Sign in to follow this  
JustinCharge

Batgirl film will not see the light of day after shooting complete for $100ish million

A latina woman was Batgirl in this film.  Test screenings went so poorly that they are actually shelving the film, never to be released.

‘Irredeemable’ ‘Batgirl’ movie gets ‘shelved’ by Warner Bros. despite $70M price tag: source

By 

Johnny Oleksinski

August 2, 2022 3:20pm 

Updated

Holy millions down the drain, Batman! 

The DC Comics film “Batgirl” will be completely “shelved” by Warner Bros., a top Hollywood source told The Post. 

That means it won’t hit theaters or the streaming service HBO Max. Fans will not see it.

The reportedly $70 million movie (the source said the budget was actually more than $100 million), which was doing test screenings for audiences in anticipation of a late 2022 debut, would rank among the most expensive cinematic castoffs ever.  

Those tests were said to be so poorly received by moviegoers that the studio decided to cut its losses and run, for the sake of the brand’s future. It’s a DC disaster.

“They think an unspeakable ‘Batgirl’ is going to be irredeemable,” the source said.  

The Post has reached out to Warner Bros. for comment.

It’s been a monthslong walk of shame for the movie. “Batgirl,” directed by Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah (“Bad Boys for Life”), received not a single mention at DC’s Comic-Con panel in San Diego in July — an unusual move that raised industry eyebrows. The much-publicized event, after all, is designed to boost exposure for forthcoming projects just like this one.

“Batgirl,” which stars Leslie Grace (“In the Heights”) in the title role, alongside J.K. Simmons, Michael Keaton and Brendan Fraser, was originally planned for an HBO Max release. The Puck newsletter reported in April that WB’s then-chair, Toby Emmerich, was considering a theatrical run for the film too. 

To be fair, most movies set to be released after this year won't see the light of day since we'll be in a nuclear winter.

• Haha 8

46 minutes ago, JustinCharge said:

A latina woman was Batgirl in this film.  

Nobody cares except the incels who still watch superhero movies.

So, She-Hulk is a disaster, that one with Scarlett Johansson was apparently a disaster, this is a disaster, Electra was a disaster, can we maybe get the f****** hint already?  

Ps, not sure what the numbers are on wonder woman.

Tell you what, let's not do a remake of fried Green tomatoes with an all-male cast. Let's not even attempt The brotherhood of the traveling pants.

And let's not have women be f****** superheroes. Cuz apparently they suck at it. Even women don't want to see these movies.

Best movie was thelma & louise. Because they died in the end. Only 136 minutes too late.

9 minutes ago, MDC said:

Nobody cares except the incels who still watch superhero movies.

Pigs are flying. 

As per usual JustinCharge gets a news story wrong.

Here are the real facts:

- The film was budgeted at 70 million. It got up to 90 million because of COVID protocols and delays. Discovery (the news owners of Warner Brothers) are in full slashing mode and cutting everything. They want films to be tentpole pictures of 90 million + and this film was scaled for HBO Max. They decided they didn't want to do reshoots and they didn't want to release it in theaters.

- This is yet another example of Discovery just cutting everything including all scripted entertainment for HBO Max, and all the original programming at the Turner Nets. They are basically just going to focus on their sports contracts and unscripted programming while rolling HBO Max into their Discovery+ subscription service.

- They also dumbed Scoob! Holiday Haunt which was a sequel to their 2020 animated Scooby Doo movie. Maybe Scooby was going to be Latina?

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Sean Mooney said:

As per usual JustinCharge gets a news story wrong.

Here are the real facts:

- The film was budgeted at 70 million. It got up to 90 million because of COVID protocols and delays. Discovery (the news owners of Warner Brothers) are in full slashing mode and cutting everything. They want films to be tentpole pictures of 90 million + and this film was scaled for HBO Max. They decided they didn't want to do reshoots and they didn't want to release it in theaters.

- This is yet another example of Discovery just cutting everything including all scripted entertainment for HBO Max, and all the original programming at the Turner Nets. They are basically just going to focus on their sports contracts and unscripted programming while rolling HBO Max into their Discovery+ subscription service.

- They also dumbed Scoob! Holiday Haunt which was a sequel to their 2020 animated Scooby Doo movie. Maybe Scooby was going to be Latina?

