Sign in to follow this  
makindollaz

Anyone willing to roll the dice on Lance as starting QB?

I’ve been thinking about it of late, but only if it’s a round and spot I’m comfortable with and If I did I would want to back him up with a Cousins/Carr type. So if I could go Lance/Cousins in rounds 8/9 I might do it.

13 minutes ago, jrokh said:

I’ve been thinking about it of late, but only if it’s a round and spot I’m comfortable with and If I did I would want to back him up with a Cousins/Carr type. So if I could go Lance/Cousins in rounds 8/9 I might do it.

That was exactly my thought, with those 2 specifically as safety net options.

Don’t claim to be an expert re: projecting how young QB’s will do, but had this same feeling about Wentz, Mahomes & Lamar the summer before they had huge breakout seasons.

2 hours ago, makindollaz said:

in a 12 team league?

Feeling like he could breakout this year.

Redraft/1 QB?  I wouldn't waste a roster spot on him.

33 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Not exactly redraft, but yes, 1 QB.

We keep 7 from the year before, and my 7 are good enough to make the playoffs but not top 1-2 in the league.  And the pot is winner take all.

That’s why I feel like I need to take a few chances.

Based on what I saw last night, I wouldn't get too excited.  Trey completed 3 of 4 passes for 16 yards, and then caught a preseason defense in a busted coverage.  He'll have to do that a lot more to make him a worthwhile fantasy QB--and the problem is, there are only 2 more preseason games, and then he'll have to face live NFL defenses.

Don't waste a roster spot drafting 2 QBs.  You wouldn't draft two Ks or Ds, would you?

2 hours ago, makindollaz said:

Not exactly redraft, but yes, 1 QB.

We keep 7 from the year before, and my 7 are good enough to make the playoffs but not top 1-2 in the league.  And the pot is winner take all.

That’s why I feel like I need to take a few chances.

In that case, I'd definitely take a shot on him, but late.  My preference though, I'm guessing is probably later than when others may want him.  If I were taking a shot on a QB for keeper purposes, I'd much rather spend a pick on Pickett.

57 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Based on what I saw last night, I wouldn't get too excited.  Trey completed 3 of 4 passes for 16 yards, and then caught a preseason defense in a busted coverage.  He'll have to do that a lot more to make him a worthwhile fantasy QB--and the problem is, there are only 2 more preseason games, and then he'll have to face live NFL defenses.

Don't waste a roster spot drafting 2 QBs.  You wouldn't draft two Ks or Ds, would you?

I guess we all see what we want to see. Wasn’t a busted coverage as much as a scrub corner getting toasted by a 4.3 guy. The throw was strong and on the money. He finished with a perfect QB Rating. What else was he supposed to do?

8 minutes ago, jrokh said:

Wasn’t a busted coverage as much as a scrub corner getting toasted by a 4.3 guy.

At least you admit he was a scrub corner.  That's kind of my point.  We have three 5 yard passes and 1 fluke long TD--all in the first game of preseason.

Perspective is called for.

8 minutes ago, jrokh said:

What else was he supposed to do?

The same thing consistently through the regular season.

3 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

At least you admit he was a scrub corner.  That's kind of my point.  We have three 5 yard passes and 1 fluke long TD--all in the first game of preseason.

Perspective is called for.

The same thing consistently through the regular season.

Obviously, but you are suggesting that his pre-season performance was a negative or non factor at best. So if Lance had made the same play but with better coverage that would have been evidence  of a reason to get excited? If you don’t like him fine just say that. Trying to downplay a highlight as a nothingburger is pointless…

still waiting for your list of unexpected blowup players…

1 hour ago, Sean Mooney said:

If you draft him he needs to be backed up by a guy you feel real comfortable having as a starter if need be. 

this.

while I feel better about Lance after seeing his exhibition game last year I also  say that knowing he still has lots of work to do.

he made some nice throws, and his throwing motion appears to be better.  he also seems to be more decisive when making plays.

but at times he still struggles with accuracy.  not as bad as last year, but hes also only facing a vanilla defense in exhibition as well.   so I have not seen enough to trust the guy fully.

