Sign in to follow this  
Mike Honcho

Voters in Kansas decide to keep abortion legal in the state, rejecting an amendment

Kansas Votes to Preserve Abortion Rights Protections in Its Constitution

The defeat of the ballot referendum was the most tangible demonstration yet of a political backlash against the U.S. Supreme Court’s decision to overturn Roe v. Wade, the landmark decision that had protected abortion rights throughout the country. The decisive margin — 59 to 41 percent, with about 95 percent of the votes counted — came as a surprise, and after frenzied campaigns with both sides pouring millions into advertising and knocking on doors throughout a sweltering final campaign stretch.

“The voters in Kansas have spoken loud and clear: We will not tolerate extreme bans on abortion,” said Rachel Sweet, the campaign manager for Kansans for Constitutional Freedom, which led the effort to defeat the amendment.

This issue is going to drive people to the polls.  

How is it political backlash when it was handled exactly the way the SC said it should be handled? :dunno:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

How is it political backlash when it was handled exactly the way the SC said it should be handled? :dunno:

Yep. This is exactly how abortion should be decided state by state.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

Yup, exactly how it should be handled. Good for Kansas.

8 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

He owned himself 

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

41 minutes ago, crackattack said:

Yep. This is exactly how abortion should be decided state by state.

39 minutes ago, Reality said:

Yup, exactly how it should be handled. Good for Kansas.

Ditto. Dems are morons. Have fun drowning in the red wave idiots. 

• Like 1

I think people want to see more fiscal conservative, social moderates.  But the primary system doesn't always lend itself to producing those types of candidates.

1 hour ago, TimmySmith said:

He means that overturning Roe will help Dems in the midterms. Even in a pretty solid red state, the pro-life vote doesn't have but 1/3 of the voters supporting making it illegal.

1 hour ago, Mike Honcho said:

No it won’t,  most people simply don’t give a

If Kansas Dems were smart, this would have been on the ballot in November.

1 hour ago, Voltaire said:

He means that overturning Roe will help Dems in the midterms. Even in a pretty solid red state, the pro-life vote doesn't have but 1/3 of the voters supporting making it illegal.

So what?  That was a very specific referendum.  It asked only about abortion.  When it comes to electing congresspeople, voters are going to vote on issues that those people can actually impact such as inflation and the border.  There aren't going to be many people, if any, that put abortion at the top of their list of reasons to vote for a specific person.  May have an impact at the state level but not at the federal level.

31 minutes ago, cmh6476 said:

If Kansas Dems were smart, this would have been on the ballot in November.

You think Kansas Dems put an amendment on the ballot that said  “there is no Kansas constitutional right to abortion or to require the government funding of abortion.” ?

28 minutes ago, Strike said:

So what?  That was a very specific referendum.  It asked only about abortion.  When it comes to electing congresspeople, voters are going to vote on issues that those people can actually impact such as inflation and the border.  There aren't going to be many people, if any, that put abortion at the top of their list of reasons to vote for a specific person.  May have an impact at the state level but not at the federal level.

House Republicans weigh national abortion restrictions

The Life at Conception Act, led by Rep. Alex Mooney (R-W.Va.), would recognize rights from the “moment of fertilization.” The legislation has 163 GOP co-sponsors, and a discharge petition filed by Rep. Bob Good (R-Va.) has 55 signatures, with 218 needed to force a vote on the bill.

So the system is working then?   How unsurprising.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

You think Kansas Dems put an amendment on the ballot that said  “there is no Kansas constitutional right to abortion or to require the government funding of abortion.” ?

It would have been smart if they did, targeting the November election because this did get their base out to the polls.  But no, I realize they weren't driving this.

The abortion issue will never go away because there's no middle ground for the extremists.  The best way to handle this, to stop the bickering is to make Abortion legal, but the states decide the time frame and it's 100% paid for (100% of the time), by the woman getting the abortion.  That's the solution.  Anything else is just meant to keep the 2 sides opposed.

Best way to handle this is to stop killing humans.  When the baby has a heart beat don’t kill it.  

2 hours ago, cmh6476 said:

It would have been smart if they did, targeting the November election because this did get their base out to the polls.  But no, I realize they weren't driving this.

I agree.  Any state which has a proposal like the Kansas one on the November ballot, is going to bring out a whole lotta people to vote against it.  And those people will disproportionately vote blue on the other issues and candidates.

Without such extreme specific ballot measures, I doubt the people who are generally too lazy/unmotivated to vote will bother to do so just to vote for congresspeople.

1 hour ago, jerryskids said:

I agree.  Any state which has a proposal like the Kansas one on the November ballot, is going to bring out a whole lotta people to vote against it.  And those people will disproportionately vote blue on the other issues and candidates.

Without such extreme specific ballot measures, I doubt the people who are generally too lazy/unmotivated to vote will bother to do so just to vote for congresspeople.

what happened in arizona yesterday?  I know it was coming up on the major news outlets but I wasn't following your elections closely enough to care.  We had a primary in Missouri and the Republican Senate candidate I was pulling for won.  Our adultering, ex-governor who resigned because of a scandal and was accused of abusing his ex-spouse and pulling the Trump card all along the way lost.  And interesting enough, a sitting Congresswoman, endorsed by our other US Senator didn't fare so well either.  It was our current Attorney General who some people I know were doing work for actually won.

