Sign in to follow this  
craftsman

Demise of Biden’s student loan handout rocks Twitter: ‘Its only purpose was to buy votes’

4 minutes ago, Raven Fan said:

I don't disagree there are plenty of educated people in red states. The bigly majority of them of course are democrats.

But I based my statement about education on the education ranking of states.  Which ranks the educational quality of the primary, secondary, and college education available to a state's citizens.  In this ranking, red states do extremely poorly. 

So your contention is that people in red states vote for republicans because they are not as educated? That is what you just laid out, right? 

1 hour ago, Raven Fan said:

I don't disagree there are plenty of educated people in red states. The bigly majority of them of course are democrats.

But I based my statement about education on the education ranking of states.  Which ranks the educational quality of the primary, secondary, and college education available to a state's citizens.  In this ranking, red states do extremely poorly. 

If only education equated to intelligence. 

7 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

But everyone does it, right? Why the qualifier? 

qualifier or not, its still the truth. Student loan forgiveness is/was a joke... but I know you're not going to pretend that making promises that their voters want to hear is not a standard practice of ALL politicians

11 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

qualifier or not, its still the truth. Student loan forgiveness is/was a joke... but I know you're not going to pretend that making promises that their voters want to hear is not a standard practice of ALL politicians

This one was very specific. It’s not like promising you’re going to get tough on crime.  It was a targeted group of people being told they were getting something that wasn’t going to happen, would actually be illegal. Not your typical lie/flip flop. 

6 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

This one was very specific. It’s not like promising you’re going to get tough on crime.  It was a targeted group of people being told they were getting something that wasn’t going to happen, would actually be illegal. Not your typical lie/flip flop. 

just like messico paying for that wall :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

just like messico paying for that wall :lol:

Yeah. But even that wasn’t telling a specific group of people they were getting a check, that were never going to get a check. 

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

You guys have a point about the legality and why they decided on EO for this project.   That does add another element of stink to it.  

8 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Yeah. But even that wasn’t telling a specific group of people they were getting a check, that were never going to get a check. 

but it was basically telling a specific group of interested voters that they would get something they wanted and not have to pay a dime for it, when in reality US taxpayers paid for everything that was done. 

but yes, of course I do agree with you that in this situation you're promising people who have already paid, a refund "check". Unfortunately he made this promise and technically did deliver on "his end". Even though we all know what happened, cries of illegality would likely fall on deaf ears. 

6 hours ago, Raven Fan said:

What exactly is he?  A racist?

Because you'd think the first black president would have been hip to that before selecting him as VP.  Or does that not give him any non-racist cred?

Or are you saying he's not the brightest, cause I'll agree with you 100% there.  Obama himself said as much. 

Obama chose Biden as his VP because it was politically expedient.  Whether he thought Biden was racist is irrelevant.  You think Obama chose Biden because he thought he was competent or something?  Someone told him that based on data Biden would be a good choice.  Apparently it worked.  But Obama, who knows Biden as well as anyone in politics, famously said "Don't underestimate Joe's ability to fock things up."   Kameltoe pointed out his racism in the debates yet jumped at the chance to be his V.P.   She did that for the same reason Obama chose Joe  - political expediency.   So let's quit pretending that Dems wouldn't choose Joe despite his racist past.

• Haha 1

Anyone see the recent poll of people applying for Biden's loan forgiveness and how they plan to use the money?

https://www.intelligent.com/nearly-half-of-student-loan-forgiveness-recipients-will-use-relief-to-go-on-vacation/

Imagine you're a server at a nice restaurant who didn't go to college, and you have a couple of mid twenties doctors eating a $100 steak and bragging about how Obama paid for it with his loan forgiveness program.  Basically telling the server thanks for helping pay for their dinner.  What a kick in the gut. 

3 hours ago, dogcows said:

So you are in favor of repealing Chapter 11 (and 7 and 13 for that matter)?

I'm not an expert in those, but isn't there an expectation of some sort of restructuring plan?  Or do they just forgive the money and tell people to carry on?

My biggest complaint about the SLF is the lack of restructuring.  There is jack shiot about addressing the systemic problems that led to the mess.

It’s not exactly Biden’s fault that a court invalidated the move, which BTW, is still subject to appeal and almost definitely won’t be the final word.

However, I do suspect that Biden thought the move would be disallowed, and perhaps even sorta hoped it would be. He “scores” some points for trying but doesn’t have a backlash from succeeding.

