Sign in to follow this  
DonS

If Bill Belichick was a professional fisherman

This story has really been getting around. Love that there was video of it all. You have to be a real POS to cheat in fishing tournaments. 

20 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

This story has really been getting around. Love that there was video of it all. You have to be a real POS to cheat in fishing tournaments. 

I imagine things are going to change as far as how they conduct these tournaments now. Or referee them or whatever they call it. 

32 minutes ago, craftsman said:

I imagine things are going to change as far as how they conduct these tournaments now. Or referee them or whatever they call it. 

Bring in the airport xray machine.

Belichick is the GOAT. He would win all the tournaments so much that everyone else would just hang their heads and quit. 

I surmise that Bellicheat would Love this, right up his alley

He’d have the greatest angler ever on his squad and then when that guy left he’d go back to bringing in mediocre catches like he always had before 

Belichick will be fishing instead of coaching in less than a year. No more Brady, and everybody is wise to his cheating now. He’s done.

5 minutes ago, dogcows said:

Belichick will be fishing instead of coaching in less than a year. No more Brady, and everybody is wise to his cheating now. He’s done.

Ohhhh... There's a hurt Bills fan. :lol:

2 hours ago, wiffleball said:

Yeah there's a couple guys who play chess and fish, they just found anal beads in the fish.

Those were some HUGE lead anal beads!  :shocking:

shut your c0ck trap you pu$$y

I have not seen anglers that worked up since the Chipewa asserted their rights to spear fish walleye off reservation during the spawn back in the late 80's in wisconsin.  There were some pretty tense situations at a number of boat landings, violent rhetoric, a few fights and injurioes, and it spawned the bumper sticker, Save a fish, spear an indian.

Like 15 years ago I would occasionally watch some pro fishing thing on ESPN for laughs. 

I don’t remember, how is it policed? Should have 2 non teammates (are teammates a thing like Neckar?) in a boat like a golf match. I guess half the “skill” is knowing when and where to move the boat so who gets to control that would be an issue. 

how was he getting those huge weights and fillets in the fish? It also seems like so much added weight that it would be obvious… each fish is weighed one by one no?

1 minute ago, WhiteWonder said:

Like 15 years ago I would occasionally watch some pro fishing thing on ESPN for laughs. 

I don’t remember, how is it policed? Should have 2 non teammates (are teammates a thing like Neckar?) in a boat like a golf match. I guess half the “skill” is knowing when and where to move the boat so who gets to control that would be an issue. 

how was he getting those huge weights and fillets in the fish? It also seems like so much added weight that it would be obvious… each fish is weighed one by one no?

Most professional bass tournaments have a boater and a non boater.  The non boater fishes out of the back of the boat and is randomly paired up with a boater.  It helps with keeping people honest but not 100%.  The BASS Elite Series has marshals on boats to make sure rules are followed.  My brother-in-law was a marshal in an event just a few weeks ago.  In smaller, local clubs it's pretty much left up to the honor system and that's where you see the most cheating.

They weigh the biggest fish first because there is usually a big fish prize then they weigh the rest of them all in one bag for total weight.  It was obvious that the walleye they caught were not as heavy as they weighed and anglers asked the director to check the fish.  People have been questioning those two anglers for a while now.

5 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Most professional bass tournaments have a boater and a non boater.  The non boater fishes out of the back of the boat and is randomly paired up with a boater.  It helps with keeping people honest but not 100%.  The BASS Elite Series has marshals on boats to make sure rules are followed.  My brother-in-law was a marshal in an event just a few weeks ago.  In smaller, local clubs it's pretty much left up to the honor system and that's where you see the most cheating.

They weigh the biggest fish first because there is usually a big fish prize then they weigh the rest of them all in one bag for total weight.  It was obvious that the walleye they caught were not as heavy as they weighed and anglers asked the director to check the fish.  People have been questioning those two anglers for a while now.

Okay but again how are they getting those sized weights and fillets of other fish inside? Weights down the mouth? But they seemed to spill out so easily in the video and a balled up fillet would seem difficult to get down a fishes mouth. They are obviously not cutting them open and sewing them back up. 