Nobody but an incel that still watches superhero movies would care enough to look that up. And yeah, 90 million is waaaaay off from 100. 🤡

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Nobody but an incel that still watches superhero movies would care enough to look that up. And yeah, 90 million is waaaaay off from 100. 🤡

I was on the Variety website literally before I clicked over here champ. Some of us read lots of things online not just the inane ramblings of right wing kooks, and whatever drivel you type out.

Also, apparently you don't read- they budgeted the movie at 70 million. An extra 20 million got added on once they had to deal with COVID protocols and everything. So just to recap for you- the film, was budgeted before COVID (they've been working on it for like 5 years in various forms), then they started adding more money on with delays. 70 million is quite a bit far away from 100 million.

I also notice you didn't comment on the other things. Again- you pick one thing to try and take a win but all you do is the GC posting equivalent of the butt fumble. 

• Like 3

I was on the Variety website literally before I clicked over here champ. Some of us read lots of things online not just the inane ramblings of right wing kooks, and whatever drivel you type out.

Also, apparently you don't read- they budgeted the movie at 70 million. An extra 20 million got added on once they had to deal with COVID protocols and everything. So just to recap for you- the film, was budgeted before COVID (they've been working on it for like 5 years in various forms), then they started adding more money on with delays. 70 million is quite a bit far away from 100 million.

I also notice you didn't comment on the other things. Again- you pick one thing to try and take a win but all you do is the GC posting equivalent of the butt fumble. 

So the 20 million doesn't count. Lol. 🤡

8 minutes ago, wiffleball said:

So, She-Hulk is a disaster, that one with Scarlett Johansson was apparently a disaster, this is a disaster, Electra was a disaster, can we maybe get the f****** hint already?  

Marvel had been on a roll movie after movie, until they hit mud with Black Panther, Captain Marvel, Black Widow. Totally sh!t movies. Their success went hit or miss around that time. At least they stuck the landing with the Avengers conclusion. Then they went apparently woke with Shang-Chi, Eternals, Doctor Strange, and apparently went monkey pox gay with Thor Love and Thunder. 

Um, Marvel is in trouble. I used to really enjoy these movies. I got a number of them downloaded to be watched on my computer, and I might need to be Clockwork Oranged to watch the past few that have been released. Black Widow was so atrocious, I can't get motivated to watch the next movie in the progression. 

Oh, all reports say Wonder Woman 2 was ass 

Only an Incel that watches super hero movies still would be on the Variety website. 

Oh yeah, I totally forgot about Captain marvel. Jesus, what an abortion. I mean, unplanned pregnancy termination. I mean I didn't watch it. But if you put a gun in my head I would rather watch Green Lantern 10 times before that.

Oh wait! Green Latin!

An Earth friendly bi  Latino X!

4 minutes ago, wiffleball said:

Well if it's a Latino woman over the age of 26 they should have called it fat girl.

I Papi

5 minutes ago, phillybear said:

Marvel had been on a roll movie after movie, until they hit mud with Black Panther, Captain Marvel, Black Widow. Totally sh!t movies. Their success went hit or miss around that time. At least they stuck the landing with the Avengers conclusion. Then they went apparently woke with Shang-Chi, Eternals, Doctor Strange, and apparently went monkey pox gay with Thor Love and Thunder. 

Um, Marvel is in trouble. I used to really enjoy these movies. I got a number of them downloaded to be watched on my computer, and I might need to be Clockwork Oranged to watch the past few that have been released. Black Widow was so atrocious, I can't get motivated to watch the next movie in the progression. 

Shang Chi and Black Panther weren’t bad. I enjoyed them, though they weren’t the best marvel movies at all. Eternals, Black Widow, Dr Strange 2, and Thor: Love & Thunder we’re pretty bad. Ms Marvel tv show on Disney+ was effin horrible. People praised that show so much and it even has a 97-98% on rotten tomatoes but trust me it was terrible. 

Marvel's biggest problem is they built everything up so well leading into Endgame/Infinity War. After that this new phase just has not been compelling in any way and the whole "multiverse" stuff is just kinda boring. Pair that with the pandemic knocking their release schedule all out of whack and the over reliance on TV shows on Disney+ to fill in gaps and it is getting to be too much to keep up with. 

The only film to survive this phase is the Spider-Man movie and that was only really because of how much it relied on fan service. 

16 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

So the 20 million doesn't count. Lol. 🤡

I don't know how else to explain it to you what happened. I can only assume you are too dumb to understand. 

15 minutes ago, phillybear said:

That movie was a laughable dumpster fire. Not sure what they were drinking and/or smoking when they pushed that through the production process but it was awful. 

