Sign in to follow this  
craftsman

Ron DeSantis sends two planes of illegal immigrants to Martha's Vineyard

3 minutes ago, KSB2424 said:

You could go to the local coffee shop in downtown white America and say:  Who wants a free flight to Martha's Vineyard?  Half the place would raise their hands.  Hearing the words human trafficking and "inhumane" is some the most ridiculous things in the history of the internet.  Some historically liberal posters I have noticed have sat this one out (smart move), others not so much.  We're starting to see a liberal crazy tiered rankings now.  

Well yeah, these people are absolute clowns. None of this is surprising, this is who these people are. 

I'll say it again, you can't reason with these folks. They aren't stable.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Reality said:

Well yeah, these people are absolute clowns. None of this is surprising, this is who these people are. 

I'll say it again, you can't reason with these folks. They aren't stable.

I just miss the times we, both here at the Geek Club, and in the general public argued about things like Social Security, Healthcare, Death Penalty, or Weed.

Now its mutherfocking Fentanyl, child trans, open borders, letting criminals go free, general chaos........ all because of identity politics and complete woke bullshiot.  

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, KSB2424 said:

I just miss the times we, both here at the Geek Club, and in the general public argued about things like Social Security, Healthcare, Death Penalty, or Weed.

Now its mutherfocking Fentanyl, child trans, open borders, letting criminals go free, general chaos........ all because of identity politics and complete woke bullshiot.  

Agreed 100%. The world has gone insane.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KSB2424 said:

progress!!! youre just not progressive enough man. 

16 hours ago, jerryskids said:

As a person who lives in a border state and who knows many legal immigrants, my personal experience is that they tend to be among the biggest opponents of illegal immigration.  That being said I can't say that I personally know anyone who recently changed from illegal to legal, and I can see that they may have a different opinion.

That maybe true, I don't live on the border and my contact with legal and illegal immigrants is limited. But in this case these people were here legally, seeking asylum, they did not secretly sneak into the country. 

Florida Paid over $12K for Each Migrant Flown to Martha's Vineyard: Records

Florida spent $615,000 to fly nearly 50 migrants to Martha's Vineyard under a relocation program championed by Governor Ron DeSantis as an innovative response to federal immigration policy that was denounced by critics as a cruel political maneuver.

The Florida Department of Transportation, according to records posted online, paid Vertol Systems Company Inc. state funds on September 8 to fly men, women and children—many seeking asylum from Venezuela—to the upscale Massachusetts vacation enclave. As records of the transaction are released, questions remain after their surprise arrival in Martha's Vineyard on Wednesday.

The number of transported migrants has been reported as around 50, with the Tampa Bay Times putting the number at exactly 48. Figures range from $12,812.50 to $12,300 per migrant that was paid out of a $12 million fund to relocate unauthorized immigrants from Florida.

Today's costs for flights from San Antonio.

United

$247

round trip

JetBlueAmerican

$248

round trip

JetBlueAmerican

$257

round trip

American

$263

round trip

Shrewd businessman that Ron DeSantis.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

That maybe true, I don't live on the border and my contact with legal and illegal immigrants is limited. But in this case these people were here legally, seeking asylum, they did not secretly sneak into the country. 

Oh man...I tried to discuss the asylum stuff the other day and people's heads melted down because their brain capacity couldn't handle it.

Good luck to you trying that route as well. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Sean Mooney said:

Oh man...I tried to discuss the asylum stuff the other day and people's heads melted down because their brain capacity couldn't handle it.

It's too bad the 1500's Native Americans didn't have stronger immigration policies.  

26 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

16 minutes ago, Sean Mooney said:

Was your big brain able to explain that "legal asylum" includes sheltering in the first country you enter until your asylum claim is vetted and approved?  Which would then render any discussion of these people being "legally" in the US seeking asylum moot?     Because you are stroking yourself pretty hard about how savvy you are about immigration law but you somehow managed to miss that point.    

• Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

When seeking asylum, one is required to do so in the first safe country they come to. You don't get to walk through safe countries until you get to the U.S. before claiming to be seeking asylum. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Masshole said:

Was your big brain able to explain that "legal asylum" includes sheltering in the first country you enter until your asylum claim is vetted and approved?  Which would then render any discussion of these people being "legally" in the US seeking asylum moot?     Because you are stroking yourself pretty hard about how savvy you are about immigration law but you somehow managed to miss that point.    

Beat me to it.  :thumbsup:

Just now, 5-Points said:

Beat me to it.  :thumbsup:

Great minds think alike.    👊 

22 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

It's too bad the 1500's Native Americans didn't have stronger immigration policies.  

