Sign in to follow this  
edjr

Average rent for a 2 bedroom apt with 741 sq feet is $1950

Just now, Hawkeye21 said:

I can't imagine giving away that much money towards rent every month.

Mortgage for that is probably 5k

3 minutes ago, edjr said:

Mortgage for that is probably 5k

At least it's an investment you can get back.

4 hours ago, edjr said:

Where I live.

I just raised the rent from 1600 to 1750 on my tenants and I feel like an azzhole. 

I was not meant to be a businessman. I am too focking nice.

I could have sold the place and made 150k, but I was worried they wouldn't have a place to live. 

been renting from me for 3 plus years, never late and keep the place very clean. 

pshh, in Compton, you can grab this beauty for just $500k.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/815-W-156th-St-Compton-CA-90220/21005726_zpid/

11 hours ago, vomit said:

I haven't rented anything since the house I lived in during college.  My mortage has gone down for 20 years since I've lived here as I've refinanced every few years.  Taxes have gone up, but the total nut is $1000/mo less than it was when I bought this place in 2000.

You bought a house right after college? Impressive. You deal weed or something? 

I'm planning on renting the rest of my life. 

I live at a place with my girlfriend in an area where $500,000 gets you a small house on a small plot of land on an inconvenient road location, or a house that is bigger on a better road location but will turn into a money pit if you buy. We could buy a place in cash for $500k but we could also put down $500k and buy a place a nicer place for $700k  and have a mortgage and pay $20,000 a year for average property taxes in the area where we live. 

Or, we could continue to live in our apartment for $1750 a month, have zero maintenance fees, awesome management, a stellar pool (that we don't really use), great neighbors because for this rental property you need to make $85,000 a year to be considered to live here. All the people around here are awesome and conscious of the safety on the premises. 

Why should we put $650,000+ in a house and pay property taxes and maintenance on a home and lot when we can be investing those dollars in savings and investments?

We love where we are killing it financially. Stay out of debt, save and invest, and the world is open to us for doing what we want.

1 hour ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

You bought a house right after college? Impressive. You deal weed or something? 

Computer science degree, with a minor in finance.  I bought a condo after I got my first job for $111k.  Big baller.

6 minutes ago, vomit said:

Computer science degree, with a minor in finance.  I bought a condo after I got my first job for $111k.  Big baller.

Oh boy, a big baller. :rolleyes:

Get back to us when you become something. 

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, craftsman said:

Oh boy, a big baller. :rolleyes:

Get back to us when you become something. 

You didn't pick up on my sarcasm.

22 hours ago, edjr said:

Where I live.

I just raised the rent from 1600 to 1750 on my tenants and I feel like an azzhole. 

I was not meant to be a businessman. I am too focking nice.

I could have sold the place and made 150k, but I was worried they wouldn't have a place to live. 

been renting from me for 3 plus years, never late and keep the place very clean. 

Dang.  We have 3,200 sf in Indy with 4 BR, 4 bathrooms and a pool in a beautiful neighborhood and the mortgage is on $1900/mo

9 hours ago, Crestwood 2 said:

1 br downtown Chicago - 860 sq ft -$4200

San fran and Boston too

19 hours ago, Hawkeye21 said:

At least it's an investment you can get back.

An investment you get constantly charged for. Like I mentioned in my situation where I live. Property taxes alone for the houses around me cost what I pay in rent.

Just now, vomit said:

The pictures they took inside shows dirty dishes, trash, clutter.  If it is real then they are doing the worst job at selling it.  100% thought it had to be a spoof when I clicked on it. 

I realize slumlords buy these places and rent out to section 8 and don't bother fixing anything.  So perhaps that is a competitive market.   Seems crazy.

Just now, craftsman said:

An investment you get constantly charged for. Like I mentioned in my situation where I live. Property taxes alone for the houses around me cost what I pay in rent.

I live in a much different world than many of the geeks here it seems.  I couldn't imagine living in high end city communities where money doesn't go far.  I am sure many of you city folks couldn't imagine being out in the country on your own either.   But money goes a ways out here and you have space to do things and privacy.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

I live in a much different world than many of the geeks here it seems.  I couldn't imagine living in high end city communities where money doesn't go far.  I am sure many of you city folks couldn't imagine being out in the country on your own either.   But money goes a ways out here and you have space to do things and privacy.  

I would like to move to a cheaper area when I retire.  I think I would miss easy access to good and varied food options.  Also like living near good medical care, and I like going into the cities every once in a while.

Are you in the middle of south dakota or something?

9 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

Oh heck, if we moved to Waco, TX we would just buy a home in cash. Same for many other spots in the country. No question question about it. 

But we are where we are because of family and it's really important to my girlfriend. We don't actually live in the major city, but we are close enough. Around me, I would rather have my money in investments other than a home and giving it all to the city in property taxes. 

15 minutes ago, craftsman said:

I'd still rather own and once it's paid off all you pay is property tax.

10 hours ago, vomit said:

Where did you live between college and buying your condo? 

8 minutes ago, vomit said:

I would like to move to a cheaper area when I retire.  I think I would miss easy access to good and varied food options.  Also like living near good medical care, and I like going into the cities every once in a while.

