Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

Round Eleven - Sixteen Commentary - July Mock 2022

3 minutes ago, Vikings4ever said:

Robert Tonyan: 1 word sums up my TEs: Yeesh. Tonyan's coming off an injury, but GB needs someone to catch the ball with the loss of Adams. Not expecting 11 TDs again, but who knows?

who knows indeed.  if hes good enough for 11 TD's maybe he deserves more work elsewhere.

and with Adams leaving there are a lot of targets to replace.  his replacement cant possibly take them all, so someone has to take more work in this offense.  Maybe its him.

at this point in the draft its not a terrible gamble.

14 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

Drafting a backup QB who is likely never to see the field......  a necessary evil.   a couple QB's I didnt pick last round I had hoped would make it to me... but no such luck.

Winston is the guy who stands out.  hes actually thrown for 4000 yards 3 times and one of those was a 5000 yard season.   as a late round flyer I cant complain.

Probably should have taken my backup QB a round or 2 earlier but I can live with this.

strongly considered him before going with what I felt was the much safer Matty Ice.   

like the pick

1 minute ago, WhiteWonder said:

strongly considered him before going with what I felt was the much safer Matty Ice.   

like the pick

I felt he was the highest upside QB.  probably the lowest floor too of the remaining starters. 

but at this point in the draft, I figured might as well swing for the fences.

@Ray_T   Marlon Mack was picked last round by me..... after picking the already selected Dameon Pierce.  :lol:

how did I miss that? sorry

Njoku already taken.

If Njoku had made it back to me I would have taken him, so I decided to take a sixth WR as insurance since I won't have Hopkins for 6 weeks.  I'm hoping they paid MVS to be a big part of that offense, and I like Osborn if anything happens to Thielen, or even if he starts to regress.

37 minutes ago, Mike FF Today said:

Let's wrap this sucker up by end of business on Thursday!

Yessss!

7 hours ago, Mike FF Today said:

Let's wrap this sucker up by end of business on Thursday!

I agree….  let’s make it a priority folks.

Analyzing my roster:

QB: Pat Mahomes, Cousins
Very Good. Losing Hill hurt, but Mahomes should still be Mahomes. Cousins is a top tier QB2, and could easily move into QB1 territory.

RB: Jonathan Taylor, Javonte Williams, Antonio Gibson, Tony Pollard, Jamaal Williams
Excellent. I'm still not high on Taylor, but everyone else I'm happy with where they fell to me. Should be the strength of my team.

WR: Deebo Samuel, Adam Thielen, Amari Cooper, Tyler Lockett, Kenny Golladay, Jarvis Landry
Pretty good. Samuel was an absolute steal at 2.12, Thielen and Cooper are both low end WR2s/high end WR3s. Lockett and Golladay are both big question marks, but I like Landry to bounce back in NO.

TE: Pat Freiermuth, Robert Tonyan
Terrible. You guys started taking your TE2s earlier than I anticipated, and it cost me. Just hopefully these 2 can stay healthy and provide enough points not to sink the ship.

D/ST: TBD
It'll be a defense

Overall: Excepting the TEs, I'm thrilled with this roster. The other biggest question mark is the backup WRs, but I'm comfortable with who I took.

White Wonder out there?

WW needs a defense. I'm going to give him the highest ranked D/ST on my board. If he wants to change his pick later to something that hasn't been picked, I'll allow it.

• Like 1

If he changes his pick does that mean I could change to the Pats D?  :)

8 minutes ago, Vikings4ever said:

Just noticed Ralphster took 2 Ds. Guessing that was a mistake on his part. :ninja:

or he did it for that league we have???

I thought about taking another WR but decided that a second backup QB may not be a bad thing since there are no trades or waivers in this league.

So Goff is mine.

good draft everyone thanks for letting me participate

Sorry folks. I made my 15th round pick and then headed to the golf course. Meant to check in on my cell but completely spaced.   Thanks for the DST, Mike. :thumbsup:

Thanks to everyone for this year's Mock. I enjoyed the comments on why you selected who you selected. That is how I learn for my "real" drafts!

Speaking of comments, might as well close this out:

I originally was planning on taking Austin Hooper to close out my draft.  Not too long ago he was the highest paid TE in the league and put together back to back top 6 finishes.  Then he was shipped off to the Cleveland wasteland and shared time with Njoku and some other guy I can't remember.  He's "the man" now in Tennessee and they have a lot of targets up for grabs.  All that to say he has the same bye week as Hockenson, so I had to pivot to Engram.  The guy has talent and is in a new situation in Jacksonville with a coach who fed Zach Ertz.

The Colts are a defense.  They tied for the highest turn over rate in the league last year, they play Houston and Jacksonville twice each and the Legion of Boom creator is now their D-Coordinator.  

Roster Analysis

QB: Hurts, Ryan
There are QB's I would prefer but the draft fell such that Hurts felt like the upside play to make. Ryan feels like the safe floor guy on his new team. I feel more than fine with this duo.

RB: Montgomery, Akers, Edmonds, Henderson, Mack
The weak part of my team but considering I chose to pass on RB in my first two rounds, I am not too disappointed with how the group turned out. It's basically Montgomery, the Rams backfield, Edmonds PPR upside and Mack who could be a steal or could be cut before the season. 

WR: Jefferson, Johnson, Davis, Kirk, Pierce, Williams
Good, probably not great considering I landed Jefferson and waited until round 5 for my next receiver. I think it's a balanced group but I could have opted to make it a league strongest group. Johnson fell too far for me to pass and the key might be Davis stepping into the #2 role in Buffalo. I like Kirk as a 4th. Sort of wish my depth after that was not reliant on rookies but I do happen to think Pierce will outperform his ADP and once Williams gets on the field, he will have a chance to be the top WR in this draft class. 

