Sign in to follow this  
wiffleball

Tip Question

$2 PBRs. Unfriendly bartender. 2 beers. 

4.33 total. Tipped a buck. 

Usually in a case like that, I try to do a buck for each drink. If the tab starts getting over 40 or 50 bucks, then I do more of a percentage thing.

Thoughts? 

Yet, I'm impressed that I only had two beers. Except, I also had like four ginormous gabapentins. Frick I'm feeling fuzzy.

2 hours ago, wiffleball said:

Unfriendly bartender.

One fool on a stool.  One drink to a hand. 

Anything you wanna tell me, I got no time for.  Just order your drinks and make room for more.

25 minutes ago, BudBro said:

One fool on a stool.  One drink to a hand. 

Anything you wanna tell me, I got no time for.  Just order your drinks and make room for more.

How do you fit four gheys at a crowded bar with just one stool left??? 

Turn it over.

You usually tip 50% per PBR? 

why not order a better beer then?

Bartenders ain’t what they used to be. Most of them suck now. I don’t miss bars anymore. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Bartenders ain’t what they used to be. Most of them suck now. I don’t miss bars anymore. 

You're right about that. It is the corporatization of bars and restaurants. That's why I like dive bars. There's a few bartenders out there who still understand that pouring the drink is a side note. It's the conversation, the humor, the connection. Even if it's just 2 minutes

9 minutes ago, wiffleball said:

You're right about that. It is the corporatization of bars and restaurants. That's why I like five bars. There's a few bartenders out there who still understand that pouring the drink is a side note. It's the conversation, the humor, the connection. Even if it's just 2 minutes

👍

Not enough.  You'll need to go back and supplement the tip you gave.

Just like your mom, I give more than the tip. 

2 hours ago, porkbutt said:

here's a tip....see a dude drinking PBR...sit a minimum of 7 barstools away.

you know,  during happy hour it's $2 for a 16 oz draft. Which beats the s*** out of some  $9 blueberry ipa.

You can get a 6-pack of Coors Banquet for like 9 bucks and you don't need to tip the cashier on the way out.

2 minutes ago, nobody said:

You can get a 6-pack of Coors Banquet for like 9 bucks and you don't need to tip the cashier on the way out.

Yeah but then you have to drink a 6 pack of Coors Banquet.

• Haha 1

He's already drinking pbr.  Although in hipster douche circles, somehow pbr is better than Coors banquet.

5 minutes ago, nobody said:

He's already drinking pbr.  Although in hipster douche circles, somehow pbr is better than Coors banquet.

I don't know where you live, but that was like 5 years ago. PBR had a resurgence and distributors and bars started trying to call it a premium beer and little hipster douches with a premium prices for crap domestic beer.

That didn't last long. They moved on to what is it? White claw? And s*** like that?

And I'm fine with that. PBR isn't my favorite beer by a long shot. But I drink beer fast and in large quantities. 

So, as much as I like some very good beers? Two bucks for 16 oz? I'll take that all day long. Unless it's Bush or keystone light - caliber. 

8 minutes ago, nobody said:

Most American adjunct lagers taste the same anyway, it's all about style and image. Hipster PBRs capitalized on that.  You probably drink Coors Banquet because you saw Johnny Lawrence drinking them in Cobra Kai.

1 minute ago, wiffleball said:

I don't know where you live, but that was like 5 years ago. PBR had a resurgence and distributors and bars started trying to call it a premium beer and little hipster douches with a premium prices for crap domestic beer.

That didn't last long. They moved on to what is it? White claw? And s*** like that?

And I'm fine with that. PBR isn't my favorite beer by a long shot. But I drink beer fast and in large quantities. 

So, as much as I like some very good beers? Two bucks for 16 oz? I'll take that all day long. Unless it's Bush or keystone light - caliber. 

PBR was a hipster beer back when I used to go out in the early 00's.  But yeah I see the kids drink a lot of these white claws and sh!t now.

I'm a fancy man now so I pay upwards of $30 for a 4 pack.

3 minutes ago, vomit said:

Most American adjunct lagers taste the same anyway, it's all about style and image. Hipster PBRs capitalized on that.  You probably drink Coors Banquet because you saw Johnny Lawrence drinking them in Cobra Kai.

I usually drink longboard, but I was drinking Coors banquet long before cobra kai.  Johnny Lawrence probably picked up the habit because he saw me drinking them.