No, I don’t approve of this, BTW.

He was trying to buy votes, nothing could be a more obvious. Both sides do this. Thankfully it won't go through.

The most preposterous part of this plan, is that if a Republican president came up with a plan to give singles making up to 125K & couples up to 250K, a $10,000 tax break/giveaway, the 1st thing Democrats would do is attack it as a giveaway to the rich, & demand those annual income caps be lowered substantially.

Apologies if I missed it, was there a higher turnout and/or a higher share voting Dem among young voters in this election compared to others? 

22 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

It’s not exactly Biden’s fault that a court invalidated the move, which BTW, is still subject to appeal and almost definitely won’t be the final word.

However, I do suspect that Biden thought the move would be disallowed, and perhaps even sorta hoped it would be. He “scores” some points for trying but doesn’t have a backlash from succeeding.

No, I don’t approve of this, BTW.

It is worth noting that the two suits are being brought by people who are essentially demanding more than the money designated and it will go to the 5th circuit, which is rather “conservative “

4 hours ago, dogcows said:

So you are in favor of repealing Chapter 11 (and 7 and 13 for that matter)?

I'm in favor of people who took out student loans to get an "education", paying those loans back. If they studied a worthless subject that employers don't find worthwhile for their business, that's on them.

Consider the lack of employment opportunities for people with your degree a post graduate education and go learn something useful so you can get a job and pay back what you owe. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 5-Points said:

I'm in favor of people who took out student loans to get an "education", paying those loans back. If they studied a worthless subject that employers don't find worthwhile for their business, that's on them.

Consider the lack of employment opportunities for people with your degree a post graduate education and go learn something useful so you can get a job and pay back what you owe. 

After reading your post, one thing is obvious. The odds of you becoming a politician are extremely low. The odds of you becoming a democrat politician are zero.

Far too much common sense.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Shooter McGavin said:

You listen to Dave Ramsey :lol:

Yeah. I like listening to his shows. He helps a shlt load of people while you spend your days whining about Trump to anyone who will listen. 

9 hours ago, TimHauck said:

People that go to college are career government leeches?

Historically they vote that way. Yes. They want the govenment's role to be to take care of them and everyone else. They can't fathom not being taken care of by mommy/daddy. Then they go out on their own and get a taste of what it's like to be in charge of their own lives and the strong ones love having no government interference in their lives and the weak ones stay liberal democrats. 

1 hour ago, 5-Points said:

So people that are shitty at business get bankruptcy protection but people who are shitty at school don’t? Super duper argument. I’m guessing you were shitty at both.

Just in case some people are unaware, if you do declare bankruptcy, school loans are the one type of loan immune from that protection. So you can’t restructure them using bankruptcy protections even if you wanted to.

55 minutes ago, easilyscan said:

After reading your post, one thing is obvious. The odds of you becoming a politician are extremely low. The odds of you becoming a democrat politician are zero.

Far too much common sense.

:D

I could never be a politician. I say what I mean, mean what I say and don't care if it offends anybody.  

5 minutes ago, dogcows said:

So people that are shitty at business get bankruptcy protection but people who are shitty at school don’t? Super duper argument. I’m guessing you were shitty at both.

Just in case some people are unaware, if you do declare bankruptcy, school loans are the one type of loan immune from that protection. So you can’t restructure them using bankruptcy protections even if you wanted to.

Should've read the fine print. Now refill my water and take these dirty dishes away. 

10 minutes ago, dogcows said:

Correct. Because at least opening businesses is an attempt to create jobs and offer products or services to the country.

Where as stupid individuals should be left to dry up and blow away. 

And great job by you going straight for the personal attack. Kind of like that one new guy here that when getting beat up in an argument he accuses people of not having an education. 

Plus, individuals can file for bankruptcy and then they can go to work and pay off their student loans.

6 minutes ago, dogcows said:

Guess who you can thank for that? Come on , guess.  I dare you. I double dare you!!!

5 minutes ago, 5-Points said:

Should've read the fine print. Now refill my water and take these dirty dishes away. 

That dude thinks everyone who makes $35,000 a year and maxes out their credit cards and buys a $50,000 car should be bailed out by the government (meaning by responsible people paying for it through taxes). Responsible people should carry the load of the weak and lazy and stupid.

