Sign in to follow this  
Sean Mooney

Sean Mooney's 2022 Season Drafts- Week 14 Update

One dude in this draft- who was live- apparently lost his mind drafting 3 QB's (Mahomes, Wilson, Brady) and 4!! TE (Kelce, Kittle, Njoku, Henry)

2 minutes ago, Sean Mooney said:

I can see that on the receiver thing. I just wanted target machines as I could find them. McLaurin is going to have arguably the best QB he's ever had throwing to him. Cooks is so underrated and gets a ton of play. Mooney will get a ton of looks. Kirk I still hold will get a ton of looks on a bad team. At the 2nd round the receivers who went right after Barkley were Lamb, Evans, Hill, Samuel. I was hoping AJ Brown might fall to me after taking Fournette in the 3rd but he went before me in the 4th. 

I get it, but I probably would have gone hill in 2, and I have no issue with Fournette in 3.

just not a huge mclaurin fan, and don’t think fields will produce enough as a passer. 

in the past I have liked cooks… don’t not want much to do with Texans this year 

5 minutes ago, Sean Mooney said:

One dude in this draft- who was live- apparently lost his mind drafting 3 QB's (Mahomes, Wilson, Brady) and 4!! TE (Kelce, Kittle, Njoku, Henry)

Auto pick?  Might just have been how his rankings laid out

1 minute ago, Bier Meister said:

Auto pick?  Might just have been how his rankings laid out

No he was there online in the room drafting.

1 minute ago, Bier Meister said:

I get it, but I probably would have gone hill in 2, and I have no issue with Fournette in 3.

just not a huge mclaurin fan, and don’t think fields will produce enough as a passer. 

in the past I have liked cooks… don’t not want much to do with Texans this year 

Cooks and Kirk fill the same bill for me. Guys who are going to get a lot of targets on a bad team that will be chasing points late. Tons of throwing. 

Also, I just think the WR position is so deep this year and has so many guys who get a lot of targets. Look at all the guys projected to get over 100 targets. The number is huge. 

1 minute ago, Sean Mooney said:

No he was there online in the room drafting.

Cooks and Kirk fill the same bill for me. Guys who are going to get a lot of targets on a bad team that will be chasing points late. Tons of throwing. 

I understand the benefits of playing catch-up for qbs/wrs.  I don’t like relying  on it.

Hopefully Henry was gone when you picked Ekeler, otherwise you passed on Henry/Fournette/Lamb for Ekeler/Barkley/McLaurin.

5 minutes ago, Sean Mooney said:

Look at all the guys projected to get over 100 targets.

Projections are opinions.

6 minutes ago, Sean Mooney said:

Also, I just think the WR position is so deep this year and has so many guys who get a lot of targets. Look at all the guys projected to get over 100 targets. The number is huge. 

6 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

I understand the benefits of playing catch-up for qbs/wrs.  I don’t like relying  on it.

I was just checking last years game logs for all of the players you and I batting around. 

hills. Waddles, d Johnsons are more consistent despite lower targets… higher floor. 

i typically am a big slot receiver guy.  I try to grab many slots, with a few big play guys.

I had a lot of shares of kupp, thielen, renfrow, Lockett, etc.

10 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Hopefully Henry was gone when you picked Ekeler, otherwise you passed on Henry/Fournette/Lamb for Ekeler/Barkley/McLaurin.

Yet I got Fournette anyway...and I don't think there ends up being much of a difference between Lamb and McLaurin at year end. And Henry went 6th. I like Ekeler more. Better for PPR, Better offense, better offensive line 

Ekeler/Barkley/Fournette is easily the best running back trio of any team in the league. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sean Mooney said:

and I don't think there ends up being much of a difference between Lamb and McLaurin at year end.

O...  kay...

lol

7 minutes ago, Sean Mooney said:

And Henry went 6th.

ERROR!

Better luck next year!

1 minute ago, AxeElf said:

O...  kay...

lol

ERROR!

Better luck next year!

How many fantasy points do you think separate Lamb and McLaurin at year's end. 

21 minutes ago, Sean Mooney said:

How many fantasy points do you think separate Lamb and McLaurin at year's end. 

Half-PPR?