TE: Kelce, Okwuekbunam
I still think he is the top TE in fantasy and believe the departure of Hill will elevate his stats. I think the KC offense will have enough around him that defenses wont be able to take him out. Okwuekbunam was a luxury pick. In my real drafts, I doubt I will have many copies of Kelce though, just because I am starting to feel that it's more pertinent to grab a RB in round 2 and target Dalton Shultz a few rounds later. 

DST: New England
Sure

Overall:  Not my best work but I probably felt great about my 2021 draft and an insane amount of injuries and mental health issues caused me to barely be fielding a team most weeks. I am pleased with my starting pass catchers, comfortable with my starting backs, and comfortable with my QB situation. Right now, Kirk or Edmonds would be my flex unless Albert O flashes. I will admit I failed to remember that this was a no kicker, flex spot league until roughly round 14. That knowledge may have impacted my picking a backup TE where I did, in favor of depth WR/RB for flex purposes. 

Nice job guys! Thanks to everyone for participating. The results are linked from the FFToday home page.

I may get a half-PPR mock going in early August. If your interested, be on the lookout for a casting call on the FFToday board in a couple days.

:thumbsup:

well, I took a little time to digest the draft.   I dont think its my best work but this in part is because of the competition and in part because I tried a different strategy than I normally employ (taking a WR top 5)  so I figured it would be a bit of a learning experience.

nearly every player I had labelled as a player I wanted at their ADP was gone long before their ADP.    to me this speaks to the level of competition.  in a normal draft a lot more of these guys I had targetted would have fallen to me.   I did kind of expect this, just maybe not to the degree it actually happened.

to summarize,  you guys are pretty good.  maybe one of the toughest draft rooms I've been a part of.

you normally dont get this good of a competition for only a mock so I was quite pleased with this and I have a better idea of which players I can wait on and which I cannot.

I guess thats the reason you do a Mock, but very rarely do you get an insight this deep into the draft because people quit their online mocks after the first couple rounds and you get a computer generated pick (which might as well be from an ADP chart)

anyhow, thanks again everyone.  This was fun.

• Like 1

QB's - Stafford (7), Tannehill (6)

RB's - Fournette (11), Mitchell (9), Dillon (14), Herbert (14), Gainwell (7)

WR's - Chase (10), McLaurin (14), Jeudy (9), Woods (6), Crowder (7), Watson (14)

TE's - Knox (7), Fant (11)

D/ST - Cowboys (9)

I feel solid at all positions.  The Fant pick at 10.03 almost was and should have been Cousins.  I decided to hope he would float back my way.  I'm okay with Tannehill and 8 rushing TD's the last two seasons and feel Woods/Burks covers the AJ loss.   I'm also fine with Fant as my back up TE.  Sure hoping Lock wins the job to make that pick even  a little better.  V4E got me again in round 12 when I took Tannehill while eying Gallowday.  I switched to the slot receiver, Crowder, on a pass happy team.  Watson is my hope and dream pick....hoping he catches a lightning bolt with Rodgers.  

I feel my top 3 backs and top 4 receivers are very good,  Herbert and Gainwell can be solid injury fill ins along with being solid #2 Rb's on their squads, and Knox is a great redzone option..  

edited to include - White Wonder took Montgomery forcing me to go with Eligah Mitchell.  I have been grabbing Montgomery/Herbert in all my drafts as Montgomery is in the last year of his contract and they might give Herbert a bigger look.  I just wanted to lock in a starter.

Thanks again everyone!

31 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

well, I took a little time to digest the draft.   I dont think its my best work but this in part is because of the competition and in part because I tried a different strategy than I normally employ (taking a WR top 5)  so I figured it would be a bit of a learning experience.

nearly every player I had labelled as a player I wanted at their ADP was gone long before their ADP.    to me this speaks to the level of competition.  in a normal draft a lot more of these guys I had targetted would have fallen to me.   I did kind of expect this, just maybe not to the degree it actually happened.

to summarize,  you guys are pretty good.  maybe one of the toughest draft rooms I've been a part of.

you normally dont get this good of a competition for only a mock so I was quite pleased with this and I have a better idea of which players I can wait on and which I cannot.

I guess thats the reason you do a Mock, but very rarely do you get an insight this deep into the draft because people quit their online mocks after the first couple rounds and you get a computer generated pick (which might as well be from an ADP chart)

anyhow, thanks again everyone.  This was fun.

It is like the June mock....you have to be on your toes.  Thanks for joining in!

Mike - You should post a link of the results on the Main Bored and see what kind of feedback we get.

ICEMAN

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ICEMAN said:

Mike - You should post a link of the results on the Main Bored and see what kind of feedback we get.

ICEMAN

I posted the June draft after about round 12 and it got pulled.  I realized right then I wasn't getting a T-Shirt for posting it.

On 7/14/2022 at 6:41 PM, Mike FF Today said:

Nice job guys! Thanks to everyone for participating. The results are linked from the FFToday home page.

I may get a half-PPR mock going in early August. If your interested, be on the lookout for a casting call on the FFToday board in a couple days.

:thumbsup:

A lot of traveling for me in August. I’ll have to decline. Thanks though!

It was a joy mocking with you all this July. Enjoy the season this year.

I am not thrilled with my draft as I made a number of mistakes and mis-judgements. But, I learned from it and will take those mistakes and turn them into positives for the 2022 season. If I finish 10th........I would consider it asuccess.

My favorite part of the mock is Jerry Bryant hating on it in the comments because our picks are SO FAR OFF every other site's ADP. 

14 minutes ago, ralphster said:

My favorite part of the mock is Jerry Bryant hating on it in the comments because our picks are SO FAR OFF every other site's ADP. 

I think he's referring to my site rankings as being off. He's positive on everyone's picks in the mock.