Sign in to follow this  
AxeElf

College Football 2022

I mentioned this last year, but again I have to give kudos to the athletic departments of these college teams that are willing to schedule significant games right out of the gate!

Yeah, we used to get "real" college football a week before we got "real" pro football, but it was always something like Oklahoma beating Bethune-Cookman 77-3 or the like.

The Nebraska-Northwestern game in Dublin on Saturday was a credible kickoff to the season, but the Pittsburgh-West Virginia game tonight was like having a bowl game to kick off the season!  The Daytona 500 of college football!

It was the first "Backyard Brawl" since the Big East Conference dissolved 11 years ago, and it did not disappoint!

I won't say more in case others have recorded it or something, but man, I cannot WAIT for pro football to start--but this was an oasis of football in the NFL desert.

And this WV WR, Bryce Ford-Wheaton, looks like a Future Stud Alert in the making...

I"m excited for tomorrow nights OSU - Notre Dame game!   That's a huge match up for week 1!   I hope my Buckeyes can pull off a win!  Hopefully, Knowles got that defense rockin!!   

3 hours ago, Maulers1973 said:

I"m excited for tomorrow nights OSU - Notre Dame game!   That's a huge match up for week 1!   I hope my Buckeyes can pull off a win!  Hopefully, Knowles got that defense rockin!!   

Haven't even looked at the weekend schedule yet, but yeah, that looks like a good one too.

The undefeated Kansas Jayhawks defeat the previously-undefeated Duke Blue Devils--and it wasn't in basketball!

This game probably cemented Jalon Daniels as a dark horse Heisman candidate--19/23 for 324 yards, 4 TDs, no INTs; 11 carries for 83 yards and a TD.

KU 4-0 with wins over West Virginia and Houston too!

3 hours ago, AxeElf said:

The undefeated Kansas Jayhawks defeat the previously-undefeated Duke Blue Devils--and it wasn't in basketball!

This game probably cemented Jalon Daniels as a dark horse Heisman candidate--19/23 for 324 yards, 4 TDs, no INTs; 11 carries for 83 yards and a TD.

KU 4-0 with wins over West Virginia and Houston too!

WTF?!  I grew up in KS. Went to KU. Graduated from UMKC.

4 hours ago, AxeElf said:

This game probably cemented Jalon Daniels as a dark horse Heisman candidate-

Please, that guy has as much chance of winning the Heisman as I do...

2 hours ago, jrokh said:

Please, that guy has as much chance of winning the Heisman as I do...

If you lead Kansas to an undefeated National Championship too, I think that's fair.

37 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

If you lead Kansas to an undefeated National Championship too, I think that's fair.

Kind of like Graham Mertz?

What a great day for Kansas football!  KU, which hasn't won 4 games in a SEASON since 2009, defeat the 3-0 Duke Blue Devils to go to 4-0 (I'm sure they're partying on Mass St. as if it was basketball season!)--and then K-State turns around from their disappointing loss to Tulane to go into Norman and beat the 6th-ranked Sooners--for the third time in their last four meetings!

This game probably cemented Adrian Martinez as a dark horse Heisman candidate.

It's some kind of universal symmetry that the two Big 12 teams that upset Big 12 traitors Texas and Oklahoma last week--Texas Tech and Kansas State--meet in Big 12 action at Bill Snyder stadium this week.

Can't wait for the Red River Irrelevancy next week...

On 9/24/2022 at 10:34 PM, AxeElf said:

That 3 game stretch of Oklahoma, Baylor, Oklahoma State will put an end to that

KU and K-State combined 9-1, holding down the top two spots in the Big 12 Conference!

KU's loss of RB Daniel Hishaw to what appeared to be a serious knee injury was not insignificant, however.

Don't really care about the baseball play, but the one-handed catch in the end zone rivals OBJ's one-hander.

College teams down 19+ points in the 4th quarter this season were 0-129 until tonight, when Big-12 pledge Houston came back for the 33-32 win over Memphis.

Today saw the first October meeting of undefeated teams at Kansas University since 10/1/60.

How is that darkhorse Heisman candidate working for you?

1 hour ago, jrokh said:

How is that darkhorse Heisman candidate working for you?

