Sign in to follow this  
Sean Mooney

Sean Mooney's 2022 Season Drafts- Week 14 Update

Back to me at the turn...Went Mark Andrews in the 2nd and James Conner in the 3rd.

I don't normally go tight ends this early but I think the difference between him and #10 is like 90 points so I'll take that extra 6 points a week in a 12 team league.

Conner I guess is fine as my 2nd running back

People who take 60-90 seconds to make their picks in drafts should be thrown out of the league, or pay a penalty to the league kitty.

How hard is it to have a queue ready online so you can just go with who is left there when it is your turn?

Couple things with this league...buy in is 25 dollars for 12 people.

Only pays 1st and 2nd but then also pays 45 dollars for highest total points on season. 

• Haha 1

Turn to me in rounds 4 and 5...Didn't love the board out in front of me yet. Lots of receivers there with 70+ reception potential too, but also wanted to see where I could be at other spots.

Thought about doing the Marquise Brown and Kyler Murray package there but I didn't necessarily want to go QB just yet with a lot of good options out in front of me. However, I had considered going Josh Allen (he was taken 2 before me) because it would've given me the projected #1 QB, RB, and TE.

Ended up going Zeke Elliott at 4 and Brown at 5.

So I'm sitting now with 3 running backs in the top 20 and I don't feel like I need to swoop in and hope on some RB3s jumping up. Add in the #1 TE and a top 20 receiver and I think I'm okay for now. All about getting depth though as we go. 

14 minutes ago, Sean Mooney said:

Back to me at the turn...Went Mark Andrews in the 2nd and James Conner in the 3rd.

I don't normally go tight ends this early but I think the difference between him and #10 is like 90 points so I'll take that extra 6 points a week in a 12 team league.

Conner I guess is fine as my 2nd running back

I think its far easier to wait on a TE in a 10 teamer than it is in a 12 teamer.    There is a point where it makes sense to draft a TE early despite what some others here think about it.

I cant speak to your situation unless I see who was left on the board.  But his ADP is at 24 last I checked (it may have gone up or down a couple slots since I last looked)

and if you drafted at #1 overall you are pretty close to his ADP.  I'm sure it will work out.

2 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

There is a point where it makes sense to draft a TE early

Yeah, when Goedert or Ertz are still there in the 8th, maybe... but under no circumstances is a TE in the 2nd round ever warranted.

Let's all watch as this train dives over the cliff...

Yeah it's a 12 team league and the draft basically went as you would expect 1st 2 rounds. ESPN has Andrews at 19th overall.

The immediate 5 picks after him (and outside of Conner) were: Mike Evans, Ceedee Lamb, AJ Brown, Aaron Jones, Michael Pittman

Just now, AxeElf said:

Yeah, when Goedert or Ertz are still there in the 8th, maybe... but under no circumstances is a TE in the 2nd round ever warranted.

Goedert is projected for 80 points less on the season. Ertz like 83. 

Again in that 1 spot you need to jump ahead at times and gain advantages as you can

1 minute ago, Sean Mooney said:

Goedert is projected for 80 points less on the season. Ertz like 83. 

Well that's easily fixed; just project him for more points than Andrews, and you're getting a steal!

Again in that 1 spot you need to jump ahead at times and gain advantages as you can

Yes, GAIN advantages; not give them up.

Basically the 8 QBs I had scattered along Tier 1 and 2 are gone now so 3 teams besides me need a QB. I'll get a Tier 3 guy- just a matter of trying to get who I really want. 

Just now, AxeElf said:

Well that's easily fixed; just project him for more points than Andrews, and you're getting a steal!

Yes we know you hate trying to project out things on a season. 

Just now, Sean Mooney said:

Yes we know you hate trying to project out things on a season. 

Why would you say that?  It's by projecting Goedert for more points than Andrews that allowed you to see what a great deal he would have been.

Back to me at the 6-7 turn.

