Sign in to follow this  
DonS

If Bill Belichick was a professional fisherman

2 minutes ago, Engorgeous George said:

One year we went to a place called lnobby's when our buddy with his own plane could not take us.  Nice resort, decent fishing.  Most years we flew into a new lake we had never been to before.  Beer was too hevy to transport so we got by on booze, pot, dry food and feeding ouselves fish every day.  A couple of backbacking tents, an ax or two, the chicken wire and a couple of blow up rafts and a pump.  

Naturally also our fishing rods and tackle and a bun or two and sometimes a bow set up with a reel and some line.

Sounds amazing.  You just went to random lakes then?  No cabins or outfitters?

Just now, Hawkeye21 said:

Sounds amazing.  You just went to random lakes then?  No cabins or outfitters?

Most often we just picked a new place, often with "moose" in the name, flew in and set up camp.  It was not fancy, but we were young, the fishing was out of this world, not like Wisconsin or Minnesota fishing, but incredible, and everybody had pretty good skills so we were comfortable enough.  Our limitation was we could not land in the BWCA and it had to be no more than 400 miles from Ely where we would fly out of and back too.  Range on the plane was a limiting factor and we liked to have very adequate feul reserves.

• Like 1

Sounds like you boys should arrange a Brokeback Mountain GC Fishing Trip!!!

Seriously though sounds cool.  My dad used to take me fishing as a kid, but it was just basic lake fishing from the shore catching perch, bullhead, or the oh so exotic Upstate NY carp.  Never did any more once I got older.

Would be fun to go again but I wouldn't know where to even start in terms of tackle, etc. 

17 minutes ago, DonS said:

Seriously though sounds cool.  My dad used to take me fishing as a kid, but it was just basic lake fishing from the shore catching perch, bullhead, or the oh so exotic Upstate NY carp.  Never did any more once I got older.

Would be fun to go again but I wouldn't know where to even start in terms of tackle, etc. 

You can learn it all on youtube.  I watch fishing videos on there all the time.

3 hours ago, dogcows said:

Which makes him an average to above-average coach in the NFL. Without Brady? He’s not even in the conversation for great coaches.

There are very few things in life I am absolutely certain of.   However, that the people who are now saying "it was Brady not Belichick" were the same people who were saying sometime around 2010-12 that "Brady is a system QB" who "benefitted from great defenses" - that's one thing I am absolutely certain of. . . 

• Thanks 1

Many years ago I missed out on the first prize on a striped bass fishing tournament by 1 ounce.    Literally that close.    As I walked away from the weighing the thought did cross my mind;  "if I had just stuffed a 2 ounce egg sinker down its throat - I would have won this fuking thing".    

4 minutes ago, Masshole said:

Many years ago I missed out on the first prize on a striped bass fishing tournament by 1 ounce.    Literally that close.    As I walked away from the weighing the thought did cross my mind;  "if I had just stuffed a 2 ounce egg sinker down its throat - I would have won this fuking thing".    

I fish kayak tournaments where we go by length.  There have been quite a few people caught cheating over the years.  One person cut the tail off the fish then placed his hand over the missing section when he took the photo.  The lengths some people go through in order to win some money and popularity.

1 hour ago, DonS said:

Really you don't need much more knowledge than what you had as a kid.  Maybe you had a zebco reel or a cane pole with a bobber.  Maybe you used night crawlers, shiners or maybe even leaches.  That still gets it done.  All of the reel and graphite pole talk, all of the different lures from surface to deep dive, that is all extra.  Just get out and do it.  For Walleye work about 15 feet of water to three feet of water off of stone shouls where they like to spawn.  Work about 18 inches up from the botton. After the spawn work at the same depth but in 30 to 50 feet of water, the fish will be looking up to your presentation at 15 feet deep. For bass surface cast right up against weed and lilly pad lines, under overhanging trees in the shadows and retrieve fast.  Also three casts to the same spot.  Sometimes you have to piss them off and get a territorial strike and not a feeding strike.  For trout troll deep in lakes and work eddies in streams right behind rocks.  Drop you bait or lure just upstream and let the current present the bait.  For northern skip your lure across the surface and go bigger than you might think, they are happy to gulp a wounded 6 inch perch or bluegill swimming erratically so work a shad, perch, or blue gill lure and work it erratically..

Oh, learn to fillet a fish.  Down behind the gills, along the backbone to the tail, leave the tail on as a handle and slide on back towards the gill cut.  Don't try to be too precise.  You will get 90% of thre flesh and none of the bones if you go easy and don't worry about getting it all.  That last 10% is not worth the effort when you are starting out..  

• Thanks 1

Might, perhaps, be one more weekend to the kokanee spawn here in Colorado.  One last time with my kayak before the snows come in earnest.  I am afraid the cool weather this week may turn them off. 

