frank

Metal Mount Rushmore

2 hours ago, Bert said:

What are your thoughts on Motorhead?

Had a Lemmy poster on my wall and a Maiden tapestry on the ceiling. That’s when I really loved metal. Both sang about Aces.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Herbivore said:

all of the albums since Brave New World in 2000 are very good.

Agreed. So many awesome songs after Bruce Dickinson and Adrian Smith rejoined the band 

some of the RUSHMORES.....

METAL = Black Sabbath ~ Judas Priest ~ Iron Maiden ~ Metallica 

HARD ROCK = Led Zeppelin ~ Deep Purple ~ Uriah Heep ~ UFO

ROCK = The Beatles ~ The Rolling Stones ~ The Who ~ The Kinks

PROG ROCK = Yes ~ Genesis ~ King Crimson ~ RUSH ( more )

ART ROCK = Queen ~ Styx ~ Pink Floyd ~ Jethro Tull

to be continued...

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Big Guy said:

ART ROCK = Queen ~ Styx ~ Pink Floyd ~ Kansas 

to be continued...

I’ve seen eleven of those bands in concert.All of the metal bands. Bra!!!🤟🏿

57 minutes ago, Big Guy said:

to be continued...

Good lists, except for UFO and Uriah Heap. Most people do not know them. I think Van Halen and AC/DC would be better choices.  

All Time Mount Rushmore

Beatles

Led Zep

Pink Floyd

Black Sabbath

18 hours ago, DonS said:

I've never listened to Slipnot.  Maybe I should check them out.

Huge TOOL fan as you can tell from my other posts.

I just recently grew to appreciate Mastodon. My son turned me on to Opeth several years ago.  Recently Opeth and Mastodon toured together so my son and I met in Salt Lake City for their show. 

Mastodon was focking awesome. 

18 hours ago, DonS said:

:thumbsup:

You boys ever see Gojira?  They are focking awesome live. 

I actually got tix for Metallica on their Hard Wired tour in order to see Gojira as I've seen Metallica 3 times previously.  It was a stadium show (CenturyLink in Seattle) so it was sub-optimal.

Since then I've see Gojira 3 times in smaller venues and they were incredible. 

These are my faves from 2000+, and most days Opeth is probably my favorite band, period.   I don't think I've listened to a band more since I first encountered them which was in between Ghost Reveries and Watershed.   I don't see a ton of concerts, but I did get to see the tour you talked of this year when they went to Milwaukee.   Just might be the highlight of all the concerts I've been to.  Seeing them live was amazing, and I was surprised just how great the sound was and it made the music and musicianship stand out even more.      Brann might be my favorite drummer currently, so of course Mastodon was also great live.  

I also like and saw Gojira when they came through Madison.   Small little venue like you said - I think the Sylvee only holds 2500.  

If it was just MY personal metal Mount Rushmore, it would Sabbath, Maiden, Opeth.   If Tool is allowed, them. If not, I would debate in my head Mastodon/Megadeth/Slayer. 

19 hours ago, Bert said:

I don't know to be honest.  They are in their own world.  Most of their songs lack the heavy guitars you get with Metallica, Maiden, Priest, Megadeath,etc.  The wife loves Tool so I have been to a fair amount of shows.  It just doesn't feel like heavy metal to me.  

I hear you.   I just asked because when I think of them I usually start with something, but have metal in it - prog metal.   Same with bands like NIN that Don brought up, I consider them metal because I usually say they are industrial metal.   

13 minutes ago, BuckSwope said:

These are my faves from 2000+, and most days Opeth is probably my favorite band, period.   I don't think I've listened to a band more since I first encountered them which was in between Ghost Reveries and Watershed.   I don't see a ton of concerts, but I did get to see the tour you talked of this year when they went to Milwaukee.   Just might be the highlight of all the concerts I've been to.  Seeing them live was amazing, and I was surprised just how great the sound was and it made the music and musicianship stand out even more.      Brann might be my favorite drummer currently, so of course Mastodon was also great live.  

I also like and saw Gojira when they came through Madison.   Small little venue like you said - I think the Sylvee only holds 2500.  

My son and I were pleasently surprised at how good the audio mix was at the SLC venue for the Opeth/Mastodon show.  My son caught them again when the 2nd half of their tour brought them to Portland, but he said the sound for that show wasn't as good.  It can definitely be hit or miss when it comes to small venues. 

My favorite memory from that show was watching the bassist for Opeth during Cusp Of Eternity.  Didn't realize how short that dude was so I ended up calling him the Bass Hobbit.  Him crushing the bass groove throughout the song was awesome.  :thumbsup:

Tony Iommi

Bill Ward

Geezer Butler

Ozzy Osbourne

Black Sabbath is where metal really started and nobody ever really did it better than the Parinoid album.   I am not sure this metal perfomance has ever been topped.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jonmx said:

Tony Iommi

Bill Ward

Geezer Butler

Ozzy Osbourne

Black Sabbath is where metal really started and nobody ever really did it better than the Parinoid album.   I am not sure this metal perfomance has ever been topped.  

Ahem, Led Zeppelin - you ever hear of them??

(I am kidding). 

Great topic. Agree with the masses having Metallica, Priest, Maiden and Sabbath, but Motorhead not making the cut feels wrong. I suppose I can take solace in the fact that even Lemmy didn't consider them metal. He used to open their shows with "we're Motorhead and we play rock n roll!" Although the first time I saw them he said "we're Motorhead and we're going to kick your a$$!"

Anyone that likes hard rock, metal or punk owes it to themselves to listen to some Motorhead. I'm looking at you, guys that claim to like those genres but only know Ace of Spades. That song is good, but might not make my personal list of their top 40 tunes. The album 1916 is a gawddamm masterpiece. And being an old punk rock fan, I can tell you that even the most jaded Hardcore fans usually had a soft spot for Motorhead. Wish I knew how to make umlauts with my phone.

2 hours ago, Herbivore said:

Good lists, except for UFO and Uriah Heap. Most people do not know them. I think Van Halen and AC/DC would be better choices.  

All Time Mount Rushmore

Beatles

Led Zep

Pink Floyd

Black Sabbath

True, I'd agree with both of those in the hard rock category ......I knew I was forgetting somebody

Just like I originally added KANSAS to the Art Rock category and then took them out in favor of Jethro Tull, I'll make adjustments.

3 hours ago, Big Guy said:

HARD ROCK = Led Zeppelin ~ AC / DC ~ Van Halen ~ Deep Purple 

to be continued...

fixored

please let me know if I got any wrong. And no way would I ever put Motorhead above Deep Purple