Sign in to follow this  
mmmmm...beer

Electric Cars in 2022

Is it me or are we like 10 years too damned early for this technology to be really viable?

You hear horror stories of having to replace batteries for $25k.  See so many pics of guys having to go get a jenny when their Tesla runs out of battery in the side of the road.

Big fricken diesel engine powering these things up.

Another thing that's I'm super curious about... Wtf happens to your car in 2-5 years?  Current cell phones and computers are pretty much obsolete in that timeframe.  What you just throw it in the gutter and go get another? (name that tune). Or you have to take it back in.. for the new hardware... Software...batteries...ram...etc?

Fock that all sounds so danged exhausting.

Sux and other guys... Thoughts?

5 hours ago, mmmmm...beer said:

Is it me or are we like 10 years too damned early for this technology to be really viable?

You hear horror stories of having to replace batteries for $25k.  See so many pics of guys having to go get a jenny when their Tesla runs out of battery in the side of the road.

Big fricken diesel engine powering these things up.

Another thing that's I'm super curious about... Wtf happens to your car in 2-5 years?  Current cell phones and computers are pretty much obsolete in that timeframe.  What you just throw it in the gutter and go get another? (name that tune). Or you have to take it back in.. for the new hardware... Software...batteries...ram...etc?

Fock that all sounds so danged exhausting.

Sux and other guys... Thoughts?

im sure the government thinks that sounds perfect.  they want to eliminate private vehicles altogether and get everyone on some sort of public transit.  if everyone was forced to take the bus, theyd love it.  they have been slowly moving in that direction for a long time.  you cant repair modern cars to the extent you could with cars made 50 years ago.  then ban gas engines to get those old cars off the road.  now you are stuck with highly technical computer cars that break down and cost a fortune to fix.  the logical solution is ride the bus - which is what they want.  that gives them just a little more control over you.  misbehave?  revoke your bus privileges.  now you lose your job and everything else.  better toe that line, slave!

1 hour ago, JustinCharge said:

im sure the government thinks that sounds perfect.  they want to eliminate private vehicles altogether and get everyone on some sort of public transit.  if everyone was forced to take the bus, theyd love it.  they have been slowly moving in that direction for a long time.  you cant repair modern cars to the extent you could with cars made 50 years ago.  then ban gas engines to get those old cars off the road.  now you are stuck with highly technical computer cars that break down and cost a fortune to fix.  the logical solution is ride the bus - which is what they want.  that gives them just a little more control over you.  misbehave?  revoke your bus privileges.  now you lose your job and everything else.  better toe that line, slave!

This is a fact. But I think the reasoning is additionally nefarious to what your posted. I believe the government would like to fully control our movement and as well as keep track of us. First off, they control the public transportation schedule. They could keep people from going to events, protests, rallies, or just any group gatherings and they can communicate any reason they want why the service is "down". They would control the times people can go from point A to B including last transit of the day to get home. 

If everyone had to use public transport, they would give out IDs that you would need to swipe that included how much money is left on it and it would contain all your personal information including your banking or credit card information and at that point they could track your movement to or from anywhere you go. They could set up rules of behavior and cameras to enforce and they could send out "traffic fines" that are directly withdrawn from your account. These types of things aren't in place now because the big cities are full of liberals that the left doesn't care about tracking. They want to get the conservatives under control.

If you don't believe in any of that, the fact remains, EVs are nowhere near ready to be the thing. I think they are still over 20 years out, if they ever are ready. Why build an infrastructure now if the technology is not perfected? It's not like all the charging stations are similar to gas pumps. Gas pumps, you just delivery the fuel for the cars, charging stations can be better and more efficient and effective as time goes on. The cars themselves can be a disaster for one reason or another. 

Let's face it, this administration is not about "going green", it's about politics and control under a false narrative. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, craftsman said:

This is a fact. But I think the reasoning is additionally nefarious to what your posted. I believe the government would like to fully control our movement and as well as keep track of us. First off, they control the public transportation schedule. They could keep people from going to events, protests, rallies, or just any group gatherings and they can communicate any reason they want why the service is "down". They would control the times people can go from point A to B including last transit of the day to get home. 

If everyone had to use public transport, they would give out IDs that you would need to swipe that included how much money is left on it and it would contain all your personal information including your banking or credit card information and at that point they could track your movement to or from anywhere you go. They could set up rules of behavior and cameras to enforce and they could send out "traffic fines" that are directly withdrawn from your account. These types of things aren't in place now because the big cities are full of liberals that the left doesn't care about tracking. They want to get the conservatives under control.

If you don't believe in any of that, the fact remains, EVs are nowhere near ready to be the thing. I think they are still over 20 years out, if they ever are ready. Why build an infrastructure now if the technology is not perfected? It's not like all the charging stations are similar to gas pumps. Gas pumps, you just delivery the fuel for the cars, charging stations can be better and more efficient and effective as time goes on. The cars themselves can be a disaster for one reason or another. 