24 minutes ago, Engorgeous George said:

Really you don't need much more knowledge than what you had as a kid.  Maybe you had a zebco reel or a cane pole with a bobber.  Maybe you used night crawlers, shiners or maybe even leaches.  That still gets it done.  All of the reel and graphite pole talk, all of the different lures from surface to deep dive, that is all extra.  Just get out and do it.  For Walleye work about 15 feet of water to three feet of water off of stone shouls where they like to spawn.  Work about 18 inches up from the botton. After the spawn work at the same depth but in 30 to 50 feet of water, the fish will be looking up to your presentation at 15 feet deep. For bass surface cast right up against weed and lilly pad lines, under overhanging trees in the shadows and retrieve fast.  Also three casts to the same spot.  Sometimes you have to piss them off and get a territorial strike and not a feeding strike.  For trout troll deep in lakes and work eddies in streams right behind rocks.  Drop you bait or lure just upstream and let the current present the bait.  For northern skip your lure across the surface and go bigger than you might think, they are happy to gulp a wounded 6 inch perch or bluegill swimming erratically so work a shad, perch, or blue gill lure and work it erratically..

Oh, learn to fillet a fish.  Down behind the gills, along the backbone to the tail, leave the tail on as a handle and slide on back towards the gill cut.  Don't try to be too precise.  You will get 90% of thre flesh and none of the bones if you go easy and don't worry about getting it all.  That last 10% is not worth the effort when you are starting out..  

Cheap ass rod with an enclosed reel - (what's the proper name for that) nightcrawlers, and bobbers.

Fun times at the Whitney Point Reservoir. 

Just now, DonS said:

Cheap ass rod with an enclosed reel - (what's the proper name for that) nightcrawlers, and bobbers.

Fun times at the Whitney Point Reservoir. 

Spincast reel I'm guessing.

1 minute ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Spincast reel I'm guessing.

It had a button for your thumb for when you are casting. 

4 hours ago, Engorgeous George said:

Great post.  My neighbor in MA is a nut about saltwater fishing, I've been out a lot more this year than I had because of him.    He's got good knowledge and connections so we learned a lot about what gear/lure/bait/rigs/etc to use in the waters around here.    I've caught a decent amount of striped bass, bluefish, and false albacore.   Plus a bunch of black sea bass and tautog.   

"Learn to fillet" is good advice, I am surprised at the people I fish with or see fishing who don't take home some of their catch - or worse, mishandle the catch they do keep (leave a fish that you're gonna eat laying on the beach for 2 hrs. .  . ).  Almost always this summer I came back with fillets in the cooler that I did myself that later became dinner.   Keep them alive in the fishwells, hit them with a bat before you're going to fillet them, carcass goes over the side - fillets in a ziplock and then on ice.     I've got some of my friends who keep their ears open for when I'm going fishing who have done well with free fresh fish this summer.    Had a couple of dinners this summer where that night's dish was swimming in the ocean that day.    Fish you caught on the grill with some farm summer corn and tomatoes alongside - one of my all-time favorite meals. 

45 minutes ago, Masshole said:

Great post.  My neighbor in MA is a nut about saltwater fishing, I've been out a lot more this year than I had because of him.    He's got good knowledge and connections so we learned a lot about what gear/lure/bait/rigs/etc to use in the waters around here.    I've caught a decent amount of striped bass, bluefish, and false albacore.   Plus a bunch of black sea bass and tautog.   

"Learn to fillet" is good advice, I am surprised at the people I fish with or see fishing who don't take home some of their catch - or worse, mishandle the catch they do keep (leave a fish that you're gonna eat laying on the beach for 2 hrs. .  . ).  Almost always this summer I came back with fillets in the cooler that I did myself that later became dinner.   Keep them alive in the fishwells, hit them with a bat before you're going to fillet them, carcass goes over the side - fillets in a ziplock and then on ice.     I've got some of my friends who keep their ears open for when I'm going fishing have done well with free fresh fish this summer.    Had a couple of dinners this summer where that night's dish was swimming in the ocean that day.    Fish you caught on the grill with some farm summer corn and tomatoes alongside - one of my all-time favorite meals. 

I know nothing, or next to nothing about salt water fishing.

Tarpon fishing has always appealed to me, I just have never indulged that bug.  Some day.

7 minutes ago, Engorgeous George said:

Tampon fishing has always appealed to me, I just have never indulged that bug.  Some day.

🤮

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/fishing-cheating-scandal-jacob-runyan-chase-cominski-charged-attempted-grand-theft-ohio-walleye/?ftag=CNM-00-10aab7e&linkId=185368119

Jacob Runyan, 42, of Broadview Heights, Ohio, and Chase Cominski, 35, of Hermitage, Pennsylvania, were indicted in Cleveland on felony charges of cheating, attempted grand theft, possessing criminal tools and misdemeanor charges of unlawfully owning wild animals. They're due to be arraigned Oct. 26.

