cmh6476

Top Waiver Wire Pickups for Week 1

Just finished my first draft last night, and there are some dudes out there who may fair well be studs by the end of the year and early draft picks next year.  Who do you think the top ones might be?  Here are some I will have my eye on:

Quarterbacks - 

Jameson Winston - A couple 4k yard seasons under his belt, and a 5k yard season his last year in TB back in 2019, where his highest TD total for a season was 33.  However, he also had 30 INTs that year so might have been more a product of them sucking and chucking.  Still lots of potential for him with Kamara out of the backfield, perhaps a healthy Michael Thomas back, a rookie everyone seems to be raving about in Olave, and then others with NFL experience in Landry, Smith and Callaway.

Jared Goff - I could see him being fantasy relevant again.  Hos best season was in 2018 where he passed for almost 4,700 yards and had 32 TDs.  St. Brown looks to be the real deal, at some point you hope Jameson Williams is on the field, a good TE in Hockensen, pass catching RB in Swift, and guys like Chark and Reynolds with NFL experience.

Other names I'm seeing out there being Ryan, Mariota, Tannehill, Dan Jones, Mac Jones, Wentz, Mills, Mayfield, Lock/ Smith & Pickett.  My only rostered QB is Cousins, and that makes me nervous so I'll be watching the position closely.

Running Backs -

The starters went, a lot of handcuffs went, and then your guys like McKinnon, McKissick where you kind of have a feel for the role they'll have unless injuries upset a team's structure is what's left.  There's a couple rookies floating out there that could surprise if they end up in an opportunity to produce like Isaiah Spiller, Tyler Allgeier, Rachaad White & Zamir White.  Heck even further down the list is Isaiah Pacheco, who I know really does probably have a shot at contributing for the Chiefs this year if things fall his way.

Wide Receivers -

Kenny Golladay - been waiting on this dude to do something since 2019

Corey Davis or Elijah Moore - no one really seems to want any Jets, still

Mecole Hardman - surprised no one took a chance on him in a local league

Van Jefferson - for some reason I have more faith in him than I do Allen Robinson

Romeo Doubs - He's one I would probably swap out Jakobi Myers for right now, but my WR2 is Lazzard and I don't want to be that invested in one team at the position

Treylon Burks - also just hanging out there

People are also sleeping on Skyy Moore, and there's a few others out there I'm likely missing who will be fantasy relevant.

Also, Nick Folk & Patriots D

Of that list- just a hunch but I think Tyler Allegier wins the starting spot in Atlanta by like week 6. They seem to be running a bit of a committee down there for some reason but I can see Allegier being their main back with Patterson being used as a swiss-army-back type guy. Run out of the slot, some 2 RB formations and all that.

WR- Corey Davis feels real undervalued. The big thing with him is injury history but he has some decent target share with Zach Wilson and the fact that Elijah Moore is going so much higher than Davis ADP wise feels ridiculous on its surface. 

R White and Z White.  

If you only have Cousins I'd take a hard look at Winston. He has a better WR group this year. Best QB on that list. Four of the first 5 games are ATL, CAR, MIN, SEA. The other is their rival TAM who they always play tough against. That's a pretty good starting schedule for him. 

3 hours ago, cmh6476 said:

Other names I'm seeing out there being Ryan, Mariota, Tannehill, Dan Jones, Mac Jones, Wentz, Mills, Mayfield, Lock/ Smith & Pickett.

So basically any QB not in the top 20 is someone to watch, as they could possibly become top 20.  That's helpful.

2 hours ago, Serenity Now said:

Some 49ers rb will be near the top of waivers after week 1.

His name is Trey Sermon, if you want to beat the rush.

25 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Damien Williams will be a hot waiver wire pickup after Week 1 as well.

In a 12 plus team league, he should be drafted.  He’s a late round target for me.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AxeElf said:

So basically any QB not in the top 20 is someone to watch, as they could possibly become top 20.  That's helpful.

which is why I listed two I think will be most likely options

Elijah Moore shouldn't' be on waivers in 12 team leagues.

22 minutes ago, jrokh said:

Elijah Moore shouldn't' be on waivers in 12 team leagues.

he was drafted, Davis was not.