there was a throw out into the flat that was way high. and one that was well thrown to the sidelines but out of bounds.  he had to throw that a shade earlier and a couple yards closer so the receiver wasnt catching it out of bounds.

so the guy still has some work to do.

hes probably good enough to be a starter.  I still dont think hes better than Jimmy G but hes probably not going to improve much more until he starts more games.   Right now he needs to play if hes going to step forward in his own development.

but I dont think hes a QB1 this year.

hes a QB2.

and if drafting as a QB1 you should grab another player on the cusp of QB1/2 like a Carr or a cousins or a Russell Wilson to pair with him.   This way if he craps the bed you are not out of luck.

18 minutes ago, jrokh said:

Wasn’t a busted coverage as much as a scrub corner getting toasted by a 4.3 guy.

I agree.

That kid is FAST.   if Deebo is getting more reps at RB this kid could easily slide into one of the WR slots in his absence and play well.

I am really liking what I see so far from the kid and hes in the right place with the right coach to develop him into a player.

given the speed of this kid, even a good corner who maybe didnt respect his speed enough could have been burned on that play. 

5 minutes ago, jrokh said:

Obviously, but you are suggesting that his pre-season performance was a negative or non factor at best. So if Lance had made the same play but with better coverage that would have been evidence  of a reason to get excited? If you don’t like him fine just say that. Trying to downplay a highlight as a nothingburger is pointless…

As always, Axe Elf will educate you in the way that he sees fit.

As always, how you use that education is up to you.

37 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

As always, Axe Elf will educate you in the way that he sees fit.

As always, how you use that education is up to you.

If I ever need advice on how to avoid answering questions, spinning information, or administering propaganda, you will be the first person I look to for answers...

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

I agree.

That kid is FAST.   if Deebo is getting more reps at RB this kid could easily slide into one of the WR slots in his absence and play well.

I am really liking what I see so far from the kid and hes in the right place with the right coach to develop him into a player.

given the speed of this kid, even a good corner who maybe didnt respect his speed enough could have been burned on that play. 

also as a guy who has played the position, hitting the fast receivers is actually harder than hitting the slow ones.

and this guy has 4.35 speed.    so I consider this to be a solid throw.

its not his fault the DB got beat on the converage.  the important thing is that he hit his target and got a TD.

it was a good play.

I still am not drafting the kid to be my starter in any format.   but hes looking better than last year, and if you go back to last years posts, I was very critical of the kid.

I still think he has a ways to go before I'd call him good, but hes improving.

39 minutes ago, jrokh said:

If I ever need advice on how to avoid answering questions, spinning information, or administering propaganda, you will be the first person I look to for answers...

Axe Elf - The Free Online University!

He's not just for fantasy football any more...

Lance is going to be a  good double digit round draft pick. If the matchup is right , I’m sure I might pick him up from time to time,  no need to roster two qbs.  

It's fine to roster 2 QB's as long as you feel like you are strong depth wise elsewhere. Some of it is contingent on roster size though in your league. 15 spots it's hard but manageable to roster 2 qb's...Besides it's dumb to roster like 6 RB or 6 WR. 

Doesn’t it hurt ones depth at rb and wr to take two qbs? I say indeed it do.  

Just one Qb and  stream.  

Extra roster spots for those extra wr and rb, and that’s the winning way.  

8 minutes ago, LaChup said:

I bet he gets the starting QB spot for sure.

Mr Grinch. 

2 hours ago, Sean Mooney said:

Besides it's dumb to roster like 6 RB or 6 WR.

It's dumber to roster 2 QBs.

10 hours ago, weepaws said:

Doesn’t it hurt ones depth at rb and wr to take two qbs? I say indeed it do.  

Just one Qb and  stream.  

Extra roster spots for those extra wr and rb, and that’s the winning way.  

8 hours ago, AxeElf said:

It's dumber to roster 2 QBs.

Don't roster 2 QBs has become conventional wisdom.

Conventional wisdom is this case is wrong. 

7 minutes ago, Sean Mooney said:

Don't roster 2 QBs has become conventional wisdom.

there are exceptions to every rule.   I dont think there is anything wrong with rostering an extra QB at least up until the bye if you are not sure about the guy you've taken to be your #1...and if your #1 has an early bye week anyways, why not roster 2 QB's up to that point.

