Sign in to follow this  
cmh6476

Teams who can draft

3 minutes ago, GobbleDog said:

Clyde Edwards Helaire wants to know who made that chart.

So does Hardman…

From drafts of the past 5 years, 72% of chiefs are still on the roster/ practice squad.   It's obvious they missed on some(ceh over Taylor the most glaring), but the Chiefs are still hitting on their drafts.   It's mind blowing how some of these teams are cutting early picks after just a couple years and gms still keep their jobs. 

This article really does speak to the importance of drafting well.   Building a team through free agency simply doesn't work anymore. 

I wish baseball would follow suit. 

46 minutes ago, cmh6476 said:

Yay, but over 5 years, we're talking about what, an average of 35 players per team and a difference of 7%?  That's a variance of about 2 players, top to bottom.  So kinda random to be drawing any conclusions about drafting excellence.

I would chart the players who are NOT still with the team, and weight them by round--a failed first round pick is 10, 2nd is 8, 3rd is 6, 4th/4, 5th/2, 6th/7th/1.

Highest points loses.

I'd rather see them grade on games started and pro bowls.  I don't really care if a guy whiffs on a 1st rounder if he gets a pro bowler on the 4th.

7th round rookie gets AFC defensive player of the week :banana:

On 9/3/2022 at 1:30 PM, cmh6476 said:

This article really does speak to the importance of drafting well.   Building a team through free agency simply doesn't work anymore. 

I wish baseball would follow suit. 

Tell that to Tampa. 

On 9/4/2022 at 12:33 PM, nobody said:

I'd rather see them grade on games started and pro bowls.  I don't really care if a guy whiffs on a 1st rounder if he gets a pro bowler on the 4th.

its hard to grade this on a level playing field.   but there are some teams that draft well, but then trade or release the player and they go to become a star elsewhere too.

so some of those players on other teams may actually be good draft picks.

I'd also suggest the standard for a successful draft pick is different for a first rounder than it is for a 3rd or 4th rounder.   so this will complicate the formula somewhat.

On the mnf broadcast there was some pretty good info on bills event drafts. 

15 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Tell that to Tampa. 

As you can see from that article, Tampa has drafted very well as of late.  The one swing and miss they had, was huge, but it was at QB.  The team that won the Super Bowl had 4 of 6 WR's, 2 of 3 TE's, 4 of 5 OL, their starting RB, their best run stopping DL, 2 of 4 LB's and their entire secondary were all draft picks.  Of the team that won the Super Bowl, 16 of the 22 starters (36 of the 53 on the roster), were Buccaneers draft picks or undrafted free agent signees.

15 hours ago, Ray_T said:

its hard to grade this on a level playing field.   but there are some teams that draft well, but then trade or release the player and they go to become a star elsewhere too.

so some of those players on other teams may actually be good draft picks.

I'd also suggest the standard for a successful draft pick is different for a first rounder than it is for a 3rd or 4th rounder.   so this will complicate the formula somewhat.

PFF has a WAR value.  If that's a good metric, then fine... I really don't know.  Let's say that it is, for arguments sake.  If we're using that, I'd want to know how many players have a WAR over a certain number.  If the baseline is 2 as being a decent player, (not just a roster holder until next draft), then I'd want to know how many guys that are on each team that are at least 2, then 3, then 4, and so on.  I don't want a total or an average, because those can muddle up the works.  Tampa drafted Vita Vea and Tristan Wirfs, they're two of the best players in the NFL at their position and could raise the value of group to be higher than what it should be.  As @nobody said, I also don't care what round a player was picked in, just pick a good one.  Conversely where I disagree with him on is Pro Bowls.  They are a terrible metric because it's more of a popularity contest than a contest of merit.