He had gotten himself into the conversation for sure, but he went out in the first half with an injured shoulder today, and the Jayhawks likely lost because of it.  It remains to be seen how long he will be sidelined.

Which is good; I don't want Kansas being AHEAD of my Wildcats (and Heisman candidate Adrian Martinez), but the other Kansas team can be second in the Big 12, that's awesome.

Also awesome is Oklahoma being held without a TD for the first time since 2009 in the Battle of the Big-12 rejects (the Red River Irrelevancy).

On 9/24/2022 at 10:55 PM, AxeElf said:

Mertz attends Wisconsin.

Nice deflection...you should play DB

On 10/14/2022 at 12:07 AM, AxeElf said:

Every team in the Big 12 Conference is currently at .500 (3-3) overall or better.

I just realized this includes the 4 Big 12 pledge teams--Houston, BYU, Cincinnati and Central Florida--all 14 teams are 3-3 or better.

Tennessee upset Alabama on last second FG 52-49!

This was a barn burner!

The Volunteers are for real! They have big wins over Florida, LSU and now Alabama! It's not like they play in the Pac 12

15 minutes ago, polecatt said:

Tennessee upset Alabama on last second FG 52-49!

This was a barn burner!

The Volunteers are for real! They have big wins over Florida, LSU and now Alabama! It's not like they play in the Pac 12

Their offense is for real, but their secondary doesn't believe in getting within 5 yards of any receiver. 

59 minutes ago, ZeroTolerance said:

Their offense is for real, but their secondary doesn't believe in getting within 5 yards of any receiver. 

I think their biggest issue is kicking. They missed a PAT and the game winning FG, a 40 yard kick barely made it over the crossbar.

They wouldn't be the first team to lose because they don't have a kicker who can consistently hit a mid range FG

Did you see the battle in Dakota, that’s a great rivalry game.  

Just read that So Mississippi was flagged for fighting between teammates. 

I don’t recall that happening before. 

Thanks. 

It's a good day in Kansas, with K-State handling #9 Oklahoma State the way that Trump handled Stormy Daniels. ("I just laid there and prayed for death.")

The Wildcats now have two wins over top 10 teams this year (including #6 Oklahoma) by a combined score of 89-34 (and they had #7 TCU down 28-10 last week).

And oh yeah, they won those games with two different QBs.

I just hope they don't have to face Tulane again...

You kidding me Kstate beat up OU state. Wow.  

7 hours ago, AxeElf said:

Not today, Saban...

Alabama/LSU was the Bills/Chiefs in college!

That loss by Bama all but guarantees a 1 loss Tennessee team to back into the playoffs as the #4 without having to play the extra conference championship game.

3 hours ago, JagFan said:

That loss by Bama all but guarantees a 1 loss Tennessee team to back into the playoffs as the #4 without having to play the extra conference championship game.

Nope.  A 1 loss Pac 12 champ is in before Tenn for sure.

7 minutes ago, Beaker15 said:

Nope.  A 1 loss Pac 12 champ is in before Tenn for sure.

Maybe they should be, but have you paid attention to the college football playoffs prior to this year?  They’ll put the best 4 teams in.  A 2 loss SEC team > an undefeated PAC 12 team…much less a 1 loss PAC 12 team.

Maybe USC could do it, they have the coach/QB that could sway voters, but no one else. Tennessee/LSU/Alabama would crush UCLA or Oregon…

It is not voters who decide the playoff teams.  Herbstreit is pretty good and he says Oregon is his number 4 team as of today.  USC is a pretender and their defense blows.

5 hours ago, JagFan said:

Bingo. OSU/UM winner gets a spot, UGa, Tennessee. TCU gets the 4th if they somehow stay unbeaten. If Oregon wins out they are next in line. Clemson and the UM/OSU loser are long shots. 

1 hour ago, Beaker15 said:

It is not voters who decide the playoff teams.  Herbstreit is pretty good and he says Oregon is his number 4 team as of today.  USC is a pretender and their defense blows.

Actually it is. The playoff committee or BCS or whatever you call them now vote on it, among themselves. That is what I referenced. P.S. Oregon sucks…