Well, Lamb earned 1.8 more fantasy points per game than McLaurin did last year, so that would make the difference 30.6 over 17 games.  But given that Lamb's targets will probably increase this season, while McLaurin will likely receive a smaller share of his own team's targets, we can probly safely double that.

And then double it again, just to piss you off.

Neither one was worth a start weeks 15-18 last season, only league I own Lamb , he was on the bench , he’s over rated imo. 

Gallup once he’s ready will record the higher per game avg off all three of them. Great value   

I'm a Lamb dynasty investor so I watch him fairly closely.  I have to say I absolutely hate his body language during games.  But he's still going to take it score Mclaurin

11 hours ago, AxeElf said:

Half-PPR?

Well, Lamb earned 1.8 more fantasy points per game than McLaurin did last year, so that would make the difference 30.6 over 17 games.  But given that Lamb's targets will probably increase this season, while McLaurin will likely receive a smaller share of his own team's targets, we can probly safely double that.

And then double it again, just to piss you off.

So you are in for 61.2 points? Cool.

14 hours ago, Sean Mooney said:

That’s not a real league. It’s a joke. 5 bucks? 

Draft #4 on the year. This draft is a bit of a pain because I am always away for Labor Day weekend and they do a hybrid live/online draft. So dude's are in person and then me and 2 other guys are online. It is a 10 team league where you start a: QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, TE, K, DEF, 7 IDPs (3 of which are DBs). Also, it is a 25 man roster. Additionally, QB's are weighted at 6 points per touchdown and the IDPs carry 1.5 points per tackle, .5 for a TFL, 5 for a sack, 5 for a Pick/Fumble recovery, and you get return yards on those turnover things. So the strategy here is way different and QB's and IDPs fly quickly off the board. 

QB- Lamar Jackson (6th), Trey Lance (17th)

WR- Mike Evans (3rd), Mike Williams (4th), Diontae Johnson (5th), Darnell Mooney (13th), Nico Collins (19th), Treylon Burks (22nd), 

RB- CMC (1st), Barkley (2nd), Harris (14th), Patterson (15th)

TE- Dallas Goedert (12th), Cole Kmet (18th)

K- Matt Prater (25th)

DEF- Washington (24th)

IDP- Fred Warner (7th), Kyzir White (8th), Xavier McKinney (9th), Marlon Humphrey (10th), Jamal Adams (11th), Shaq Thompson (16th), Justin Reid (20th), Lewis Cine (21st), Devin Lloyd (23rd)

Surprised Lewis Cine went before Devin Lloyd.  A backup safety versus a 3 down middle linebacker?

1 hour ago, nobody said:

Surprised Lewis Cine went before Devin Lloyd.  A backup safety versus a 3 down middle linebacker?

Needed a safety more than anything. I was surprised Lloyd was there though considering how many LBs had come off the board at that point. 

And really by that point most of the DBs worth anything were long gone. 

34 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Ah, the intricate strategizing of an 8-Kicker league...

Yeah there is a strategy deeply involved in when you start drafting IDPs in this league versus the 4th and 5th running back or 5th receiver.... but you've established many times you don't understand things outside of the comfort zone leagues you've parked yourself in. 

1 hour ago, AxeElf said:

Ah, the intricate strategizing of an 8-Kicker league...

IDP shouldn't really be that complicated, but there aren't enough sites and articles with the paint by numbers out there yet, so you see things like Lewis Cine going before Devin Lloyd in fantasy drafts, and those types of inefficiencies are highly exploitable.  

Shìt, last year people were drafting Jaylon Smith as a top linebacker until about week 3 of preseason.  All anyone had to do was read a few articles to realize he was losing his job, but because IDP is still the wild west, no one seemed to know.  That's part of the appeal for me.  You actually have to follow football to the know the defensive players.  No one is doing the work for you like they do on the offensive side of the ball.

1 hour ago, nobody said:

IDP shouldn't really be that complicated, but there aren't enough sites and articles with the paint by numbers out there yet, so you see things like Lewis Cine going before Devin Lloyd in fantasy drafts, and those types of inefficiencies are highly exploitable.  

