star69

Blake Bortles

Decent stats and playoff on resume

Why can this guy not make  a roster when so many nobody QBs that will never play a down are getting checks every week?

He seems good enough to be on a roster.  Not sure why not.

But out of 5 years of significant playing he has cracked 60% twice for completion percentage.  And that was 60.2 and 60.3.  

Thats pretty bad in today's wide open game.  He can throw some TDs.  He can pass it downfield.   But he doesn't seem very efficient.   

2 hours ago, listen2me 23 said:

He seems good enough to be on a roster.  Not sure why not.

But out of 5 years of significant playing he has cracked 60% twice for completion percentage.  And that was 60.2 and 60.3.  

Thats pretty bad in today's wide open game.  He can throw some TDs.  He can pass it downfield.   But he doesn't seem very efficient.   

Completion pct is a bit overrated. The check down Charlie’s like Teddy Bridgewater have a high comp pct.  It doesn’t result in wins necessarily.  

7 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Completion pct is a bit overrated. The check down Charlie’s like Teddy Bridgewater have a high comp pct.  It doesn’t result in wins necessarily.  

Burrow was 1st in completion percentage and 1st in yards per attempt and yards per completion.   

I don't think you are correct.   It does mean a ton.  Sure a dink and dunker will have an inflated % but good QBs can throw it down field and take what the defense gives them by checking down when need be. 

If you are completing 59% of your throws in today's NFL then you are inaccurate or can't read a defense.  29 QBs had a completion % over 60 last year.  Only bottom of the barrel QBs struggle to get to 60%. Not saying he doesn't have the talent to be a backup somewhere.   

Also check down charlie is needed in today's NFL some.  You have to do both.  But in a spread game where everyone scores points you need to taken what they give you and move the chains.  Teams have been starting to just play deep and keep everything in front.  Guys like Jameis Winston can make all thr throws but if you can't stop chucking it downfield when it isn't there then you are just being inefficient.

Bortles threw for 4000 yards one yr  and nearly hit it again and he won a playoff game

bortles was the "final piece" of a stacked jaguars team and it turned out he wasnt good.  but i suppose if he could find some way to qb another stacked team he might be a meh qb again, who knows!

7 minutes ago, star69 said:

Bortles threw for 4000 yards one yr  and nearly hit it again and he won a playoff game

Oh I agree it seems weird that he can't stick to a roster lately.    

4000 yards means little these days.  He beat Tyrod Taylor and the Bills in the playoffs 10 to 3.  

24 minutes ago, star69 said:

If you look at the games it was mostly garbage time, and the team won in the playoffs despite him.  He was not a good QB, but he was a good FF QB and put up stats.

41 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

Also check down charlie is needed in today's NFL some.  You have to do both.  But in a spread game where everyone scores points you need to taken what they give you and move the chains.  Teams have been starting to just play deep and keep everything in front.  Guys like Jameis Winston can make all thr throws but if you can't stop chucking it downfield when it isn't there then you are just being inefficient.

I completely agree with your analysis that many defenses are now keeping things in front of them and taking away the deep ball. I am going to try and keep that in mind  when drafting this year. I think we are going to see more passes in front of the defenders to the TE’s , rb’s and slot wr’s. Guys getting behind the D are going to be rarer this year. You saw a lot of it last year. 

mebbe he's ghey or an alcoholic? :dunno:

didn't you ever hear of Bortles & James?  :doh: