Sign in to follow this  
Ray_T

Lock tests positive for Covid - Won't play Preseason Wk2

he apparently got his first action with the first team and then caught covid.  hes out at least 5 days and wont play in the next exhibition game.

He shouldn't worry about it.  Geno Smith isn't that good.  He'll play himself out of the role at some point and Locke will get his chance.

The battle begins again, it’s the horrible Geno holding his  own Vs Lock. 

15 minutes ago, weepaws said:

The battle begins again, it’s the horrible Geno holding his  own Vs Lock. 

last preseason game may have actually helped Lock.  Geno did not look good (at least not while I was watching)

57 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

last preseason game may have actually helped Lock.  Geno did not look good (at least not while I was watching)

My sarcasm has been that if Lock is any good this should have been decided when the Hawks acquired Lock, there shouldn’t be any Qb battle when one of the participants is Geno.  

I don’t think it says much about Lock and most of the ff available players for this next season no matter who wins that Qb job.  

12 hours ago, weepaws said:

My sarcasm has been that if Lock is any good this should have been decided when the Hawks acquired Lock, there shouldn’t be any Qb battle when one of the participants is Geno.  

I don’t think it says much about Lock and most of the ff available players for this next season no matter who wins that Qb job.  

well, it could also be that Carroll has the belief that he doesnt like to just hand the starting job to someone without them earning it.   Some coaches seriously believe that.

as for whether this is the case here remains to be seen.   All I am saying is I wouldnt discount the possibility that Lock ends up starting.   This Covid thing has set him back but if he plays well in the final exhibition game, I think the job is his for the taking (and may have been his all along but we cannot climb into Carrols head)

Mayfield already named the Starter for the Panthers, that my point, of Lock was any good, he would have won the job by now over a horrible Qb like Geno.  

2 minutes ago, weepaws said:

Mayfield already named the Starter for the Panthers, that my point, of Lock was any good, he would have won the job by now over a horrible Qb like Geno.  

if you claim its a fair and open competition its tough to name a player starter while they are injured.   kinda makes it look like it wasnt a fair competition.

Just sayin.

18 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

if you claim its a fair and open competition its tough to name a player starter while they are injured.   kinda makes it look like it wasnt a fair competition.

Just sayin.

That’s okay, I think being tied up in a battle with a horrible Qb like Geno still doesn’t tell me much about mr Lock. 

5 minutes ago, weepaws said:

That’s okay, I think being tied up in a battle with a horrible Qb like Geno still doesn’t tell me much about mr Lock. 

it may not be about that.  at the start of the offseason they may have told him hed get a fair shot to compete for the starting job.  hes been their backup a while.   if you want him to play for you as a backup later, you have to make him feel you gave him a fair shot at that starting job.   you dont just give the job to someone who isnt even on the field.   

it sets a bad example.   

there are egos to massage and this isnt the way to do it.

it had looked like lock was starting to show hes better was getting his first reps with the 1's and then gets covid.   I'd just say its really bad luck.

I dont view this as a slight on him at this point.  this was likely the plan all along

Of course he’s getting a shot, they don’t know of they have a worthy one in Lock, reminds me of the Darnold with the Panthers last season, I said he would stink, and not be better then Bridgewater, mmm. 

Thats what this remains me of, the Hawks will be looking to upgrade at Qb next offseason. 

9 minutes ago, weepaws said:

Of course he’s getting a shot, they don’t know of they have a worthy one in Lock, reminds me of the Darnold with the Panthers last season, I said he would stink, and not be better then Bridgewater, mmm. 

Thats what this remains me of, the Hawks will be looking to upgrade at Qb next offseason. 

its rumoured they will be looking to sign JimmyG if Sanfran drops him.

that doesnt mean it will happen.

14 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

its rumoured they will be looking to sign JimmyG if Sanfran drops him.

that doesnt mean it will happen.

Now that would be their starting Qb the moment that they sign him, there would be zero fair shot for Geno, even though he has been their back up Qb for a while, zero, not so much with Lock.  

12 minutes ago, weepaws said:

Now that would be their starting Qb the moment that they sign him, there would be zero fair shot for Geno, even though he has been their back up Qb for a while, zero, not so much with Lock.  

technically he would be put on waivers and Seattle would claim him.

I dont see San fran trading him to a division rival.   so Seattle would need to pay his full salary or take their chances that they can outbid whoever else wants him.  Thats where the follow the money theory comes in.  you dont bring a guy in and pay him that kind of cash to be a backup.

there is also a fair chance someone who finished lower in the standings would pickup Jimmy G's contract ahead of Seattle anyhow.

I could be wrong.  he could clear waivers.  I just wouldnt bet on it.

I wouldn’t bet on it, he then would become the Hawks starting Qb.  

1 hour ago, TBayXXXVII said:

As a coach once said, "If you have a QB competition, you don't have a QB".

I think he was just plagiarizing from "If you're interviewing candidates for your Vice President of Marketing Affairs, you don't have a Vice President of Marketing Affairs."

It's a really clever concept.

Just my own personal opinion as a Seahawks fan. Lock plays just about all of game 3. And if he performs well. He'll be the week 1 starter. 

Last week really put a monkey wrench into this battle. From what I heard also, Lock was actually pretty sick for a couple day's. Guess it hit him hard.

But the feeling I've gotten all offseason is Carroll really doesn't want Smith starting unless Lock just fell flat on his face. And if Geno does start. He's gonna have a very quick hook. I really think Carroll would rather fail with Lock, than be mediocre with Smith.

They've drafted very well the last 2 year's (finally). Have all their good players signed. Payroll is in descent shape after this year when Wilson and Carson come off the books. And have very good draft capital, along with being in good shape to get high compensation picks to add to it. And it's a presumably great QB class coming out, if they needed to say f't. Here's everything we have, I want that guy.

For being in bad shape, they're actually in great shape. I don't take this as a burn it to the ground and start over game plan. As much as a, just might have a really crappy season.

Any who. Sorry for the long winded response. I expect Lock to start more games than Smith this year, barring an injury.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Kopy said:

Just my own personal opinion as a Seahawks fan. Lock plays just about all of game 3. And if he performs well. He'll be the week 1 starter. 

Last week really put a monkey wrench into this battle. From what I heard also, Lock was actually pretty sick for a couple day's. Guess it hit him hard.

But the feeling I've gotten all offseason is Carroll really doesn't want Smith starting unless Lock just fell flat on his face. And if Geno does start. He's gonna have a very quick hook. I really think Carroll would rather fail with Lock, than be mediocre with Smith.

They've drafted very well the last 2 year's (finally). Have all their good players signed. Payroll is in descent shape after this year when Wilson and Carson come off the books. And have very good draft capital, along with being in good shape to get high compensation picks to add to it. And it's a presumably great QB class coming out, if they needed to say f't. Here's everything we have, I want that guy.

For being in bad shape, they're actually in great shape. I don't take this as a burn it to the ground and start over game plan. As much as a, just might have a really crappy season.

Any who. Sorry for the long winded response. I expect Lock to start more games than Smith this year, barring an injury.

I also think Carroll is a prideful guy.  he wont tank.   

its not in his nature.

I'm pretty sure that he takes the guy with the highest upside (Lock) and he will sink or swim with him this year.  if he sinks he gets the top QB anyhow.  if he swims..... well, a decision needs to be made.