago, weepaws said:

Lol I recall another poster saying the sane thing going into last season, Bridgewater is better then Darnold. 

I think T Marshall is on my watch list now that the Panthers picked up a better Qb.  

That conversation had many sides to it.  I actually defended the move to bring in Darnold.   mostly based on the fact we still didnt fully know what Darnold is capable of.

That said, he played 2/3 of a season due to injury.   part of me thinks we still dont fully know.  but the coaching staff knows.   They see him every day.

I still think it was the right move to make.  I dont think they were ever gonna be more than a mediocre team with Bridgewater so the decision was to see if Darnold can be better.  we also figured there was the possibility he was ruined by the Jets who botched his development.    I think this turned out to be the case.

But, when you make a move like this and it backfires, you do end up with a high draft pick if it doesnt work out.

Now they are trying it again.  Though I think Baker is considerably more proven than Darnold and I have no doubt hes the better player.

Whether he will be good enough to make this team a playoff team is perhaps another matter.

I wonder if any NFL team has ever had 3 QBs drafted in the top 10 in the same year on their roster before, and that said, I wonder if Josh Rosen is available?

3 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

I wonder if any NFL team has ever had 3 QBs drafted in the top 10 in the same year on their roster before, and that said, I wonder if Josh Rosen is available?

I think Carolina should try and trade Mayfield to Cleveland for Watson.

• Haha 1

On 7/9/2022 at 5:40 PM, Ray_T said:

That conversation had many sides to it.  I actually defended the move to bring in Darnold.   mostly based on the fact we still didnt fully know what Darnold is capable of.

That said, he played 2/3 of a season due to injury.   part of me thinks we still dont fully know.  but the coaching staff knows.   They see him every day.

I still think it was the right move to make.  I dont think they were ever gonna be more than a mediocre team with Bridgewater so the decision was to see if Darnold can be better.  we also figured there was the possibility he was ruined by the Jets who botched his development.    I think this turned out to be the case.

But, when you make a move like this and it backfires, you do end up with a high draft pick if it doesnt work out.

Now they are trying it again.  Though I think Baker is considerably more proven than Darnold and I have no doubt hes the better player.

Whether he will be good enough to make this team a playoff team is perhaps another matter.

I think this pretty much sums it up.

Before last year, there was some optimism which I agreed with around Darnold at least potentially being better than Bridgewater (which isn’t saying much) because he wasn’t given much of a chance to succeed with the Jets, and Bridgewater is what he is.  The Panthers roster (especially without McCaffrey) wasn’t great, but it wasn’t horrible, but I think last season made it clear that Darnold isn’t very good.

Mayfield is what he is too, but has proven he is better than Darnold.  Pretty laughable to suggest otherwise IMO.   So the team is definitely better after getting him.  But of course being better than Darnold isn’t saying much, and right now their best chance is basically hoping for a shot at a wild card spot.  As a fan I would’ve rathered they just stuck with Darnold and tanked.  No way their draft pick will be better with Mayfield than it would’ve been with Darnold.

But, also possible that Corral may be better than both of them as supposedly he has been looking pretty good.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TimHauck said:

it is possible that Corral is the guy we are talking about in Carolina this time next year.

No guarantees, but I thought he should have been drafted a bit earlier than he was, and I think the kid has some upside.   They just need to develop him and not rush him into starting before he is ready. 

He can benefit from a redshirt rookie year.

Panthers upgrade at Qb.  Darnold wasn’t good with the Jets, most knew he wouldn’t be good with the Panthers, I said he wouldn’t be better then Bridgewater, they both didn’t have Mccaffery.  

But now they are better at Qb , good news for Moore and Mccaffery owners imo.  

Good move, that old Jets combo of Darnold to Anderson was a waist of time.