Sign in to follow this  
Ray_T

The Eagles Offense in Philly

I'm starting a thread on one of the more controversial offenses in the NFL.

it seems everyone I talk to has a different take on this offense and I find it to be an interesting topic.

first things first, I'd like to point out that because so many people have differing opinions on this I'd request that we refrain from ripping people too much for expressing an opinion.  I want all opinions out there and all the info I can get.

the first thing I'd like to point out: 

1) I do like the coach, Nick Sirianni.   I think he did good work in Indy and in the second half of last season he did a lot of good things for the offense.  He looks like a coach who actually adapted his gameplan to suit the talent he had.

2) The QB situation is.... unique.   Lots really love Hurts.  I do not.  I actually think Minshew is a better throwing QB.  Hurts is the better fantasy QB.   I do think Hurts has a shorter leash than what people are generally assuming. 

also worth noting, both Minshew and Strong (the third string qb) are former air raid QB's.  As Siranni has adapted to the talent in many aspects I am wondering if hes got a few plays that incorporate some air raid concepts into the offesne.  I know in Minshews rookie year, the coach did incorporate some air raid concepts into the offense while Minshew played.  I thought it worked out pretty well overall.

3) the Philly Receivers:    AJ Brown, Devonta Smith and Goedert.   three solid pass catchers.  I wouldnt be surprised if we see a 35-30-20 split among those 3 players with rheremaining 15% to be split among the remaining pass catchers.

4) the O line-  clearly one of the better ones in the NFL.  especially for run blocking but very good all around.  Lots to like here.

5) the run game looks good.  Sanders likely returns to the form he had a year ago now that he is healthy.  I dont see Gainwell, Scott or Huntley taking a lot of carries.  one of them could potentially vulture some TD's but the real run competition comes from Hurts. 

Thing about Hurts, if he doesnt perform with the improved WR and the good line he has to play behind, hes out of excuses as a QB.  if he starts slow, he could be on the hotseat and Minshew could be a sweet waiver wire darling in 2 QB and superflex leagues.  I've heard hes not throwing the ball that well so far this offseason, but I dont know that I would buy into that yet.  its way early to be drawing conclusions about that sort of thing.  Anything you hear right now is mostly unreliable.   the reports that matter is once we start seeing exhibition games.

I do think Hurts gets a fair shake to keep his job.   but I also believe the leash is shorter than it was last season.  if he cant get it done, he wont make it past the midpoint of the season.

I welcome other viewpoints.  just keep the comments civil please

I might consider drafting Eagles if they drop a round or two below their ADP, but the only one I might draft at their ADP is Goedert, and only because of the lack of consistent TE’s.

Too many unknowns to risk an early pick IMO.

• Like 1

Sanders has missed nine games the last two season, he’s shaky to me. 

I agree with the poster above, if Goedert falls into the double digit rounds I’m taking him.  

I think the A Brown will be the most targeted of the bunch, I think he will even surpass T Hill now with the Dolphins in half ppr points per game avg.  

I'm ok with taking Hurts.  He'll run and generate good fantasy numbers.  I think the Eagles will run the ball a lot and try to phase in more passing, but I think Hurts' limitations as a passer will create a ceiling on that.  Because of that, Brown and Smith aren't anything better than WR3's.  The backfield has too many RB's to take any as more than an RB3, with the possible upside that if Sanders stays healthy, he could be an RB2.  Goedert will still put up solid numbers for a TE.  While he has top 3 talent, Hurts won't maximize that.  But as @makindollaz said, the paucity of TE talent still warrants him being selected as a top 8 TE.  Because I don't take QB's early, the earliest that I'd take anyone from Philly is probably the 6th round.

If I had to throw numbers out there, I'd say that the Eagles have potential because they have a fairly easy schedule, so they could be productive.  Last year, Hurts threw the ball 432 times, but he was out for the Jets game and didn't play in Week 18, so I think he might throw about 100 more passes because I believe they are going to try and throw the ball more.  The thing is, I think his comp% & yards per attempt go down, because I don't think he's really all that good.  I think the increase in pass attempts leads to a decrease in rushing, so, I'd project...

Hurts with 530 attempts, 59.5% comp, so 315 completions.  With a drop to 7.0 ypa, I'd have him at 3700 yards, which is a bit higher than the team as a whole last year, and I'd say about 20 TD's.  He'll run for around 625 yards and 7 TD's.

I think Brown, Smith, and Goedert will all be in the 800 to 950 range in yards, could vary on who Hurts really connects with the best.  I think they all top out at around 70 receptions and about 5 TD's.  So, I'd say... each could be around 65 for 875 and 5.  That would leave about 120 receptions for 1000 yards and 5 TD's for everyone else.

That would put both Brown and Smith in the WR3 range and Goedert in the top 7.

For the RB's, I think that if Sander is healthy (which he won't be), he'd probably account for 1400 total yards and 10 TD's... so I'll put him at 1100 and 7.  I'll give him 25 receptions.  That should put him in the high RB3/low RB2 range.  I think every other RB contributes enough to make Sanders not a lock starter every week.

