Sign in to follow this  
jrokh

DK Metcalf signs Big Contract Extension

3 years 72 million dollar extension. 58.2 guaranteed. 30 million signing bonus- highest ever for a wr.

But who will throw him the ball?

2 minutes ago, jrokh said:

But who will throw him the ball?

Drew Lock or Geno Smith for the first year, most likely.

6 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Drew Lock or Geno Smith for the first year, most likely.

I figure Lock rolls out as the starting QB but thats by no means a Lock (pardon the pun)

if Lock cant beat out Geno for the starting job he is probably a career backup.   if he wins, he has the chance to be more.  

I don’t think he’s worthy.  

6 hours ago, JagFan said:

Everything I’ve read lately says Geno is the QB1 right now.

and if he rolls out, thats the end of Lock as a starter.   you dont deserve to start if you cant beat out Geno.

Lock being in a tight race to be the number one Qb, and the other Qb is Geno, that should be a sign that you need a day job.  

Yikes not worth it.  Had a terrible year last year. The year before had a great year till the very end of the season where you needed him in the playoffs.  The writing was on the wall a WR #2 at best

I am not a fan of tanking any year you don't think you have a chance.  But the Seahawks may be down right terrible and in a very tough division.    What is 3 years going to get you?  They won't even have an established QB by year 3.  Seahawks are a mess.  One of the worst teams in the league this year with or without Metcalf.

37 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

I am not a fan of tanking any year you don't think you have a chance.  But the Seahawks may be down right terrible and in a very tough division.    What is 3 years going to get you?  They won't even have an established QB by year 3.  Seahawks are a mess.  One of the worst teams in the league this year with or without Metcalf.

Well, it is 3 more after this one.  Not all that bad.  If they blow and bring in a young QB next year, they'll still have him for 3 years.  Not terrible.  It also guarantees that both he and Lockett are there through the 2025 season.  Now, is that a good thing or bad?  If you're going to have a young QB and you give him 2 solid weapons on Day 1, I think your chances of success are much better than if you have a situation like the Jags, Bears, and Jets with their young QB's.

Just now, TBayXXXVII said:

Well, it is 3 more after this one.  Not all that bad.  If they blow and bring in a young QB next year, they'll still have him for 3 years.  Not terrible.  It also guarantees that both he and Lockett are there through the 2025 season.  Now, is that a good thing or bad?  If you're going to have a young QB and you give him 2 solid weapons on Day 1, I think your chances of success are much better than if you have a situation like the Jags, Bears, and Jets with their young QB's.

I suppose.  But they are a mess.  Do they have any good young talent?  They gave 2 1sts away for a box safety.  Lockett will be 30 in September.  By 2025 he is 33 years old.  

Metcalf is surely a weapon.   But he had like 970 yards last year in 17 games.  For such a big play guy he avg 12.9 a catch.  

I too would rather start off my young QB with some weapons.  But 1st they need to be in position to draft a guy they believe in (who knows how next draft shakes out they could pick 7th and totally miss thr boat) And then said QB needs to be good by year 2 or 3 just to sniff a piece of these guys.  Unless of course Metcalf just loves losing in Seattle and re ups again.  

Lots of ifs.  

6 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

I suppose.  But they are a mess.  Do they have any good young talent?  They gave 2 1sts away for a box safety.  Lockett will be 30 in September.  By 2025 he is 33 years old.  

Metcalf is surely a weapon.   But he had like 970 yards last year in 17 games.  For such a big play guy he avg 12.9 a catch.  

I too would rather start off my young QB with some weapons.  But 1st they need to be in position to draft a guy they believe in (who knows how next draft shakes out they could pick 7th and totally miss thr boat) And then said QB needs to be good by year 2 or 3 just to sniff a piece of these guys.  Unless of course Metcalf just loves losing in Seattle and re ups again.  

Lots of ifs.  

I don't really disagree, but they already gave Lockett the deal, so it's kind of dead money.  Even if they cut him, they're going to have to take a cap hit.  On top of that, Lockett had pretty good numbers by years end and that's including 3 games with Geno Smith.  I think the Seahawks realized that the last half of 2021 and 2022 was the new Russell Wilson, that's why they traded him and didn't extend him.  Maybe they saw that he wasn't able to maximize the talent they had.

I'm guessing that they're playing the odds.  They traded Wilson knowing who was in the draft this year, and chose not to take a QB.  They did take 2 offensive lineman in the first 3 rounds.  So, they're building their line through the draft and now locking up the WR's.  They may also be doubling down on maybe thinking Wilson is done, because they get the Broncos 1st round pick next year.  So, with 2 first round picks, that may be enough to get them in position to get their guy.  No, we don't know how these kids are going to do, but I'd like to think that they have a much better feel than we do.  From what I recall, the Bama kids and Ohio State kid are likely to be the top 2 guys next year and probably the top 2 picks overall.

Every year, everyone is playing on "ifs" when the sign incoming free agents and make draft picks.  They may be right, they may be wrong, but I think they're a lot better off keeping him then risk losing him after the season.

15 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I don't really disagree, but they already gave Lockett the deal, so it's kind of dead money.  Even if they cut him, they're going to have to take a cap hit.  On top of that, Lockett had pretty good numbers by years end and that's including 3 games with Geno Smith.  I think the Seahawks realized that the last half of 2021 and 2022 was the new Russell Wilson, that's why they traded him and didn't extend him.  Maybe they saw that he wasn't able to maximize the talent they had.