Shìt, last year people were drafting Jaylon Smith as a top linebacker until about week 3 of preseason.  All anyone had to do was read a few articles to realize he was losing his job, but because IDP is still the wild west, no one seemed to know.  That's part of the appeal for me.  You actually have to follow football to the know the defensive players.  No one is doing the work for you like they do on the offensive side of the ball.

Again let me reiterate- we start 7 IDPs a week. Essentially 4 LBs and 3 DBs. I always try to carry 8 or 9 defensive players so I do not have to drop people that are a part of my team unless I really need to. Cine was essentially a dart throw that he will work his way into being the starter by the time I will need him. If he doesn't- then I switch him out. But on most any week he isn't cracking my lineup ahead of McKinney/Humphrey/Adams/Reid. 

I grabbed Cine to fill the position out and then was looking and thought "Wait- Devin Lloyd is still there? I'll snap him up."

1 hour ago, nobody said:

You actually have to follow football to the know the defensive players.

Sort of like saying that you really have to follow football to know your Kickers in an 8-kicker league.

8 minutes ago, Sean Mooney said:

Yep...just criticize anything outside of your comfort zone. 

This will be useful for anyone who has the same comfort zone as Axe Elf--winning.

3 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

This will be useful for anyone who has the same comfort zone as Axe Elf--winning.

You have a bunch of dopes you play leagues against and are afraid for some real challenges. You ducked it here and at another board. Plus you are locked into the leagues you know rather than branching out or even entertaining a league that might have a break from any kind of conventional wisdom.

I get it...different is harder. 

Just now, Sean Mooney said:

You have a bunch of dopes you play leagues against and are afraid for some real challenges. You ducked it here and at another board. Plus you are locked into the leagues you know rather than branching out or even entertaining a league that might have a break from any kind of conventional wisdom.

I get it...different is harder.

You clearly have Axe Elf confused with someone else.

I don't play in the same leagues from year to year, and the leagues I do join are typically "Rubik's Leagues" of some sort, with unusual lineup requirements or scoring rules that require the development of unique drafting and management strategies.

See my posts in the "Axe Elf's 2022 Drafts" thread for further exposition.

You are correct that the Mike Tyson of fantasy football does not rise to the challenge of every loudmouth in the bar who wants to make a name for himself by calling out a legend.  That said, there has been no valid challenge league formed on this board to even be accused of ducking.  The only one who's tailtucked here was the one who was so sure that IDPs required early draft picks--until a bet was proposed.

4 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

You are correct that the Mike Tyson of fantasy football does not rise to the challenge of every loudmouth in the bar who wants to make a name for himself by calling out a legend.  That said, there has been no valid challenge league formed on this board to even be accused of ducking.  The only one who's tailtucked here was the one who was so sure that IDPs required early draft picks--until a bet was proposed.

I didn't duck anything. I didn't think it was fair to you because you clearly didn't understand the importance on IDP picks in the league I was discussing. You also clearly didn't, and still don't, understand the idea of IDPs.

It's cool. I don't have to embarrass you on it. You already said Lamb will outscore McLaurin by 62 points on the season and that Derrick Henry will be the top point getter at RB. 

If you really want to handle the IDP stuff then yeah- you wouldn't take them until the last 7 picks I assume so go find an IDP ranking and take off the first 63 ranked IDP players and then pick from that every week. 

Or to be fair- My first LB was Fred Warner. So figure a traditional 2 IDP league- wipe away the first 18 guys and then pick from there the rest of the year. 

8 minutes ago, Sean Mooney said:

I didn't duck anything. I didn't think it was fair to you because you clearly didn't understand the importance on IDP picks in the league I was discussing. You also clearly didn't, and still don't, understand the idea of IDPs.

And yet I offered to place a wager based on my strategy, and your response was a firm tailtuck.  I'll worry about what's fair to me; you just worry about not writing checks with your fingers that your wallet can't cash.

Oh, look who’s in another slap fight.  Give it a rest Mooney. 

10 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

And yet I offered to place a wager based on my strategy, and your response was a firm tailtuck.  I'll worry about what's fair to me; you just worry about not writing checks with your fingers that your wallet can't cash.