Living outside of a smaller city isn't bad.  You still get some decent food and shopping options within a half hour drive.  It almost takes that long to drive a couple miles in a large city so it's close to the same.

5 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

I'd still rather own and once it's paid off all you pay is property tax.

You don't have to pay for when your water heater goes out? Or when you need a new roof? Or when there is mold in your crawlspace? Or on insurance in case your basement gets flooded? Or when you have troubles with your appliances? Or if you have troubles with critters in your walls? Or if you need new gutters? Or if you need to get your central air fixed? Or if you plumbing issues? Or the million other things that come up over the years?

I would rather not have to pay for those things and have the $650,000 working for me in other ways.

Just now, vomit said:

WNY but out in the country outside of a small town.  It is about 4 miles into town.  A mile basically = 1 minute.   My neighbors are I don't know ... a third of a mile in each direction on the same side of the road.  

South Dakota would probably be brown and ugly.   Lush bright green out here all spring and sunmer.  High 70s low 80s each day. 

Medical care? Like what do you mean a hospital? Or what here? I don't plan on getting hurt all the time.  Buffalo is a 40 minute drive, Roswell is a great cancer center.    Wouldn't it take some of you guys 40 minutes just to get downtown? 

2 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Where did you live between college and buying your condo? 

I moved back in with my folks, but I was living in a corporate apartment for 2 months.  After that was done, I started looking for a place of my own and bought something.  Back then they were giving mortgages to anyone with nothing down.

1 minute ago, craftsman said:

You don't have to pay for when your water heater goes out? Or when you need a new roof? Or when there is mold in your crawlspace? Or on insurance in case your basement gets flooded? Or when you have troubles with your appliances? Or if you have troubles with critters in your walls? Or if you need new gutters? Or if you need to get your central air fixed? Or if you plumbing issues? Or the million other things that come up over the years?

I would rather not have to pay for those things and have the $650,000 working for me in other ways.

I do have to pay for that and I always know it gets done right away and properly.  I don't always trust who a landlord is going to hire.  My sister in law had to wait well over a week for her landlord to get her AC fixed this summer.

1 minute ago, vomit said:

I moved back in with my folks, but I was living in a corporate apartment for 2 months.  After that was done, I started looking for a place of my own and bought something.  Back then they were giving mortgages to anyone with nothing down.

So your claim that you never paid rent after college is a bit misleading. Glad we cleared it up. 

Thats another thing I wouldn't be able to stomach in cities.  Commutes would suck unless you found a job real close.  Spending an hour on thr road just to go 10 miles has to suck and seems like a waste of time.  

Just now, Hardcore troubadour said:

So your claim that you never paid rent after college is a bit misleading. Glad we cleared it up. 

My parents didn't charge me rent.  My employer paid for my corp apt.  I never paid rent since I moved out of my college house

2 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

WNY but out in the country outside of a small town.  It is about 4 miles into town.  A mile basically = 1 minute.   My neighbors are I don't know ... a third of a mile in each direction on the same side of the road.  

South Dakota would probably be brown and ugly.   Lush bright green out here all spring and sunmer.  High 70s low 80s each day. 

Medical care? Like what do you mean a hospital? Or what here? I don't plan on getting hurt all the time.  Buffalo is a 40 minute drive, Roswell is a great cancer center.    Wouldn't it take some of you guys 40 minutes just to get downtown? 

I think people who live in the city think everyone who lives in the country is in the middle of no where.  There places like that but a lot of people live within 20-30 minutes to any major necessities. 

Just now, listen2me 23 said:

Thats another thing I wouldn't be able to stomach in cities.  Commutes would suck unless you found a job real close.  Spending an hour on thr road just to go 10 miles has to suck and seems like a waste of time.  

Commuting is over for most desk jobs now.  Pandemic.

1 minute ago, vomit said:

My parents didn't charge me rent.  My employer paid for my corp apt.  I never paid rent since I moved out of my college house

Same here.  Once I was out of college I lived with my parents for a year and then bought my first house.

Just now, vomit said:

Commuting is over for most desk jobs now.  Pandemic.

Thats true.  But even going into a city like San Fran, Houston, NYC, Philly to do something....the drive just to get where you want to go has to be miserable.  Maybe it isn't, I don't know.  

There isn't endless food options here all in one spot.  But I could drive 20 minutes in any direction and find something I want.  I don't eat out all the time so it really isn't that much of a concern.  But it probably takes me the same time to get to a restaurant Id like to try as it would you getting downtown to a restaurant.   Maybe less.  There is no traffic out here.  If you hit a stop light you get mad and the switch from red to green in 30 seconds.   

30 year mortgage on a 350k house with 20 pct down, good interest rate. Monthly nut, mort, taxes, insurance around 2500. Keeping the taxes the same over the 30 years(not happening) you will pay 900k before you pay it off. Never mind upkeep and utilities. And your down payment at the start of the thirty years. So we are over a million. Anyone still think you’re getting all that money back at the end?  A house isn’t the investment it once was and renting in some places is actually the smart move, money wise. Putting down roots is the reason you do it. 

7 minutes ago, vomit said:

Yeah I know. Your claim was misleading to make you look better. That is all