Sign in to follow this  
WhiteWonder

** 2023 Golf Talk Thread **

We didn’t have one for 2022 so putting this out there ahead of time. 

Have had some nice days in the 70s here (northern NJ) lately. Getting a few rounds in when normally I’m done for the season. 

Back in August I adjusted my driver to lower loft so it’s now playing as a 7.5 degree. Didn’t take as long to get used to as I expected and it added some good distance 👍🏼

My group played up until last weekend, but it snowed in SW Ohio today and it doesn’t look good moving forward. I sent THIS link to my buddies this morning. We hope to keep the swings somewhat sharp through the winter so we don’t have much rust to kick off come spring. 

7.5 on the driver?  I have my Sim Max 10.5 turned up to 13 so it hits like a 2 wood. If I hit yours it would get more than 10ft off the ground. 

My wrist problem progressed this year, gonna have to just have it cut on, I guess. Even still, played some really solid golf this year. 

For the 1st time ever, switched to Vokey wedges - wow what a difference they made. 

NBC canned Roger Maltbie and Gary Koch from their broadcast team... Focking terrible call there. :rolleyes: 👎

5 hours ago, Cruzer said:

NBC canned Roger Maltbie and Gary Koch from their broadcast team... Focking terrible call there. :rolleyes: 👎

Have they named replacements yet?  I agree, dumb move. 

haven't played since the 1st week in August

23 hours ago, bostonlager said:

7.5 on the driver?  I have my Sim Max 10.5 turned up to 13 so it hits like a 2 wood. If I hit yours it would get more than 10ft off the ground. 

Yup. At 9.5 I was hitting it well but a bit high. No reason not to tinker with it, figured I’d switch it back if I didn’t like it. Lowered the trajectory, still easy to control, added nice distance. 

Played simulator golf for the first time today. It is the cure for winter time depression I’ve been looking for the past 42 years. Got a round in at Torrey Pines and at Turnberry. Got another reservation for Black Friday. 

56 minutes ago, bostonlager said:

Played simulator golf for the first time today. It is the cure for winter time depression I’ve been looking for the past 42 years. Got a round in at Torrey Pines and at Turnberry. Got another reservation for Black Friday. 

👍🏼  We’ve been going for years. One buddy has a membership and he never uses all his hours so when enough roll over 4 of us go. Range, pick a course, finish on the range again. 

My golf buddy got sick this week so I have to play alone. I got 72 simulator holes in this morning in a 2.5 hour session and have a reservation tomorrow for 5 hours. I will likely be able to get in 144 holes. 

24 minutes ago, bostonlager said:

My golf buddy got sick this week so I have to play alone. I got 72 simulator holes in this morning in a 2.5 hour session and have a reservation tomorrow for 5 hours. I will likely be able to get in 144 holes. 

Hah. That’s nuts. I’ve never been alone but imagine I could do 72 holes in the same amount of time since we always use auto putting. I’ve seen people in other rooms actually putting and it looks awful. Waste of time. 

playing courses on the simulator is fun but I prefer just to go for the data. When our group plays and I shoot 70, it’s because the comp is giving me more 1 putts than I would have in real life by far. Bunkers are not very realistic etc. but it’s still fun. 

8 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

Hah. That’s nuts. I’ve never been alone but imagine I could do 72 holes in the same amount of time since we always use auto putting. I’ve seen people in other rooms actually putting and it looks awful. Waste of time. 

playing courses on the simulator is fun but I prefer just to go for the data. When our group plays and I shoot 70, it’s because the comp is giving me more 1 putts than I would have in real life by far. Bunkers are not very realistic etc. but it’s still fun. 

I set it up at auto gimme putt for anything inside 15 feet. It gives me some putts I normally wouldn't make so I always figure add 5-10 strokes to my score. 

Today I went 70, 73, 70, 72

13 minutes ago, bostonlager said:

I set it up at auto gimme putt for anything inside 15 feet. It gives me some putts I normally wouldn't make so I always figure add 5-10 strokes to my score. 

