Sign in to follow this  
peenie

Do you own a bespoke suit?

What made you decide to get one? Was it worth it? 

What is a bespoke suit?

I own 3 suits and all were bought as suit separates but I’ve brought all three to get tailored.

No, I have worn a suit 3 times in my life that I recall. Next time I switch companies I will have to buy one though.

I also don't know what a bespoke suit is.  Are they the ugly ass suits that Michael Irvin wears? 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, nobody said:

All my suits are custom.  No one should own a suit that isn't tailored.

Looks like bespoke = custom.  I've never owned one, but I'm pretty normal sized.  You are pretty tall IIRC?

Also, I spent most of my career selling to engineers and engineering management; people like you and @MTSkiBum.  If I walked into a meeting with a 4 figure suit, you guys would instantly distrust me.  I had to walk a line between looking professional but not looking TOO good (which is easy for me. 🤪 ).  Usually I just wore a sportcoat, and ties went out of vogue in the 2000s.

Years ago I had my suits tailored to be a little more of an athletic fit since I’m tall and thin. So the jackets for example would have a slight taper to the waist 🤷🏻‍♂️  But the last few I bought I didn’t even bother I liked the standard fit well enough. 

22 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

Years ago I had my suits tailored to be a little more of an athletic fit since I’m tall and thin. So the jackets for example would have a slight taper to the waist 🤷🏻‍♂️  But the last few I bought I didn’t even bother I liked the standard fit well enough. 

I should clarify that while I bought off the rack, I often had them tailored like you mentioned.  I just haven't had a custom suit made from scratch measurements.

7 hours ago, jerryskids said:

Looks like bespoke = custom.  I've never owned one, but I'm pretty normal sized.  You are pretty tall IIRC?

Also, I spent most of my career selling to engineers and engineering management; people like you and @MTSkiBum.  If I walked into a meeting with a 4 figure suit, you guys would instantly distrust me.  I had to walk a line between looking professional but not looking TOO good (which is easy for me. 🤪 ).  Usually I just wore a sportcoat, and ties went out of vogue in the 2000s.

i automatically distrust people that wear a suit without a tie.  i mean how weak-willed do you have to be to be bullied into not wearing a tie?  i dont want some timid manlet in my company.

10 hours ago, JustinCharge said:

i automatically distrust people that wear a suit without a tie.  i mean how weak-willed do you have to be to be bullied into not wearing a tie?  i dont want some timid manlet in my company.

Your brain cells scramble around your head in a unique way.  Weak-willed?  Bullied?  Like, I really wish I could wear this noose around my neck all day, but people won't like me, so I guess I'll need to be comfortable?  That kind of bullied?  :dunno: 

Bought a $1500.00 suit from Jos A Banks a few years ago. Tailored and have worn it thrice. A wedding, a funeral, and one night I wanted to look stoopid.

14 hours ago, JustinCharge said:

A tie is the stupidest article of clothing ever invented. Why anyone would chose to wear a tie if they had the option to not wear one is the mystery here.

43 minutes ago, MDC said:

A tie is the stupidest article of clothing ever invented. Why anyone would chose to wear a tie if they had the option to not wear one is the mystery here.

You’re like school on a Saturday. No class!😁

On 9/17/2022 at 11:11 PM, DonS said:

If "bespoke" means "tailored" then who da fuq came up with that term??? 

Not tailored but uniquely made just for you by hand. And bespoke as in (this material I have chosen for my suit is) spoken for. 

11 minutes ago, peenie said:

Not tailored but uniquely made just for you by hand. And bespoke as in (this material I have chosen for my suit is) spoken for. 

Thanks for the clarification.  Answer is a definite "no" for me.

I am not a fan of wearing suits. Some of my friends like to get all suited up when they go out. No thanks. I will look well dressed, but I'm not trying to impress anyone that badly

Suit basics are as follows:

Suit separates- Jacket and pants sold separately.  Minimal alterations needed  

Off the rack - Sold as a 2 or 3 pc suit and altered to fit you better.  That usually means shorten sleeves, take in the waist and hem the pants.

Made to measure - Your specific measurements are taken and sent to the factory where they work from a basic model and adjust it to your measurements. A variety of fabrics can be chosen. 

Bespoke or custom made - A tailor creates a true custom pattern exclusively based on your measurements and style choices. Again, a variety of fabrics are available.  These suits are not your everyday, run of the mill suits.  They’re expensive, take time to make and are as good as it gets.  

I own one suit, which I bought in 1988. I've only worn it to job interviews,  funerals, and weddings, and I stopped wearing it to weddings 15-20 years ago.

I'll splurge for a new one for my daughter's wedding in July, and I'm sure it'll be off the rack. 

On 9/17/2022 at 10:56 PM, JustinCharge said:

Where do you work?

I never watched Mad Men but I'm pretty sure if you did, you had to admire the suits they wore.

9 hours ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Where do you work?

Lol, you think that dude has a job?  I'd bet money he's on disability.

B spoke - Boston Bruins

• Like 1