10 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/fishing-cheating-scandal-jacob-runyan-chase-cominski-charged-attempted-grand-theft-ohio-walleye/?ftag=CNM-00-10aab7e&linkId=185368119

Jacob Runyan, 42, of Broadview Heights, Ohio, and Chase Cominski, 35, of Hermitage, Pennsylvania, were indicted in Cleveland on felony charges of cheating, attempted grand theft, possessing criminal tools and misdemeanor charges of unlawfully owning wild animals. They're due to be arraigned Oct. 26.

The america we live in.  

Tom Brady/Bill Belicheat cheat to win on the grandest scale of them all. No charges filed. Yet these clowns stuffing fish might go to jail? :doh: 

1 minute ago, edjr said:

The america we live in.  

Tom Brady/Bill Belicheat cheat to win on the grandest scale of them all. No charges filed. Yet these clowns stuffing fish might go to jail? :doh: 

Extremely different situations. 

2 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Extremely different situations. 

Cheating to win in a trillion dollar league > cheating some podunk hillbilly fishing tourney

Just now, edjr said:

Cheating to win in a trillion dollar league > cheating some podunk hillbilly fishing tourney

No.  It's not the same.

5 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

No.  It's not the same.

it is much worse. right. 

1 hour ago, edjr said:

The america we live in.  

Ed -

I hope you are trolling.   The spygate and deflating things were crap and debunked long ago.   "Cheating to win on the grandest scale" and they should be put in jail, eh?    Wow, that' s just a little bit of a stretch. . .

Just now, Masshole said:

Ed -

I hope you are trolling.   The spygate and deflating things were crap and debunked long ago.   "Cheating to win on the grandest scale" and they should be put in jail, eh?    Wow, that' s just a little bit of a stretch. . .

Debunked by belicheat knob gobblers. Why were the tapes destroyed?

On 10/3/2022 at 9:35 AM, dogcows said:

Which makes him an average to above-average coach in the NFL. Without Brady? He’s not even in the conversation for great coaches.

tony dungy had peyton manning for years and only won 1 ring.  belichick won 6 with brady.  dungy is in the hall and widely considered a great coach.  no one says "but when dungy was in tampa, he couldnt win so dungy is overrated".

Just now, JustinCharge said:

tony dungy had peyton manning for years and only won 1 ring.  belichick won 6 with brady.  dungy is in the hall and widely considered a great coach.  no one says "but when dungy was in tampa, he couldnt win so dungy is overrated".

Belichick should have been booted from the NFL when he got caught blatantly cheating. Instead, the NFL burned the tapes and gave him a fine.

If Sammy Sosa, Mark McGwire, and Barry Bonds aren’t allowed in the baseball hall of fame, how the F*&#@! should a cheater like Belichick be allowed? But I promise he will be in on first ballot. Because the NFL is so corrupt, a cheater like him doesn’t even register as a blip.

1 minute ago, dogcows said:

Belichick should have been booted from the NFL when he got caught blatantly cheating. Instead, the NFL burned the tapes and gave him a fine.

If Sammy Sosa, Mark McGwire, and Barry Bonds aren’t allowed in the baseball hall of fame, how the F*&#@! should a cheater like Belichick be allowed? But I promise he will be in on first ballot. Because the NFL is so corrupt, a cheater like him doesn’t even register as a blip.

heres the cheating history of the bills.

https://yourteamcheats.com/BUF

"I was the special teams coach for the Buffalo Bills in the early 1980s. In our pregame warm-up, as we prepared to play the New England Patriots, the wind was blowing hard. I figured we could create a wind tunnel if we opened the east-side tunnel door of the stadium when New England was kicking against the wind. I worked with our equipment managers and told them, on my signal, to open the doors. Thinking back about it, I do feel a little bad for the New England punter. On his first punt against the wind, the ball came off his foot nicely, but then the wind puntied it right back at him. In a game with dozens of consequential plays, sometimes it's just one that can make a big difference. I used the wind to our advantage. We won the game and that's why I only feel a little bad."

This is at least Inflate/Deflategate-level cheating

-------

In their September 20, 2015 home game against the defending Super Bowl Champion New England Patriots, the Buffalo Bills illegally used artificial stadium noise to attempt (unsuccessfully) to slow down the Patriots offense. Reported Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk, during the game "on multiple occasions the very loud third-down train horn blared when it arguably shouldn’t have." Continued Florio, "The Patriots used the no-huddle offense on multiple occasions, and on multiple occasions when the Patriots used the no-huddle offense the Bills were blaring the train horn."

-------

In the late 1980s when the NFL started testing for steroids, the Bills had more players suspended than any other team.

i guess we should immediately suspend the bills franchise, forfeit all their 2022 wins and kick them out of the league.  enough is enough.

6 hours ago, JustinCharge said:

i guess we should immediately suspend the bills franchise, forfeit all their 2022 wins and kick them out of the league.  enough is enough.

I suggest Civil War is the only option to resolve this dispute.

4 minutes ago, League Champion said:

They have water in Ohio? 

Umm..Lake Erie.  Better quality than Philly's water right now, but now sure by how much