Sign in to follow this  
avoiding injuries

Let’s talk about stereotypes

Reading through most of the threads here I’m seeing people get criticized for naturally characterizing people based off observations  grounded by experiences in every day life. Why is it that a person who is aware of and points out the stereotype has a negative connotation, but the source or the origin of the stereotype is widely ignored?

I know race immediately comes to mind with stereotypes, but you can apply it to almost every stereotype. If I were to ignore everything I’ve learned through my social experiences, I wouldn’t be putting myself in a good place, or I think I could be missing out on things. I think stereotypes are a good thing and very necessary to talk about and learn from. 

the code of conduct for humans DRASTICALLY went up once we invented nuclear weapons.  if you stereotyped a group of people before nukes, so what?  NOW, if you stereotype a group with negative connotations, and they possess nukes, you are asking for a nuclear war and the world getting blown up.  and just emoting "they surely would never press the button" is the stupidest response ever.

15 minutes ago, JustinCharge said:

the code of conduct for humans DRASTICALLY went up once we invented nuclear weapons.  if you stereotyped a group of people before nukes, so what?  NOW, if you stereotype a group with negative connotations, and they possess nukes, you are asking for a nuclear war and the world getting blown up.  and just emoting "they surely would never press the button" is the stupidest response ever.

You sure fit a stereotype.