Because I'm not sending money, or my shoot name, to a person over the Internet. I'm a man of my word and offered to allow you to pick my screen name on here for 10 months should I lose if I was afforded the same courtesy. Your response was that "The name Axe Elf is too valuable." :rolleyes:

7 minutes ago, Sean Mooney said:

Because I'm not sending money, or my shoot name, to a person over the Internet. I'm a man of my word and offered to allow you to pick my screen name on here for 10 months should I lose if I was afforded the same courtesy. Your response was that "The name Axe Elf is too valuable." :rolleyes:

So I said I'd do it for free, just so future generations would have an empirical test of the theory that IDPs should be selected in the final rounds.

Still waiting for your list of 18 IDPs that are off limits to me for the year.

Draft #5.. This was an auction league with a QB, 2 WR, 2 RB, TE, FLEX, K, DEF, and only 4 bench spots. Heavy PPR league

I'll be very up front. I am not in love with how this one turned out. Another guy and I in this league were away with our families and were drinking heavily all day long. I also did the draft on my phone so I definitely did some things I would not normally do or didn't bid enough at times because I kept getting distracted.... A bunch of beer, 2 wine slushies, and multiple Fireball shots will do that to a person.

QB- Jalen Hurts ($10)

WR- AJ Brown ($35), DJ Moore ($25), Amon Ra- St. Brown ($8), Mike Williams ($22), Darnell Mooney ($13)

RB- Saquon Barkley ($45), Corrdarrelle Patterson ($13), Devin Singletary ($5)

TE- Zach Ertz ($6), Cole Kmet ($5)

K- Jake Elliott ($1)

DEF- Washington ($1)

Ugh....Got some work to do on the waiver wire this year- good news is the rosters turn over quickly with the small benches. But seriously- don't drink and draft everyone. 

9 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

So I said I'd do it for free, just so future generations would have an empirical test of the theory that IDPs should be selected in the final rounds.

Still waiting for your list of 18 IDPs that are off limits to me for the year.

Additionally- again- leagues vary. If you would be waiting to take your defensive players in the league I play with IDPs in you would be losing like the top 50-60 defensive players which is giving up a lot of points over the course of the season.

Either way- so top 18 I see look to be some mish mash of:

Roquan Smith

Bobby Wagner

Jordyn Brooks

Devin White

De'Vondre Campbell

Derwin James

Eric Kendricks

Shaq Leonard

Fred Warner

Myles Garrett

Foye Oluokun

Logan Wilson

TJ Watt

Micah Parsons

Jamal Adams

CJ Mosley

Jordan Poyer

Nick Bosa

58 minutes ago, Sean Mooney said:

Additionally- again- leagues vary. If you would be waiting to take your defensive players in the league I play with IDPs in you would be losing like the top 50-60 defensive players which is giving up a lot of points over the course of the season.

In case you've forgotten, the bet was originally proposed in response to a question about when to draft IDPs in a league that starts 2.  So the whole discussion of the top 50-60 is just a moving of the goalposts.

I will also require a list of the top 10 projected non-excluded IDPs using your scoring system each week, from which to make my selections.

1 minute ago, AxeElf said:

In case you've forgotten, the bet was originally proposed in response to a question about when to draft IDPs in a league that starts 2.  So the whole discussion of the top 50-60 is just a moving of the goalposts.

I will also require a list of the top 10 projected non-excluded IDPs using your scoring system each week, from which to make my selections.

I didn't move the goalposts...I just stated what it would be in this league but said we'd do a standard IDP thing. 

So I'm clear- you want the top 10 projected IDP guys every week that are not excluded? 

4 minutes ago, Sean Mooney said:

I didn't move the goalposts...I just stated what it would be in this league but said we'd do a standard IDP thing. 

So I'm clear- you want the top 10 projected IDP guys every week that are not excluded? 

That's what I would do if I were in a league of that kind.  I don't pay attention to who is who or on what teams or whatever, I just look at which free agents are projected for the highest points that week, maybe adjust my preference a little for teams/matchups that I prefer or disdain, and away we go.

Will I score MORE points than you?  I honestly don't know.  I do believe I can stay close enough to you to justify the conservation of draft capital represented by taking 2 IDPs last.

Are you going to have 2 IDPs that you ride or die every week, or like a roster of 4 from which you start 2 each week?