I used to spend a week fishing bass/pike/walleye in Canada each summer. Kinda miss it. 

2 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

Okay but again how are they getting those sized weights and fillets of other fish inside? Weights down the mouth? But they seemed to spill out so easily in the video and a balled up fillet would seem difficult to get down a fishes mouth. They are obviously not cutting them open and sewing them back up. 

I used to spend a week fishing bass/pike/walleye in Canada each summer. Kinda miss it. 

Had to have shoved them down the throat.  They should get in trouble for numerous infractions.

Belichick is the GOAT. No amount of crying is ever gonna change that. Brady too. Both GOATs for the rest of your lives.

That's insane. I've fished hundreds of bass tournaments, but never saw anyone caught cheating.  Then again, I fished low-level tournaments with prizes in the $300 to $1,000 range.  Once a couple of new guys showed up and weighed in a half-dead monster bass which appeared to have been tied to a dock for a few days. But nobody could prove anything.

All my tournaments were also filled with rednecks who would've beat the sh*t out of anyone caught stuffing down weights. I'm surprised those guys were able to walk away from that tournament in tact. Probably gonna be some off-camera retribution down the road.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, GobbleDog said:

That's insane. I've fished hundreds of bass tournaments, but never saw anyone caught cheating.  Then again, I fished low-level tournaments with prizes in the $300 to $1,000 range.  Once a couple of new guys showed up and weighed in a half-dead monster bass which appeared to have been tied to a dock for a few days. But nobody could prove anything.

All my tournaments were also filled with rednecks who would've beat the sh*t out of anyone caught stuffing down weights. I'm surprised those guys were able to walk away from that tournament in tact. Probably gonna be some off-camera retribution down the road.

That’s how I would cheat. Keep a monster I caught a day ago in a livewell and weigh it in. 

8 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

That’s how I would cheat. Keep a monster I caught a day ago in a livewell and weigh it in. 

I keep a monster in my pants. :banana:

41 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

Most fishing tournaments are basically the honor system, because it's so easy to cheat. In my low-level club tournaments everyone knew each other, so it wasn't a problem - we'd still do livewell checks on all the boats beforehand just for the sake of it... but it didn't really do anything.  It was tournaments where anyone was allowed to show up that cheating was a problem.

Obviously the easiest way to cheat was to catch fish beforehand and leave them in an underwater crab-trap. Or have someone bring the fish from another boat. Then, there was the possibility of people using live bait.

Stuffing weights seems risky, since it's rather obvious what fish weigh to people who fish a lot and you end up with a bunch of dead fish - which in my tournaments was a weight penalty for each dead fish.

29 minutes ago, Herbivore said:

Belichick is the GOAT. No amount of crying is ever gonna change that. Brady too. Both GOATs for the rest of your lives.

Belichick is like .500 at best without Brady. That’s gotta mean something, right?

I kayak and fish a local reservoir.  Two years ago they held a contest.  I was unaware of the contest and did not register, not really my thing.  I did notice unusual activity and a few folks kind of watching where I was working and following me.  I had a decent day.  One of the boaters sort of spying on me came up to me to offer some cash for my fish.  They said with them they could win the contest.  I refused.  When I got in I pointed out their boat to the ranger.  What happened from there I do not know.  The ranger did tell me I had the largest rainbow he saw that day and the largest walleye.  Maybe so.  Tough to eyeball precisely how big a fish is with a great degree of accuracy.  BTW, I could not have registered for the contest as my employment prohibited participation.

Just now, IGotWorms said:

Belichick is like .500 at best without Brady. That’s gotta mean something, right?

Yeah, they lost their starting QB and had to start over and he still keeps them at or above .500. Pretty impressive

31 minutes ago, craftsman said:

Yeah, they lost their starting QB and had to start over and he still keeps them at or above .500. Pretty impressive

It is. And then there was the 2009(?) season with Cassell.

