Jump to content
JustinCharge

Jimmy Garoppolo throws to just one spot

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, MDC said:

I was thinking of Dallas, Minny and San Fran as Philly’s main challenge in the NFC. I wouldn’t want to play a wild card game on the road in SF but I just can’t see them getting to a SB now.

Agreed, SB is probably out of the question. 

I don't think Minny can beat any of the other 3 teams though, I'll never trust Cousins in a January game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Reality said:

Agreed, SB is probably out of the question. 

I don't think Minny can beat any of the other 3 teams though, I'll never trust Cousins in a January game. 

They beat Buffalo and are in striking range of the #1 seed so I can’t totally dismiss them. But I’d rather play them in a playoff situation than the Cowboys for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MDC said:

This has to put the kibosh on the 49ers title hood though, right? They can win a playoff game with that D but I can’t see them getting to the big game so weak at QB.

Yea it's not good with the Eagles and Dallas coming on now and looking good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, BeenHereBefore said:

Yea it's not good with the Eagles and Dallas coming on now and looking good.

I can’t wait for the Christmas Eve game. :thumbsup: 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Phillip Rivers almost unretired and came back to play for the Colts.  But they got Matt Ryan and he sounded disappointed they didn't ask him.  Maybe the 49ers could get Rivers?  I don't know if the Colts still own his rights but I think not.

 

https://horseshoeheroes.com/2022/05/05/philip-rivers-considered-return-colts/

 

When the 2022 NFL season starts, the Indianapolis Colts will have their fifth starting quarterback in as many years. One of the previous starting quarterbacks was Philip Rivers.

Rivers was the starter for Indianapolis during the 2020 season and he recently thought he might have had to reprise the role of the Colts quarterback.

In an interview with Al.com, Rivers admitted that when Indy traded away Carson Wentz in March, Rivers “kind of perked up just a little and thought, What if? What if they called?”

However, the Colts were able to make a move for Matt Ryan in what Rivers calls a “great trade.”

Philip Rivers was ready for the Colts to call

This isn’t the only time Rivers thought he would have to step in and help the Colts. His name was floated throughout last season as a possible candidate for teams that were having quarterback struggles, but Rivers said he only would’ve come out of retirement for Indy.

If something had happened and the Colts were in a bind, I would have done it. But it didn’t, and I wasn’t pulling for it to happen. Still, it was fun to stay ready and throw routes again, but that time has passed.

Rivers never got the call last season as Carson Wentz started all 17 games and he didn’t get the call this offseason either as Indy was able to acquire Matt Ryan.

However, that’s all right with Rivers, who is comfortable with his decision to retire and begin his career as a high school football head coach.

His one season with the Colts was his 17th year in the NFL and the only season he didn’t play with the Chargers. During that season, Rivers threw for 4,169 yards, 24 touchdowns, and 11 interceptions.

He helped Indianapolis to an 11-5 record and a playoff appearance.

Many have compared the Ryan acquisition to when the Colts signed Rivers. Both quarterbacks joined late in their careers but were believed to be the right piece to help.

Ryan, who is younger than Rivers and intends to play more than one season in Indy, is hoping he can help Indy win the division and go deeper in the playoffs than the team did in the one season with Rivers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MDC said:

They beat Buffalo and are in striking range of the #1 seed so I can’t totally dismiss them. But I’d rather play them in a playoff situation than the Cowboys for sure.

You can't dismiss thrm but they are a very overrated 10-2. The Buffalo win was a total circus.  If they were to land the 1 seed maybe.  I don't think they are nearly as good outside.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

baker mayfield just got cut by the panthers.  i would think cutting him is more about resisting the temptation to play him because if he plays 70% of the snaps they have to give the browns a 4th instead of a 5th.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

You can't dismiss thrm but they are a very overrated 10-2. The Buffalo win was a total circus.  If they were to land the 1 seed maybe.  I don't think they are nearly as good outside.   

Me neither but with Jimmy G out they maybe the 3rd best team in the NFC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, MDC said:

Me neither but with Jimmy G out they maybe the 3rd best team in the NFC.

Im not hating on Jimmy.  He wins games.  Im not saying there is zero drop off.  But really how much does it matter? Getting thrown

into action, Purdy at least could move the ball.  They just beat a similar team as Minny 33-17 with Purdy.  

I would pick the 9ers all day over Minny with Purdy at QB.

The NFC does suck this year.  I agree there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

Im not hating on Jimmy.  He wins games.  Im not saying there is zero drop off.  But really how much does it matter? Getting thrown

into action, Purdy at least could move the ball.  They just beat a similar team as Minny 33-17 with Purdy.  

I would pick the 9ers all day over Minny with Purdy at QB.

The NFC does suck this year.  I agree there.

