Sign in to follow this  
gitrdun

When do you draft IDP's?

This is my 1st time playing in a league that uses IDP's starts 2. I really have no idea when you start drafting them.

In a start 2 league they are useless and are just token guys.

In my IDP league we start 9 IDP players, same as on the other side of the ball. Linebackers are usually valued quite highly in that system.

• Like 1

With the Ds and Ks at the very end.

There are always a billion serviceable IDPs on the waiver wire when you only start one or two.

no matter how many you start, draft them very late.  you're going to want safeties and linebackers in those spots and random defensive players come out of nowhere every season to be top contributors in IDP. 

also IDP leagues are generally created by people who want to seem smarter than the room by getting rid of simple team defense and acting like super scouts

Yeah with only 2 IDPs you can wait until near the end of your draft.  I mean, if you're gonna do IDP.... do IDP.  3 LBs, 2 DL, 3 DB would be my ideal lineup.

What everyone else has said. If it's just two random IDP players, draft them dead last.

Look for LB's that wear the green dot since they'll likely be on the field almost every play. Mike Woellert over at 4for4 does a recurring article each year that usually breaks down which players are doing that. For an example here's last year during Week 17: https://www.4for4.com/2021/w1/three-down-linebackers-2021-idp-leagues?aid=woellert  . A lot of those guys will be in the same situation this year as well, so it's a nice primer without much insight/research.

If you're getting corners you actually want the guys that get targeted a bunch since they get a lot of tackles/pass deflections/etc. Safeties are always good too since they get a bunch of different stats.

Defensive linemen (regardless of NT or DE) are pretty useless unless your league has some True IDP scoring settings to balance them out, but even then it's tough to get LB production out of any other position on the defensive side of the ball.

4 minutes ago, giraldi02 said:

What everyone else has said. If it's just two random IDP players, draft them dead last.

yeah,  I'd draft them after the  defense and either just before or just after your kicker.

obviously it depends on whats left at the time.   if there is the last player in the top tier maybe you grab him before you grab your kicker.   but its a value call based on what talent is left at the time.   I certainly wouldnt be breaking down the door to grab one early.   thats for sure.