nobody

Jeff Saturday hired as new Colts head coach and that's raciss

15 minutes ago, Fireballer said:

Saturday is probably an exceptional leader of men with a great football IQ. Irsay would obviously know this.  Thats all they need.  Dudes will run through walls for a leader that they want to follow. 

BUT. HE'S. WHITE!!!!!!  :nono:

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, TimHauck said:

I said earlier that I know it has happened more recently in other sports 

I know, I am just still trying to figure out how its a story in the first place

I own a business, I hire whoever I want for whatever position I want

Just now, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

I know, I am just still trying to figure out how its a story in the first place

I own a business, I hire whoever I want for whatever position I want

Even Pat McAfee, who played with Saturday, was shocked by it.  It’s definitely a story.  Just shouldn’t have had a race angle.

1 minute ago, TimHauck said:

Even Pat McAfee, who played with Saturday, was shocked by it.  It’s definitely a story.  Just shouldn’t have had a race angle.

yah I guess its a story, because people want to make it one, I don't think the job of HC needs coaching experience, I think its mostly leadership and trusting your assistants

Tomlin barely had any experience and hes been one of the best HC's of alltime, I think he was only a CB coach

20 minutes ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

yah I guess its a story, because people want to make it one, I don't think the job of HC needs coaching experience, I think its mostly leadership and trusting your assistants

Tomlin barely had any experience and hes been one of the best HC's of alltime, I think he was only a CB coach

Tomlin had 12 years of coaching experience prior to getting the Steelers job- including 5-6 years as an NFL coach under Dungy and Gruden. He was a wide receivers coach in addition to his defensive back work in his lifetime. 

How did Dungee get in the HOF, and so fast, and Coughlin still isn’t in? Coughlin is the much better coach. It’s not close. 

19 minutes ago, Sean Mooney said:

Tomlin had 12 years of coaching experience prior to getting the Steelers job- including 5-6 years as an NFL coach under Dungy and Gruden. He was a wide receivers coach in addition to his defensive back work in his lifetime. 

and zero years playing

I would think a center calling line calls for 15 years who is a HOF would be able to figure things out

14 minutes ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

and zero years playing

I would think a center calling line calls for 15 years who is a HOF would be able to figure things out

So now you want to move the goalposts on that discussion too?

4 minutes ago, Sean Mooney said:

So now you want to move the goalposts on that discussion too?

what goalposts have I moved?  I don't think being a HC has any particular qualification, other than being a good leader, and being able to recognize how to get the best out of your players, something a tv analyst can do as well

I think Romo would be a great HC as well

3 hours ago, Sean Mooney said:

Take away the race aspect for a minute (from both sides of the argument).....does anyone want to argue that Jeff Saturday was qualified for the position? Really his hire was an insult to white and black coaches all up and down the NFL and college ranks. 

Eh, he might be.

Most employers make the same mistake.  They take a guy or gal who is exceptional at one thing and make him or her the leader because of that when many times, the skills that made a person great at one job don't translate to leadership.  In reality, the best head coach needs to be the best organizer, the best motivator, the best at setting culture, and the best at reading a situation and directing high level policy.  

All that being said, it's probably a dumb hire, but we don't need to act like coaching football needs decades of training.

Colts did the right thing and it's showing.

They hired a smart white known leader as their coach. They should give Saturday a 10 year extension on his contract. :thumbsup:

The Colts blew it today, should have had it

4 hours ago, JustinCharge said:

its a free country.  quotas suck. you should get THAT, not the horrible reactions.

Link to me not getting that “quotas suck”?

the hell are you even talking about 

panties in a bunch because the team of the decade lost?

2 hours ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

yah I guess its a story, because people want to make it one, I don't think the job of HC needs coaching experience, I think its mostly leadership and trusting your 

It is all of the things you mentioned but coaches put in their time working up the ranks and learning under other coaches. Even the least experienced examples you can find. 

that’s what made it a goofy hire. 

personally I’m fine with it but I completely understand the shock and backlash. 

Jeff Saturday is INTERIM Head Coach.  People are making too much out of this.  He has strong ties to the Colts organization, and he knows the game of NFL Football.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, craftsman said:

Colts did the right thing and it's showing.