I'll admit most years I prefer to get one set it and forget it QB in standard leagues.   makes managing the team (or if you have multiple teams it makes it easier to manage multiple teams)

I have found by midseason people start to take the good waiver wire QB's off the market anyways as insurance for injury for their playoff run.

so while people say they dont roster an extra QB, it happens more than people admit.

in your case I think youd be dumb to draft this kid as your starter and not have a backup plan.  hes far from a sure thing.   Just know that the cost is an extra roster spot.  I think you are willing to do the late round draft pick to get a second QB.

1 hour ago, Ray_T said:

there are exceptions to every rule.   I dont think there is anything wrong with rostering an extra QB at least up until the bye if you are not sure about the guy you've taken to be your #1...and if your #1 has an early bye week anyways, why not roster 2 QB's up to that point.

Not only exceptions but these hard and fast rules assume that everyone has the same scoring systems and roster sizes. Only Sith Lords talk in absolutes...

20 minutes ago, jrokh said:

Not only exceptions but these hard and fast rules assume that everyone has the same scoring systems and roster sizes. Only Sith Lords talk in absolutes...

true.  you dont want to go to the dark side.

I make rules for myself too but I have found that whenever I do, I find a situation where an exception is warranted.

and when common sense dictates an exception should be made, ignoring that usually turns into a problem.

The last time I only rostered one QB was when Eli was still playing. He's extreme HOF and the last QB worthy of carrying a fantasy team on his back.

8 minutes ago, LaChup said:

The last time I only rostered one QB was when Eli was still playing. He's extreme HOF and the last QB worthy of carrying a fantasy team on his back.

The only thing interesting about you is the mystery of which other user handles you use on here…

6 minutes ago, jrokh said:

The only thing interesting about you is the mystery of which other user handles you use on here…

The only interesting thing about you is your are Peyton and Eli's non-football playing brother.

1 minute ago, LaChup said:

The only interesting thing about you is your are Peyton and Eli's non-football playing brother.

Yes my real name is Cooper and my kid Archie is the #1 QB recruit in the Country. I like to spend some of my free team interacting with savant’s like yourself. What gave it away?

4 hours ago, Sean Mooney said:

Conventional wisdom may fail you, but Axe Elf will not.

2 hours ago, jrokh said:

Fortunately, no one has to assume anything for the purposes of this thread; @TBayXXXVII already confirmed the parameters of the league in question.

On 8/13/2022 at 9:51 AM, TBayXXXVII said:

23 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Fortunately, no one has to assume anything for the purposes of this thread; @TBayXXXVII already confirmed the parameters of the league in question.

I didn't notice anything about roster sizes. Not all leagues have the same requirement for roster spots, and/or how many of each position you need to start. There could be one league that has 9 starters and 7 bench players, and a different league with 10 starters and five bench players. So I guess you must be a sith lord....

15 minutes ago, jrokh said:

I didn't notice anything about roster sizes. Not all leagues have the same requirement for roster spots, and/or how many of each position you need to start. There could be one league that has 9 starters and 7 bench players, and a different league with 10 starters and five bench players. So I guess you must be a sith lord....

No, but apparently my powers of reading comprehension make me a god to those who still haven't figured out this is a 1 QB league.

24 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

No, but apparently my powers of reading comprehension make me a god to those who still haven't figured out this is a 1 QB league.

That has long been established. What hasn’t is other factors like roster sizes and bench spots. Your powers of reading comprehension are vastly underwhelming…

1 hour ago, AxeElf said:

Conventional wisdom may fail you, but Axe Elf will not.

You would've failed me many times

OP never mention that the league they play in is a two Qb league, or a superflex league. 

In a one Qb league, one needs to wait until the double digit rounds to draft their Qb,  no need to draft two qbs, all the f/a become your other Qb.  Let’s not be fooled by the foolish ones, no need to roster more then one Qb, one te, one kicked one def. No need to draft a Qb or a te or a kicker or a def until double digit rounds. = winner   

Thanks.