Let's face it, this administration is not about "going green", it's about politics and control under a false narrative. 

I don't think an improved public transit system and fewer personal vehicles is a bad thing.  At the same time it kind of shites on our freedom to travel when and where we want.

We could easily get by with 1 electric car and 1 gas powered, however the price is still too high on electric vehicles. 

I think solid state batteries will be the game changer required to push them over the edge and make them cost comparable to gasoline powered vehicles.

Forget the price, how will you charge these things?  In New York for example, most people live in apartments or condos or whatever.  Park on the street.  How are you going to charge up hundreds of cars overnight on the street?   Add in all those who have homes, but no garages.  The infrastructure is a million miles away for this yet.  I just don't see it happening anytime soon

36 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

Forget the price, how will you charge these things?  In New York for example, most people live in apartments or condos or whatever.  Park on the street.  How are you going to charge up hundreds of cars overnight on the street?   Add in all those who have homes, but no garages.  The infrastructure is a million miles away for this yet.  I just don't see it happening anytime soon

I live in an apartment in the burbs. No chargers. Our green government has big ideas with no plans to back it up. Yet they still tax and spend on all this shlt.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MTSkiBum said:

We could easily get by with 1 electric car and 1 gas powered, however the price is still too high on electric vehicles. 

Yep, they cost too much. Range isn’t great either, though you could definitely get by with a second hybrid or gas powered for any road trips. But I’d like to buy an EV and I just can’t bring myself to spend that much $$, and for what? Won’t make much of a dent on global warming if only wealthy people can afford one

5 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

Yep, they cost too much. Range isn’t great either, though you could definitely get by with a second hybrid or gas powered for any road trips. But I’d like to buy an EV and I just can’t bring myself to spend that much $$, and for what? Won’t make much of a dent on global warming if only wealthy people can afford one

Next vehicle(if the supporting infrastructure is built out enough) I'm thinking of getting is the Chevy Blazer EV .  320 miles on a single charge.  Has to come down in price some and I'm not getting one while I have a perfectly functioning vehicle, but I could see in 5 or 6 years making the switch.

ETA: If I were to move to a different climate, where I don't need AWD 4 months of the year, i might get something smaller. 

I'd like an EV Truck. And no I don't tow very often.

12 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

I'd like an EV Truck. And no I don't tow very often.

The Ford one looks pretty cool.

I'm a sci-fi geek and read Battlefield Earth long long ago before Hubbard out out dyanetics etc.

In there it talks about nuclear powered Ev cars.  Is that the only way this makes sense?  Essentially the thing runs perpetually forever.  One charge is all you'll ever need?

We replaced our old Honda minivan back in the spring because I got tired of having to continually tell the b1tches made wet by our awesome Odyssey that I was married. 

Anyways we ended up getting a Honda CR-V Hybrid since it had the most cargo room for a small SUV.  Works great for the monthly trips out to the coast.  The distance would be cutting it close for a full EV - especially when you never know when a traffic backup can add 1+ hrs to a trip - so we never really considered going that route. As everyone points out there are way too many question marks at this point. 

It's a bummer that even hybrid vehicles like this will be banned for sale come 2035 since it also runs on the debil gasoline. 

20 minutes ago, mmmmm...beer said:

I'm a sci-fi geek and read Battlefield Earth long long ago before Hubbard out out dyanetics etc.

In there it talks about nuclear powered Ev cars.  Is that the only way this makes sense?  Essentially the thing runs perpetually forever.  One charge is all you'll ever need?

I wouldn't mind getting a nuclear powered jump suit like in Starship Troopers.  :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, DonS said:

We replaced our old Honda minivan back in the spring because I got tired of having to continually tell the b1tches made wet by our awesome Odyssey that I was married. 

Anyways we ended up getting a Honda CR-V Hybrid since it had the most cargo room for a small SUV.  Works great for the monthly trips out to the coast.  The distance would be cutting it close for a full EV - especially when you never know when a traffic backup can add 1+ hrs to a trip - so we never really considered going that route. As everyone points out there are way too many question marks at this point. 

It's a bummer that even hybrid vehicles like this will be banned for sale come 2035 since it also runs on the debil gasoline. 

Those CRVs have a really impressive amount of cargo space. I’ve got one I was trying to upgrade to a full size for more space, turns out the bigger ones don’t use the space nearly as well and actually even lost out to the CRV in some instances! 🤓

3 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

Those CRVs have a really impressive amount of cargo space. I’ve got one I was trying to upgrade to a full size for more space, turns out the bigger ones don’t use the space nearly as well and actually even lost out to the CRV in some instances! 🤓

Yep.  Before pulling the trigger we made sure our "little giant" ladder would fit for when we have to do projects at the beach house.  :thumbsup: