Sign in to follow this  
mmmmm...beer

He's my special boy!

Hard day for me fellas.  Today I drop my first born off at MEPs.   He's heading to Lackland in San Antonio for basic training. 

I know many of you have already been through this and we've several empty nesters, but man... this sucks. 😕

Four year initial hitch the Space Force.  7.5 weeks in Texas and then another 14 weeks for tech school in southern Cali.

I'm super happy for him and I think he's going to do well.  He likes structure.  He was a really smart kid.  AP in high school, but just didn't want to go to college right away.   Got a 93 on his asvab and they told him he could go into anything he wanted in the military.  Space Force appealed to him.

But a I'm super sad to have him so far away from me.

My heart is heavy but my soul is light.   I think we've prepared him the best we could.  Just him leaving our protection... Rough.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have a friend that got the "do anything you want score" and went into satellite communication in the Army. She could tell me zero about what she did, which I respect. Very glad your son has what it takes to contribute at that level. 

• Like 1

Congrats, it was going to happen someday at least he has a bright future ahead of him.

• Like 1

Best wishes to him and you. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

What could he be doing in Space Force? I’m curious what they all do. 

I wanted him to snag "Intelligence", but instead he got "Space Systems Operations".  So essentially they oversee missle/rocket deployments ("Houston come in" type stuff), monitor for incoming missiles, and oversee our military satellites.

2 minutes ago, mmmmm...beer said:

I wanted him to snag "Intelligence", but instead he got "Space Systems Operations".  So essentially they oversee missle/rocket deployments ("Houston come in" type stuff), monitor for incoming missiles, and oversee our military satellites.

Sounds pretty awesome to be honest. Also sounds like it could be stressful. 

6 minutes ago, avoiding injuries said:

Successful kids are a product of good parenting. Nice work. 

Usually, but in Beer's case I am guessing it was pure dumb luck.

• Haha 2

Dropped my 18 yr old daughter at campus about a week ago.  She and I are super tight, so it’s painful to be away from her.  You have my sympathy.  Be proud, though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hawkeye21 said:

What could he be doing in Space Force? I’m curious what they all do. 

I work with Space Force alot.  They handle a lot of what we do with satellites.

13 minutes ago, nobody said:

Seems like a cool profession. 

My son recently finished five years in the AF.  Finished his degree in Health Car Administration.   Other than basic training, mainting some weapon proficiency, and the occasional exercise he didnt do a ton of "military" type stuff.  He started applying for jobs last week and already has two offers.

Thanks to your son for his service.

Most importantly, have you made your arrangements to attend grad cermonies? Some of the proudest moments of my life.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You made a productive human!!  Congrats!!  Keep him away from the geek bored.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, mmmmm...beer said:

I trained for that back in the 80s. 

• Haha 4

33 minutes ago, patweisers44 said:

My son recently finished five years in the AF.  Finished his degree in Health Car Administration.   Other than basic training, mainting some weapon proficiency, and the occasional exercise he didnt do a ton of "military" type stuff.  He started applying for jobs last week and already has two offers.

Thanks to your son for his service.

Most importantly, have you made your arrangements to attend grad cermonies? Some of the proudest moments of my life.

Yeah we have to get his exact grad date but we're heading down for sure.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nobody said:

As you work in the field, decent opportunities afterward in the civilian sector?

2 hours ago, MLCKAA said:

Dropped my 18 yr old daughter at campus about a week ago.  She and I are super tight, so it’s painful to be away from her.  You have my sympathy.  Be proud, though.

Yeah me and the boy are close.  Gonna miss my gaming/movie buddy and lifting partner.

37 minutes ago, mmmmm...beer said:

As you work in the field, decent opportunities afterward in the civilian sector?

Focking hell yeah.  

• Like 1

You forgot the additional 9 and 1/2 weeks for sensitivity and gender awareness training along with whatever that critical race training is that nobody likes and other woke stuff. But in the end, he'll have badge for wokeness. It'll be rainbow colored of course.

• Haha 1

He's been dropped off... My heart is gone away from me.

It's such a weird duality... I'm crushed my son is gone to serve and soooo happy for him.

I know in a couple days he'll get busy and truck on and we will as well, but for tonight at least.  😭

• Sad 1

28 minutes ago, mmmmm...beer said:

He's been dropped off... My heart is gone away from me.

It's such a weird duality... I'm crushed my son is gone to serve and soooo happy for him.

I know in a couple days he'll get busy and truck on and we will as well, but for tonight at least.  😭

I bet you’re incredibly proud. 

Yeaaaahhhh!!! October is here!  Heading to San Antonio on the 18th...  Can't wait to see him before he ships to Cali. 👍

• Like 1

On 10/3/2022 at 3:24 PM, TommyGavin said:

Cool. I still have my boys home. 

Relish it man... The inner Daddy in me wants him to be chilling on my couch for life.  But I know ai'd be telling to get off his ass and get a job if he was here for a "gap year".  But at least he'd still be here.  14 days to go..

Congratulations! So glad you raised a worthwhile son! I hope he’ll be home with you for the holidays.