Sign in to follow this  
jerryskids

Anyone install a toilet?

I have a new toilet to install, the old one is already removed.  Has anyone installed one?  I've known multiple people say it was the biggest pain in the ass, and they had done a lot of other work in their house.  And when I asked the tile guy to install the new one (tiling is part of our remodel), he said "uhh... for new toilets I like to have my plumber do it, unless you want to do it yourself?"  

What is so hard about it?  :dunno: 

• Like 1

I have no idea what they're talking about. I'm not handy by any means, but installing a toilet is quite simple. Hardest part is making sure you don't screw up the wax seal.

2 minutes ago, Brad GLuckman said:

I have no idea what they're talking about. I'm not handy by any means, but installing a toilet is quite simple. Hardest part is making sure you don't screw up the wax seal.

This

Yep, multiple on my homes. Installing 2 at my mothers house next weekend. Not hard, just a pain in the azz. Replace your water line and shutoff valve when you do it. 

14 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

I have a new toilet to install, the old one is already removed.  Has anyone installed one?  I've known multiple people say it was the biggest pain in the ass, and they had done a lot of other work in their house.  And when I asked the tile guy to install the new one (tiling is part of our remodel), he said "uhh... for new toilets I like to have my plumber do it, unless you want to do it yourself?"  

It's not hard.  They make a larger size wax seal and longer bolts if the tile rose the elevation of the floor.  It sounds like antiquated technology, but, use the wax anyway as all the new stuff is junk.

It's easy just make sure the flange is okay if not replace it. Then it's literally setting the new toilet where the old one was screwing it down put some caulk around it and connecting the water.

It's super easy. Just replace that gummy ring on the bottom while you're at it. It's just a few bolts, pulling it off, replacing the ring and putting in the new toilet. 

55 minutes ago, Brad GLuckman said:

This. I’m incredibly unhandy, but managed to install a new toilet.  Took awhile, but I did it.

1 hour ago, jerryskids said:

First of all, they have a weight limit.

1 hour ago, Brad GLuckman said:

Second of all, this. 

1 minute ago, 5-Points said:

First of all, they have a weight limit.

Second of all, this. 

Can you explain the weight limit, I don't understand.  :cheers:

44 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Can you explain the weight limit, I don't understand.  :cheers:

Well, you see, there is a threshold of allowable pressure upon a toilet, also known as a "crapper" after its inventor Thomas Crapper. When that threshold, or weight limit, is exceeded by an overweight person, let's call them "fatties", it often results in the destruction, or "busting" of said crapper. 

This phenomenon is often referred to as someone being a "Crapper Busting Fatty" or  "CBF" for short and necessitates the replacement of the aforementioned busted crapper. 

:cheers:

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, 5-Points said:

Well, you see, there is a threshold of allowable pressure upon a toilet, also known as a "crapper" after its inventor Thomas Crapper. When that threshold, or weight limit, is exceeded by an overweight person, let's call them "fatties", it often results in the destruction, or "busting" of said crapper. 

This phenomenon is often referred to as someone being a "Crapper Busting Fatty" or  "CBF" for short and necessitates the replacement of the aforementioned busted crapper. 

Science!

2 hours ago, Horseman said:

It's not hard.  They make a larger size wax seal and longer bolts if the tile rose the elevation of the floor.  It sounds like antiquated technology, but, use the wax anyway as all the new stuff is junk.

I used that green silicone type material gasket for my toilets and it works just fine :dunno:

4 minutes ago, Thornton Melon said:

I used that green silicone type material gasket for my toilets and it works just fine :dunno:

I read that bleach and cleaning agent eventualy those down.

Spend the extra money and get the $10 wax ring, not the cheapie $3 one.

Might check with the maintenance guy at Buckingham Palace.  They're saying the queen was on the throne for 70 years.  🤔

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

Pretty simple actually,  and yes try to keep the old wax seal intact. But not a huge deal if you don't. 

If you’re replacing the toilet, replace the wax seal.  They’re like $5 but not sure how bad inflation has hit them 

9 hours ago, 5-Points said:

Well done.

8 hours ago, Drizzay said:

Spend the extra money and get the $10 wax ring, not the cheapie $3 one.

True with about anything, specially home improvements.  If you go with the cheaper option, it will end up costing you more in the long run.  Learned that too many times in my youth

11 hours ago, Brad GLuckman said:

Yeah and here is the important part.  Once you line up the crapper and place it over the seal.,wiggle it slightly and push down, then sit your fat ass on it to spread out the wax..But once you have done that, DONT LIFT IT up to try and reset it or reposition it.  You will break the wax seal and at that point you just better go buy another one.  

7 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

True with about anything, specially home improvements.  If you go with the cheaper option, it will end up costing you more in the long run.  Learned that too many times in my youth

Actually as mentioned above a toilet wax seal is probably the one time that saying is not true.

1 hour ago, Chronic Fockster said:

I installed my balls on utoilet's face :dunno:

Explains why he’s so full of 💩 

2 hours ago, Chronic Fockster said:

I installed my balls on utoilet's face :dunno:

54 minutes ago, OldMaid said:

Explains why he’s so full of 💩 

Warning: Liberal children at work. :lol:

Didn't read the thread. I've changed the toilet handles.  I've changed the toilet seats. I've fixed and or replaced the chain / plastic lever plus bulb that flushes the toilet. 

What I've never done is install a full blown toilet.  That's when I call somebody. 

When I was married to a fatty, she kept breaking the terlet seat. They’d last six months and I’d have to replace them again. So I go to Home Depot and get the big terlet seat. Install it. It was easy peasy. 

Ex-wifey says, that seat is to big! Something’s not right. Me: We’re both a bit heavy so I got the biggest one they had. It was an elongated seat for bigger terlets. Ooops.

On 9/8/2022 at 4:49 PM, jerryskids said:

Not hard at all. Just get a putty knife, make sure the floor where you're gonna set the ring is clean-and then set the toilet (making sure the holes and bolts are lined up) on top of it-piece  of cake!

On 9/8/2022 at 7:07 PM, Horseman said:

This. No trouble at all. 

PLUS, I've installed both one piece and two piece toilets, if you're worried about lifting/putting it into place, a two piece is quite a bit lighter. You can do this, not hard at all.

Yer fockin mom installed my toilet be a fockin man and not a nancy bro wtf

On 9/8/2022 at 7:49 PM, jerryskids said:

Not hard at all.  

Set the wax ring

Set the toliet

Tighten 2 bolts

Attach the tank

Eat a White Castle 30 pack

Christen it