Sign in to follow this  
MDC

What’s the furthest in advance you’ve bought concert tickets?

One of my favorite bands from the 90s, Unwound, are playing their first shows in 20 years next year. I just bought tickets for March 16, 2023.

Hopefully I’m still alive then..

How about you? :cheers: 

Thanks to Covid a couple years.  We had Tix for The Dirty Knobs for early 2020.  Then the lockdowns hit.  The show finally happened a couple months ago.

I want to say I first bought tickets for Roger Waters back in 2019.  Thx to Covid the show is finally happening in September. 

Non-covid wise I would say perhaps 9 or 10 months in advance for bigger name acts like TOOL, Iron Maiden, etc.

about 10 months.. WASP in November, cant wait

Several months, immediately when they went on sale in many instdances, but I don't think that preceeded any show by more than a few months.  I seem to remember a BB King show going on sale may five or six months in advance and an Eric Clapton one as well.  I seem to recall the Division Bell tour of Pink Floyd, if you could call them that without Roger Waters, went on sale a bit earlier than normal, but not significantly.  Also, in the 70's there was a stadium tour featuring Heart, Yes, and Renaissance which went on sale fairly early.  That show got cancelled in Milwaukee.  Sometimes Grateful Dead tickets went up a bit early back in the day.

47 minutes ago, Engorgeous George said:

Several months, immediately when they went on sale in many instdances

Band I’m going to see if playing only a handful of shows and 2 on back to back nights in my city. Tix went on sale at noon. I logged on at 12:05 and the first was already sold out. :o 

2 minutes ago, MDC said:

Band I’m going to see if playing only a handful of shows and 2 on back to back nights in my city. Tix went on sale at noon. I logged on at 12:05 and the first was already sold out. :o 

I remember getting in line for Pink Floyd tickets six hours before they went on sale.  The box office line was already maybe a thousand people long.  Supposedly they were only selling at the box office.  I finally got to the box office and they were then within moments of selling out. How 1000 people purchased nearly 60,000 tickets was beyond me, but they did.  Leaving I saw dozens of folks scalping their just purchased tickets. One female propositioned me for mine.  My girlfriend who was with me was not amused.  I thought there was going to be a cat fight but no such luck.

Not a Sinatra fan in the least, but my brother convinced me we should see the icon before he died.  Tickets were ridiculously expensive.  Those went on sale fairly early.  I mildly enjoyed his show. I was glad after, that I saw the icon even if it was not my cup of tea, particularly.  

i bought tickets to new kids on the block playlist tour 6 months ago!!!!!! rick astley was just icing on the cake for me!!! :o

11 minutes ago, porkbutt said:

i bought tickets to new kids on the block playlist tour 6 months ago!!!!!! rick astley was just icing on the cake for me!!! :o

Thounds like phun. :wub: 

I bought tickets for my daughter and I to see Taylor Swift in a December for a show the following November. When she hit the stage, it’s the most excited I’ve ever seen my daughter in her entire life. 

1 hour ago, cbfalcon said:

I bought tickets for my daughter and I to see Taylor Swift in a December for a show the following November. When she hit the stage, it’s the most excited I’ve ever seen my daughter in her entire life.

<Sniffs inappropriate joke bait and then decides to swim away.> 🪝

• Like 1

Ozzy/Motley Crue. 1984. Bark At The Moon/ Shout At The Devil tour. I got to the mall that had a Ticketmaster early. Clearview Mall. Stoned and drunk. First in line to get in. My friend Mike was the fastest and says” Bunny, when they open the door, I’m hauling ass up the backyard escalator and you block them. Do it and I got it!!! 

Security guards are about to open the door. They say no running!!! No running!!! They open the gates. Mike is gone, and I am la falling down on the ramp laughing blocking them. Second row baby!!!

Three months. Bra!!!

I kind of long for the days of when I was back in high school, having to camp out all night to be first in line. I remember Huey Lewis being so popular in the 80a that there was an 8 ticket limit per person. I had to take 2 friends with because we needed over 20. 

8 hours ago, MDC said:

One of my favorite bands from the 90s, Unwound, are playing their first shows in 20 years next year. I just bought tickets for March 16, 2023.

Hopefully I’m still alive then..

How about you? :cheers: 

Yeah I hope you’re still alive then. 

• Thanks 1