True, but you cannot accuse them of racism so they won, I guess.... 😕

23 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

you should march against the UK then.  the US didnt exist yet.

12 minutes ago, Masshole said:

Yeah I'd be mad too if I had a little brain like you. 

31 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

They would have but smallpox wiped out 90% of their population before they could do anything about the immigrants so they never got the chance. . .

1 minute ago, Masshole said:

They would have but smallpox wiped out 90% of their population before they could do anything about the immigrants so they never got the chance. . .

We should give the land back eh? But to which tribe exactly? They were always fighting and taking each others land, not that it was rare since that was transpiring for thousands of years....how far back do we go in order to decide who owns what?

23 minutes ago, Masshole said:

This is inaccurate. There’s nothing in the 1951 or 1967 UN agreements saying refugees need to stop in the first safe country. Here is a summary of the UN agreements:

https://www.unhcr.org/en-us/about-us/background/4ec262df9/1951-convention-relating-status-refugees-its-1967-protocol.html

And some info addressing points similar to the one you raised about the first safe country:

https://fullfact.org/immigration/refugees-first-safe-country/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, dogcows said:

This is inaccurate. There’s nothing in the 1951 or 1967 UN agreements saying refugees need to stop in the first safe country. Here is a summary of the UN agreements:

https://www.unhcr.org/en-us/about-us/background/4ec262df9/1951-convention-relating-status-refugees-its-1967-protocol.html

And some info addressing points similar to the one you raised about the first safe country:

Hey look- when you have to buy Internet time at the local library you've only got so much time and you can't waste it looking at stuff on Google that might make you smarter. Masshole has made his choice. 

23 minutes ago, RLLD said:

True, but you cannot accuse them of racism so they won, I guess.... 😕

I just know they were nice to my great-great-great-great(not sure how many greats need to get to the 2nd Mayflower ship) grandparents, based purely on the fact that I'm a living decedent.  Admittedly, that's anecdotal evidence.  :)  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

I just know they were nice to my great-great-great-great(not sure how many greats need to get to the 2nd Mayflower ship) grandparents, based purely on the fact that I'm a living decedent.  Admittedly, that's anecdotal evidence.  :)  

Tangential, but do you have a favorite Native tribe? I love many of them, but for me its the Comanche.....love those fockers... 

1 hour ago, Sean Mooney said:

When you discuss the asylum stuff don’t leave out it’s being abused, serving as an excuse to label them not illegals. The asylum process wasn’t meant for this, nor for hundreds of thousands of them at once. But you get to claim it. That’s because you’ll accept anything they tell you  at face value.  They know what they’re doing playing games with the process. And you eat it up. 

• Like 1

Link

Class action lawsuit filed against DeSantis on behalf of migrants brought to Massachusetts

I wonder if the defense on this could use the fact the the federal government was doing this for months?  No matter, now would be the time to send twice as many....bring the point home more emphatically to the people who can no longer pretend this away. 

Same crew that uses the Covid emergency act as an excuse to pay off student loans use the asylum process as an end around to let people by the hundreds of thousands in here. And they don’t even confirm who they are. Here’s your notice to appear, but if you don’t show up, we won’t go looking for you or deport you if you don’t show up. It’s an emergency! Stay here and we’ll get you amnesty some day. 

1 minute ago, RLLD said:

Tangential, but do you have a favorite Native tribe? I love many of them, but for me its the Comanche.....love those fockers... 

You know, until you just asked this, I didn't realize just how little I have learned about the Natives to this country. It's a topic I'm extremely ignorant on(every please enjoy that softball). Just downloaded a book about Frank Abagnale(claims that his biggest con was convincing everyone that he was a big-time conman) and another on The Battle of Thermopylae, that offers a less romanticized "300" exploration on what happened. I'm taking a break from the Dresden Files series

But you peaked my interest, so I'll have to see what's available to read---see if I can get a 30,000 foot overview look if possible on the different people who were here before us.

Great tangential question, maybe in a few months I'll be able to answer it.   Thx for the idea.  :thumbsup:

36 minutes ago, dogcows said:

OK, I don't really have time to get into the minutiae of US immigration law.    But it's not necessary anyway because logic torpedoes your argument just fine.    Here's how:

If you are a refugee seeking asylum from torture, imprisonment, etc. - why would it be essential that you land in the US?    Wouldn't getting out of the country that is going to persecute you and into a "safe" country solve that issue and therefore remove your case to seek asylum somewhere else?   Why is it that these refugees are only "safe" from persecution if they land in the US?    