I'm guessing that they're playing the odds.  They traded Wilson knowing who was in the draft this year, and chose not to take a QB.  They did take 2 offensive lineman in the first 3 rounds.  So, they're building their line through the draft and now locking up the WR's.  They may also be doubling down on maybe thinking Wilson is done, because they get the Broncos 1st round pick next year.  So, with 2 first round picks, that may be enough to get them in position to get their guy.  No, we don't know how these kids are going to do, but I'd like to think that they have a much better feel than we do.  From what I recall, the Bama kids and Ohio State kid are likely to be the top 2 guys next year and probably the top 2 picks overall.

Every year, everyone is playing on "ifs" when the sign incoming free agents and make draft picks.  They may be right, they may be wrong, but I think they're a lot better off keeping him then risk losing him after the season.

It is a good class of QBs.  Although I never have total faith in Bama or Ohio St QBs.  But it is a strong QB draft at least on paper right now.  A lot happens each year though. 

I think they just should have tried to trade him (maybe they did) seeing what other guys went for.  

I just think it is tough to bank on "next year we will grab our QB".  What if Geno plays ok and they are the 7th worst team? And 3 or 4 before them need QBs and take QBs? 

What if DK tears an ACL in 2024.  

A lot can happen.  I just think they are in supreme position to rebuild.  At quick glance they have been drafting bad.  Well 2021 they had only 3 picks.  I just don't think they have a good roster and they will be changing coaches shortly you would imagine.  

1 hour ago, listen2me 23 said:

It is a good class of QBs.  Although I never have total faith in Bama or Ohio St QBs.  But it is a strong QB draft at least on paper right now.  A lot happens each year though. 

I think they just should have tried to trade him (maybe they did) seeing what other guys went for.  

I just think it is tough to bank on "next year we will grab our QB".  What if Geno plays ok and they are the 7th worst team? And 3 or 4 before them need QBs and take QBs? 

What if DK tears an ACL in 2024.  

A lot can happen.  I just think they are in supreme position to rebuild.  At quick glance they have been drafting bad.  Well 2021 they had only 3 picks.  I just don't think they have a good roster and they will be changing coaches shortly you would imagine.  

Yeah, I am willing to bet they did try to trade him... it's probably why the re-signed him.  They probably figured that they get nothing after the season, so just pay the money now, when they have it... because they dumped Wilson's salary, and he'll still be 27 at the end of this deal.  Bring in a rookie and who knows, maybe next year and the year after he has big years and they can trade him then.  Or, just give him another extension.  I think we'll have a better idea after their next 2 drafts.  If they spend early picks on WR's in the next 2 years, I think Lockett is gone a year earlier than Metcalf and them him the following year (if they hit on those WR's).

Assuming you're correct on the rebuild, they still need a name for the fans to cling to.  Metcalf gives them that.

I agree with pretty much everything you are saying.  

Switching back to thr contract and player.  I am not saying Metcalf isn't a huge talent.  But it is interesting how much better his contract is than others this year.  

Metcalf got the most guarenteed money ever by a WR and only had to sign to 3 years.  His yearly avg is about on par.  But he also has no workout bonus or incentives in it.

I may take all 3 over DK.  Deebo, Terry, and AJ Brown.  Yet Metcalf from what I read came away with the best contract.  I read somewhere Brown Deebo and DK all have the same agent.  Godwin as well.  That guy controlled the market.  Which absolutely got out of control this year for WR.  

Not worthy of that contract.  

37 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

I agree with pretty much everything you are saying.  

Switching back to thr contract and player.  I am not saying Metcalf isn't a huge talent.  But it is interesting how much better his contract is than others this year.  

Metcalf got the most guarenteed money ever by a WR and only had to sign to 3 years.  His yearly avg is about on par.  But he also has no workout bonus or incentives in it.

I may take all 3 over DK.  Deebo, Terry, and AJ Brown.  Yet Metcalf from what I read came away with the best contract.  I read somewhere Brown Deebo and DK all have the same agent.  Godwin as well.  That guy controlled the market.  Which absolutely got out of control this year for WR.  

Yeah, I don't disagree... it's why I said in my first post, just I'm glad we got Godwin for what we did.  I don't care if people agree with me or not, but Godwin is a better receiver than Metcalf and the Bucs got him for a lot less.  I do think they overpaid, but they probably end up saving money in the long run because if his numbers drop again, because of the QB situation, he leaves or gets tagged.  So, either they get him for the same cash, but at 1 year, or lose him for nothing.  Or if they do re-sign him, it might cost even more next year.

12 minutes ago, Skinny_Bastard said:

Terrible signing. 

yeah, I dont agree with spending that much cash on a WR when you have no QB to throw him the ball. 

Unless they believe in Lock (which is possible... he did flash a bit in Denver before getting hurt his last year as a starter)

but if he doesnt produce with Lock at QB, then you have a WR on a huge contract who didnt produce in his last year.   Suddenly nobody wants the contract or the player and it hangs like an albatross around the neck of the team.

I suppose if they draft someone next year maybe this plan works out still.   hard to say for sure.

Awful move , I don’t see how Metcalf will play up to it. N