They hired a smart white known leader as their coach. They should give Saturday a 10 year extension on his contract. :thumbsup:

Why does it matter that he’s white?  They fired a white guy too

2 hours ago, TimHauck said:

It matters because there are a ton of black people speaking out against hiring a white guy.

3 hours ago, TimHauck said:

Because utilit99 is a racist idiot. Among being other types of idiots.

I think the hire in and of itself was not racist. I think the argument tact some people are taking in defending it borders on racism.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Gepetto said:

Jeff Saturday is INTERIM Head Coach.  People are making too much out of this.  He has strong ties to the Colts organization, and he knows the game of NFL Football.

Correct. But it's not really about anything other than pointless whining. 

16 hours ago, Gepetto said:

they also badly needed some Oline attn

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sean Mooney said:

Because utilit99 is a racist idiot. Among being other types of idiots.

I think the hire in and of itself was not racist. I think the argument tact some people are taking in defending it borders on racism.

you dont care about racism unless its whites doing it.  racist.

17 minutes ago, Sean Mooney said:

False. Idiot.

you dont think liberas of marthas vineyard rounding up migrants of color via the military and shipping them out isnt racism.  idiot.  and even if you did, you sure as hell didnt complain about it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JustinCharge said:

you dont think liberas of marthas vineyard rounding up migrants of color via the military and shipping them out isnt racism.  idiot.  and even if you did, you sure as hell didnt complain about it.

So that makes him a racist also.

31 minutes ago, JustinCharge said:

What does this have to do with Jeff Saturday and the Colts or further more when I said "I think the hire in and of itself was not racist. "

Do you not know how conversation works when you aren't running around here with your Chicken Little act?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

This is an interesting e-mail from Peter King's column today that is tangentially related to the Saturday stuff.

The e-mail is about Brian Flores suit: 

Interesting query. From Steve Cammett: “With the success of the Dolphins and Giants this season, in your opinion, how does it impact Brian Flores claims of racial bias? It appears the franchises made the correct hires based on skill and leadership, rather than race. I compared the resumes of Brian Flores and Brian Daboll. Daboll had to coach 20 years compared to Flores 10 years, before he became a head coach in the NFL.”

Interesting in that he is probably right that it might help adjust the idea that Daboll was unfairly hired, but also interesting in that it talks about the length of experience Daboll had to get the job (experience length that people in this thread are saying isn't important.)

2 minutes ago, Sean Mooney said:

This is an interesting e-mail from Peter King's column today that is tangentially related to the Saturday stuff.

The e-mail is about Brian Flores suit: 

Interesting in that he is probably right that it might help adjust the idea that Daboll was unfairly hired, but also interesting in that it talks about the length of experience Daboll had to get the job (experience length that people in this thread are saying isn't important.)

I don’t think there was a claim that Daboll was unqualified, just that they were making a sham of the Rooney rule and never gave Flores a chance.

Interestingly Panthers interim coach Steve Wilks had joined in on Flores’ lawsuit.  But pretty sure he won’t be staying on as HC…

21 hours ago, Reality said:

Well, either way, pretty impressed after 2 games. The team is playing better.

the next bill belecek?

21 hours ago, Gepetto said:

15 hours ago, RLLD said:

Correct. But it's not really about anything other than pointless whining. 

please 🙄

I don’t care about racism in the NFL and it’s overblown anyway. Forget that part. 

What does the interim label have to do with anything, aside from making the hire more perplexing? Why would the colts go out of their way to hire someone with no coaching experience to come in and be an interim coach? 
I’ll tell you….it’s because the interim label is nothing more than a convenient out if he turns out to be in way over his head. If the colts wanted a true interim coach, they would simply name someone already on staff with the expectation that they start the hiring process in the offseason. 

and make no mistake, I have no complaints myself about the hiring of Saturday but I find it odd that people are pretending not to understand the criticism of the move. Most people probably wouldn’t like someone with zero experience who didn’t apply for the job being handed a high level position in their industry 😂 

I love the hire because it’s fun and interesting but I certainly understand the complaints. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

please 🙄

I don’t care about racism in the NFL and it’s overblown anyway. Forget that part. 