40 minutes ago, Masshole said:

38 minutes ago, RLLD said:

We should give the land back eh? But to which tribe exactly? They were always fighting and taking each others land, not that it was rare since that was transpiring for thousands of years....how far back do we go in order to decide who owns what?

It was a somewhat tongue-in-cheek comment.    The maybe 7-10 million natives who were here before the 1600s probably had enough room in the US to share. . . 

If they are fleeing all of this torture and prosecution, why are we still doing business with those countries? Why no meaningful sanctions? Are we buying oil from Venezuela? I know! Because this asylum gambit is complete bullshit, that’s why.  Clowns linking to the asylum act as if it’s a justification. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

You know, until you just asked this, I didn't realize just how little I have learned about the Natives to this country. It's a topic I'm extremely ignorant on(every please enjoy that softball). Just downloaded a book about Frank Abagnale(claims that his biggest con was convincing everyone that he was a big-time conman) and another on The Battle of Thermopylae, that offers a less romanticized "300" exploration on what happened. I'm taking a break from the Dresden Files series

But you peaked my interest, so I'll have to see what's available to read---see if I can get a 30,000 foot overview look if possible on the different people who were here before us.

Great tangential question, maybe in a few months I'll be able to answer it.   Thx for the idea.  :thumbsup:

"Undaunted Courage" by Stephen Ambrose is an excellent book.   It's about Lewis and Clark but you cannot tell that story without telling the story of the native americans that they encountered.    L&C came after smallpox had wiped out most of the population so if you wanted to delve into pre-1600s native american history - I don't have  a book recommendation for that.  

Undaunted Courage: Meriwether Lewis, Thomas Jefferson, and the Opening of the American West: Ambrose, Stephen: 8601422176339: Amazon.com: Books

17 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

Try this one...  Empire of the Summer Moon Quanah Parker and the Rise and Fall of the Comanches, the Most Powerful Indian Tribe in American History

Easily in my top 5 books on the Native Americans, and a key reason I really like the Comanches.  There are others, I have a real affinity for the Native Americans, and have tried to learn some of the languages, though sadly most of the languages of local tribes where we love was lost as they were killed off so fart. 

Enjoy!

2 minutes ago, Masshole said:

"Undaunted Courage" by Stephen Ambrose is an excellent book.   It's about Lewis and Clark but you cannot tell that story without telling the story of the native americans that they encountered.    L&C came after smallpox had wiped out most of the population so if you wanted to delve into pre-1600s native american history - I don't have  a book recommendation for tha

Undaunted Courage: Meriwether Lewis, Thomas Jefferson, and the Opening of the American West: Ambrose, Stephen: 8601422176339: Amazon.com: Books

Thank you.  Just ordered it to my Kindle along with: Native American History: A History from Beginning to End

Considering how slow I read(mostly at night before bed), I should have reviews for you and RLLD around this time next year.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RLLD said:

Try this one...  Empire of the Summer Moon Quanah Parker and the Rise and Fall of the Comanches, the Most Powerful Indian Tribe in American History

Easily in my top 5 books on the Native Americans, and a key reason I really like the Comanches.  There are others, I have a real affinity for the Native Americans, and have tried to learn some of the languages, though sadly most of the languages of local tribes where we love was lost as they were killed off so fart. 

Enjoy!

Also added.  Thx. 

Though I'll admit, I'm going to sneak in another Dresden Files book before finishing all of these. I mean, who doesn't like Chicago Detective Wizards...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RLLD said:

Easily in my top 5 books on the Native Americans, and a key reason I really like the Comanches.  There are others, I have a real affinity for the Native Americans, and have tried to learn some of the languages, though sadly most of the languages of local tribes where we love was lost as they were killed off so fart

Enjoy!

Great book! Those fockers were brutal. :shocking: 

Also, :lol:

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

If they are fleeing all of this torture and prosecution, why are we still doing business with those countries? Why no meaningful sanctions? Are we buying oil from Venezuela? I know! Because this asylum gambit is complete bullshit, that’s why.  Clowns linking to the asylum act as if it’s a justification. 

They're seeking asylum from being from a shithole country. Pretty sure it's on the list of acceptable reasons. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, 5-Points said:

They're seeking asylum from being from a shithole country. Pretty sure it's on the list of acceptable reasons. 

It’s not. That’s why they claim political prosecution. They are well coached. 

5 minutes ago, 5-Points said:

And getting kicked out of Martha's Vineyard.