Needed wide receivers and with quite a few yet there that should be good for like 100 targets and/or 70 catches it was time to go after someone.

So I doubled up and grabbed Christian Kirk and Allen Robinson.

Not in love with Robinson but I think him being with Stafford helps a ton. Kupp will draw attention. And I'll always take a piece of the Rams offense.

Basically in a spot where we have guys with question marks: Lockett (not sure about Lock at QB), London (Mariota isn't great), Renfrow (not sure how Adams effects him), Thielen (seems to be trending down a little)....Plus I figure one of them might be there coming back as people will be trying to swipe tight ends and deeper pick RBs.

lamar and barkley went early.

You may suffer a little for sacrificing top wrs for rb3.

Which wrs are available for your next picks?

4 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Why would you say that?  It's by projecting Goedert for more points than Andrews that allowed you to see what a great deal he would have been.

What you are doing is not based in anything other than delusion. 

Just now, Bier Meister said:

lamar and barkley went early.

You may suffer a little for sacrificing top wrs for rb3.

Which wrs are available for your next picks?

Yeah always a trade off. My thinking was running back is weak this year and there are so many teams that have committees where you are hoping you can grab the right guy from week to week I was thinking by having Taylor, Conner, and Elliott I have 3 guys who should get the majority of the work in their backfields. 

Lockett (not sure about Lock at QB)

Lock won't be the starting QB any time soon, and Smith was "locked" in on Lockett all preseason.

Robinson was a great pick, Kirk, meh.

What you are doing is not based in anything other than delusion. 

Yes, that's the dictionary definition of season-long projections.

1 minute ago, AxeElf said:

Lock won't be the starting QB any time soon, and Smith was "locked" in on Lockett all preseason.

Robinson was a great pick, Kirk, meh.

Kirk to me follows my general rule of trying to grab a receiver or two from a bad team.

Those teams are usually trailing big and are racking up garbage time stats. Bad for real football- great for fantasy football. 

2 minutes ago, Sean Mooney said:

I doubled up and grabbed Christian Kirk and Allen Robinson.

Allen Robinson is a great selection.  you wont regret that one.

Kirk I dont know about.   he is the #1 WR on a team with an emerging QB.   I just dont know that hes a true #1.   but I dont see any imminent threat to his targets so hes probably fine.

whether I like the kirk selection largely depends on who else was there.     Its not a bad pick.   but as a player he just doesnt thrill me.

Yeah always a trade off. My thinking was running back is weak this year and there are so many teams that have committees where you are hoping you can grab the right guy from week to week I was thinking by having Taylor, Conner, and Elliott I have 3 guys who should get the majority of the work in their backfields. 

i understand.  I have a #2 pick in a draft coming up and have mocked different combos.  WRs have become more reliable than rbs (and are more plentiful).  I still want to start the highest potential possible

Just now, AxeElf said:

Now the suspense... when will Sean select his first Kicker?

The league doesn't draft kickers- which I pushed for. 

4 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

Allen Robinson is a great selection.  you wont regret that one.

Kirk I dont know about.   he is the #1 WR on a team with an emerging QB.   I just dont know that hes a true #1.   but I dont see any imminent threat to his targets so hes probably fine.

whether I like the kirk selection largely depends on who else was there.     Its not a bad pick.   but as a player he just doesnt thrill me.

When I drafted Kirk the next 10 receivers off the board were:

Michael Thomas, Hunter Renfrow, Adam Thielen, Devonta Smith, Allen Lazard, DeAndre Hopkins, Tyler Lockett, Drake London, Elijah Moore, Kadarius Toney.

I think all of them are sort of in the same mishmash as Kirk. I was hoping Lockett would fall back to my pick and he missed by 3 picks..

OP may I ask three questions? PPR league? 

Also what pick was Fournette and Lazard? 

Thanks. 

