Sign in to follow this  
Fumbleweed

**Look-Alike Players 2022: Joe Burrow vs. Jalen Hurts**

Burrow or Hurts in a redraft?   

14 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you choose first in a redraft?

• Joe Burrow
    • Jalen Hurts

t's time for another summer of Look-Alike Player threads...if you're new to the Board, every few days during the summer, I will try to post a thread that lists two players who are very close in value in redraft situations. Simply vote for the player you feel should be drafted first and then add comments about your selection if you would like.

This is non-PPR for Look-Alike matchups that involve RBs, WRs, or TEs. Just standard point for every 10 yards and 6 for TDs.

The fourth Look-Alike Matchup for this summer is: Joe Burrow vs. Jalen Hurts. Two third-year QBs coming off break-out fantasy seasons. The match-up is also one that will be detailed in an upcoming article that I wrote. 

Who should be picked first? You decide! 

Burrow. 

I would take Burrow.

The only reason to consider Hurts is because of his expected rushing numbers. Those will be highly dependent on his rushing TDs, which can be very streaky for a QB.

Also, an undersized running QB, big injury risk

I would also take Burrow.    With Hurts there is the chance he doesnt even finish the year as the starter.

hes a great fantasy QB but as an actual QB hes mediocre.

dude needs to win games.    and if the team starts 2-4 or 2-5 I could see the team going with Minshew or possibly Strong.

I don’t see a look alike with these two, Burrow is without question the Bengals Qb going forward, can’t say the same about Hurts.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, weepaws said:

I don’t see a look alike with these two, Burrow is without question the Bengals Qb going forward, can’t say the same about Hurts.  

yeah, they dont really look that much alike.   Burrow can run but thats not really his game.   hes a thrower with running ability.   Hurts is a runner who has some throwing ability.

There is a difference and that difference is in the ability to throw the football where I'd argue Burrow can do far better than Hurts will ever be able to do.   The only thing remotely similar is the number of fantasy points and I dont see Hurts getting much better than what he is now, but Burrow is just beginning to touch his potential.  Hes gonna be a real good player for a long time.

In a redraft I'll take the rushing upside of Hurts.  Addition of AJ Brown is going to be big.  I see a slight regression occurring for the Bengal offense, especially passing-wise.  I can see them relying on Mixon a bit more.  Not to say Burrow's not a QB1, because he is, but Hurts is going to see 6+ extra points a week just on the rushing alone.

Hurts rushing does indeed help, and I agree about A Brown, I think he’s going to be a big asset, but I think Burrow is more solid and the true starting Qb of the Bengals, I think Minshew can be called on anytime if the Eagles start out poorly. 

Just now, weepaws said:

Hurts rushing does indeed help, and I agree about A Brown, I think he’s going to be a big asset, but I think Burrow is more solid and the true starting Qb of the Bengals, I think Minshew can be called on anytime if the Eagles start out poorly. 

Understood, but why would the Eagles perform any worse than they did last season?  They got better with the addition of Brown.  

Just now, darin3 said:

Understood, but why would the Eagles perform any worse than they did last season?  They got better with the addition of Brown.  

It’s the NFL.  And I didn’t say they would, I said if they do.  

3 minutes ago, weepaws said:

It’s the NFL.  And I didn’t say they would, I said if they do.  

Fair enough.  I think Hurts' rushing upside outweighs the potential for the Eagles to maybe get off to a bad start and them switching to Minshew.  

I mean, it's a good debate re: these two QBs.  Both could be fantastic (again) fantasy-wise.

1 minute ago, darin3 said:

If Hurts starts the 2022 season the way he ended the 2021 season, he'll probably be on a short leash.

The only reason Hurts was the Eagles' QB all season last year was because he started hot, with two 300+ passing days and another game over 250 in the first four weeks.  Hurts exceeded 250 yards passing one (1) time in the remaining 11 games he played.  Hurts also had 9 of his 16 passing TDs in the first four weeks.

They didn't get better with the addition of Brown if their QB can't get him the ball, so that's going to be an important factor in Hurts remaining the starting QB this season.

I think Burrow is going to be fantastic again, Hurts with the addition of A Brown and his running helps out a lot.  

But Burrow if healthy is the  Bengals  starter.  Not to sure about Hurts. 

Where taking ff , but the head coach of the Eagles wants to see better results in the passing game, that’s why they paid for A Brown, I think his ability and D Smith is very good should be a help, bit of Hurts doesn’t show it early, Minshew might just be called upon.  

2 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

If Hurts starts the 2022 season the way he ended the 2021 season, he'll probably be on a short leash.

this.

and when he was out Minshew played really well.  

keep in mind we draft based on projected fantasy points, but coaches dont care about fantasy points.  they care about wins and losses.

I think if Hurts gets injured or doesnt win many games early, Minshew could well be in there.   In fact, I'm predicting that he will likely start at some point this year.

another thing to just be aware of.... both the backups in Philly are former air raid QB's.     I dont know if thats because there is a plan to move to this style of offense or if its just coincidence.  but if they are going air raid,  Minshew is a better fit for that style of offense and so is Strong.

maybe Im imagining a conspiracy where there isnt one, but I dont think Hurts job is as secure as everyone thinks it is.

Thats all I'm saying.

Easily Burrow.  I know Hurts is going to run more and may even outscore Burrow, but I see a definite scenario where Hurts either gets injured because of the running or benched because he's not actually a good QB and the team is losing.

The Eagles' first 6 games (heading into their Week 7 bye), are @ Detroit, vs Minnesota, @ Washington, vs Jacksonville, @ Arizona, and vs Dallas.  That's not a murderer's row of opponents, but I can see them losing 4 (Minny, Washington, AZ, and Dallas).  If Detroit actually improves and Lawrence isn't a bust, the Eagles could lose those two as well.  No, I don't think those games will be blowouts by any stretch because aside from Hurts, the Eagles have a solid team around him, but I think all 6 could present a situation where Hurts needs to throw the Eagles to a win and I don't see that happening more times than not.  I think 2-4 heading into the bye is a legit outcome.  Even the rest of their schedule isn't insane, but out of the bye week, they have Pittsburgh, @ Houston, vs Washington, @ Indy, and vs Green Bay.  I see 2-3 possible there with losses to Pittsburgh, Indy, & Green Bay.  Looking at 4-7 with 6 to go, I can see a scenario where Hurts is benched as we head into the fantasy playoffs in Week 15 because the Eagles might be 5-9 at that point and the season over.