Pre JG injury I’d have had them in the same tier as Dallas and Philly. Now I have them a tier down with the Vikes.

I think the NFC’s best is on par with the AFC. But the AFC definitely has more actually good teams. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MDC said:

Pre JG injury I’d have had them in the same tier as Dallas and Philly. Now I have them a tier down with the Vikes.

I think the NFC’s best is on par with the AFC. But the AFC definitely has more actually good teams. 

 

I had 9ers as the most dangerous team in NFC come playoffs.  People seem to forget they were in the NFCG last season.  

Purdy in, not sure.  Not sure if anyone knows.  What if he comes out and plays solid football? I have said it with other backups.    I said all year that if the Jets are actually decent and serious about this season then Mike White is a better option than Wilson.  Same with Heineke in DC.  Both hr and White have shown they can move the ball and compete.  Both better than the guys they replaced.  

Not saying Purdy will be good.  But what if he is?  I wouldn't be shocked if he came out and played solid football the rest of the regular season and they looked no worse.  

I didn't watch the whole game but what was almost his only NFL action, he came in and didn't look bad.  He won't be asked to do a ton. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

I had 9ers as the most dangerous team in NFC come playoffs.  People seem to forget they were in the NFCG last season.  

Purdy in, not sure.  Not sure if anyone knows.  What if he comes out and plays solid football? I have said it with other backups.    I said all year that if the Jets are actually decent and serious about this season then Mike White is a better option than Wilson.  Same with Heineke in DC.  Both hr and White have shown they can move the ball and compete.  Both better than the guys they replaced.  

Not saying Purdy will be good.  But what if he is?  I wouldn't be shocked if he came out and played solid football the rest of the regular season and they looked no worse.  

I didn't watch the whole game but what was almost his only NFL action, he came in and didn't look bad.  He won't be asked to do a ton. 

9ers have excellent pieces, but other qb's have had a hard time winning in SF.  JG is not the most gifted qb in the league, but has intangibles that translate into winning and knows the system and players very well.  He makes the machine go.

 

Hopeful and skeptical over here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like what Fred had to say about Purdy, who knows how this will play out but, he has a point.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bier Meister said:

9ers have excellent pieces, but other qb's have had a hard time winning in SF.  JG is not the most gifted qb in the league, but has intangibles that translate into winning and knows the system and players very well.  He makes the machine go.

 

Hopeful and skeptical over here.

I agree.  Maybe Jimmy gets proven to be more valuable than he gets credit for.  All I know is they beat a good Dolphins team 33 to 17 with him in.  He threw 2 TDs.  His stat line looked like a Jimmy G stat line.  Like you said the intangibles may come home to roost at some point.  With their defense they can win games 20-17.   

What they need is to get their run game going.  McCaffrey has had some doozies running the ball lately.  They miss Eli Mitchell.   

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Reality said:

I like what Fred had to say about Purdy, who knows how this will play out but, he has a point.

 

Definitely has a purdy mouf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

I agree.  Maybe Jimmy gets proven to be more valuable than he gets credit for.  All I know is they beat a good Dolphins team 33 to 17 with him in.  He threw 2 TDs.  His stat line looked like a Jimmy G stat line.  Like you said the intangibles may come home to roost at some point.  With their defense they can win games 20-17.   

What they need is to get their run game going.  McCaffrey has had some doozies running the ball lately.  They miss Eli Mitchell.   

I agree with a lot of what you just stated.

 

I do think mason filled in nicely... it would be a very good thing for SF and CMC to reduce his snaps/touches.

If i had no rooting interest, this still would have been one the games i most would have wanted to watch this weekend... the true chess match where you have elite offense vs elite defense.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, listen2me 23 said:

I agree.  Maybe Jimmy gets proven to be more valuable than he gets credit for.  All I know is they beat a good Dolphins team 33 to 17 with him in.  He threw 2 TDs.  His stat line looked like a Jimmy G stat line.  Like you said the intangibles may come home to roost at some point.  With their defense they can win games 20-17.   

What they need is to get their run game going.  McCaffrey has had some doozies running the ball lately.  They miss Eli Mitchell.   

Garoppolo is a stud QB. He will never get enough credit. He's not the same player, but the same category of Alex Smith. Not every great QB will win a SB. Sometimes not great QBs win instead. It's just how it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, craftsman said:

Garoppolo is a stud QB. He will never get enough credit. He's not the same player, but the same category of Alex Smith. Not every great QB will win a SB. Sometimes not great QBs win instead. It's just how it is.

Stud is a strong word.   I can see the alex smith comparisons tho.  Alex Smith I think brought more because he could move.  

We shall see.  When 9ers roll over their 1st round opponent we will revisit.   

I would pick them over Minnesota with Purdy at QB.  Eagles maybe not.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 2022 Minnesota Vikings have a -5.5% DVOA but are 10-2.

