Sign in to follow this  
Ray_T

Thoughts on Mahomes so far....

19 minutes ago, kcBlitzkrieg said:

The last 7 MVP winning QBs have all lost the Super Bowl.... 

Last one to win was Warner in '99.  

The qbs of all time who win mvp and the super bowl in the same year is elite.   Going to be one to add after Sunday. 

2 hours ago, cmh6476 said:

The qbs of all time who win mvp and the super bowl in the same year is elite.   Going to be one to add after Sunday. 

And if that happens it will probly mean the hat trick of SuperBowl MVP to add to the regular season MVP and the ring.

It was fun while it lasted.  Congrats 

27 years old.   Through 5 seasons as a starter, Patrick Mahomes now has…

▫️ 2 Super Bowl wins
▫️ 2 Super Bowl MVP awards
▫️ 2 NFL MVP awards 
▫️ 3 Super Bowl appearances, 5 AFC Championship games
▫️5 Pro Bowls, 3 All Pros
▫️NFL Offensive Player of the Year
▫️12+ wins in every season

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mjeddy66 said:

Mahomes posed to eclipse Brady regardless of what DB Weepaws says. He's such a DB little b*tch

this is a tough prediction to make.   so many things can go sideways over the course of a career.   Injurys being #1.   but the team has to be great for a lot of years and Kelce is running out of time.   he likely has a year or two left (which would make him tops in terms of career length for a pass catching TE outside of maybe Tony Gonzalez)

I do think Mahomes has the talent, but all these chiefs are gonna start asking for money and they wont be able to pay them all.  There are up and down years.   managing that the way the pats did is far easier said than done.

to win that many superbowls, you cant just have a good QB.  You need a good team, a great coach and good health over that amount of time to be able to eclipse the career numbers that Brady had.  

its not impossible.  I think Andy Reid is a Great coach.  but do you think hes still coaching a decade from now?    I dont.   I dont think his departure is imminent, but I do think once he leaves the organization wont be as good and keeping this going will be tough.

Mahomes will continue to be a great QB.  I do think there will be some down years in there.   its not natural to have a run like the pats have had and the salary cap era has made it even more difficult.    Not impossible, but certainly more difficult.  

30 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

this is a tough prediction to make.   so many things can go sideways over the course of a career.   Injurys being #1.   but the team has to be great for a lot of years and Kelce is running out of time.   he likely has a year or two left (which would make him tops in terms of career length for a pass catching TE outside of maybe Tony Gonzalez)

I do think Mahomes has the talent, but all these chiefs are gonna start asking for money and they wont be able to pay them all.  There are up and down years.   managing that the way the pats did is far easier said than done.

to win that many superbowls, you cant just have a good QB.  You need a good team, a great coach and good health over that amount of time to be able to eclipse the career numbers that Brady had.  

its not impossible.  I think Andy Reid is a Great coach.  but do you think hes still coaching a decade from now?    I dont.   I dont think his departure is imminent, but I do think once he leaves the organization wont be as good and keeping this going will be tough.

Mahomes will continue to be a great QB.  I do think there will be some down years in there.   its not natural to have a run like the pats have had and the salary cap era has made it even more difficult.    Not impossible, but certainly more difficult.  

KC is one of the youngest teams in the league.   They've been drafting well and it's just hard to notice because they all aren't Mahomes and Kelce. 

45 minutes ago, cmh6476 said:

KC is one of the youngest teams in the league.   They've been drafting well and it's just hard to notice because they all aren't Mahomes and Kelce. 

agreed.  but what happens once Andy Reid goes and his staff depart?   its not as easy as it looks.

and the departures happen more quickly when the team wins a superbowl because everyone wants to get paid.

Like I said, looks good now, but a lot can happen in a decade.    it is way too difficult to predict such a thing.   thats all I am saying.

27 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

agreed.  but what happens once Andy Reid goes and his staff depart?   its not as easy as it looks.

and the departures happen more quickly when the team wins a superbowl because everyone wants to get paid.

Like I said, looks good now, but a lot can happen in a decade.    it is way too difficult to predict such a thing.   thats all I am saying.