4 minutes ago, craftsman said:

That dude thinks everyone who makes $35,000 a year and maxes out their credit cards and buys a $50,000 car should be bailed out by the government (meaning by responsible people paying for it through taxes). Responsible people should carry the load of the weak and lazy and stupid.

It's always the self proclaimed "educated" posters who have no idea how the real world works.  

Yet another thread concerning student loan debt, with no one addressing the root cause.

Tuition rates far exceeding the normal rate of inflation over the past 40 years. Gasoline prices go up and Biden wants to put a windfall tax on the oil companies, but tuition rates run wild for decades and no politician(s) have the balz to address it. Adjusted for inflation, gasoline prices are actually down since the 80s.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, easilyscan said:

Yet another thread concerning student loan debt, with no one addressing the root cause.

Tuition rates far exceeding the normal rate of inflation over the past 40 years. Gasoline prices go up and Biden wants to put a windfall tax on the oil companies, but tuition rates run wild for decades and no politician(s) have the balz to address it.

Yep. This is why the people in this country need to get smart. Go to a local community college for your first two years and save a shlt load of money right off the bat. Don't pay big dollars for education when you don't need to depending on what you want to do for a living. Go to trade schools if that is appealing to you and get it done quickly and learn on the job in apprenticeships. 

This way, the people will have spoken and the schools will suffer from lack of enrollment. That's instigates change. Fock the government if they want no part of it. Go around them and be more affective in the end anyway. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, easilyscan said:

Tuition rates far exceeding the normal rate of inflation over the past 40 years. Gasoline prices go up and Biden wants to put a windfall tax on the oil companies, but tuition rates run wild for decades and no politician(s) have the balz to address it. Adjusted for inflation, gasoline prices are actually down since the 80s.

Exactly, I know I am an old fart, but tuition at the UW is about 10X from when I was there in the 90s.   I guarantee wages haven't kept up with that.  I think a few things are broken with this system:

1.  Way too expensive from the jump

2.  There should be some sort of option for bankruptcy and other outs like other loans (yes, I get that there is nothing that can be recovered from the person like a car or house, so it should be extreme cases and we should be able to figure that out.  

3.  Overemphasis on a 4 year college education.   

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, 5-Points said:

It's always the self proclaimed "educated" posters who have no idea how the real world works.  

This site is a perfect microcosm of the left in this country. Every day on this site you can see one liberal or another touting their education against those who aren't liberal. Yet I would bet that the conservatives on this site as a whole are much more educationally well rounded and overall make a higher median salary than the left as a collective because the conservatives are simply smarter and more independent from the government in every way. 

Gutterpedo has a minor in finance and doesn’t know the difference between profit and revenue. Why should I have to pay for that level of education? 

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, craftsman said:

This site is a perfect microcosm of the left in this country. Every day on this site you can see one liberal or another touting their education against those who aren't liberal. Yet I would bet that the conservatives on this site as a whole are much more educationally well rounded and overall make a higher median salary than the left as a collective because the conservatives are simply smarter and more independent from the government in every way. 

I would bet you are dragging the average way down for the conservatives because "booger eating loser who collects food stamps" isn't a real job. 

11 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Tardcore got kicked out of the army, no education, and doesn't know what net or rates are.

I was never in the Army. Please. 

9 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Tardcore gets paid by the govt.

Yup.  It’s nice. 

This was obviously illegal from day 1. The one thing that the Ds have cornered the market on is tricking idiots into voting for them by dangling carrots pre election. You know, 'reparations',  'student loan cancellation', etc. They know they can fool these idiots over and over again.

It’s in the first article of the constitution. Congress, not the executive branch, controls the money. They wasted no time getting that in there. Hmmmm, highly educated! 

10 minutes ago, lod001 said:

This was obviously illegal from day 1. The one thing that the Ds have cornered the market on is tricking idiots into voting for them by dangling carrots pre election. You know, 'reparations',  'student loan cancellation', etc. They know they can fool these idiots over and over again.

Sad but true. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbestechcouncil/2020/04/29/technology-is-on-the-rise-while-iq-is-on-the-decline/?sh=3d639e00b103

43 minutes ago, Sean Mooney said:

I would bet you are dragging the average way down for the conservatives because "booger eating loser who collects food stamps" isn't a real job. 

Exactly making my point. You liberals have nothing left in your little data base so all you have are grade school cut downs. 

Thanks for joining.