Hurts would be great to own at last years draft price.  Too expensive for me, but could be worth it if all goes well.

Id rather take a flyer on Lance or Tua late this year.

I thought this thread was going to provide some insights about the Eagles offense at home games versus away games. :lol:

It's hard to trust this offense. Sanders gets hurt a lot, Hurts, who knows what he is, but at least they play against not so great defenses in their division. 

6 hours ago, craftsman said:

It's hard to trust this offense. Sanders gets hurt a lot, Hurts, who knows what he is, but at least they play against not so great defenses in their division. 

Seafoam you didn’t give your thoughts about A Brown, and Goedert, America is waiting.  

Thank. 

34 minutes ago, weepaws said:

Seafoam you didn’t give your thoughts about A Brown, and Goedert, America is waiting.  

Thank. 

I don't get it. What does this even mean? Is this what you and your friend Jesus do here? 

Nick Sirianni is a huge wuestion mark in Philadelphia. I live here; the Eagles are my team but Nick Wasnt calling the plays in the second half of the season; he gave them up bc his offense sucked in the first half; they just pounded the out of the football and did what everyone already knew would work.

His offense to start the season was very bad. 

In a profession where ego can derail careers, Sirianni selflessly handed off play calling during the 2021 season to his offensive coordinator Shane Steichen. Earlier this spring, Steichen confirmed he'll be calling the offensive plays again in 2022.Jun 12, 2022

1 hour ago, Apollo Creed said:

In a profession where ego can derail careers, Sirianni selflessly handed off play calling during the 2021 season to his offensive coordinator Shane Steichen. Earlier this spring, Steichen confirmed he'll be calling the offensive plays again in 2022.Jun 12, 2022

Thats good news.  

I thought the Philly offense was better while he called the plays

1 hour ago, Ray_T said:

Thats good news.  

I thought the Philly offense was better while he called the plays

That's funny because wasn't Sirianni hired because of his play calling abilities & collaboration with coaches?  There's really only a few HC's who can call plays and coach the team at the same time, and be successful at it.

Now, I don't remember exactly when the hand off happened last year, but it had to be after the Saints game.  With that in mind, their schedule after that game was...

Giants, Jets, Washington, Giants, & Washington.  I'd have to think that anyone calling plays in those 5 games would have success.  No, I'm not counting the last week where the Eagles punted.

• Like 1

On 7/23/2022 at 10:59 AM, weepaws said:

Thank. 

Take it to the Geek Board, Please!

On 7/23/2022 at 10:59 AM, weepaws said:

Thank. 

3 hours ago, Baker Boy said:

Take it to the Geek Board, Please!

I’ll ask ff questions in here, now disappear. 

Ok, let's be honest here. The Eagles only beat 1 team with a winning record last year, the Saints (who were 9-8). It seems like every year for the last 5 or 6 years that everyone talks about the Eagles being the best in the East and a possible Super Bowl team. Who knows, maybe. But, the secondary problems they had last year are still there. The D-Line is suspect. And, Jalen Hurts is still a question mark (I hope not, because I just drafted him in a fantasy league). Unless Hurts improves and is consistent, I don't see the Eagles being any better than a .500 team, though that may be good enough to win the NFC East.

They are no superbowl team.   Lets be honest here.   

only reason they were a playoff team is because they were in the NFC East.

I do think the offense has made the right moves to yield some improvements but those improvements may be limited based on Hurts.   if they switch to Minshew at some point as I suspect may happen, this offense could do a lot better. (at least in terms of passing yards)

I like the O line of the Eagles.   and they will make a difference in both the run game and the pass game.

I think the Defense as you said is Questionable.  Especially the D line.

I expect the Giants will improve,  Washington acquired Wentz who I'm not thrilled with but I think hes better than what they had.... so they improve.  Dallas is likely taking a small step back.

so I think this team does the same but may be slightly better than last year.

but Lets be honest, if this team wants to win the division, Hurts needs to step up and be better at key times in the game and elevate his team.   so far  I have not seen this.   fantasy darling or not, if he starts 2-4 he could be looking at the bench.

I don't care so much about ADP, I base players' value based on who I have and what I need.  I like Goedert.  I'll take him, regardless of the round, if I have enough RB's, WR's, and a QB already on my roster and if Goedert is the best player on the board.  If that's the 7th round, so be it... 9th round, works for me.  Same with everyone else.  I won't take Hurts because I don't trust him to be the starter all year, and odds are, he's going in the first 5 rounds and I don't even take a QB that early, let alone one I don't trust.  As for the RB's and WR's, I'd take Brown and Smith as my WR4's, and the RB's as RB5's.  Whatever round those are, they are.  If they're off the board by then, I'm fine with that too.

Ok I hate to ask this question, would you take Goedert in first three rounds? Don’t understand why people continue to draft te before double digit rounds.  

12 hours ago, Apollo Creed said:

Looks like Gainwell is going to have a big role in this offense; buyers beware on Miles Sanders or expect a 50/50 split atleast

Sure does sound like it.  Either why Sanders, Gainwell, Scott to messy.  

57 minutes ago, Apollo Creed said:

Goedert is going to have a big year; Top 5

We know.