edjr

Update - ‘Embarrassingly out of touch’: 'Saturday Night Live' skit making light of COVID-19 draws widespread backlash.

1 minute ago, lickin_starfish said:

New York. The only people I know who were hospitalized were also previously injected for it. 🤷‍♂️

Yep, people had all kinds of different experiences and encounters with covid. 

1 minute ago, BuckSwope said:

Yep, people had all kinds of different experiences and encounters with covid. 

And yet, they tried to mandate a one size fits all experiment.

Just now, lickin_starfish said:

And yet, they tried to mandate a one size fits all experiment.

They did, and I get why.   In hindsight it probably wasn't the right move in certain cases, but I get why it was tried.  

24 minutes ago, BuckSwope said:

You live in Montana or something?  ;) 

I know several who had it enough for hospitalization, but not death thankfully.  

I've known a few people who were hospitalized for it but that was in 2020.  I had a close friend and my grandmother died from it that first year.  Since then, crickets.  I haven't heard of a single person who's has serious issues from it.  Lately it's been like a 3 day cold for all the people I know who have gotten it.

37 minutes ago, lickin_starfish said:

I don't know anybody who died from coovids. I don't know anybody who knows anybody that died from it. Aside from the masks, I wouldn't have known there was the deadliest pandemic in history going on.

I knew one guy who died from "covid". he was 55. Died April 2020

https://obituaries.gloucestertimes.com/obituary/william-greeke-1078992422

Played softball with him and golfed with him in a bunch of tournaments. 

37 minutes ago, lickin_starfish said:

New York. The only people I know who were hospitalized were also previously injected for it. 🤷‍♂️

Cool anecdote, troll

Edit:  To give my own anecdote, in my experience most Covid deniers tend to hang around other Covid deniers.  And thus, would be less likely to admit if they were actually sick/hospitalized with Covid or admit if an immediate family member died from it.

11 minutes ago, lickin_starfish said:

Get your booster, Timmy. Don't be a science denier.

Says the guy quoting “stats” from the 3 people he knows, lol

35 minutes ago, TimHauck said:

Why the quotation marks?

Obit says "complications from COVID"   I assume that's why

8 minutes ago, TimHauck said:

Says the guy quoting “stats” from the 3 people he knows, lol

Everyone knows that personal experience is not as good as cherry-picking quotes from the world wide web to fit your narrative. 

:doh:

• Thanks 1

Just now, supermike80 said:

Obit says "complications from COVID"   I assume that's why

Yeah, complications are how people die from most illnesses.  HTH.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, craftsman said:

Everyone knows that personal experience is not as good as cherry-picking quotes from the world wide web to fit your narrative. 

:doh:

I don’t cherry pick.  The data around the effectiveness of Covid vaccines against death is consistent worldwide.  Unless the whole world is in on the conspiracy I guess.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, TimHauck said:

I don’t cherry pick.  The data around the effectiveness of Covid vaccines against death is consistent worldwide.  Unless the whole world is in on the conspiracy I guess.

;)

Just now, TimHauck said:

Feel free to prove me wrong 

You haven't proven yourself right. Why would I waste time trying to prove something wrong where on the premise it is wrong to begin with? 🤪

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BuckSwope said:

Yep, a couple people at work and I have a notification of close contact of a + case from the school for one of my kids.    

I was being a big facetious with that last part; I'm not surprised some people know a few who got it recently.  I probably know people, but they just had a cough for a few days and stayed home and I was unaware. 

I'm more serious about the hospitalizations and deaths.  Each week 2500 probably older, morbidly obese, type 2 diabetic, 3 pack a day smokers made it this far only to succumb to Omicron?  :dunno: 

25 minutes ago, Sean Mooney said:

He should feel free to prove he has an IQ over 4. 

Is that what your middle schoolers teach you? What a zinger. :rolleyes:

3 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

I was being a big facetious with that last part; I'm not surprised some people know a few who got it recently.  I probably know people, but they just had a cough for a few days and stayed home and I was unaware. 

I'm more serious about the hospitalizations and deaths.  Each week 2500 probably older, morbidly obese, type 2 diabetic, 3 pack a day smokers made it this far only to succumb to Omicron?  :dunno: 

To be fair, I know 0 people who have died via drunk driving (hell, car accident in general i cant think of one either) or other common forms of death.  It says zip about reality and stats though.  

2500/week isn't a huge number in a country of 300M+ people, especially when there can be some blurring of what was the direct cause of death. 

1 minute ago, BuckSwope said:

To be fair, I know 0 people who have died via drunk driving (hell, car accident in general i cant think of one either) or other common forms of death.  It says zip about reality and stats though.  

2500/week isn't a huge number in a country of 300M+ people, especially when there can be some blurring of what was the direct cause of death. 

The country has let in over 5 million illegals since Biden took office. We need a few more viruses to keep up.

10 minutes ago, BuckSwope said:

Interestingly, 10,000 people/year die from drunk driving.  That's over an order of magnitude less than the current Omicron death rate.

• Drunk driving accidents are responsible for 10,000 deaths every year, and about 1/3 of all traffic-related deaths, according to the NHTSA.

https://www.bankrate.com/insurance/car/drunk-driving/#:~:text=Drunk driving accidents are responsible,deaths%2C according to the NHTSA.

2 hours ago, BuckSwope said:

They did, and I get why.   In hindsight it probably wasn't the right move in certain cases, but I get why it was tried.  