4 hours ago, AxeElf said:

Can't make this stuff up...🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

By week six the Niners rb will be T Price.   And the Price is right.  

Thanks. 

5 hours ago, AxeElf said:

May want to rethink that one.  Sermon cut.

Corey Davis

Romeo Doubs

I've got to figure out who to cut so I can pick up one of these two in the order listed above.

1 hour ago, jrokh said:

idiot 49er's forgot to ask the elf

1 hour ago, cavern said:

idiot 49er's forgot to ask the elf

They forgot to axe Peter King; the Elf linked his article declaring Sermon the #2 in SF a couple of days ago.

And I immediately called peter king high for thinking that.  I wonder why Axe believed it.

To be fair, there was praise about Sermon coming out of the 49ers’ camp. So he might get a shot elsewhere or find his way back to the practice squad. He lasted one cut longer than Hasty.

Funny guys here all listing drafted players!    LOL

I got one for you:   WR  Kyle Phillips!

You're welcome!   

How many ff  points do you think Phillips will score week one? 

I like those, add Jalen Tolbert as the cowboys will have to keep pace with the Bucs, and I don't think that they are going to be able to run the ball.

36 minutes ago, rallo said:

I like those, add Jalen Tolbert as the cowboys will have to keep pace with the Bucs

Unfortunately, Tolbert will probably function as a 5th receiving option behind Lamb, Gallup or Brown (depending on if Gallup plays Week 1), Schultz and possibly even Zeke.

I doubt if Tolbert gets enough action to be a top waiver wire pickup after Week 1.  More likely anyone who threw a dart at him in Week 1 will be dropping him for an actual top waiver wire pickup.

57 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Unfortunately, Tolbert will probably function as a 5th receiving option behind Lamb, Gallup or Brown (depending on if Gallup plays Week 1), Schultz and possibly even Zeke.

I doubt if Tolbert gets enough action to be a top waiver wire pickup after Week 1.  More likely anyone who threw a dart at him in Week 1 will be dropping him for an actual top waiver wire pickup.

Gallup and Brown are a a risky prop bets... now if you told me Pollard, I would bite. 

All could be moot if TB has their way with that Dallas O-line

On 8/31/2022 at 2:52 PM, jrokh said:

Then picked up by the Eagles.  Still will not want him after week 1, unless there is some major injuries on my team and on the eagles.

On 8/31/2022 at 12:59 PM, AxeElf said:

Good call. Sermon was cut 

10 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Good call. Sermon was cut 

Where the news comes first.  

57 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Good call. Sermon was cut signed by the Eagles.

FTFY

12 hours ago, LaChup said:

Talk about buyer's remorse. Week 1 waiver wire pickups is not a good sign.

depends on who you are dropping.

if its some guy you took in the last or second last round of your draft.....  probably no biggie.   There are good players that sometimes slip through the draft that should be rostered (especially if people are drinking at the draft)  so I think there is value in scouring the wire to see if something is there for you.

12 hours ago, LaChup said:

Nah, some late round picks are nothing more than lotto tickets RBs. I don't see any problem with being active on the WW early and often

37 minutes ago, gcmmidwest said:

I expect Aj Green & Randall Cobb to put up acceptable #'s week 1

Acceptable as long as they're on my opponents' rosters.

26 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Acceptable as long as they're on my opponents' rosters.

Guess you enjoy losing 

53 minutes ago, gcmmidwest said:

Guess you enjoy losing 

As long as it's my opponents doing it.

Another thing to consider is who are the guys that will be dropped early that will eventually pan out a few weeks later?  Recent examples the past few years are Pittman and J. Jefferson. My money is on Doubs this year. 

T Davis-Price, and C Watson.  Players that will be dropped early , and than pan out.  

On 9/5/2022 at 7:27 PM, LaChup said:

It depends - a guy gets hurt or your Mr Irrelevant was a close call … in my keeper league picked up Corral and stashed him on IR. The draft is only the beginning ….

On 9/1/2022 at 9:45 AM, weepaws said:

How many ff  points do you think Phillips will score week one? 

I dunno.  Maybe 10.  He was the leading receiver for the Titans.   Not bad for his first ever NFL game and someone that NOBODY drafted!!