At the 8 and 9 turn I looked at what was laid out in front of me and peeked at RB. There were a few guys left who are at best rb 4's or buried in a time share of some kind. Or they matched poorly with bye weeks for my current RB crop (yes I pay attention to bye weeks at positions- so be it). So I grabbed Chase Edmonds. Don't love it, but I can be done at RB for the draft unless there is some lottery ticket I really love late. 

In the 9th I took my QB and grabbed Stafford. He was the last of my Tier 2 Qbs sitting there. Not my favorite choice there but should be steady, I like the Rams offense, have Robinson, and I can draft one of my lottery ticket QB's at back up if I want. 

I like Michael Thomas but hes been away from football for basically 2 years.

I also like Devonta smith.  nearly 1000 yards as a rookie.   but hes not the top dog there anymore.

I think you did ok.   Still loving the Robinson pick.

Just now, weepaws said:

OP may I ask three questions? PPR league? 

Also what pick was Fournette and Lazard? 

Thanks. 

Yes, PPR

Fournette went 19th (5 picks before my 2nd pick) and Lazard went 86- round 8.

Yes, PPR

Fournette went 19th (5 picks before my 2nd pick) and Lazard went 86- round 8.

Thank you. Good luck. 

At the 8 and 9 turn I looked at what was laid out in front of me and peeked at RB. There were a few guys left who are at best rb 4's or buried in a time share of some kind. Or they matched poorly with bye weeks for my current RB crop (yes I pay attention to bye weeks at positions- so be it). So I grabbed Chase Edmonds. Don't love it, but I can be done at RB for the draft unless there is some lottery ticket I really love late. 

In the 9th I took my QB and grabbed Stafford. He was the last of my Tier 2 Qbs sitting there. Not my favorite choice there but should be steady, I like the Rams offense, have Robinson, and I can draft one of my lottery ticket QB's at back up if I want. 

Stafford is fine.   if you are worried about his arm, you can grab a backup later in the draft.

I"m not worried about it but some are.

At the 8 and 9 turn I looked at what was laid out in front of me and peeked at RB.

That's usually where one of last year's top 10 PPR RBs has been going--I take it Patterson was off the board by the time you picked?

we are now getting into the dregs.   some WR I'd target late:

Devante Parker-still listed as the #1 WR in new England.  at this price the upside totally justifies the draft price.   if hes a dud it wont ruin your draft

Parris campbell-listed as the #2 WR in indy.   in camp they say hes been catching everything thrown his way.  his issue in the past has been health.   right now he is healthy

DJ Chark-#2 in Detroit.

you may be able to wait on some of these guys yet, so grab a RB if you want another first

Sorry OP three more, J Cook Buffalo, Pierce Texans , and JuJu KC.  

Thanks. 

Okay- 11 and 12 turn.Just trying to find some depth now.

Round 11 I grabbed Jakobi Meyers. Don't love the Patriots offense but if you can get a guy who is arguably the #1 on the team at that position you do it.

At round 12 I grabbed Noah Fant. You start 2 RB's, 2 WR, a TE, and 2 FLEX in this league. Fant might be enough that I can use him in the FLEX in a pinch in a week here or there. 

Fant might be enough that I can use him in the FLEX in a pinch in a week here or there. 

If you drafted poorly enough that you're using a mid-range TE as your Flex, you can begin to set your sights on next year.

6 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

That's usually where one of last year's top 10 PPR RBs has been going--I take it Patterson was off the board by the time you picked?

Patterson was there and was the guy I was back and forth on. He really cooled down the stretch last year and they brought in Allegier. The late bye week (which correlates with Taylor's bye week was a plus)

Just now, weepaws said:

Sorry OP three more, J Cook Buffalo, Pierce Texans , and JuJu KC.  

Thanks. 

Cook went 78- round 7

Pierce went 67- round 6

Juju went 57- round 5

Another one OP sorry. 

How about both J Williams and M Gordon.