Today I went 70, 73, 70, 72

For us, once everyone is on the green it just auto putts. So it will dish out some 3 putts, 2 putts from 5 feet, 1 putts from 25 feet. 

adding 5-10 strokes is probably the way to go 

trying to find a discounted set of p790 irons 4-pw... having no luck.  I remember when I bought my callaway xforged I got them for $300 brand new on ebay (retail was maybe $799). I was so worried they were really well done knock offs I ended up calling callaway and they confirmed the ebay seller was a buyer from them. 

I used to get some really great deals on season old models of clubs.  Doesn't seem doable anymore.

40 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

trying to find a discounted set of p790 irons 4-pw... having no luck.  I remember when I bought my callaway xforged I got them for $300 brand new on ebay (retail was maybe $799). I was so worried they were really well done knock offs I ended up calling callaway and they confirmed the ebay seller was a buyer from them. 

I used to get some really great deals on season old models of clubs.  Doesn't seem doable anymore.

Have you checked the classifieds on golfwrx.com? 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/forum/56-classifieds-for-sale-forum/

3 minutes ago, Fireballer said:

Have you checked the classifieds on golfwrx.com? 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/forum/56-classifieds-for-sale-forum/

have not browsed there for anything in a while. I'd be looking for new but if the price was right would go pre owned great condition.

I've never got into the simulator golf in the off-season, just isn't the same. Once the clubs go in the closet in November or whenever they stay there until the spring. I played like 65-70 rounds last year so I definitely get my fix.

4 minutes ago, dain11279 said:

I've never got into the simulator golf in the off-season, just isn't the same. Once the clubs go in the closet in November or whenever they stay there until the spring. I played like 65-70 rounds last year so I definitely get my fix.

The putting definitely sucks. I've been doing it just to keep my swing and ball striking in shape so I don't have any rust to knock off come spring. 

8 hours ago, WhiteWonder said:

Deals aren't there anymore across the board.  Things go up over time but this was over night.  I used to easily be able to find really nice golf shirts and shorts for 25-30 bucks an item from those online golf warehouses.  They still have clothing for those prices but it is all base model stuff.  I used to be able to get the real quality 80 dollar shirts for 25 bucks.   Not so much anymore.   

Clubs in general have exploded.   

4 hours ago, listen2me 23 said:

Deals aren't there anymore across the board.  Things go up over time but this was over night.  I used to easily be able to find really nice golf shirts and shorts for 25-30 bucks an item from those online golf warehouses.  They still have clothing for those prices but it is all base model stuff.  I used to be able to get the real quality 80 dollar shirts for 25 bucks.   Not so much anymore.   

Clubs in general have exploded.   

I expect to pay more of course as prices have been up for a while across the board. Drivers used to top out at $299. A top end iron set with steel shafts would max at $899. 

I just used to have go to eBay sellers that had brand new TM and Callaway products that were maybe a season old but still significantly cheaper than retail in a store. Like my xforged iron example. I’d just expect to find a new iron set for maybe $700 now if those deals still existed. 

Clubs have gotten more expensive, but the way they're made now - being able to switch out shafts and heads w/only a wrench, that kind of thing makes it not seem so bad to me. The club that's gone off the charts, just stupid expensive - is the putter. Scotty's have always been high, but now Oddysey and the rest have figured out the masses will pay out the ass for their stuff too. 

As far as apparel, no way in hell would I ever pay more than $30 for a golf shirt. I find name brand stuff on eBay and discount outlets. 

"Played" 9 holes today.  Windiest ive ever played in possibly.    But it was high 60s.  I wont see thr course again for a month.  We have had a really easy winter especially February.   Bout to get smacked in March I bet.  

I had a tee time set for Friday morning but its supposed to be decently heavy rain tomorrow and Friday so we switched it to indoor golf Friday evening. 