Mahomes has certainly had a fantastic start to his career, but some on this bored probably aren't interested in hearing your negativity.  The amazing thing about Brady was that he was on top for essentially two decades.  No doubt that he benefited from the protections granted to QBs and Mahomes will likely be the beneficiary of an even more QB-friendly league going forward.

You mentioned that maintaining a good team in the salary cap era is a challenge, but I always wonder what guys like Staubach, Bradshaw, Montana, and even Starr could have done in today's league - most of them took a terrible beatings which I am sure impacted their longevity.  If they had been able to play with today's protections, Brady's feats may not seem that extraordinary.

1 hour ago, Showboat said:

Mahomes has certainly had a fantastic start to his career, but some on this bored probably aren't interested in hearing your negativity.  The amazing thing about Brady was that he was on top for essentially two decades.  No doubt that he benefited from the protections granted to QBs and Mahomes will likely be the beneficiary of an even more QB-friendly league going forward.

You mentioned that maintaining a good team in the salary cap era is a challenge, but I always wonder what guys like Staubach, Bradshaw, Montana, and even Starr could have done in today's league - most of them took a terrible beatings which I am sure impacted their longevity.  If they had been able to play with today's protections, Brady's feats may not seem that extraordinary.

you really gotta judge based on the era.   the talent was different back then and so was the game as a whole.   They didnt really throw the ball a lot back then so if a QB threw for 250 yards in a game it was considered a great game.   Today, its Meh.     

1 hour ago, Ray_T said:

you really gotta judge based on the era.   the talent was different back then and so was the game as a whole.   They didnt really throw the ball a lot back then so if a QB threw for 250 yards in a game it was considered a great game.   Today, its Meh.     

Do to the change of rules.  They have limited how the defense can defend and now even tackle.  

1 hour ago, Ray_T said:

Totally agree.  That's why I chuckle a bit when the Mahomes-Brady comparisons are made projecting a new GOAT.  Brady's 7 Super Bowl wins, 10 Super Bowl appearances and 8 straight conference championship appearances are unprecedented and so far beyond previous levels of success that the GOAT title is now overwhelmingly accepted (but there were still a lot of dissenters until he got a 6th ring and it wasn't really cemented until he got #7 without BB).  The holdouts for Montana, Bradshaw, or even Unitas made the different eras argument until Brady's accomplishments became too ridiculous to argue against.  So, for Mahomes to be considered the new GOAT he literally needs to obliterate Brady's records - something like 10-12 Super Bowl wins (probably at least one with a different team/coach) and 15 Super Bowl appearances may do it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Showboat said:

So, for Mahomes to be considered the new GOAT he literally needs to obliterate Brady's records - something like 10-12 Super Bowl wins (probably at least one with a different team/coach) and 15 Super Bowl appearances may do it.

If Mahomes continues at his current pace and plays as long as Tom Brady played, he will have hosted 23 Conference Championship games in his career.

Brady hosted 7.

(Mahomes has already hosted 5.)

5 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

If Mahomes continues at his current pace and plays as long as Tom Brady played, he will have hosted 23 Conference Championship games in his career.

Brady hosted 7.

(Mahomes has already hosted 5.)

Great.  After Mahomes hosts 23 conference championship games I'll be happy to declare him the GOAT (unless he only translates those into 6 or 7 Super Bowl wins).  I would definitely take the under 23 conference championship games hosted if you are interested in betting, but I fear I may not live long enough to collect (or pay as the case may be).:lol:

1 minute ago, Showboat said:

if you are interested in betting

I would only be interested in betting that Mahomes hosts 23 Conference Championship games under the conditions that I stipulated--that he plays as long as Brady played, and that he continues at his current pace as a starter.  If those two things occur, then I will be happy to bet that Mahomes will host 23 Conference Championship games in his career, for any amount that you wish to wager.

3 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

I would only be interested in betting that Mahomes hosts 23 Conference Championship games under the conditions that I stipulated--that he plays as long as Brady played, and that he continues at his current pace as a starter.  If those two things occur, then I will be happy to bet that Mahomes will host 23 Conference Championship games in his career, for any amount that you wish to wager.

Sounds like heads I win, tails you lose.