What does the interim label have to do with anything, aside from making the hire more perplexing? Why would the colts go out of their way to hire someone with no coaching experience to come in and be an interim coach? 
I’ll tell you….it’s because the interim label is nothing more than a convenient out if he turns out to be in way over his head. If the colts wanted a true interim coach, they would simply name someone already on staff with the expectation that they start the hiring process in the offseason. 

and make no mistake, I have no complaints myself about the hiring of Saturday but I find it odd that people are pretending not to understand the criticism of the move. Most people probably wouldn’t like someone with zero experience who didn’t apply for the job being handed a high level position in their industry 😂 

I love the hire because it’s fun and interesting but I certainly understand the complaints. 

Have you ever fired or hired anyone?  Serious question.

Steve Kerr, was a PG (similar to an NFL Center or QB) and never coached.  He was in the front office of an NBA team, did some TV, had Basketball high IQ.  Hired as the Head Coach of the Warriors because the Owner thought it was the right choice. Leaders lead. 

Again, have you ever fired or hired anyone? 

Jeff Saturday checks all the coaching boxes.....sometimes you take a chance, especially with an interim label.  

14 minutes ago, KSB2424 said:

Steve Kerr, was a PG (similar to an NFL Center or QB) and never coached.  He was in the front office of an NBA team, did some TV, had Basketball high IQ.  Hired as the Head Coach of the Warriors because the Owner thought it was the right choice. Leaders lead. 

Jeff Saturday checks all the coaching boxes.....sometimes you take a chance, especially with an interim label.  

:thumbsup:

I'm not even sure why anyone would even question this hiring. Saturday was the "field general" on the offense when Peyton Manning was QB. Not the other way around. He would get in Manning's face and tell him what's up when Manning focked up. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, KSB2424 said:

Yes, I have. Much more hiring than firing, thankfully. 

The NBA isn’t a great comparison to the NFL for a few reasons but I’ll skip that… as you stated, Steve Kerr had front office experience in the NBA. 5? Years with the Suns I believe. Much easier to gauge someone’s leadership qualities when you have some body of work to reference at the pro level. He also technically coached within the Warriors organization prior to being officially named head coach. 

I appreciate the effort but Kerr actually had experience working in the NBA  

You state Jeff Saturday “checks all the boxes” yet he has no coaching experience or even front office experience at the college or NFL level. I already stated a few times within this thread that I like the hire. He was a smart player and well respected but that’s pretty much it. I love that they are taking a chance but it doesn’t discredit peoples skepticism of the hire. 

your mention of “especially with the interim label” is right in step with me saying that by slapping that label on the hire, they make it easier to take such a chance . 

Assuming you have hired someone before, do you usually hire candidates with no experience who didn’t apply for the position and then say to yourself “this candidate checks all boxes”?

serious question. 

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, TimHauck said:

I don’t think there was a claim that Daboll was unqualified, just that they were making a sham of the Rooney rule and never gave Flores a chance.

Interestingly Panthers interim coach Steve Wilks had joined in on Flores’ lawsuit.  But pretty sure he won’t be staying on as HC…

You aren't saying anything different than what I did.

• Thanks 1

On 11/15/2022 at 11:49 AM, TimHauck said:

People that think they should have been considered might care

Every hire in every field has people who have been passed over.   It is up the person hiring to decide who they want for the position.

MLB has hired former players as managers who never coached or managed one game anywhere.  I am sure plenty of people were passed over.  It happens

2 minutes ago, Mike Hunt said:

Every hire in every field has people who have been passed over.   It is up the person hiring to decide who they want for the position.

MLB has hired former players as managers who never coached or managed one game anywhere.  I am sure plenty of people were passed over.  It happens

Agree.  I don’t think it was worth being outraged over.  But definitely a surprise and newsworthy

11 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

Minority coach wouldn't have blown a 33-0 lead.  :rolleyes:

I want the world to know that I called that Colts loss at halftime.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MLCKAA said:

I want the world to know that I called that Colts loss at halftime.

Honest to god, I kind of did that when Houston was leading the Bills 35-3 in the playoffs.  Said at the time "With Buffalo's offense this isn't over yet".   I got laughed at that...then everyone thought I was psychic a few hours later.