They're an incredible 9-0 in one-score games.

The 2021 Minnesota Vikings had a 2.6% DVOA They were 6-8 in one-score games.

The perfect example two years in a row of close-game luck just in opposite directions

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

The 2022 Minnesota Vikings have a -5.5% DVOA but are 10-2.

They're an incredible 9-0 in one-score games.

The 2021 Minnesota Vikings had a 2.6% DVOA They were 6-8 in one-score games.

The perfect example two years in a row of close-game luck just in opposite directions

Yup, point differential tells that story, Minnesota has the lowest difference of any of the teams that are considered really good. Of course, I'd rather win close games than lose them. I don't think it's sustainable though, especially in the playoffs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/5/2022 at 11:41 AM, listen2me 23 said:

I had 9ers as the most dangerous team in NFC come playoffs.  People seem to forget they were in the NFCG last season.  

Purdy in, not sure.  Not sure if anyone knows.  What if he comes out and plays solid football? I have said it with other backups.    I said all year that if the Jets are actually decent and serious about this season then Mike White is a better option than Wilson.  Same with Heineke in DC.  Both hr and White have shown they can move the ball and compete.  Both better than the guys they replaced.  

Not saying Purdy will be good.  But what if he is?  I wouldn't be shocked if he came out and played solid football the rest of the regular season and they looked no worse.  

I didn't watch the whole game but what was almost his only NFL action, he came in and didn't look bad.  He won't be asked to do a ton. 

a lot of QBs come in and do well early on until defenses get tape on them. then the holes are exposed and everyone sees why they are a backup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports that Jimmy Garoppolo (foot) could have a chance to return in "7-8 weeks."

Garoppolo avoided the Lisfranc injury, as has been speculated for a bit. That 7-8 week timetable would put Garoppolo available at around the Divisional Round or NFC Championship game, assuming they get there. The 49ers will roll with Brock Purdy and Josh Johnson for the time being, something which significantly reduces their chances of surviving long enough to get Garoppolo back on the field. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports that Jimmy Garoppolo (foot) could have a chance to return in "7-8 weeks."

Garoppolo avoided the Lisfranc injury, as has been speculated for a bit. That 7-8 week timetable would put Garoppolo available at around the Divisional Round or NFC Championship game, assuming they get there. The 49ers will roll with Brock Purdy and Josh Johnson for the time being, something which significantly reduces their chances of surviving long enough to get Garoppolo back on the field. 

Niners are fine with Purdy. Jimmy won a playoff game throwing it 7 or 8 times. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, shorepatrol said:

Niners are fine with Purdy. Jimmy won a playoff game throwing it 7 or 8 times. 

No. They need Jimmy back or it’s a lost cause

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IGotWorms said:

No. They need Jimmy back or it’s a lost cause

We'll see I suppose. This D isn't healthy yet. CM getting comfy. I'm optimistic 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/7/2022 at 11:19 AM, Reality said:

Minnesota is an underdog at Detroit Sunday. 

Blown away by that.

Lordy...

Besides that, this Purdy kid has some swagger... 9ers are a wagon right now.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/7/2022 at 12:19 PM, Reality said:

Minnesota is an underdog at Detroit Sunday. 

Blown away by that.

Setup game  and I was on it too and mentioned it on the wager thread. The wager show on ESPN was talking about it all week as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bier Meister said:

Deebo carted off.

 

Purdy is doing fine 👍

Brutal about Deebo, hopefully not as serious as it looked. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Cloaca du jour said:

Called it

Well see

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, shorepatrol said:

Purdy is Jimmy with more mobility. 

It's early but, doesn't seem to float the ball either... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Reality said:

It's early but

It is. He did work against a good D with Tom Brady in his head today. I'm not unhappy

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/5/2022 at 9:21 AM, Reality said:

Agreed, SB is probably out of the question. 

I don't think Minny can beat any of the other 3 teams though, I'll never trust Cousins in a January game. 

SB no longer out of the question. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/5/2022 at 2:41 PM, listen2me 23 said:

I had 9ers as the most dangerous team in NFC come playoffs.  People seem to forget they were in the NFCG last season.  

Purdy in, not sure.  Not sure if anyone knows.  What if he comes out and plays solid football? I have said it with other backups.    I said all year that if the Jets are actually decent and serious about this season then Mike White is a better option than Wilson.  Same with Heineke in DC.  Both hr and White have shown they can move the ball and compete.  Both better than the guys they replaced.  

Not saying Purdy will be good.  But what if he is?  I wouldn't be shocked if he came out and played solid football the rest of the regular season and they looked no worse.  

I didn't watch the whole game but what was almost his only NFL action, he came in and didn't look bad.  He won't be asked to do a ton. 

Purdy ain't too shabby 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×