Just now, WhiteWonder said:

I had a tee time set for Friday morning but its supposed to be decently heavy rain tomorrow and Friday so we switched it to indoor golf Friday evening. 

We dont have tee times for like a month and half here.   I usually walk around my home course a couple times before late March.    They dont officially open until april 1st or so.  I was 1 or 4 vehicles there.  My buddy had to bail today so it was just me.  But i love it.  Something id miss if I lived in year round warm climate.   (I known you arent south)

5 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

We dont have tee times for like a month and half here.   I usually walk around my home course a couple times before late March.    They dont officially open until april 1st or so.  I was 1 or 4 vehicles there.  My buddy had to bail today so it was just me.  But i love it.  Something id miss if I lived in year round warm climate.   (I known you arent south)

a decent amount of courses stay open provided no snow. Including my 2 county courses. I was hoping to sneak in one more round before I have to renew my card for the coming season. I got out once on a decently warm day in January. 

a decent amount of courses stay open provided no snow. Including my 2 county courses. I was hoping to sneak in one more round before I have to renew my card for the coming season. I got out once on a decently warm day in January. 

The no snow thing just isn't an option here lol.  But we have had a pretty easy winter thus far.   Still have a ways to go.  Id rather get drilled in February than March.   Last time I played I think was early November.  

Was 82* here today...........front will make it 45* 2moro.... Playing all weekend with temps back in the 60s and 70s. 

Switched to the Srixon XV late last year, still loving them. Picked up 5 doz from last year's model for $35 each. 

Snuck out to the range today, 72 in Southern Indiana. Hit it better than I thought I would. 

Bring on spring.

What apps do you guys use for yardage/keeping your handicap? 4 years ago when I signed up for the Grint it was $20/year for everything. Now it's $40 plus an additional $45 for USGA payment to keep your handicapp. There has to be a better option. 

12 minutes ago, bostonlager said:

What apps do you guys use for yardage/keeping your handicap? 4 years ago when I signed up for the Grint it was $20/year for everything. Now it's $40 plus an additional $45 for USGA payment to keep your handicapp. There has to be a better option. 

I’ve used the grint for 3, this will be my 4th season. I’ve never paid for anything and to be honest, I usually keep a scorecard and then enter everything in after. I just like it as a way to track my scores and stats and it gives me a handicap estimate. 

I think I was initially confused by if the handicap through them was legit and just never did it. I can pay $40 with my county membership for a GHIN and from what I read in an email they sent, I can link my own GHIN number at no cost 🤷🏻‍♂️

Taking a look at my Grint stats from 2022…

Id like to focus on improving 2 specific areas of my game this year to lower my scores. 
1. Ball striking with Irons. My GIR needs a lot of work. FIR improvement would be nice but generally my fairway misses are just off or long enough to take out a lot of the trouble and put a wedge or short iron in hand… so it would be nice to capitalize and hit more greens. My par 3 GIR was particularly pathetic. 

2. 3 putt avoidance. I improved last season but the numbers show I still 3 putt too often from 30+ feet. 

i know no one gives a shiit but I like using the stats to see where I can benefit the most with practice 

2 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

Taking a look at my Grint stats from 2022…

Id like to focus on improving 2 specific areas of my game this year to lower my scores. 
1. Ball striking with Irons. My GIR needs a lot of work. FIR improvement would be nice but generally my fairway misses are just off or long enough to take out a lot of the trouble and put a wedge or short iron in hand… so it would be nice to capitalize and hit more greens. My par 3 GIR was particularly pathetic. 

2. 3 putt avoidance. I improved last season but the numbers show I still 3 putt too often from 30+ feet. 

i know no one gives a shiit but I like using the stats to see where I can benefit the most with practice 

This is my big one. 30+ feet can be a dumpster fire for me at times.  

8 minutes ago, bostonlager said:

This is my big one. 30+ feet can be a dumpster fire for me at times.  