But you add it up, career-wise w/o Brady, he’s usually got a team that’s almost good enough to make the playoffs but not quite, and which is never even close to competing for a championship.

• Thanks 1

When I was a kid I use to ask my grandfather how he always did so well while fishing.  He told me "you have to hold your mouth right".  My dad found it funny.  I found it frustrating.  Now when people ask me my secret I tell them the same thing.

27 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

it does mean something. it is part of his career. 

27 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

It is. And then there was the 2009(?) season with Cassell.

But you add it up, career-wise w/o Brady, he’s usually got a team that’s almost good to make the playoffs but not quite, and which is never even close to competing for a championship.

Which makes him an average to above-average coach in the NFL. Without Brady? He’s not even in the conversation for great coaches.

9 minutes ago, dogcows said:

Which makes him an average to above-average coach in the NFL. Without Brady? He’s not even in the conversation for great coaches.

yea, all you have to do is remove the 20 year run of greatness, 6 SB wins, 9 AFC titles. just remove that, and he is a JAG.

2 hours ago, GobbleDog said:

Most fishing tournaments are basically the honor system, because it's so easy to cheat. In my low-level club tournaments everyone knew each other, so it wasn't a problem - we'd still do livewell checks on all the boats beforehand just for the sake of it... but it didn't really do anything.  It was tournaments where anyone was allowed to show up that cheating was a problem.

Obviously the easiest way to cheat was to catch fish beforehand and leave them in an underwater crab-trap. Or have someone bring the fish from another boat. Then, there was the possibility of people using live bait.

Stuffing weights seems risky, since it's rather obvious what fish weigh to people who fish a lot and you end up with a bunch of dead fish - which in my tournaments was a weight penalty for each dead fish.

yeah after typing the livewell, I should have clarified, the concept of one... not the one on the boat I was using since I would assume or hope those would be checked before hand....  but something off the side of a dock or a crab trap like you mentioned. 

When we use to fly in to a place in canada we would take some chicken wire to make a fish pen to hold our catch until the last day when we would filet them up before leaving.  That pen was a pretty good size maybe 30 feet by 30 feet. Generally we did not use it the first few days, only the last 48 hours or so and even with a pretty large fish pen you could tell which fish were put in there three days before leaving as opposed to the last day.  They simply do not do all that well.  Worse still in a live well or on a stringer.  I feel an experienced judge could tell the difference if someone had a fish captured days before.  Unfortunately how does one prove fraud based only on experience and no hard evidence. 

I am disappointed folks would cheat at this but people suck.

1 hour ago, dogcows said:

Well you can’t take that away, but at the same time it’s obvious Brady was integral to his success

• Like 1

Let's put it this way, if the Bears drafted Brady and had him for a few years, nobody would know who Brady is.  

56 minutes ago, Engorgeous George said:

When we use to fly in to a place in canada we would take some chicken wire to make a fish pen to hold our catch until the last day when we would filet them up before leaving.  That pen was a pretty good size maybe 30 feet by 30 feet. Generally we did not use it the first few days, only the last 48 hours or so and even with a pretty large fish pen you could tell which fish were put in there three days before leaving as opposed to the last day.  They simply do not do all that well.  Worse still in a live well or on a stringer.  I feel an experienced judge could tell the difference if someone had a fish captured days before.  Unfortunately how does one prove fraud based only on experience and no hard evidence. 

I am disappointed folks would cheat at this but people suck.

Where did you go in Canada?  I've been trying to plan a fly-in trip in Ontario.

3 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Where did you go in Canada?  I've been trying to plan a fly-in trip in Ontario.

One year we went to a place called lnobby's when our buddy with his own plane could not take us.  Nice resort, decent fishing.  Most years we flew into a new lake we had never been to before.  Beer was too hevy to transport so we got by on booze, pot, dry food and feeding ouselves fish every day.  A couple of backbacking tents, an ax or two, the chicken wire and a couple of blow up rafts and a pump.  

Naturally also our fishing rods and tackle and a bun or two and sometimes a bow set up with a reel and some line.