44 minutes ago, Showboat said:

Sounds like heads I win, tails you lose.

That is typically the case when one faces Axe Elf.

2 hours ago, AxeElf said:

That is typically the case when one faces Axe Elf.

Sounds to me like you are just admitting that you don't think Mahomes will maintain his current pace, so I don't know why you keep posting these projected accomplishments assuming he maintains his current pace.

1 hour ago, Showboat said:

I don't know why you keep posting these projected accomplishments assuming he maintains his current pace.

Just to focus Brady's measly accomplishments through the perspective of the Mahomes lens.

Number of seasons needed by a starting Quarterback to earn 2 MVPs and win 2 Super Bowls. 

Peyton Manning  18 years

Joe Montana  12 years 

Tom Brady  11 years

Patrick Mahomes  6 years

23 minutes ago, Gepetto said:

Patrick Mahomes  6 years

Mahomes only needed 5 years as a starting QB to do those things.

6 minutes ago, seafoam1 said:

If Mahomes didn't have Hill Kelce, he would have nothing.

Yeah, we heard it all last year too.

36 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Mahomes only needed 5 years as a starting QB to do those things.

I know.  The starting QB part is too exclude backup QBs who were on teams that won the Super Bowl, but to count number of years in the NFL.

35 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Yeah, we heard it all last year too.

Sorry. I thought I mentioned Kelce. Not Hill. 

1 hour ago, seafoam1 said:

Sorry. I thought I mentioned Kelce. Not Hill. 

Same song, second verse.

1 hour ago, Gepetto said:

The starting QB part is too exclude backup QBs who were on teams that won the Super Bowl, but to count number of years in the NFL.

"Starting Quarterback" means a QB who started in the NFL.  So the number for Mahomes would be 5, not 6.

Updated QB Rankings

1.  Mahomes when trailing.

2.  Mahomes.

3.  Mahomes on one ankle.

4.  Hurts.

5.  Burrow.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Updated QB Rankings

2.  Mahomes.

4.  Hurts.

5.  Burrow.

That's about right. 

On 2/20/2023 at 3:08 PM, AxeElf said:

Updated QB Rankings

2.  Mahomes.

4.  Hurts.

5.  Burrow.

🏆

It's worth noting that in his entire career as a starter, the worst any season ever ended for Mahomes was an overtime loss in the AFC Championship game.

He's never fallen short of that.

Ever.

On 5/6/2023 at 2:55 AM, AxeElf said:

It's worth noting that in his entire career as a starter, the worst any season ever ended for Mahomes was an overtime loss in the AFC Championship game.

He's never fallen short of that.

Ever.

I think he's the best to ever play the game.  He's the Michael Jordan of football.

Don't matter where he is, mofo just gets it done

• Like 1

And Mahomes becomes the first active NFL QB to promote a cold, refreshing bear.

On 2/13/2023 at 4:20 PM, AxeElf said:

Does playing the game in Baltimore count as hosting?

On 1/21/2024 at 9:31 PM, cmh6476 said:

Does playing the game in Baltimore count as hosting?

no.  But I'm amazed at Mahomes more in the last 2 years.    Last year he lost his #1 WR and the offense morphed into more of a ball control offense and was successful.

This year he had a bunch of WR's who seemed to drop everything.   suddenly the playoffs come and those guys start catching passes instead of dropping them.   He made a very good defense in Buffalo look bad.

I dont know that he beats Baltimore.  They have a next level Defense and can do a lot of things that the Buffalo D cannot do.   but its gonna be interesting to see if he can accomplish this.

my fear is that the WR just are not good enough and every throw cannot be to Kelce.

On 2/13/2023 at 10:22 AM, cmh6476 said:

27 years old.   Through 5 seasons as a starter, Patrick Mahomes now has…

▫️ 2 Super Bowl wins
▫️ 2 Super Bowl MVP awards
▫️ 2 NFL MVP awards 
▫️ 3 Super Bowl appearances, 5 AFC Championship games
▫️5 Pro Bowls, 3 All Pros
▫️NFL Offensive Player of the Year
▫️12+ wins in every season

Followed it up with another ok season.