See, here's my problem with this. There's a front page photo on CNN with some ginormous manly looking lesbian with their fist in the air cheering about this news.

Like she would ever need an abortion.

It reminds me of when they legalized gay marriage and the front page photo on CNN then? Was like two really ugly fat guys kissing each other. Yuck.

6 minutes ago, cmh6476 said:

what happened in arizona yesterday?  I know it was coming up on the major news outlets but I wasn't following your elections closely enough to care.  We had a primary in Missouri and the Republican Senate candidate I was pulling for won.  Our adultering, ex-governor who resigned because of a scandal and was accused of abusing his ex-spouse and pulling the Trump card all along the way lost.  And interesting enough, a sitting Congresswoman, endorsed by our other US Senator didn't fare so well either.  It was our current Attorney General who some people I know were doing work for actually won.

I discussed it some in the Kari Lake thread lower on the front page.  Looking like a Trump sweep on the Rep side:  Lake for gov, Finchem for SoS, Masters for Senate (I voted for him), Hamadeh for AG.

5 minutes ago, cmh6476 said:

what happened in arizona yesterday?  

MSM yesterday and last week:  :overhead: Next really big test for Trump and his control of the GOP.  MAGA candidates on the ballot in Arizona for Governor, Secretary of State and US Senate all promoters of the 2020 election fraud.

Vote:  All three MAGA candidates win.

MSM today:  :o :cry:

13 hours ago, Mike Honcho said:

Maybe. Or it says more Republicans think women should have a choice than you think. Look at the race for governor. 450,000 voted Republican while only 375,000 voted Democrat.   That wont end changing anything in November.  

Like I've always said, I'm neither pro-life nor pro-choice.

I guess I'm presently defacto pro-life because I won't be voting for a Democrat again any time soon and since most all GOP candidates are pro-life, so be it, sign me up, but the reason I vote GOP has zilch to do with abortion. 

Anyway, I like seeing the left's favorite toy broken. I do enjoy the schadenfreude of seeing the architects of Amerika's demise suffering. But I have to think this issue will piss them off enough to come out to vote. Nebraska indicates it's a winning issue for them. I'd rather they sitting at home dejected, contemplating why all their policies failed and are backfiring and not taking the time. Michigan should be done with Gretchen Whitmer and the other two witches but now SCOTUS has sent them a lifeline.

Hopefully Michigan goes for the smoking hot Republican alternative. :wub:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Voltaire said:

I guess I'm presently defacto pro-life because I won't be voting for a Democrat again any time soon and since most all GOP candidates are pro-life, so be it, sign me up, but the reason I vote GOP has zilch to do with abortion. 

Anyway, I like seeing the left's favorite toy broken. I do enjoy the schadenfreude of seeing the architects of Amerika's demise suffering. But I have to think this issue will piss them off enough to come out to vote. Nebraska indicates it's a winning issue for them. I'd rather they sitting at home dejected, contemplating why all their policies failed and are backfiring and not taking the time. Michigan should be done with Gretchen Whitmer and the other two witches but now SCOTUS has sent them a lifeline.

I wonder how many people actually get abortions. Let's leave rape victims out of the picture because that is a whole different discussion, way smaller category here in the US.

But seriously, what is the % of women getting abortions out there? How many people think of getting abortions? 

I never hear numbers around this topic. I never hear the numbers about the reasons women get abortions. All I hear from the left is people talking about rape and incest. That should be it's own law concerning abortion.

Other than that, why are women in need of abortions? I would like to see all the reasons and the percentages of them.

I don't care that much either, but there is no digging in to the real reason why all these women want or support abortions is there? 

My body, my choice, my ass. Take the shot or lose your job. You will not be protected from losing it. But kill a kid, your choice even though it's a separate body dependent upon you. Pro death people really took the wrong path to get where they are today. Are women simply afraid to say how weak they are when it comes to having sex and not demanding birth control? And the whole they can't afford it doesn't work for me. I can't afford a massive yacht, that doesn't mean I should buy one I can't afford then cry foul when they take it away from me.  

19 hours ago, Voltaire said:

21 hours ago, Mike Honcho said:

I felt all along that this will hurt the Republicans in the midterm.  I think they will still flip the house but it may be enough to turn some really tight races.  It might be enough to put Abrams in the Gov seat here in GA

First and foremost I am delighted that sluts can continue murdering their babies, this is a win for society 

Second, it is good that the people decided and not the court. This is how it should work.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Voltaire said:

I agree with most of this.  Abortion is not even on the list of why I would vote for someone but I am afraid it will hurt the Republicans come November.   Worst case if it rallies the Dems and they add a couple seats in the Senate and keep the House then the filibuster, SCOTUS, the abortion ban, immigration, election laws and everything else moderates and people on the the right have left (which is not much) is gone.  If anything might do this that ruling by the SC would be the only thing.  I do not see it happening given the state of the economy but if the economy improves it could happen.