I find everything starts with 5 footers.   I used to be an excellent putter, strongest part of my game.  A handful of years ago I developed some sort of yips from inside 6 or 7 feet.  As a result I make fewer putts from 15 or 20 because I am worried too much about my next putt.  It didn't really change my lag putting from deep.  I am still fairly good there.  But I notice I don't make nearly as many as I used to from like 15 to 20 feet.  And I think for some it will definitely hinder lag putting because you are trying to steer it in there close rather than giving it an honest stroke.  

To me if you are good from 6 feet and in, it opens up a ton more from distance.   

21 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

I find everything starts with 5 footers.   I used to be an excellent putter, strongest part of my game.  A handful of years ago I developed some sort of yips from inside 6 or 7 feet.  As a result I make fewer putts from 15 or 20 because I am worried too much about my next putt.  It didn't really change my lag putting from deep.  I am still fairly good there.  But I notice I don't make nearly as many as I used to from like 15 to 20 feet.  And I think for some it will definitely hinder lag putting because you are trying to steer it in there close rather than giving it an honest stroke.  

To me if you are good from 6 feet and in, it opens up a ton more from distance.   

I am best from 10-15 feet or so because the pressure is off. A make is a bonus but not expected. Therefor I think I tend to make more of those. People see me drop a few and think I’m a great putter. 
I do struggle from 3-5 feet, especially if it’s to clean up my 2 putt so there is truth to what you’re saying but I also feel like I should be able to leave more 30 footers inside a 3 foot circle. 

3-5 feet is less of a struggle when it’s for an up and down. 

I am best from 8-15 feet or so because the pressure is off. A make is a bonus but not expected. Therefor I think I tend to make more of those. People see me drop a few and think I’m a great putter. 
I do struggle from 3-5 feet, especially if it’s to clean up my 2 putt so there is truth to what you’re saying but I also feel like I should be able to leave more 30 footers inside a 3 foot circle. 

3-5 feet is less of a struggle when it’s for an up and down. 

I find 3 or 5 footers the same no matter what unless its for like triple.   Im standing over it.  The hole is RIGHT there.   I feel I should make those most of the time no matter the situation.  They all count the same to me.  

I don't feel you can correct lagging putts from 30 40 feet.   Its a feel thing.  Maybe more reps the better.  I just think when you are confident in your 5 foot putts then you tend to hit a more natural lag.   We all know the feeling of not caring.   It is easy to chip and putt on the practice green.  I think if you are confident in your next putt being made then you will lag more putts close just out of "not caring" or not trying too hard.  I know id make a ton more 20 footers if I wasn't worried about running them 5 feet by.  Since my 5 foot putting game at the moment can look atrocious on any given round.  And my lag putting is solid but all for nothing when you lag to 3.5 feet from a ridiculous spot 40 feet away and your buddy says wow great putt.  Then you go up and miss the clean up anyway.  When I go to the putting green I may hit a lag or 2 from deep to get a feel but normally I am just hitting putts from inside 10 feet.  To me close putting is the key to everything and the quickest way to imrpove for an amateur.   That and green side chipping.  

I have a friend who is a 6 or 7 handicap.  Better than me. We hit the ball similar.  But from greenside it is like a lag putt for him.  He consistently chips it to inside 6 feet and is very good at cleaning up the 5 footers.  He doesn't hit that many greens for a 6 handicap.  But it isn't uncommon for him to get up and down like 10 times and only shoot 5 or 6 over.  I envy it.  The funny thing is if he hit more greens his score may hardly improve because of his rate of up and downs.  

17 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

I am best from 10-15 feet or so because the pressure is off. A make is a bonus but not expected. Therefor I think I tend to make more of those. People see me drop a few and think I’m a great putter. 
I do struggle from 3-5 feet, especially if it’s to clean up my 2 putt 

Not to argue about this.  But Im not understanding this.   You put more pressure on yourself to clean up a 2 putt rather than clean up a chip? Even if it is for the same score?    So a 5 footer for par after a lag putt is more difficult for you than a 5 footer for par after a chip?