When paying cash (vs running a tab) I usually go by the same $1 per beer rule of thumb as well. 

3 minutes ago, DonS said:

When paying cash (vs running a tab) I usually go by the same $1 per beer rule of thumb as well. 

Right? I mean, the way I look at it, the bartender does just as much work if not more during happy hour then not. They shouldn't be punished for that. Which is why I generally don't do it on percentage basis in those circumstances.

But god, these bartenders are getting worse and worse at this place. Corporate won't even allow them to make certain drinks. They premix them in bottles. Only a matter of time before they go Vegas style with the regulated computer pours. 

And they just fired the one really good bartender that they had. Just found that out.

2 minutes ago, Sean Mooney said:

One dollar per round for me unless the numbers go up pretty high. 

If I'm ordering beers, it's a buck or two.  If I'm getting a fancy mixed drink, more.

2 minutes ago, Sean Mooney said:

One dollar per round for me unless the numbers go up pretty high. 

Wait, so let's say you have three people.  You order some froo-froo cocktail.  Your boyfriend orders a strawberry martini and the third person orders a vodka-soda.  You'd tip a buck for that?

Wrong thread probably, but..... what's with the recent (seems like it anyways) trend of parents bringing their kids into the bar area of a restaurant instead of the dining area.  I never brought my kids into the bar area or even to a bar.  Let the drunks be drunk without worrying if there are kids around after dropping the f bomb 4 times in one sentence.

Just now, nobody said:

Wait, so let's say you have three people.  You order some froo-froo cocktail.  Your boyfriend orders a strawberry martini and the third person orders a vodka-soda.  You'd tip a buck for that?

Unless 2 bucks falls out of his Yarmulke, then yeah I think that's what he said.

Just now, BufordT said:

Wrong thread probably, but..... what's with the recent (seems like it anyways) trend of parents bringing their kids into the bar area of a restaurant instead of the dining area.  I never brought my kids into the bar area or even to a bar.  Let the drunks be drunk without worrying if there are kids around after dropping the f bomb 4 times in one sentence.

Preach.  I was in an airport the other day and some couple walks up with a kid to sit at the bar.  The manager tells them it's against the law to have a kid sit at the bar, and they got all offended.  Meanwhile, there are tables everywhere.

Just now, BufordT said:

Yeah, no s*** right? I've seen that too. Hell, there are places that let kids sit at the bar. Which in most States is illegal.

I recently witnessed some Karen walking up to a couple guys because they were dropping the f-bomb and "she had children". Well here's a thought karen, don't bring you f****** kids to a bar.

Me, being me? They were gracious about it. Apologetic even. But since it was me? In one of my loudest voices said exactly that.

"Hey, here's a thought, don't bring your kids to a bar. And don't bring them to a strip club if you don't want them to see naked women. And don't bring them to sturgis. Or do you think the whole world should change because you're a breeder?"

Guys laughed & bought me a shot. Bartender smiled because I said exactly what she was thinking. Karen and her litter left shortly thereafter. 😁

8 minutes ago, vomit said:

If I'm ordering beers, it's a buck or two.  If I'm getting a fancy mixed drink, more.

I'm a pretty simple guy. Sure, on the very rare occasional I have an old fashioned or a manhattan had a really nice place. But I'm not that jackass that orders a bloody Mary or a lemon drop at 7:00 p.m. on a Friday night. Or a banana daiquiri. Ever. Even though that's a standing joke with some of my bartenders.

These days, I'm a PB&J guy. This particular bar? 6 bucks for a 16 oz PBR and a shot of either Jameson or Jim beam. Given that it's usually 450 just for the pbr? I can't afford not to do a $6 combo.

$1 per beer minimum, even if the bartender isn’t friendly. As long as he/she isn’t rude.

4 hours ago, nobody said:

I don't order mixed drinks at the bar. My wife usually doesn't either. If she, or I, would then it would change my tipping procedure. Also too, if we are there with other people we split checks. 

For example- if my wife and I went out with you and your boyfriend and you were ordering froo-froo cocktails and a Malibu Bay Breeze you guys are on your own. 

5 hours ago, wiffleball said:

I

These days, I'm a PB&J guy. This particular bar? 6 bucks for a 16 oz PBR and a shot of either Jameson or Jim beam. Given that it's usually 450 just for the pbr? I can't afford not to do a $6 combo.

You will if we elect Trump or Desantis into office.   FACE

• Thanks 1