Not really hindsight.  Everyone realized quite early that it didn't seem to hit young folks that hard. 

If you recall, at the very, very beginning, young people were out for spring break in 2020.  The covid police couldn't have that so they ramped up the anecdotal stories showing some 28 yo in Iowa dying to make sure everyone was right properly terrified.

6 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Interestingly, 10,000 people/year die from drunk driving.  That's over an order of magnitude less than the current Omicron death rate.

https://www.bankrate.com/insurance/car/drunk-driving/#:~:text=Drunk driving accidents are responsible,deaths%2C according to the NHTSA.

It wasn't a literal comment about stats and frequency, just more a comment on how closed our experiences can be and how that doesn't really point to incorrect or correct stats on their own.  

Just now, nobody said:

Not really hindsight.  Everyone realized quite early that it didn't seem to hit young folks that hard. 

If you recall, at the very, very beginning, young people were out for spring break in 2020.  The covid police couldn't have that so they ramped up the anecdotal stories showing some 28 yo in Iowa dying to make sure everyone was right properly terrified.

That’s relevant to colleges mandating it, but not as much to the employer mandates.  While I have always been against the mandates, they likely did save a not-insignificant number of lives.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, nobody said:

No "everyone" didn't know this early in 2020.  Plus, it wasn't just concern about the health of the kids directly, it was trying to migitagate the spread to other populations.  

Mistakes were made all around, and I don't think we really learned much from the last 2 years besides how to turn what feels like everything political.  

1 minute ago, TimHauck said:

That’s relevant to colleges mandating it, but not as much to the employer mandates.  While I have always been against the mandates, they likely did save a not-insignificant number of lives.

I don't think so.  The government is the largest employer in the nation. They mandated government employees and contractors get the shot.  That was the wrong call.  People seem to be acknowledging it was the wrong call at this point.

2 minutes ago, BuckSwope said:

No "everyone" didn't know this early in 2020.  Plus, it wasn't just concern about the health of the kids directly, it was trying to migitagate the spread to other populations.  

Mistakes were made all around, and I don't think we really learned much from the last 2 years besides how to turn what feels like everything political.  

Great.  Another person who needs to be super literal.  83.75% of people knew it didn't hit young people as hard. 

That fell to 42.68% when the government ramped up the propaganda.

Shìt the original messaging was, "Don't panic.  It doesn't seem to hit young people as hard"

Then they realized they couldn't say that if they were going exert control, so they made sure to switch up that messaging right quick and in a hurry.

15 minutes ago, BuckSwope said:

It wasn't a literal comment about stats and frequency, just more a comment on how closed our experiences can be and how that doesn't really point to incorrect or correct stats on their own.  

We knew by the end of April of 2020 that the significant majority of people dying from COVID were people who either elderly (not just "old"), or had other advanced medical conditions such as obesity, diabetes, asthma, and cancer.

7 minutes ago, nobody said:

I don't think so.  The government is the largest employer in the nation. They mandated government employees and contractors get the shot.  That was the wrong call.  People seem to be acknowledging it was the wrong call at this point.

Well as @BuckSwope mentioned, the biggest hindsight about the mandates is that the vaccines weren’t effective against transmission once Omicron hit.  So that’s the primary reason it was the “wrong call.”

2 minutes ago, TimHauck said:

Well as @BuckSwope mentioned, the biggest hindsight about the mandates is that the vaccines weren’t effective against transmission once Omicron hit.  So that’s the primary reason it was the “wrong call.”

Which smart people were saying already.  I remember having that exact argument.  

This "in hindsight" thing is bunk.  Hindsight for you and buck perhaps.  So since you guys have a proven track record of collosal misreads of the situation, how about you guys and people like you stay the fūck out of it and let the people who knew what the fūck was going on handle this shìt?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, nobody said:

Great.  Another person who needs to be super literal.  83.75% of people knew it didn't hit young people as hard. 

No, I'm not saying that.  Your experience and info must have been much different than mine.  Yes, it was common knowledge pretty that kids weren't seeing as many issues. 

You seem to be claiming that some of the measures were implemented to protect them anyway, and to freak people out.  Never once did I think or get info that this was the case- it was to mitigate the spread to teachers and other at risk populations knowing how kids are with germs.  

Not once did I worry about my 2 kids' health, but I did worry about the 2 adults who live with me who have lung issues.  

Whatever, like I said big mistakes were made in the release of info and truthful debate. To me, the biggest mistake made was it became instantly political, and that is the lesson we dont seem to be capable to learning currently.  A I can do is hope we do before we encounter something similar. 

10 minutes ago, nobody said:

Which smart people were saying already.  I remember having that exact argument.  

This "in hindsight" thing is bunk.  Hindsight for you and buck perhaps.  So since you guys have a proven track record of collosal misreads of the situation, how about you guys and people like you stay the fūck out of it and let the people who knew what the fūck was going on handle this shìt?

You mean people predicting that an immune-escape variant would come along in the future?  Sure, there were some people saying that, but most of the people claiming to be “smart” were probably pointing to the Provincetown cluster as proof it didn’t work against infection which wasn’t true.

Edit: While again I was against the mandates, I also believe part of Biden’s reasoning was to increase vaccine uptake and reduce deaths, which surely happened.

24 minutes ago, nobody said:

:first:

Post of the year.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, jerryskids said:

Those stats are cooked.  Do you know how they determine when someone dies "from drunk driving?"