15 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Only an Incel that watches super hero movies still would be on the Variety website. 

Do you think this is some wicked burn?

And I mean- I like to read what is happening with TV shows and movies I like....I guess that would be weird to someone who is in their echo chamber all the time. 

Just now, Sean Mooney said:

I don't know how else to explain it to you what happened. I can only assume you are too dumb to understand. 

That movie was a laughable dumpster fire. Not sure what they were drinking and/or smoking when they pushed that through the production process but it was awful. 

Do you think this is some wicked burn?

And I mean- I like to read what is happening with TV shows and movies I like....I guess that would be weird to someone who is in their echo chamber all the time. 

Who’s your favorite? Spider-Man ? The Hulk? My 5 year old is into Batman right now. He’ll probably grow out of it soon though. He’s a doer. 

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, wiffleball said:

Wandavision was really good.

11 minutes ago, Sean Mooney said:

Marvel's biggest problem is they built everything up so well leading into Endgame/Infinity War. After that this new phase just has not been compelling in any way and the whole "multiverse" stuff is just kinda boring. Pair that with the pandemic knocking their release schedule all out of whack and the over reliance on TV shows on Disney+ to fill in gaps and it is getting to be too much to keep up with. 

The only film to survive this phase is the Spider-Man movie and that was only really because of how much it relied on fan service. 

I have liked every movie in the current phase except the spiderman movie and black widow. 

Dr strange 2 was my favorite out of the group but I like how both eternals and thor tried to go in different directions when compared to previous marvel movies. 

While we are airing grievances, I hated that third reboot Spiderman movie with Michael Keaton, Homecoming. Keaton was fine, but the movie was not good. Far From Home was better.

I really wanted to like Elektra. Not good in the Ben Affleck Daredevil movie. Jennifer Garner was bad in her stand alone movie. Then, in the midst of 3 brilliant Daredevil seasons of Marvel Netflix, I mean Charlie Cox and Vincent D'Onofrio were the nuts, sneak in some Jon Bernthal as Punisher, but they also made the Elektra character suck. How is this possible? 

17 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Who’s your favorite? Spider-Man ? The Hulk? My 5 year old is into Batman right now. He’ll probably grow out of it soon though. He’s a doer. 

Why does it trigger you so much that someone might like a superhero movie? I read a few Batman comics when I was a kid but the most I've ever read comic wise was The Walking Dead.

Don't have a favorite superhero. I just like movies so I watch a lot of them. I don't limit myself to one thing

I have no idea why somebody would be in this thread making excuses for this move. The movie is focking terrible, it's that simple.

DC movies are all pretty terrible, I'm really curious now how bad this one truly is...

Nobody is making excuses for the move. WB/Discovery is cutting money everywhere and does not want to spend more money on the film to fix it or make it more suited for a theatrical film. 

Nobody is making excuses for the move. WB/Discovery is cutting money everywhere and does not want to spend more money on the film to fix it or make it more suited for a theatrical film. 

Because it's terrible. HTH

3 minutes ago, Reality said:

No, it’s because of Covid! 

:dunno:I dunno why it sucked. I didn't see it. I can only guess. Scrapping it rather than release it tells a story in itself.

8 minutes ago, Reality said:

The New York Post is the only one- as of now- saying the film was terrible. 

But apparently you saw it-  so tell us more specifics about the film. 

5 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

No, it’s because of Covid! 

Batgirl was budgeted at around $80 million, with costs rising to nearly $90 million due to COVID-19 protocols. I

From The Hollywood Reporter- Eat a d!ck. 

Also, explain why they got rid of the Scooby Doo sequel which cost 40 million? 

2 minutes ago, Sean Mooney said:

The New York Post is the only one- as of now- saying the film was terrible. 

But apparently you saw it-  so tell us more specifics about the film. 

The test screenings said it sucked. You miss that part? 

3 minutes ago, Sean Mooney said:

Also, explain why they got rid of the Scooby Doo sequel which cost 40 million? 

It probably starred Tyler Perry, Joy Reed, Hunter BIden and Stacey Abrams. 

8 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

The test screenings said it sucked. You miss that part? 

You miss the part where I said only the New York Post is really saying that? The Wrap, The Hollywood Reporter, and Variety are not saying that- with studio insiders in the latter publication saying "...the decision was not driven by the quality of the film or the commitment of the filmmakers, but by the desire for the studio’s slate of DC features to be at a blockbuster scale."

Explain the Scooby sequel getting dumped too.